• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I dunno, guys. I certainly don't think just Geno and Incineroar are the only full-out newcomers left when we have three and a half months to go.
We're also not going to get any new info until October at the earliest, and they can milk November by just repeating stuff in the October Direct.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Where? Where does it say they have to be unique? You can't disprove that Echoes are newcomers.
I want pictures of veggieburger god dammit!

And if you can't deliver and you can only say you "think he means" rather than you "know he means", then to the trash it goes I say.

Or Tails, because Sonic can't live without his buddy.
He's been living without him for 10 years he can do another 5 - 10

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
We're also not going to get any new info until October at the earliest, and they can milk November by just repeating stuff in the October Direct.
I feel you're jumping a bit too quickly to assumptions then, seeing as some sort of Direct is a given as Nintendo needs to clarify a vast amount of info on the Switch's Online.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Seeing that a Nindie Showcase is confirmed for next week.... I'm a bit scared you guys...
Commander Video? Now THAT would be WTF indeed. I'm for it!
But oh god, I can just imagine the hate if he got in vs. Shantae. However, Bit.Trip Beat is an actual Wii game, even if it is an indie 3rd party.

Edit: However, the rumor is wrong about it being during Pax. The Nindie showcase is on the 28th, and PAX starts the 31st, however he could just be associating dates with events, and didn't know the Nindie direct date.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I feel you're jumping a bit too quickly to assumptions then, seeing as some sort of Direct is a given as Nintendo needs to clarify a vast amount of info on the Switch's Online.
And they have to have a reveal there, why?

I know we joke about the "Don't expect too many newcomers" line, but we just got 5 new characters, putting us at 8 new characters for Ultimate.

If people are really expecting upwards of 6 more characters, when 103 stages feels pretty final, I feel like they need to set themselves up for disappointment.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
tf does commander video even do lmao.

The best defense i've seen for the character is indie pogo, which is nowhere near the level of depth or seriousness that smash wants to be. I mean, I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade, but like, commander video really?

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i don't get why people think we're only going to get under ten newcomers. literally none of the games have had under ten new characters. in fact, this game had as much dev time as brawl, which had the most newcomers in a single game in the franchise. i don't expect there to be 18 like in brawl since we have returning characters, but saying that there's only going to be 6 newcomers is ignorance and underestimating what sakurai and his team can really do.

and by newcomers i mean new characters and not echoes, don't get started with me on that ****

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
And they have to have a reveal there, why?

I know we joke about the "Don't expect too many newcomers" line, but we just got 5 new characters, putting us at 8 new characters for Ultimate.

If people are really expecting upwards of 6 more characters, when 103 stages feels pretty final, I feel like they need to set themselves up for disappointment.
We'll just have to see, I suppose!

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
After that Richter reveal, and Sakurai saying you may have seen Chrom and Dark Samus coming, no way Shadow isn’t an echo too

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
tf does commander video even do lmao.

The best defense i've seen for the character is indie pogo, which is nowhere near the level of depth or seriousness that smash wants to be. I mean, I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade, but like, commander video really?
tf does little mac even do lmao

The best defense i've seen for the character is boxing, which is nowhere near the level of depth of seriousness that wants to-

mother ****

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
i don't get why people think we're only going to get under ten newcomers. literally none of the games have had under ten new characters. in fact, this game had as much dev time as brawl, which had the most newcomers in a single game in the franchise. i don't expect there to be 18 like in brawl since we have returning characters, but saying that there's only going to be 6 newcomers is ignorance and underestimating what sakurai and his team can really do.

and by newcomers i mean new characters and not echoes, don't get started with me on that ****
By your own logic, it makes perfect sense.

Sakurai flat out told us to not expect a lot of 'new' characters, and if you don't count Echoes, we've had 2 newcomers every 2 months since E3, giving us 4 uniques.

To people that are expecting 8-10 full, non-clone newcomers, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Why do people not count Echoes as newcomers exactly?
They're definitely newcomers, they're just categorized differently.
Because they aren't bringing any new movesets with them. Counting them as newcomers seems a bit like cheating, which is probably why Sakurai isn't even giving them their own character numbers. From a gameplay standpoint, they're essentially the same character with just a few small tweaks.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
So after research I finally learned the name of the silhouette on Dracula's Castle labeled as ????? in the direct. Die hard Castlevania fans probably recognized him instantly but this was interesting for me.

His name is Kid Dracula. I honestly didn't expect the mystery silhouette to be something like this.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
By your own logic, it makes perfect sense.

Sakurai flat out told us to not expect a lot of 'new' characters, and if you don't count Echoes, we've had 2 newcomers every 2 months since E3, giving us 4 uniques.

To people that are expecting 8-10 full, non-clone newcomers, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.
again, i think you're really underestimating what a dev team can do with four years time. if the game only has 6 new characters then it is basically not worth getting imo, since there's not really any content i can't just play in the other games

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I think the thing now is that most of the big names left are not as big as K.Rool/Ridley, and are a bit more divisive because of it. All of this character discussion is making me think of this as one big game of "****, Kill, or Marry."

So, here's the Smash version: "Cut, Assist, or Playable"

We'll look at three characters, and decide which you want playable, which to get just an assist, and which to cut completely...Let's start with the big three names we've seen around so far: Geno, Isaac, and Bandana Dee. Which would you cut, which gets an assist, and which is in?
Cut: Geno - Like I said yesterday, he's kind of just a "nothing" character
Assist: Bandana Dee - I like him well enough, but I'm pretty indifferent on him as a fighter. Assist is good enough.
Playable: Isaac - Seems like he could be really unique and come with some awesome music

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Because they aren't bringing any new movesets with them. Counting them as newcomers seems a bit like cheating, which is probably why Sakurai isn't even giving them their own character numbers. From a gameplay standpoint, they're essentially the same character with just a few small tweaks.
But they're still newcomers by definition alone? You can't bring a new character and say they're not a new character unless it's an alternate costume.
Which they're not.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
again, i think you're really underestimating what a dev team can do with four years time. if the game only has 6 new characters then it is basically not worth getting imo, since there's not really any content i can't just play in the other games
I think you're forgetting something important: EVERYONE IS HERE!

DaybreakHorizon

Beauty in the Chaos
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
tf does little mac even do lmao

The best defense i've seen for the character is boxing, which is nowhere near the level of depth of seriousness that wants to-

mother ****
But there's a fighting style to play with for boxing.

CommanderVideo just runs for the most part.

Shroob

Sup?
"Not worth getting"

>Nearly every stage from every prior game
>Every character from every prior game
>Gameplay tweaks that improve on Smash4 drastically
>Fricken Ridley and K.Rool

The Smash fanbase really can never be satisfied, huh? Give them the world, they'll ask for the entire galaxy.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But there's a fighting style to play with for boxing.

CommanderVideo just runs for the most part.
Character moves can be made and resourced out of almost nothing.
:ultfalcon: is a prime example of this.
:ultduckhunt: is an example of applied "borrowing" of multiple moves from other platforms.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
"Not worth getting"

The Smash fanbase really can never be satisfied, huh? Give them the world, they'll ask for the entire galaxy.
I myself will be buying a Switch for this game, that's how worth it this game is in my eyes. Though, I think they mean more along the lines of how a casual fan will feel. Unfortunately, most casuals aren't hyped by the return of Pichu or Young Link at all, and most might not even know who K. Rool is. That's assumptions, of course, but I don't think I'm too far off. That's why I think Sakurai may have a bit more in store, as to make this more "worth it" to casuals (even though it already should be imo).

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
"Not worth getting"

No you see it's not worth unless it's the characters HE wanted

Bionichute

Smash Champion
"Not worth getting"

but i can like

go and just play brawl and melee? which has all those returning characters and stages? two characters i want to play as isn't really worth 100 dollars, and i am very limited on what i can buy. i could use that money to order super sentai dvds and probably get more out of it than just being able to play as ridley and k rool

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
but i can like

go and just play brawl and melee? which has all those returning characters and stages? two characters i want to play as isn't really worth 100 dollars, and i am very limited on what i can buy. i could use that money to order super sentai dvds and probably get more out of it than just being able to play as ridley and k rool
Brawl most definitely doesn't have all those returning characters and stages. Same for Melee. I think this comparison's very off.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sonic will do fine without Tails but Tails will have a mental breakdown without Sonic.
With any luck he won't take it out on the ATs...

"Not worth getting"

I will still buy the game, regardless of whether all my wants can make it or not. I know I'll be in for a great time no matter what.

Some fans just don't think things through. It's like complaining that you have a pea in the soup, even though the meal is otherwise fine to eat.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Lol they're not going to reveal a Smash character for an Indy direct. That would totally overshadow all of the indy games they'll be showing.

Shroob

Sup?
I myself will be buying a Switch for this game, that's how worth it this game is in my eyes. Though, I think they mean more along the lines of how a casual fan will feel. Unfortunately, most casuals aren't hyped by the return of Pichu or Young Link at all, and most might not even know who K. Rool is. That's assumptions, of course, but I don't think I'm too far off. That's why I think Sakurai may have a bit more in store, as to make this more "worth it" to casuals (even though it already should be imo).
And what exactly do you think will make casual fans interested?

Ridley and K.Rool aren't picks for casual fans, as are characters like Simon or Geno if he's in.

The game is being targeted towards us first and foremost when it comes to roster selection; Sakurai saying as much that the ballot was a huge reason why K.Rool's even here in the first place.

Smash 4 was the time to add characters that the casual audience would recognize, Smash Ultimate is more driven for us hardcore fans.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
but i can like

but it's 60 dollars
this is some ****ty ass logic man, but you do you

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
but i can like

You can't play all of them together, in 8 player, with online, all stages, new modes, and probable future support in melee and brawl, no

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
And what exactly do you think will make casual fans interested?

Ridley and K.Rool aren't picks for casual fans, as are characters like Simon or Geno if he's in.

The game is being targeted towards us first and foremost when it comes to roster selection; Sakurai saying as much that the ballot was a huge reason why K.Rool's even here in the first place.

Smash 4 was the time to add characters that the casual audience would recognize, Smash Ultimate is more driven for us hardcore fans.
Great points, can't argue with that.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Brawl most definitely doesn't have all those returning characters and stages. Same for Melee. I think this comparison's very off.
i own every smash bros game, if i wante dto play as pichu i could just set up my gamecube and play as pichu in melee. i don't really want to play as anyone from smash 4 though, everyone there is kinda bad

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
While character speculation is the main driving force for Smash pre-launch, there's so much more to the game than that. Gameplay changes, new items, assists, music, etc.

Someone said this earlier: You aren't paying for Smash to look at a character select screen.

I'd still be getting Ultimate if Ridley or Dark Samus weren't playable. Disappointed they weren't in? Sure, but it's not the only thing about the game I'm interested in.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
i own every smash bros game, if i wante dto play as pichu i could just set up my gamecube and play as pichu in melee. i don't really want to play as anyone from smash 4 though, every there is kinda bad
You're moving the goalposts. You said Brawl and Melee feature everything that's returning, which simply isn't true.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We already have four unique newcomers, so I don't see why someone would think it's utterly impossible for us to get eight.

Regardless, I'm more than satisfied with this game's content. Even if there's technically not a lot of new stuff, I still like the convenience of having everything combined into one game. If anything, people who have never played Smash before will probably worship this game way more than the hardcore fans. Could you imagine your first Smash game having over 100 stages and more than 70 different characters? Quite the first impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom