• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm not counting the first week of December since, that's when the game comes out, so it's pretty obvious that we wouldn't get anything then.

And even ignoring the first week of December, by next week, we'll have 7 weeks until Smash comes out if we have a Direct next week.

I really don't see the big difference between 7 weeks compared to 5 weeks, personally. The game's going to be out before we know it at this point.
Yes, it's entirely ridiculous to assume it'd be two months of no news when it's really just one month and a week.

I can't believe you were all talking about internet-breaking characters and forgot about this old legend;

Flappy Bird
Rises from the grave!
Do you think Link likes peanut butter and jelly with his slushies?

I get the reference.
Honestly, I think the Pyoro bird would make more sense.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Having no info for a month before release is also stupid, especially when the reasoning is to prevent leaks that most people won't see

Shroob

Sup?
Having no info for a month before release is also stupid, especially when the reasoning is to prevent leaks that most people won't see
"Most people won't see"

You underestimate just how overpowering the ESRB leak was. Literally every youtube channel that even so much as covered Smash once was talking about it.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Smash isn't the only game Nintendo has up its sleeve ya know. Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee release next month and that's gonna sell a **** ton (I will be one of those buyers, sooner or later...).

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
"Most people won't see"

You underestimate just how overpowering the ESRB leak was. Literally every youtube channel that even so much as covered Smash once was talking about it.
I doubt most of the 15 million people who are gonna buy this game would see those videos. Maybe, like 2 or 3 million.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
More yikes content
Then just STOP SHOWING IT.

You know by linking these videos you supposedly hate, you're effectively spreading his content, and giving him free advertising and ad revenue for his clickbait content. Let his videos rot instead of giving him the attention he so desperately craves.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I doubt most of the 15 million people who are gonna buy this game would see those videos. Maybe, like 2 or 3 million.
Even averaging high, that's 1/5th of your playerbase.

Sakurai's statement of him wanting to reveal every character before launch is pretty ****ing obvious as to why, especially when he's gone on record to say that the ESRB was really ****ing depressing for him.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Smash isn't the only game Nintendo has up its sleeve ya know. Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee release next month and that's gonna sell a **** ton (I will be one of those buyers, sooner or later...).
I too will buy it, but i'll complain the whole way!
They can force me to buy it by putting a new Pokemon in it, but they can't force me to have fun!

Graizen

Smash Champion
I know its not Smash related but.
My mother uncle is in the hospital, pray for him please. Im good, but everyone is worried.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I know its not Smash related but.
My mother uncle is in the hospital, pray for him please. Im good, but everyone is worried.
I hope he gets well soon. Tell him some random loser on an internet message board is looking out for him, i'm sure that'll make him feel better.
And confused.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Sakurai's statement of him wanting to reveal every character before launch is pretty ****ing obvious as to why, especially when he's gone on record to say that the ESRB was really ****ing depressing for him.
This is why I think next week we're getting the final Smash Direct. After the last two leaks. He wants to be sure it doesn't happen again.

Shroob

Sup?
People that say

"But November will be dead, that's terrible marketing!" are looking at this way too close-mindedly.

November doesn't belong to Smash, it belongs to LGPE. The game literally comes out like, a week before Black Friday, It is going to be the game that Nintendo tries to PUSH really hard then and there.

All Sakurai has to do when it comes to November is say a very simple phrase during the Direct, and literally no one will complain about no 'news' in November.

"We will be hosting a Demo for Super Smash Brothers Ultimate sometime in November. Please, stay tuned for a date."

And beyond that, what happens the literal day before Smash comes out?

The game awards.

Revealing 'something' at the game awards, probably a highly requested DLC character, would be a massive final push.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

Still not a reason to reveal everything so far ahead of release. Second week of November would be the perfect time

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
So if Dragon Quest was to get one of their Protagonists in Ultimate, who is the most likely Protagonist?
Is there any reason that we can't get most of the player characters in the same vein as we got all of the Koopalings? I'm not particularly familiar with the franchise, admittedly, but from what I've seen of DQ gameplay aren't they all pretty generic silent protagonists that can do a basic set of actions (even if later games introduced some new options in addition to the classic ones) in the classic RPG tradition?

Shroob

Sup?
Still not a reason to reveal everything so far ahead of release. Second week of November would be the perfect time
That's just like, your opinion, man, and I can't change it.

As someone who's looking at this from a pure marketing perspective, it makes perfect sense.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
t comes to November is say a very simple phrase during the Direct, and literally no one will complain about no 'news' in November.

even more info and gameplay videos of real matches with the newcomers would be hype enough to endure november... (i really want a real match video featuring Simon DX)

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
God I hope we get an announcement tomorrow. I want to speculate characters but we can't even be sure we are getting anything lol.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
No, it wouldn't.

Smash Ultimate and LGP/E would be clashing with each other. That is not a smart move. Having the final direct this month would be the optimal one. It gets ahead of the leaks and ties the fanbase over until release. Waiting till November is too risky.

And 61 days is not that long. It will be here before we know it.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
That's just like, your opinion, man, and I can't change it.

As someone who's looking at this from a pure marketing perspective, it makes perfect sense.
I'm looking at it from a marketing perspective too. Revealing the last info this early is pretty foolish.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
No, it wouldn't.

Smash Ultimate and LGP/E would be clashing with each other. That is not a smart move. Having the final direct this month would be the optimal one. It gets ahead of the leaks and ties the fanbase over until release. Waiting till November is too risky.

This guy knows what he's talking about.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Is there any reason that we can't get most of the player characters in the same vein as we got all of the Koopalings? I'm not particularly familiar with the franchise, admittedly, but from what I've seen of DQ gameplay aren't they all pretty generic silent protagonists that can do a basic set of actions (even if later games introduced some new options in addition to the classic ones) in the classic RPG tradition?
This is why I'm saying that if we were to get any Toriyama designed character, it should 100% go to Chrono Trigger, not Dragon Quest. While Dragon Quest as a series is immensely popular, none of the games are nearly as recognizable or memorable as Chrono Trigger was.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm looking at it from a marketing perspective too. Revealing the last info this early is pretty foolish.
Again, no it's not, but I'm not going to change your mindset.

You're acting like the characters are all that matters here.

You know what would make people NUTT? A playable demo you can download from the comfort of their own home in the middle of November.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
No, it wouldn't.

Nintendo dropped the Switch trailer like, two weeks before Sun/Moon came out. "Clashing with each other" isn't that much of a reason

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Doing a direct to reveal the last stuff now would be dumb, since that's two months with nothing new to show off. Early November would be much better for them
Yes and no, i mean the optimal scenario would be one announcement before mid october and one in early november. We are fast approaching mid october so we there still hope for a direct.

But i wouldnt be surprised if we dont get anything october and just one major announcement in november, which is what im expecting.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Its not really, the most they did for Smash 4 3DS was do a Shulk Trailer about 3 weeks before the game released, before that, not much. We could most certainly get our final direct soon. Though I'd rather have a trailer and save it for later so we get more news and a shorter wait.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
No, it wouldn't.

Very true.

There is already mixed reception for LGPE, so they need as much time as possible to convince many Pokemon fans, as well as new ones, to pick up the game.

Putting anything Smash related near Let's Go will divert attention, and that's something Pokemon does NOT need right now.

Last edited:

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
People that say

"But November will be dead, that's terrible marketing!" are looking at this way too close-mindedly.

November doesn't belong to Smash, it belongs to LGPE. The game literally comes out like, a week before Black Friday, It is going to be the game that Nintendo tries to PUSH really hard then and there.

All Sakurai has to do when it comes to November is say a very simple phrase during the Direct, and literally no one will complain about no 'news' in November.

"We will be hosting a Demo for Super Smash Brothers Ultimate sometime in November. Please, stay tuned for a date."

And beyond that, what happens the literal day before Smash comes out?

The game awards.

Revealing 'something' at the game awards, probably a highly requested DLC character, would be a massive final push.

Now this is VERY true, even they are totally different games that game might cannibalize some potential early adopters for Smash. I totally forgot about that, now it even makes more sense that we get an actually full blown out direct in october and a placeholder date in november for the demo.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Nintendo dropped the Switch trailer like, two weeks before Sun/Moon came out. "Clashing with each other" isn't that much of a reason
One was for a console that was being released at a later time. Sun/Moon was for the 3DS. Nintendo wasn't marketing two different consoles.

These are two games being released on the same console competing against each other. November will be for Pokemon, December for Smash. Not that hard to understand.
Again, no it's not, but I'm not going to change your mindset.

You're acting like the characters are all that matters here.

You know what would make people NUTT? A playable demo you can download from the comfort of their own home in the middle of November.
Did someone say NUT?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
No, it wouldn't.

What? The direct for the game that would be coming out the month after is challenging the release of another game that's releasing around the same time as a hypothetical direct, when a direct a month prior could do the exact same thing as the one later in the year, but just as earlier?

:061:

This guy knows what he's talking about.
Or do you just think you know he knows because he brought up marketing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom