• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I can understand being skeptical of leaks, I'm a skeptic myself, but it's pretty hard to refute the Gematsu leak.

I mean, the leak got almost everything correct, even down to the official name of the Mii Fighters, as Opo mentioned. Even with the parts that the leak got wrong, being Chrom and a Rhythm Heaven character, there exists evidence that support the leak. Chrom was originally planned, but swapped out for Robin since he'd actually be unique. A Rhythm Heaven symbol is found with the symbols of series with playable characters, suggesting that there was, at some point in time, a planned character from Rhythm Heaven.

Plus, like Tougon mentioned, what's it even matter at this point if it was legitimate or just a 'series of lucky guesses'?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
At this point, why does it matter if Gematsu was legit or not? 11 out of 12 characters are in the game. Who cares?

Unless y'know, you're a Chorus Kid supporter or something.
It matters because we're dealing with what is likely another true leak right now, and the debates surrounding it are coming off as very familiar to me.

Admittedly, I'm kind of sick of hearing about leaks all the time again (the leak that revealed the entire Smash 4 base roster and it's select screen burnt me out for quite some time) but I think Gemastu should serve as an example for handling future leaks, including ones we're dealing with at this time. We can be all but certain it was fully legitimate; yet, it also didn't get all of it's claims correct, simply because the info came from an early point in Smash 4's development, and some of the content it mentioned was scrapped at some point later on.

Take every leak with a grain of salt until the very end. If it gets a lot of info correct, especially things you wouldn't see many people reasonably guessing, and/or has previously proven to be a fairly reliable source, then you can put some faith into it. And at the same time, for one reason or another, it's still entirely possible that the leak might not be entirely correct about the final product of the game. Always proceed with caution when looking into a leak and when considering it's "likelihood". Even ones that can later be verified or nearly proven won't necessarily be correct on every piece of info they give.

If we're gonna keep getting leaks like these, then I do think it's important to remember Gematsu and the circumstances behind it.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
What about if the new Square Enix character is from Bravely Default? Or is that dreaming too much? The series was huge in japan

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What about if the new Square Enix character is from Bravely Default? Or is that dreaming too much? The series was huge in japan
Geno fans will be in outrage.
except me i'd be cool with it

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Never consider it a pipe dream. always hope. and if it is not offical, I really hope smash switch gets hacked to add this stuff in. so want Brawl mod quality in ultimate.

I NEED GOEMON PEOPLE!

KMDP

Smash Legend
Booing is not a criticism, it's hating on a character for tier list B.S. that likely will be fixed like how Metaknight was fixed.

Kid Icarus had 3 characters..3 is not a lot..one of which was a costume-clone.

Just because something is popular doesn't make it right. I'm mostly just sick of the constant influx of negativity people have regarding character representation, usually not being a fan of or familiar with the series to begin with. Like I hate Bowser Jr, despise him, I consider him a lazy continuation of the 'Child is Identical to Parent as child' and 'Parent Name Jr.' Tropes that the Koopalings lampshaded since he is a literal copy of Baby Bowser but with a Bandanna on..which Baby Bowser retroactively gained..but I'm glad he's in because I know people are fans of him.
I was fine with the amount of KI stuff in Sm4sh, I mean... not only is three characters (one of which is a 1:1 clone) not a whole lot, it makes sense that KI: Uprising stuff would be ported over to Smash 4, because:

1) Kid Icarus Uprising was a great game
2) It was a game made by Sakurai
3) It was on the same system as Smash, and could be ported over easily

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'd be really happy for Geno's fans if he got in, but I've got no personal connection to the character all.

I'd happily take Sora as a Square Enix newcomer any day.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm just hoping Geno and Incineroar don't take up too much room for Paper Mario.
They're two of my most wanted, I just got skewed priorities!

BTW, something important everyone seems to forget is that Vergeben said at least six newcomers. Not just six.

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
If you literally get sick because someone else is hopeful for a character in a video game, that's unhealthy.
About as unhealthy as you taking that in a literal sense!

Booing is not a criticism, it's hating on a character for tier list B.S. that likely will be fixed like how Metaknight was fixed.

Kid Icarus had 3 characters..3 is not a lot..one of which was a costume-clone.

Just because something is popular doesn't make it right. I'm mostly just sick of the constant influx of negativity people have regarding character representation, usually not being a fan of or familiar with the series to begin with. Like I hate Bowser Jr, despise him, I consider him a lazy continuation of the 'Child is Identical to Parent as child' and 'Parent Name Jr.' Tropes that the Koopalings lampshaded since he is a literal copy of Baby Bowser but with a Bandanna on..which Baby Bowser retroactively gained..but I'm glad he's in because I know people are fans of him.
I'll disagree on the booing. She's a lame character to watch, and she was hated by a lot of people on day 1, when everyone saw through the ballot propaganda. People don't like her for both of those reasons. Being vocal about it is a way to express your opinion

3 characters for such a small series is a lot, no matter how we spin it. They also got a ton of love with items, AT, smash run enemies and music, which is what people are talking about when they say KI got too much stuff (not just characters). A more popular series, DK which had just sold like 7 million copies, got a literal fraction of the content, to put that into perspective

I'm happy for most characters too. But acting like all these FE characters isn't excessive, seems a little biased and dishonest. I mean, sakurai himself made similar comments about over saturation. He went ahead and added the corin anyway, but if the creator of the game felt the same way, it's kind of hard to **** on people for having that opinion, isn't it?

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm just hoping Geno and Incineroar don't take up too much room for Paper Mario.
They're two of my most wanted, I just got skewed priorities!

BTW, something important everyone seems to forget is that Vergeben said at least six newcomers. Not just six.
PAPER MARIO IS A FLAT CHARACTER AND YOU KNOW IT!

(is a joke)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's Geno. Dollars to donuts Nintendo licensed both Square characters at the same time, used the big-name one as standalone content and the fan-favourite in the roster full of fan-favourites. But they had rights to the character and assets they could reuse, so Mii costume for bonus profit.

All of that happened in the same timeframe as the design document being drafted. It's Geno. It's gotta be.

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
What leak are we talking about? And if it mentions a Square rep, please let it be Crono. Even if he's just a Cloud echo (though he should absolutely be unique). He should have been the Square rep to begin with, and is the one I want most. Chrono Trigger is widely regarded as one of the top 5 RPGs of all-time and one of the best SNES games.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm actually finding myself feeling more support and sympathy for fans of characters who might be considered "underdog" candidates that I have no personal experiences with or connections to at all, and even those of some characters I'm not connected to who might be considered more likely, as well.

It might be now or never for some of these characters who've been receiving fan support for so long. Even if it's not now, but not never, either, their characters will be missing out on a game truly dedicated to the overall Smash fanbase. And lord knows when another Smash game after this one will eventually be in development.

So, good luck to all of you out there and your most wanted newcomers. For your sake, I hope the characters you care about the most finally get their chance this time. It ain't much, but you've got my support, too.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm actually finding myself feeling more support and sympathy for fans of characters who might be considered "underdog" candidates that I have no personal experiences with or connections to at all, and even those of some characters I'm not connected to who might be considered more likely, as well.

It might be now or never for some of these characters who've been receiving fan support for so long. Even if it's not now, but not never, either, their characters will be missing out on a game truly dedicated to the overall Smash fanbase. And lord knows when another Smash game after this one will eventually be in development.

So, good luck to all of you out there and your most wanted newcomers. For your sake, I hope the characters you care about the most finally get their chance this time. It ain't much, but you've got my support, too.
We need more people like you in this fanbase!

D

Deleted member

I thought about a character from that series before E3. .I figured the most likely from there would be Agnes Oblique. I haven't thought about it in awhile, but like you said, the series did well both overseas and in the West, so it's not totally out of the question. The game has definitely been played by more people than SMRPG. That game was similar to a cult classic movie: loved by the 10 people who played it when it actually came out, missed by mostly everyone during its 'relevant' time, then slowly started to gain popularity 15 years after the fact.

Last edited by a moderator:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118

^ We need more posts like this one. ^ :happysheep:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I thought about a character from that series before E3. .I figured the most likely from there would be Agnes Oblique. I haven't thought about it in awhile, but like you said, the series did well both overseas and in the West, so it's not totally out of the question. The game has definitely been played by more people than SMRPG. That game was similar to a cult classic movie: loved by the 10 people who played it when it actually came out, missed by mostly everyone during its 'relevant' time, then slowly started to gain popularity 15 years after the fact.
Oh Vergeben definitely has insider knowledge. And again, I'm a little fond of him for saving me from hyping for DBFZ DLC like a fool. People seem to cling onto when he's been wrong, though.
Guys...you can't just "guess" Simon Belmont, imo.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
The shorts aren't even that horny to begin with (which i'm kinda surprised I'm saying), what I totally expect from Pyra would be nerfing her breasts because...

Uh this exists in Xenoblade 2
Thats not even human that’s gross and unhealthy for young boys to think that an ideal woman looks like that and young girls to think that that’s what they should look like.

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice

As a person whose top wants are Ray Mk II, Phoenix Wright, and Crono, I thank you for your support

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Thats not even human that’s gross and unhealthy for young boys to think that an ideal woman looks like that and young girls to think that that’s what they should look like.
You mean to tell me bunny girls aren't real?

D

Deleted member

Oh Vergeben definitely has insider knowledge. And again, I'm a little fond of him for saving me from hyping for DBFZ DLC like a fool. People seem to cling onto when he's been wrong, though.
Guys...you can't just "guess" Simon Belmont, imo.
Wow you're fast. I didnt even mean to post that part and edited it out of my post within a minute, yet you still read and responded to it lol.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Because people want to believe.
Ive seen this brought up on occasion on this thread and its always ignored.

Youtubers aren't giving us all the information either, lots of confirmation bias plaguing the community.
Nobody wants to play as Slime in Smash. It's the same reason Final Fantasy didn't get a black mage character; the appeal of third parties is the crossover hype. They're selling the chance to have Link fight Cloud for the first time in 20 years, not to play as a generic "rep" for a company's IP.

Slime is a nobody to most gamers really. Even Simon Belmont can be recognized as the "Castlevania guy."
This. So much this. People keep saying they should have added chocobo instead of cloud. Like seriously wtf? Why would Sakurai add a third party character just because it "reps" something? Show me one time he added a generic race character over a main character.

Edit: no idea why the first post is there. Meant to reply to StormC only.

Last edited:

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
I know the more likelycharacter from SE is Geno, people have wanted him for a long time now. It's just Bravely Default is extremely popular in Japan, and Square Snix tease a third part recently in a post about the sucess of Octopath Travaler. There's not better way to promote a series which is exclusive on Nintendo that with a character in smash. The timing seems right

Just speculation though, don't get me wrong Geno fans

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I'll disagree on the booing. She's a lame character to watch, and she was hated by a lot of people on day 1, when everyone saw through the ballot propaganda. People don't like her for both of those reasons. Being vocal about it is a way to express your opinion

3 characters for such a small series is a lot, no matter how we spin it. They also got a ton of love with items, AT, smash run enemies and music, which is what people are talking about when they say KI got too much stuff (not just characters). A more popular series, DK which had just sold like 7 million copies, got a literal fraction of the content, to put that into perspective

I'm happy for most characters too. But acting like all these FE characters isn't excessive, seems a little biased and dishonest. I mean, sakurai himself made similar comments about over saturation. He went ahead and added the corin anyway, but if the creator of the game felt the same way, it's kind of hard to **** on people for having that opinion, isn't it?
Booing is childish. Bayonetta's fun as a character and fun to play, she just has to be toned down to not be broken. It's still tier list bs and only caring about the competitive scene..like everyone saying 'is it legal' to any stage reveal.

Most of that stuff was just easy to port over into the 3DS Smash, which is what happened with most enemies used. Sakurai also was more familiar with it and didn't have to ask permission or make sure it was represented in a way the IP director approved of since it was him. DK also was currently recovering as a series and Dixie hadn't been revived yet, so there were no good relevant characters to use. It's also kinda part of the bigger Mario Franchise, though not as much as Yoshi or Wario is.

I'm not ****ing on anyone, I'm just annoyed by hearing it overblown like that 'nausea' comment.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
He did have a trophy last game. There's still hope that he could have been upgraded to an assist trophy at the very least.
i haven't seen rayman in so long. i need my boy back in a big way. please samurai

as an expert in bunny girls i can tell you that this is the single worst designed bunny girl ive ever seen

Noipoi

Howdy!
A Square Enix character? In the same game where Sakurai finally put in Ridley and K Rool?
The answer is obvious.

It's the Slime.

nah it's Geno

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
You know what I mean. To me Nintendo was always a family friendly company and you know young kids play that game. Kids absorb stuff like that, and I know from personal experience that it’s not healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom