• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
If Geno is in the game - do you think he is going to be revealed at the very end or will their be a bigger third party reveal at the end
I think if Geno is in the game, he'll be the last character to be revealed right before release. I mean, who have been the three most requested newcomers for years now? Ridley, King K. Rool and Geno. We already know about two of them, so what better a way could they wrap up the marketing phase of this game than by confirming the last of the Big Three to drum up that hype right before release?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I always thought about Smash as a promotional game, a very subtle one. that's the reason behind my point hahahaha I think Smash did a great favor to series like Earthbound, F-Zero, Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus to be more known and to have people wanting more games. And that's one of the reasons I want Isaac as a playable fighter, because I see it as a way to revive the Golden Sun franquise. Anyways, I get your point! I didn't take it in a bad way :)

although, there was a rumor about a possible revival of the Castlevania series? If that actually happens, Simon inclution would be perfect timing
It makes a great promotion game, but that's not it's primary focus. Or at least that wasn't what it was originally intended to be. It's also a bit of a celebration of Nintendo, but most of all, I think it's just meant to be a fun game with a lot of different characters. Some characters are chosen to help promote things (Corrin, Roy, Lucario, Greninja) but generally characters are chosen either for being iconic or unique in some way. In fact, I'd say every single non-clone character in the roster made it in in part to at least one of those two reasons, even if they had to get creative to make them unique sometimes.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Can I get a source for those ballot results?
i mean i don't but i do know that bandana dee has consistently showed up in every kirby game since return to dreamland, and has been incredibly popular since his reveal

and of course there's the whole thing where waddle dees in general are incredibly popular in japan. like half the marketing for the anniversary a year ago was waddle dees dressed up in different outfits, they're arguably more popular than meta knight and especially dedede (in japan)

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I always thought about Smash as a promotional game, a very subtle one. that's the reason behind my point hahahaha I think Smash did a great favor to series like Earthbound, F-Zero, Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus to be more known and to have people wanting more games. And that's one of the reasons I want Isaac as a playable fighter, because I see it as a way to revive the Golden Sun franquise. Anyways, I get your point! I didn't take it in a bad way :)

although, there was a rumor about a possible revival of the Castlevania series? If that actually happens, Simon inclution would be perfect timing
Konami being motivated to do proper Castlevania again would be nice, but I expect nothing out of them. What we got in Smash has been a huge exception in these past few years of their waning interest in video game anything or caring about what their fans want.

Best you've got for now is the Netflix series, and while I personally despise it. I know plenty of people who don't.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think if Geno is in the game, he'll be the last character to be revealed right before release. I mean, who have been the three most requested newcomers for years now? Ridley, King K. Rool and Geno. We already know about two of them, so what better a way could they wrap up the marketing phase of this game than by confirming the last of the Big Three to drum up that hype right before release?
Because there is no "big three", there will likely be another direct among general ones (at most two, but I doubt it). Isaac exists. Skull Kid and Banjo are debatable, it's like how I see Simon but instead of not seeing any of his support ever I never saw their support back in 2008.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Because there is no "big three", there will likely be another direct among general ones (at most two, but I doubt it). Isaac exists. Skull Kid and Banjo are debatable, it's like how I see Simon but instead of not seeing any of his support ever I never saw their support back in 2008.
...and also Paper Mario! (and Bandana Dee, love that guy)

Bionichute

Smash Champion
also i know that there are people who say that bandana dee can't be in the game because he's "just a goomba" but thats basically been disproven by him being a unique character in battle royale and star allies. he even has dialog in battle royale, and is completely different from the other playable waddle dee in star allies. he's a unique character (aside from when he was three characters that one time)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
...and also Paper Mario! (and Bandana Dee, love that guy)
Ah yeah, him too. He's kinda like the forgotten one. Bandana Dee doesn't count though, since this is the Brawl era. (Brawl was in 2008, Bandana Dee didn't exist until 2009).

So instead of a "big three" it's more of a "big quintet".

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Ah yeah, him too. He's kinda like the forgotten one. Bandana Dee doesn't count though, since this is the Brawl era. (Brawl was in 2008, Bandana Dee didn't exist until 2009).

So instead of a "big three" it's more of a "big quintet".
Oh I'm sorry, missed the Brawl part.
Yea, if we're talking Brawl era, the big boys would've been K. Rool, Ridley, Geno, then most likely Banjo-Kazooie and Isaac. However, I would genuinely go as far as to include Paper Mario there. He just gets conveniently forgotten quite often, lmao. Thank you!

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I have no feelings towards Bandana Dee at all. I would not be excited or upset at his inclusion, but I will say his design is not interesting at all. I can appreciate simple designs like Kirby, but Bandana Dee doesn't do it for me.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The hero from 3 is definitely as iconic as it gets. I could see Sakurai adding Loto too, but honestly the one from 3 is just as recognizable in Japan as the Slime.

There is none. People keep mistaking a magazine survey for actual Ballot results. At this point there should be a sticky post stating that we have absolutely zero ballot data, lol
I legit have no idea who the protagonist of dq 3 is. And I've played several dq games. I've never played a Sonic game, a mega Man game, a Street fighter game, or a Castlevania game, or even watched playthrough, and I've always known who the characters are. I don't think this character is quite as iconic as you think.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
if i had any choices for which kirby character would get in smash, i would probably go with a few characters before bandana dee (MAGOLOR), but he's the most likely at this point and im just a goddang sucker for anything kirby

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I have no feelings towards Bandana Dee at all. I would not be excited or upset at his inclusion, but I will say his design is not interesting at all. I can appreciate simple designs like Kirby, but Bandana Dee doesn't do it for me.
Kinda same. Waddle Dees are cute and all, but Waddle Dee with a single hat to make it different is not my style.
Hell how could they pull off :ultmetaknight: being the same species as Kirby but all the Dees get is "hey he's got a hat on"

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if Knuckles will still be in the background of Green Hill Zone... it'd be a shame to lose a stage element (even just a background flourish) to an assist trophy

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I wonder if Knuckles will still be in the background of Green Hill Zone... it'd be a shame to lose a stage element (even just a background flourish) to an assist trophy
I don't think the models in Green Hill are the same in the Assist. I think they use the same Sonic 06 models from Brawl. could be wrong

so we're all in agreement of magolor being the best hypothetical choice right
**** no.
In terms of Kirby charaters?
**** no again.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I think the thing now is that most of the big names left are not as big as K.Rool/Ridley, and are a bit more divisive because of it. All of this character discussion is making me think of this as one big game of "****, Kill, or Marry."

So, here's the Smash version: "Cut, Assist, or Playable"

We'll look at three characters, and decide which you want playable, which to get just an assist, and which to cut completely...Let's start with the big three names we've seen around so far: Geno, Isaac, and Bandana Dee. Which would you cut, which gets an assist, and which is in?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think the thing now is that most of the big names left are not as big as K.Rool/Ridley, and are a bit more divisive because of it. All of this character discussion is making me think of this as one big game of "****, Kill, or Marry."

We'll look at three characters, and decide which you want playable, which to get just an assist, and which to cut completely...Let's start with the big three names we've seen around so far: Geno, Isaac, and Bandana Dee. Which would you cut, which gets an assist, and which is in?
Cut Bandana
Assist Isaac because it already exists just not updated
Playable Geno

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

Cut: Geno
Assist: Bandana Dee
Playable: Isaac

I've got no feelings towards any of these characters lol.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
we need more kirby music in the game that isn't from super star. just put in recent tracks, they're high quality enough and good enough to not need remixes

unhooded hyness' theme playing on fountain of dreams would make me Actually Die

**** no.
In terms of Kirby charaters?
**** no again.
i very obviously meant in terms of kirby characters. and who would you pick as the best possible kirby rep choice? if you say adeleine or galacta knight you lose

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Playable: Geno
Assist: Bandana Dee. I actually kinda want him more than Geno, but I'm willing to wait as I feel this may be Geno's last shot. BD has a lot more time to come, but I want him in anyhow.
Cut: Isaac. Dare I say....Easy.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Knuckles is still there.

It's therefore possible to have Knuckles & Knuckles on screen :V

Good luck trying to get the RNG of both the Assist Trophy summoning Knuckles at the same time of the chance Knuckles is running in the background though.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I’m hearing something on verge said “the one you know” when did he say that about square enix

But here’s the real mistake you guys make that Vergeben is not realiable

Answer this how do you know it’s the same sources that gave incorrect info

I think where he’s getting smash bros info is not from the ones that gave him bad info (well where Ridley, simon, ice climbers, snake and no cuts came from.)
Lastly, in regards to Vergeben, just because he's gotten plenty correct thus far, that doesn't mean everything he says will come true. Remember, not all the information he gets comes from the same source. His source behind his first leak seems to have been accurate, but that doesn't verify the 'leaks' that have come afterwards, since they appear to have come from different sources. Time will tell if he'll continue to get things right, or if one of his sources ends up being wrong.
I wonder how it's such a persistent belief that Vergeben's Smash information post-E3 is from different sources. He has repeatedly stated he has three Smash sources and they have been the same ones since before E3 (with a fourth one time source being the one who told him about Ridley at E3), and his information has all came from them.

Isabelle is from the same pre-E3 Smash sources that got Ridley, Snake, no cuts, and Belmont right.

New pokemon that isn't Decidueye/Mimikyu/Lycanroc are from these sources, while Incineroar is from one of them with conflicting information and without corroboration from the others.

When asked about the SE character's source, Vergeben replied "you know the one", i.e. the same sources. Ken can be assumed to be from these too unless Vergeben says otherwise.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Cut Bandanna Dee
Geno Assist
Playable Isaac

Sorry Dee and Geno. I love you both but I'd rather have a character from a whole new franchise on the roster than a new character from an already present one.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
what kinda /v/ meme **** are you smokin'?

Dark Matter, the most of a main antagonist the series has.
good ****. dark matter is my favorite villain, but i dont really consider him as likely for smash as magolor, who is my second favorite villain. my third favorite is hyness

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Cut Bandanna Dee
Geno Assist
Playable Isaac

Sorry Dee and Geno. I love you both but I'd rather have a character from a whole new franchise on the roster than a new character from an already present one.
technically super mario rpg is its own franchise

T-Hell

Smash Lord

Pretty easy for me:
-Playable: Isaac
-Assist: Geno
-Cut: Bandana Dee

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to bring back BWD discourse again, but If I had to place money on a character becoming a newcomer, I would place it on BWD. Kirby's only gotten more and more popular since 2012/2014 times, and the is one of the few characters to regularly show up in recent games while still likely having a good-decent degree of performance in the ballot. Plus, Kirby controls pretty similar to smash, and those movesets can cover multiple pages, there's already a decent foundation to adapt the character into smash.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
*Sakurai appears in a video*
WAIT! THE CHAIRS! THEY’RE BACK!

Also can someone translate what Sakurai said at the beginning.
Did my best to try and translate what Sakurai said via Google Translate (even though I do not speak nor understand German and Google Translate is not 1the most perfect translation tool to use), but its just Sakurai giving a special message to the German audience attending the invitational.

German version:

"Guten Tag! Grube an alle auf der gamescom in Koln. Ich bin Mashairo Sakurai von Sora Ltd. Es freut mich, dass ihr schon hier und heute Spab an Super Smash Bros. Ultimate habt. Aber dies ist noch nicht die finale spielversion. Die Entwicklung lauft auf Hochtouren und wir verbessern das Spiel kontinuierlich bis zur Veroffrntlichung im Dezember. Wir hoffen, dass ihr euch auf den Titel freut. Auf Wiedersehen!"

English version translated via Google Translate (not perfect):

"Good day! Pit at all at gamescom in Koln. I am Mashairo Sakurai from Sora Ltd. I'm glad you already have Spab on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate here and today. But this is not the final version of the game yet. Development is in full swing and we are constantly improving the game until it becomes publicized in December. We hope you are looking forward to the title. Goodbye!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom