• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

Also, why does everyone think Medusa would be a Palutena Echo?
At face value it's not a huge stretch.

Two tall and thin women with very similar builds and outfits and abilities yet at polar opposites with one being Light and the other Darkness.

Problems arise once you start looking at them beyond face value.

Also something something "Kid Icarus doesn't deserve more than two unique characters" fan ****.

Last edited:

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
I am not sure if anyone realized it...actually why isn't everyone trying to talk about it?
https://www.inverse.com/article/49608-smash-ultimate-leaks-medusa-on-roster

Seems like Medusa might have been leaked unintentionally. In the summary, it says that the Voice Actress for her retweeted or liked that post about whenever she would be in game, but then unliked/untweeted it.
>we have stronger evidence Medusa is in!
>evidence consists of Medusa's VA retweeting support for a character SHE plays

...seriously?

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
Post your predictions
-Nintendo announces new Smash Direct tomorrow, scheduled for transmission this Tuesday
-Geno makes it in
-Surprise 3rd party character at the end of the direct
-Direct will start with already know 3DS titles like Luigis Mansion remake (that comes out next week) and a new port
-A bit more insight in the online service
-Ending with a few switch titles, like the TWEWY Final Remix
-Neku sakuraba for smash

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I don’t really get this “Skull Kid was replaced by the Moon” thing. Sure they’re both from Majora’s Mask, but they don’t behave the same way at all. You can have more than one Assist Trophy from the same game as well. If we got another AT that did what Skull Kid does then I think there’d be a point, but the Moon isn’t Skull Kid so I’m not really sure the point carries much weight.
Well rambling evil mushroom did take away one of Skull Kid's abilities in Sm4sh. Reversing the players controls.
Just pointing that out.

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
This isn't any different than the guy who works on KH showing support for Sora only later deleting said tweet.

Until evidence arises, it means nothing.
Calm down, I get it already. But why would that KH3 guy delete the tweet? I get that he works for Kingdom Hearts 3, but it sounds like a strange, cryptic tweet. Doesn't this strike you as slightly odd?

Chrono.

Well rambling evil mushroom did take away one of Skull Kid's abilities in Sm4sh. Reversing the players controls.
Just pointing that out.
Shadow and the Timer had the same function for two games straight.

Skull Kid and Palkia also had similar abilities.

I don't know if they'd start caring now about this stuff.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
All good points!

was waddle dee not shown at ALL for king dedede during the smash4 speculation cycle? like we havent seen dedede get carried onto the stage, again his final smash SHOULD have waddle dee cameoing in the background... its just very very odd.

diddy losing his tail attack is the oddest i cant think of another purpose for that beyond dixie, the alts of course like you said we cant see them all to find out.

skull kid and shadow like you said its just weird whats going on with them but of course they might just be assist trophies again and we havent seen them... tho it would mean two MM assist trophy reps and two Sonic assist trophy reps so maybe they are somewhere else? i dunno. its odd.

black knight is the weakest argument admittedly, i was just trying to cover everyone i could think of thats in this type of situation.
I....don't know if King Dedede's entrance was shown pre-release. It's definitely not on the site and he wasn't playable in the E3 2014 demo, but who knows with POTD.

However I do think I remember people getting excited that Waddle Dee was removed from his side B. And it meant nothing. I don't know, I just think the characters from previous roles being hidden is more suspicious, especially when we have Dark Samus, Chrom & Isabelle.

D

Deleted member

Post your predictions
-Nintendo announces new Smash Direct tomorrow, scheduled for transmission this Tuesday
-Geno makes it in
-Shadow and Ken are the final Echo newcomers.
-Incineroar and Elma are confirmed
-The final newcomer is a Dragon Quest Protagonist.
-Spirits mode is a new Adventure Mode.
-No matter what happens, there will be salt.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
So theres a few characters suspiciously "missing" this time around... I dont expect us to get too many more fighters but I find some of these changes very odd if the character ISNT in the game somewhere in some other form OR some of these might be purposely left out so that they can be in as DLC perhaps?

Those characters are:

Waddle Dee - totally missing from all things king dedede as far as we've seen and he's missing in the background of dedede's final smash where he'd fit as a great cameo.

Dixie Kong - diddy appears to not have the dixie alt costume (samus and ike lost their alt costumes for dark smaus and chrom and now both of them are playable fighters) and doesnt have his tail attack, dixie has no tail so this sort of point towards an echo.

Skull Kid - replaced by just the moon as the majoras mask assist trophy, has a decent enough chance still to be a potential unique newcomer for the zelda series and also could potentially be a "boss" as we know bosses are in this game somewhere (rathalos and dracula) in his majoras wrath form or something.

Shadow - also missing from the assist trophies as hes been replaced by knuckles as a sonic series assist character but also makes an "easy" echo of sonic due to his body shape, is a "sort of" villain though so could be a boss perhaps?

Black Knight - background of castle siege has changed and he's gone (if it was him back there to begin with), could be an ike echo perhaps though body shape wise might be difficult with the armor... but he could be a boss as well.

There are other assist trophy characters we havent seen return yet and some pokeball pokemon we havent seen as well but those ones above seem to have the most seemingly odd changes happening in this game which make little sense if they are NOT included in the game somewhere else (as far as we've seen). Did i miss anyone? I wrote this out fast cause its on my mind so im not being super thorough here.
Yeah, if some of these aren't in base, I half expect quite a few of them to make it via DLC.

beans

Smash Lord
To this day, I still find this image funny:

I also want to measure Lucas's head compared to Richter's.
Richter the slayer of Dracula
Also Richter, the guy who brought Dracula back in Symphony of the Night
Also also Richter "this little girl knows magic, she can come with to Dracula's Castle" Belmont
What a hero

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I don’t really get this “Skull Kid was replaced by the Moon” thing. Sure they’re both from Majora’s Mask, but they don’t behave the same way at all. You can have more than one Assist Trophy from the same game as well. If we got another AT that did what Skull Kid does then I think there’d be a point, but the Moon isn’t Skull Kid so I’m not really sure the point carries much weight.
While we have had multiple assists from one games, it seems to be from series where the number of games are limited or where one game is given special treatment in other regards (e.g. Magnus and Phosphora from Kid Icarus Uprising). It seems a stranger choice for Zelda when they could have chosen an assist from any other game, including Breath of the Wild (not to say we won't have one). It'd also be weird to have both the Moon and Skull Kid as separate assists as both are so closely connected in Majora's Mask.

There's also other potential clues suggesting that Skull Kid's assist trophy may have been removed. With the addition of the Ramblin' Evil Mushroom and the return of Palkia as a stage hazard, 2/3 of Skull Kid's effects (reverse controls, stage flipping) are replicated elsewhere. Him being an assist trophy just seems increasingly redundant. While I don't know what they're going to do with Skull Kid (playable? boss? nothing?), I'd put money on him no longer being an assist.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Just pointing that out.
An item and an AT are two completely different things though.

I mean, Shadow is essentially just a glorified Timer, but the two can still coexist together.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Long post so gonna spoil it.

Final Smash Direct is announced tomorrow. The following is revealed on Wednesday or Thursday.

Option 1:
69: Incineroar
70: Geno
38e: Shadow
54e: Medusa
60e: Ken

or

70: Tails

Geno announced as first DLC character similar to Mewtwo in Sm4sh

Option 2:
70: Skull Kid
71: Geno

or

71: Tails

-

Alola stage
Forest Maze/Star Road
Kirby stage or Monster Hunter stage (Stage where you fight Rathatos)
Minecraft stage (Along with assist trophy)
Yoshi's Crafted World

-

Sakurai reveals what Spirits is as well as the rest of the assist trophies.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
An item and an AT are two completely different things though.

I mean, Shadow is essentially just a glorified Timer, yet the two can still coexist together.
Yes misread, but the function was replaced.
Again, it more or less means nothing.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Long post so gonna spoil it.

Final Smash Direct is announced tomorrow. The following is revealed on Wednesday or Thursday.

Option 1:
70: Geno

or

70: Tails

Option 2:
71: Geno

or

71: Tails

-

Alola stage
Forest Maze/Star Road
Kirby stage
Minecraft stage (Along with assist trophy)
Yoshi's Crafted World

-

Sakurai reveals what Spirits is as well as the rest of the assist trophies.
Here's the worst option (for some) we could get:

We get everything revealed in 1-2 weeks, but the demo is available nowhere until the release date.

I know there are events going on until the end of the year, so don't take this to heart. Not bad for me either.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Calm down, I get it already. But why would that KH3 guy delete the tweet? I get that he works for Kingdom Hearts 3, but it sounds like a strange, cryptic tweet. Doesn't this strike you as slightly odd?
Well, just take Hashimoto's tweet as Showing his support.
He's the Co-Creator of KH and a senior chairman at Square-Enix, I'm 99% sure that he knows who will get added in Smash as the Seconds Square-Enix characters whenever it's Geno, Sora, Crono or Pampa. So, I'm sure that even showing support (Or rather answering "YES!" to a tweeting asking him "Please Hashimoto-san #Sora4Smash) can be a problem for him and he knew that, explaining why he deleted it sonic Fast.
However, unline the Medusa VA, Hashimoto is known to have more than once slipped his tongue on multiple matters in the recent years like KHIII frozen world a year before being revealed and backpedaling, the PS4 version of FFVII and the Remake of FFVII.

But still, even if there is evidence than he's more than slippy, in the end, he's probably just someone who wanted to show support for the games he worked on and nothing more than that. And maybe that showing support to that characters, even not in smash, was breaking NDA-
Or he was just scared to create false hope...Which he did and just leave us more confused

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Here's the worst option (for some) we could get:

We get everything revealed in 1-2 weeks, but the demo is available nowhere until the release date.

I know there are events going on until the end of the year, so don't take this to heart. Not bad for me either.
If I were Nintendo and Sakurai though I'd do the final Direct now to prevent leaks how Brawl and Sm4sh had their rosters revealed before release and announcement. November is a bad time for leaks. It'd be a smart move on their part and it also follows a pattern June>August>October>December.

You'd think they would learn from that?

Last edited:

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
If I were Nintendo and Sakurai though I'd do the final Direct now to prevent leaks how Brawl and Sm4sh had their rosters revealed before release and announcement. November is a bad time for leaks. It'd be a smart move on their part and it also follows a pattern June>August>October>December.

You'd think they would learn from that?
Great thought, marketing wise this would be the optimal way to keep hype up and avoiding leaks.

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
That is a good question, what characters have milestone anniversaries this year?

Majora's Mask is 18 this year...

Banjo & Kazooie are 20 this year...

Probably means nothing, but good to keep these in mind.

EDIT: Little Mac was shown RIGHT on his 30th anniversary date. So who knows?
Hmm... Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, the philosopher behind the works "Der Wille zur Macht", "Jenseits von Gut und Böse", and "Also sprach Zarathustra," which *heavily* influenced the themes of Xenosaga (also literally used as the subtitles for each game) was born on October 15th, 1844.

...Yeah... that's all I got.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So if Dragon Quest was to get one of their Protagonists in Ultimate, who is the most likely Protagonist?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If my prediction is true. It wouldn't honestly surprise me if Banjo-Kazooie are the second character announced for DLC in December before the 7th after Geno is on the final Smash Direct.

It'd be a means to commemorate their 20th anniversary after all.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Post your predictions
-Geno makes it in
-No Smash direct announcement, but a reveal trailer will be shown instead sometime this week.
-The trailer reveals Incineroar and Ken.
-The final smash direct is announced at the end of the video for near the end of October.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Richter the slayer of Dracula
Also Richter, the guy who brought Dracula back in Symphony of the Night
Also also Richter "this little girl knows magic, she can come with to Dracula's Castle" Belmont
What a hero
To be fair, 1) Shaft controlled him and 2) said little girl is hella strong compared to him. Besides, he wouldn't say no to a lady.

However I do think I remember people getting excited that Waddle Dee was removed from his side B. And it meant nothing. I don't know, I just think the characters from previous roles being hidden is more suspicious, especially when we have Dark Samus, Chrom & Isabelle.
Agreed. There's still no peep from Saki, Isaac, Skull Kid, Kat/Ana and Shadow among others.

To this day, I still find this image funny:

I also want to measure Lucas's head compared to Richter's.
The contrast between character designs is one thing I love about this series.

Also, Lucas continues to suffer.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It's probably a coincidence but Dragon Ball seems to take their designs off of Dragon Quest or is it perhaps inspired by it? Wouldn't surprise me...

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Post your predictions
-Geno makes it in
- November 1, 3PM PST, 1hr long. Suck it up, more people can wait so long than y'all realize...
- Discussion about good old "Spirits mode"!
- Some Ninty newcomer. Let's hypothesize...Marx GETS HIS WISH!
- Brief overview about Marx or other hypothetical Ninty newcomer.
- New remaining stages, starting out with Minecraft and corresponding AT.
- "Celebration" stage, most likely represented by a certain play room.
- Special Assist Trophy/Pokémon Parade! All the rest that the 8.8 Direct missed out on are confirmed, and there might be salt ahead for supporters of certain characters.
- DLC confirmation, with Ken and Geno for starters.
- Final main point is a second newcomer that not many people requested, complete with a nice, hand-drawn animation trailer. For example: Shantae IS RET-2-GO!
- Brief overview electric boogaloo. Obviously, this has to do with the unexpected newcomer (And extra stage depending on who it is).
- Farewell and an exclusive do-over of the E3 trailer.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm still going to laugh my ass off if the thing we've been hyping ourselves up over for the past week ends up not happening.

All the pieces are in place between "NEW" vanishing and the Youtube Playlist being updated, but without official word, there's not much we can do.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm still going to laugh my *** off if the thing we've been hyping ourselves up over for the past week ends up not happening.

All the pieces are in place between "NEW" vanishing and the Youtube Playlist being updated, but without official word, there's not much we can do.
If that does happen. I then fear for the sake of this community in the aftermath of it.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Doing a direct to reveal the last stuff now would be dumb, since that's two months with nothing new to show off. Early November would be much better for them

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Doing a direct to reveal the last stuff now would be dumb, since that's two months with nothing new to show off. Early November would be much better for them
Actually it'd be the better idea because I don't know if you noticed but the last two Smash games had their full rosters leaked before launch and November is a terrible time for leaks. Best get it done with to prevent that.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
All good points!

was waddle dee not shown at ALL for king dedede during the smash4 speculation cycle? like we havent seen dedede get carried onto the stage, again his final smash SHOULD have waddle dee cameoing in the background... its just very very odd.

diddy losing his tail attack is the oddest i cant think of another purpose for that beyond dixie, the alts of course like you said we cant see them all to find out.

skull kid and shadow like you said its just weird whats going on with them but of course they might just be assist trophies again and we havent seen them... tho it would mean two MM assist trophy reps and two Sonic assist trophy reps so maybe they are somewhere else? i dunno. its odd.

black knight is the weakest argument admittedly, i was just trying to cover everyone i could think of thats in this type of situation.
Skull Kid is one mystery, but I’ll be furious if they spent all this time leaving Shadow MIA only to show him as an Assist Trophy again. The previous Directs have been quick to cross off a large number of names and Knuckles has been shown several times now. I’m still fully betting on Shadow and Ken being revealed together because it’s just so logical.

Black Knight is also a weird case. I’m in the crowd that believes it was him in Castle Siege for the previous games, so removing him entirely is odd. His armoured physique is the only thing really impeding him from being an Ike Echo; they canonically wield sister swords and were taught by the same man. I’m prepared to accept that he may have been chosen as a boss honestly, but we’ll have to wait and see.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Yeah, those are my thoughts exact;y... I wouldn't expect review copies to drop until like 2 weeks prior to release, so there would still be time before leaks...

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
All good points!

Um we really don't know if Diddy doesn't use his tail anymore, that could be his gentlemen jab.

I wonder why Bandana Dee is so unlucky...

Shroob

Sup?
I'm not counting the first week of December since, that's when the game comes out, so it's pretty obvious that we wouldn't get anything then.

And even ignoring the first week of December, by next week, we'll have 7 weeks until Smash comes out if we have a Direct next week.

I really don't see the big difference between 7 weeks compared to 5 weeks, personally. The game's going to be out before we know it at this point.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I can't believe you were all talking about internet-breaking characters and forgot about this old legend;

Flappy Bird
Rises from the grave!
...D'ya guys think Link likes slushies? If he does, what KIND of slushie. And what about other characters on the roster? Do they like slushies? If anyone gets this joke, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Do you think Link likes peanut butter and jelly with his slushies?

I get the reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom