• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think the thing now is that most of the big names left are not as big as K.Rool/Ridley, and are a bit more divisive because of it. All of this character discussion is making me think of this as one big game of "****, Kill, or Marry."

So, here's the Smash version: "Cut, Assist, or Playable"

We'll look at three characters, and decide which you want playable, which to get just an assist, and which to cut completely...Let's start with the big three names we've seen around so far: Geno, Isaac, and Bandana Dee. Which would you cut, which gets an assist, and which is in?
Playable: Bandana Dee. 4th Main character of Kirby, and a Spear user. Most deserving character left.
AT: Issac. Same as in Brawl
Absent: Geno. Does a side character from a Mario Spinoff 20 years ago really deserve it?

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I don't want to bring back BWD discourse again, but If I had to place money on a character becoming a newcomer, I would place it on BWD. Kirby's only gotten more and more popular since 2012/2014 times, and the is one of the few characters to regularly show up in recent games while still likely having a good-decent degree of performance in the ballot. Plus, Kirby controls pretty similar to smash, and those movesets can cover multiple pages, there's already a decent foundation to adapt the character into smash.
in addition to him already having a unique weapon (a spear) he also could use the parasol ability for some attacks to flesh it out, since waddle dees use them a lot as well

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I honestly would trade BWD for Dark Matter. I don't play much of the Kirby series, but from how much I did play I do enjoy Dark Matter a lot. Not in the sense of "we NEED more villains!!!!", but in the sense that I just think he's more neat and creative.

Now if I wanted character just because he was a villain?
1525240414597.png

the joke is he has no other character that isnt just being a villain

Shroob

Sup?
Ultimate Roster.png

So yeah, as said last night:

If we're not getting anymore reveals outside of Directs;

If Verge is 100% right;

and if the SE rep is Geno;

This would be the final roster.

To me, I find this frankly perfect as someone who's been speculating since Brawl. Ridley, K.Rool and Geno all together is something we could only dream about ten years ago.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think the thing now is that most of the big names left are not as big as K.Rool/Ridley, and are a bit more divisive because of it. All of this character discussion is making me think of this as one big game of "****, Kill, or Marry."

We'll look at three characters, and decide which you want playable, which to get just an assist, and which to cut completely...Let's start with the big three names we've seen around so far: Geno, Isaac, and Bandana Dee. Which would you cut, which gets an assist, and which is in?
Here’s my ultra spicy take:

Cut: Geno
AT: Isaac
Playable: Waddle Dee

I have no personal attachment to Geno, probably cause I haven’t played SMRPG, and I was REALLY tempted to make Isaac playable instead, but dammit I need my Round Boi(TM)

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Nintendo is going to have a Nindie Showcase style direct during Pax, a lot of **** is going to be shown, but I'm just going to put the biggest things to take away from the showcase.
>Blade Strangers first wave of DLC is announced for two months after the launch. Characters are Plague Knight and CommanderVideo
>Shovel Knight King of Cards is set to release in November
>Spelunky 2 is announced for Switch along with the first bits of gameplay shown, no release date
>Meat Boy Forever gets a new trailer showcasing some more areas
>Choice Previsions announces the Guest Characters DLC for Runner3 containing Gunvolt, Shantae, Spelunky Kid(the main character of Spelunky 2), Invisible CommanderVideo, Quote, Issac(Binding of Issac), and exclusive to the Switch version, Mario(yes, actual Mario), set to release in October.
>Choice Previsions also announces that they are remaking the original Bit.Trip Saga exclusively for Switch titled "A Bit.Trip Re-imagined," coming soon
>IndiePogo is coming to Switch, no set release date
>Rivals of Aether is coming to Switch
>Team Cherry shows a trailer for the Gods and Glory expansion of Hollow Knight along with a quick look at the Hornet DLC.
>In a surprise ending, a trailer announcing that CommanderVideo is coming to Smash Ultimate is shown with Quote and Shantae in the game as assist trophies.

I unironically want Reimu more than I want CommanderVideo. What would he even do? Honestly.
Seeing that a Nindie Showcase is confirmed for next week.... I'm a bit scared you guys...

Spirits Mode is looking great guys
Thanks for this daily dose of epicness :)

Cut: Dee
AT: Isaac
Playable: Geno

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Tough choice but here is mine:

Cut: Bandana Dee.
Assist: Geno.
Playable: Isaac.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
good ****. dark matter is my favorite villain, but i dont really consider him as likely for smash as magolor, who is my second favorite villain. my third favorite is hyness
Yeah, DM's cool, but also has literally no personality (and don't bring up that "can't understand happiness" nonsense, that's a fan theory).

Magolor is popular in Japan, showed up in three games (and became friendlier to boot), and has abilities that could be used in Smash.

DaybreakHorizon

Beauty in the Chaos
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Seeing that a Nindie Showcase is confirmed for next week.... I'm a bit scared you guys...
Thanks for pulling that old thing up. I think it just made a lucky guess, and nothing else.

If we assume that Smashdown, at launch, will have an even number of characters, then we can assume we're either getting 2 or 3 additional characters alongside Geno, assuming that Miis are either unplayable (76 total characters - 3 Mii Fighters + 1 Geno = 74, 76 characters is even) or playable (76 total characters + 1 Geno = 77, +3 = 80, which is even).

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
View attachment 159395

So yeah, as said last night:

If we're not getting anymore reveals outside of Directs;

If Verge is 100% right;

and if the SE rep is Geno;

This would be the final roster.

To me, I find this frankly perfect as someone who's been speculating since Brawl. Ridley, K.Rool and Geno all together is something we could only dream about ten years ago.
Nope.
We've still got at least two newcomers after Incineroar and the SE rep.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Playable Bandana Dee
Assist Isaac
Cut Geno

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Why do people not count Echoes as newcomers exactly?
They're definitely newcomers, they're just categorized differently.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
If Verge is right and we have only (at least) two newcomer slots left after that I’d like it to be Banjo and Isaac

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Richter, Dark Samus, Chrom, K.Rool, Simon is already 5.
Vergeben has not stated his knowledge of Echoes until very recently.
This implies he only knew of unique newcomers.
Of course, I'm likely just assuming things. But again, I feel it's worth bringing up.

Why do people not count Echoes as newcomers exactly?
They're definitely newcomers, they're just categorized differently.
Oh, I definitely do. I just don't think Vergeben did.

Shroob

Sup?
Vergeben has not stated his knowledge of Echoes until very recently.
This implies he only knew of unique newcomers.
Of course, I'm likely just assuming things. But again, I feel it's worth bringing up.

Oh, I definitely do. I just don't think Vergeben did.
Isabelle is most definitely an echo, as is Ken.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion

I sloppily put this together, a hypothetical list of alts if Isabelle gets in. I think the first five are lock-ins if she gets in, which in itself is almost (but not quite) a lock-in. The last three are more open, though I do hope her New Year outfit (The sixth one) is used.​

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
i don't believe the echoes = newcomers thing, solely on the specific theming of numbers smash ultimate has been using. Like, that seems to be a massive focus on the game's presentation and marketing, and only the bona fide original newcomers are adding an extra number to the final count on their website.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i don't believe the echoes = newcomers thing, solely on the specific theming of numbers smash ultimate has been using. Like, that seems to be a massive focus on the game's presentation and marketing, and only the bona fide original newcomers are adding an extra number to the final count on their website.
yeah this. i don't really get why people dont understand this? its not hard to grasp

Shroob

Sup?
Unique. Only Simon and K Rool count in there. You really think only one more newcomer is getting in?
Incineroar and the SE rep, yes, I do.

We're not going to get 4 full newcomers in the last Smash direct most likely. I see them do what they've been doing:

Newcomer > Echoes > Big Newcomer.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I could Echoes as Newcomers, so no I don't.

This feels like a fan rule that echoes aren't 'real' newcomers.
I separate the unique characters from the echoes but they are still newcomers.

4 new uniques.

4 new echoes.

For some reason this upsets people and I don't know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom