• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
If its true that the only newcomers coming now all originated from series we already have then I guess a lot of these wild card 3rd party or totally new series reps being added is out the window

So I guess we could see maybe one of these realistically
A new pokemon
Black Knight Echo
Medusa Echo
Ken Echo
Shadow Echo
Dixie Kong Echo
Isabelle Echo
Skull Kid
Bandanna Dee
Hades as a boss in spirits mode

Outside of these I really cant think of anyone else left that would make sense that isnt from a new IP. So I BET you some of the newcomers will be from this list.
Even if the stage thing wasn't an issue I would still bet money on a new Pokemon, Isabelle, and Shadow.
I'd bet on Geno too, Sakurai's going all out in this game.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i don't really enjoy people trying to tell me to buy something that might not be worth my money. i want ultimate, but i do have an expectation for it when it comes to characters. if it doesn't meet what i want i have no reason to buy it other than social bandwagging. and even then i can go play RoA or any of the other Smash clones that tend to be slightly better than the actual games

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
i don't really enjoy people trying to tell me to buy something that might not be worth my money. i want ultimate, but i do have an expectation for it when it comes to characters. if it doesn't meet what i want i have no reason to buy it other than social bandwagging. and even then i can go play RoA or any of the other Smash clones that tend to be slightly better than the actual games
I wasn't even telling you to buy it, man...I'm pretty sure nobody was, they were just giving you reasons to consider.
Buy and play what you want.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I still don't know what Geno's personality is.
From what i've seen of Mario rpg, Geno seems like a nice, polite, kinda nerdy spirit who's also incredibly op in battle.
I don't know why he's garnered such a strong following though, i guess people really like Mario rpg!

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I have no problem with that. I don't see a reason for them or you to even be discussing it. It's a pointless conversation. You feel dissatisfied with the amount of characters, while we feel that we're getting tons of stuff and it will be well worth the price. You're not going to change each others' minds. I'd recommend ALL of us talk about something more fun. (Like the "big 3" game this thread is doing) :)

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I have no problem with that. I don't see a reason for them or you to even be discussing it. It's a pointless conversation. You feel dissatisfied with the amount of characters, while we feel that we're getting tons of stuff and it will be well worth the price. You're not going to change each others' minds. I'd recommend ALL of us talk about something more fun. (Like the "big 3" game this thread is doing) :)
More fun? Let's talk about chairs again :troll:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
And what exactly do you think will make casual fans interested?

Ridley and K.Rool aren't picks for casual fans, as are characters like Simon or Geno if he's in.

The game is being targeted towards us first and foremost when it comes to roster selection; Sakurai saying as much that the ballot was a huge reason why K.Rool's even here in the first place.

Smash 4 was the time to add characters that the casual audience would recognize, Smash Ultimate is more driven for us hardcore fans.
DLC is going to be purely for the casuals. I bet on it.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
From what i've seen of Mario rpg, Geno seems like a nice, polite, kinda nerdy spirit who's also incredibly op in battle.
I don't know why he's garnered such a strong following though, i guess people really like Mario rpg!
He is pretty sick in concept. He's got a great design and is a warrior from the stars, and has pretty badass attacks. He also just doesn't show up anymore, and as SMRPG is pretty well-loved, he's a pretty nostalgic character.

Noipoi

Howdy!
When it comes to the "Big 3".
I guess i'd cut Isaac (sorry not sorry)
Assist Bandanna Dee (i'm actually sorry about this one)
and make Geno playable, just to see the hype levels explode.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
No ones forcing you to buy ****, but to denounce the game as "disappointing" or "not worth the money" when it simply doesn't cater to your specific picks is ridic. This game is ridiculously chock full of content, and if it's not meeting your expectations maybe the thing you should be questioning is your own expectations.

Spoken by a Central American dude who also probably can't afford Ultimate along with a Switch due to the crazy price vamping.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
It tries to, but it's not very good at it.

Pretty sure Rosalina only visits the Mushroom Kingdom once every 100 years. Why is she playing tennis and having fun at parties instead of piloting the Comet Observatory?
I always thought the canon reason was that Rosalina would usually visit the Mushroom Kingdom every 100 years until she met Mario, and then he started inviting her to parties, go-kart races, blood matches, etc.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Hold on

I really hope I misread that

Lemme show somethin' amazing real quick

Deja vu....
man did you see the shovel knight trailer tho

shovel knight has so much more depth in RoA than any of these characters and its really sad

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Young kids shouldn't play Xenoblade Chronicles 2..its rated Teen.
Nintendo is also actively trying to shed that Kiddy image to show they have games for all ages with the likes of Fire Emblem, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Bayonetta.

I also think we don't give kids enough credit..they aren't as dumb (couldn't think of a better word) as we seem to act like they are.
Yeah man, I cleverly managed to have Conker's Bad Fur Day bought and played it when no one else was around, when I was 14 (yeah, even the M rating didn't stop me from playing anything).

Not even a canon timeline tho
It tries to, but it's not very good at it.

Pretty sure Rosalina only visits the Mushroom Kingdom once every 100 years. Why is she playing tennis and having fun at parties instead of piloting the Comet Observatory?
Nintendo isn't intending to have Mario use canon, so the games can be accessible to everyone. There's a reason why they killed off Fawful after two games.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I have a weird sort of deal with Geno.

If you would have asked me, say, 2 years ago whether or not I want to see him in the game, I would have said "nah, he's a one off character from a 20 year old game, I'd rather he stay out."

But recently... I've kinda reversed course. I don't know why exactly, but I've gotten to the point where I'd actually be happy to see him. Maybe it's because I still thought he was a cool character, maybe it was because of his moveset potential. But nonetheless, my opinion has certainly changed since then.

He's not among my most wanted, but I'm not going to object if he gets in.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Everyone except Mario speaks, it's a mario rpg game after all.
And even Mario speaks in Courage the cowardly dog style charades.
It's a miracle anyone can understand them.

Or for that matter in the Mario & Luigi games where he and Luigi speak gibberitallian

Shroob

Sup?
Really, if Geno gets in, there's a bigger deal here than him representing Super Mario RPG.

It's the fact that if he gets in, it's a character that the community banded together to elevate to the levels of getting into Smash.

This is why Geno has always been a part of the "Big 3" when it comes to Smash.

:ultridley:? We've wanted him since Melee, but were always told he was "Too big" or "Couldn't make the character true to how he'd be", but god damnit we stayed persistent, and Sakurai FINALLY relented and gave us Ridley.

:ultkrool:? Nintendo themselves forbid Retro from putting him in Tropical Freeze's Switch port and had "No idea" he was even still popular. We as a community effectively kept him alive while Nintendo wanted to bury him to never be seen again, and look at the boi now.

Geno is the last piece.

A character from a well loved RPG that started gaining popularity as far back as Melee to the point that even Sakurai himself has shown interest in, and now he got a Mii Costume in Smash 4. He's THIS CLOSE to finally making it.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
DLC is going to be purely for the casuals. I bet on it.
Last DLC was mostly for hardcore fans though and it was well received, now Ultimate is the most well received Smash game ever because of how it caters to the fans. Why would they pull a 180 when their plan obviously works?
Well Geno can Transform into a canon...in Mario... so yes Geno is Mario canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom