• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
but i can like

go and just play brawl and melee? which has all those returning characters and stages? two characters i want to play as isn't really worth 100 dollars, and i am very limited on what i can buy. i could use that money to order super sentai dvds and probably get more out of it than just being able to play as ridley and k rool
Ultimate is gonna be Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, and Wii U on steroids, This is gonna be the best Smash game since probably ever.
If you don't want it then whatever, but you're missing out.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I think the thing now is that most of the big names left are not as big as K.Rool/Ridley, and are a bit more divisive because of it. All of this character discussion is making me think of this as one big game of "****, Kill, or Marry."

So, here's the Smash version: "Cut, Assist, or Playable"

We'll look at three characters, and decide which you want playable, which to get just an assist, and which to cut completely...Let's start with the big three names we've seen around so far: Geno, Isaac, and Bandana Dee. Which would you cut, which gets an assist, and which is in?
Cut: Isaac. Sorry, but I just don't have any attachment to the character.
Assist: Bandana Dee. If I can't have him be playable, this is the next best role for him. Besides, if I'm honest, I'd rather have Gooey as the next Kirby rep. (Yes, really.)
Playable: Geno. Surprise!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ultimate is gonna be Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, and Wii U on steroids, This is gonna be the best Smash game since probably ever.
If you don't want it then whatever, but you're missing out.
sorry kid unless it has maximum wavedashing and frame 1 shines this **** belongs in a dumpster

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
It's very obvious that Sakurai is gearing newcomers (echos and new fully-fleshed out characters) to be fan favorite picks.

I think anyone downplaying the chances of Issac and Geno is going to eat their words when they're announced.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
You know what I mean. To me Nintendo was always a family friendly company and you know young kids play that game. Kids absorb stuff like that, and I know from personal experience that it’s not healthy.
Young kids shouldn't play Xenoblade Chronicles 2..its rated Teen.
Nintendo is also actively trying to shed that Kiddy image to show they have games for all ages with the likes of Fire Emblem, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Bayonetta.

I also think we don't give kids enough credit..they aren't as dumb (couldn't think of a better word) as we seem to act like they are.
You're saying DK had no good relevant characters. K Rool is seemingly everyone's favorite character right now. He was also a top request since brawl, many years before palutina and dark pit. He's literally less relevant now than he would have been if he got in during brawl, smash 4, or smash 4 dlc
Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate are different games.
All of the newcomers in Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS/Wii U had been relevant in the last 5 years except for Duck Hunt, who was the retro pick. King K. Rool & Dixie Kong's last appearances were Mario Super Sluggers in 2008. King K. Rool is rumored to have been retired until fan demand through the ballot revived him. He was never likely on the table for SSB4. Rumor is Nintendo didn't think he was truly popular (Nintendo can be out of touch, this is believable)

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The fact that this game will have the largest roster in Smash history which already included so many highly recognisable characters and well as the tons of other content this game has will be more than enough to attract the general Switch audience. Anything else at this point would be a bonus for them.

Shroob

Sup?
Of course, I'm also a firm believer in the 103 stages being the final number pre-DLC.

As much as I'd love there to be more, and in all likelihood there 'should' be more due to how the SSS is laid out, the Famitsu column really made me think that Sakurai's main goal for the base game was "100 franchise stages".

I'm not believing currently that any new characters revealed will come from new IPs, and as far as any of the 'big' leaks right now have a say in things, they line up with this ideology perfectly.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
but it's 60 dollars
this is some ****ty *** logic man, but you do you
welcome to canada, the land of the ****ed economy

You're moving the goalposts. You said Brawl and Melee feature everything that's returning, which simply isn't true.
they do though? everything returning is from them. i don't really get what you mean by this

i feel its perfectly valid to say i dont want to buy something if it disappoints me, and a low newcomer count would disappoint me a lot. i don't have a lot of money to buy things with, and i could probably spend that money on something else that would disappoint me less

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I feel like everyone's forgetting that Nintendo Online launches in September. It's very likely they have a Direct that shows off games already out and upcoming that'll benefit from the service. What's a headline title that's coming out in just a couple months that everyone is excited for?

I could totally see them ending a Nintendo Online direct with Skull Kid. Why Skull Kid? I dunno.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
It's very obvious that Sakurai is gearing newcomers (echos and new fully-fleshed out characters) to be fan favorite picks.

I think anyone downplaying the chances of Issac and Geno is going to eat their words when they're announced.
Who's downplaying them exactly?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I myself will be buying a Switch for this game, that's how worth it this game is in my eyes. Though, I think they mean more along the lines of how a casual fan will feel. Unfortunately, most casuals aren't hyped by the return of Pichu or Young Link at all, and most might not even know who K. Rool is. That's assumptions, of course, but I don't think I'm too far off. That's why I think Sakurai may have a bit more in store, as to make this more "worth it" to casuals (even though it already should be imo).
I can't speak for all casuals, but my sister is as casual as they come and she was bursting with excitement from the "Everyone is Here" trailer. I think just the shear number of fighters excited her, even if specific characters like K.Rool didn't.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I feel like everyone's forgetting that Nintendo Online launches in September. It's very likely they have a Direct that shows off games already out and upcoming that'll benefit from the service. What's a headline title that's coming out in just a couple months that everyone is excited for?

I could totally see them ending a Nintendo Online direct with Skull Kid. Why Skull Kid? I dunno.
I dunno about Skull Kid specifically, but a newcomer reveal could definitely happen at the end of an online direct.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Who's downplaying them exactly?
The only people who "downplay" Geno is people like me who say "okay but square is a **** how do we know they got the license".
Never seen anyone "downplay" Isaac though you either know him or dont care enough to know him

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
welcome to canada, the land of the ****ed economy

they do though? everything returning is from them. i don't really get what you mean by this

i feel its perfectly valid to say i dont want to buy something if it disappoints me, and a low newcomer count would disappoint me a lot. i don't have a lot of money to buy things with, and i could probably spend that money on something else that would disappoint me less
....you said specifically Brawl and Melee have everything that is returning.
They do not have every single stage. They do not have every single character. They do not have 8-Player Smash and trophies. What I am trying to say is that Ultimate has more content then Melee or Brawl, which is enticing for most.
It seems you were implying you could go to Brawl or Melee and play as all returning characters. Maybe I was wrong, but it came across that way.

I can't speak for all casuals, but my sister is as casual as they come and she was bursting with excitement from the "Everyone is Here" trailer. I think just the shear number of fighters excited her, even if specific characters like K.Rool didn't.
Great to know. I should've figured!

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
The only people who "downplay" Geno is people like me who say "okay but square is a **** how do we know they got the license".
Never seen anyone "downplay" Isaac though you either know him or dont care enough to know him
Basically how I feel regarding both characters. I can easily see Geno being in but with SE I've got no clue.

Never played Isaac's games so I don't really care about him either way.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
"Not worth getting"

>Nearly every stage from every prior game
>Every character from every prior game
>Gameplay tweaks that improve on Smash4 drastically
>Fricken Ridley and K.Rool

The Smash fanbase really can never be satisfied, huh? Give them the world, they'll ask for the entire galaxy.
What if you couldn't care less about Ridley, K.Rool or the cut vets returning?

I mean Smash's community aren't a hive mind.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

If they are announced. Neither of them are shoo-ins.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think the thing now is that most of the big names left are not as big as K.Rool/Ridley, and are a bit more divisive because of it. All of this character discussion is making me think of this as one big game of "****, Kill, or Marry."

So, here's the Smash version: "Cut, Assist, or Playable"

We'll look at three characters, and decide which you want playable, which to get just an assist, and which to cut completely...Let's start with the big three names we've seen around so far: Geno, Isaac, and Bandana Dee. Which would you cut, which gets an assist, and which is in?
Cut: Geno
Sorry, but I have no attachment to this guy.

Assist: Issac
Never played Golden Sun, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing out on. Still, his AT was pretty cool.

Playable: BWD
Kirby is one of those series that's really overdue for a newcomer, and BWD would be fantastic. He'd finally complete the quartet of heroes, and he'd also be Smash's first spear fighter. After him, I'd be completely content with the franchise.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You know, if that stages rule is holding true and no more new stages are coming...

Paper Mario already has a stage. Meaning he wouldn't have to worry about getting a new one just for him.
He also has music.

Just something to consider...

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
What if you couldn't care less about Ridley, K.Rool or the cut vets returning?

I mean Smash's community aren't a hive mind.
There's more to Smash Bros than just characters. Characters are the big thing before the game launches but what keeps people going post launch is the gameplay.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You know, if that stages rule is holding true and no more new stages are coming...

Paper Mario already has a stage. Meaning he wouldn't have to worry about getting a new one just for him.
He also has music.

Just something to consider...
Okay. I considered it.
It means nothing.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
but i can like

go and just play brawl and melee? which has all those returning characters and stages? two characters i want to play as isn't really worth 100 dollars, and i am very limited on what i can buy. i could use that money to order super sentai dvds and probably get more out of it than just being able to play as ridley and k rool
But you can't have a match featuring Young Link, Snake, Cloud, and Ridley fighting on Mushroom Kingdom from the original Super Smash Bros. The 'I could use this character in this game' is flawed since you couldn't have these match ups. If I wanted to play as Lucina and my friend wanted to play as Young Link, we wouldn't be able to in any other Smash game except for Ultimate, that's what's so exciting..along with having it be both HD and portable.

I'm honestly more hyped for everyone returning then any newcomer we could get.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Personally, i'm hype for Ultimate not only because of all the new things but also all the returning stages, features, and of course characters.
I hopped on the Smash train late. I never played 64 or melee or Brawl, my first and only Smash game was Wii U.
All these beloved things returning will finally give me a chance to try out real classic mode, and characters like Snake, Ice Climbers, and Pokemon Trainer.
The fact that i'll finally get to experience these things hypes me up way more than Ridley and K Rool, and 60 dollars is more than worth it.
Also Inklings. Inklings are worth 60 bucks alone.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
....you said specifically Brawl and Melee have everything that is returning.
They do not have every single stage. They do not have every single character. They do not have 8-Player Smash and trophies. What I am trying to say is that Ultimate has more content then Melee or Brawl, which is enticing for most.
It seems you were implying you could go to Brawl or Melee and play as all returning characters. Maybe I was wrong, but it came across that way.
i did basically just mean all the past games when i said that. and i am pretty sure that the past four games have every single stage and character in them.

i don't really want to play as cloud or young link. they might as well not be in the roster for all i care

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Cut: Bandana Dee
Assist: Geno
Cut: Geno
You two are the most evil people I have met.

Skull Kid seems more likely for some reason. :p

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Don't know why anyone would dispute Echoes not being on the level of a full-fledged newcomer and thus being treated separately in discussion about the newcomer number, when even Sakurai is treating them as a separate class of characters. Regardless though, regarding Vergeben's "at least six newcomers left" after E3, someone should simply ask him if he knows if that number includes Echoes or not, he will probably answer it if enough people ask him.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
i did basically just mean all the past games when i said that. and i am pretty sure that the past four games have every single stage and character in them.

i don't really want to play as cloud or young link. they might as well not be in the roster for all i care
Welp, that's your opinion, have a good day.

Personally, i'm hype for Ultimate not only because of all the new things but also all the returning stages, features, and of course characters.
I hopped on the Smash train late. I never played 64 or melee or Brawl, my first and only Smash game was Wii U.
All these beloved things returning will finally give me a chance to try out real classic mode, and characters like Snake, Ice Climbers, and Pokemon Trainer.
The fact that i'll finally get to experience these things hypes me up way more than Ridley and K Rool, and 60 dollars is more than worth it.
Also Inklings. Inklings are worth 60 bucks alone.
Oh damn! I envy you so much, trying all those returning characters for the first time, you're in for a ride!

First 10 hours of play in Ultimate: trying new characters :)

Last edited:

Onua

Smash Journeyman
If its true that the only newcomers coming now all originated from series we already have then I guess a lot of these wild card 3rd party or totally new series reps being added is out the window

So I guess we could see maybe one of these realistically
A new pokemon
Black Knight Echo
Medusa Echo
Ken Echo
Shadow Echo
Dixie Kong Echo
Isabelle Echo
Skull Kid
Bandanna Dee
Hades as a boss in spirits mode

Outside of these I really cant think of anyone else left that would make sense that isnt from a new IP. So I BET you some of the newcomers will be from this list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom