• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Then Clouds appearance in KH on Nintendo consoles didn’t matter either.

If Sakurai wants a character and the company oks it that’s that.
Cloud wasn't selected based on his appearance in FF7, it was because his series holds weight in Nintendo history.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Nintendo relevancy really doesn't matter at all and never has.
Metal Gear's connection to Nintendo is irrelevant as to why Snake was added in the first place.
If Nintendo relevancy mattered we'd have gotten Terra instead of Cloud.

Dante seems out of place.
Nothing is out of place in a crossover like Smash.

I'm saying that Dante doesn't belong with a clash of series like Smash. It's out of place and doesn't belong here.
He's a video game character that helped defined a genre.
He more than belongs.

StormC

Smash Hero
This isn't about Sakurai, this is about my opinion. I'm not saying this is a rule preset in development, that's ridiculous. I'm saying that Dante doesn't belong with a clash of series like Smash. It's out of place and doesn't belong here.
If it makes you feel any better, I don't personally believe the leak, lol. But I would be lying if I said I wouldn't be excited about Dante.

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice
Ehh....

Somebody's playing with my heart because it includes Yuri and Travis.

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/428607428/smash-ultimate-remaining-newcomers

Also, イメージモックアップ means "image mock-up" so the image isn't real. I also like how everyone is like "i don't know this character so they are never happening."

can i get hyped or no because a yuri and skull kid trailer sounds like a fire idea
Yuri would be an amazing newcomer! Plus her chances are really underrated since Fatal Frame/Project Zero is actually Nintendo's property, so she would rep one of the few Nintendo franchises that don't have a rep and are actually alive.

Untouch

Smash Master
Hopefully we get some more footage later, this time with squad strike (please, we have NONE so far) and the belmonts.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
A great rule of thumb is that if a leak requires you to give it the benefit of the doubt to believe it, it probably isn't credible.

It irritates me to no end that so many people are brushing aside all the inconsistancies of the Gothitelle leak with "well we can't know for sure" and "maybe he just missed something".
This isn't about Sakurai, this is about my opinion. I'm not saying this is a rule preset in development, that's ridiculous. I'm saying that Dante doesn't belong with a clash of series like Smash. It's out of place and doesn't belong here.
Oh boy, this argument again.
Everyone in Smash is out of place with one another.
:ultsnake::ultgnw::ultwiifittrainer::ultcloud:

I'm not telling you to believe this leak, but that shouldn't be an argument against it by this point...or ever.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Meanwhile I was always in the camp that if we were getting a Final Fantasy character, it was gonna be Cloud and not Black Mage or Terra or something.

People want third party crossovers to play as iconic characters, not "reps." Cloud vs. Link is marketable. Robin vs. Black Mage not so much.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Okay here’s how I feel about Elma. And don’t tell me I have bias because Xenoblade X is one of my favorite games of all time. I’ve put out at least 1000 hours into that thing.

There’s (hopefully) no denying that the ballot and a popularity among fans is what is deciding what characters get in. When the smash ballot rolled around Elma’s game wasn’t even out yet, meaning she missed out on an entire month of voting until April 29, when her game was released. She obviously wasn’t the most popular character for the ballot compared to a lot of other characters like Isaac, K. Rool, Bandana Waddle Dee, etc. Xenoblade X also wasn’t the most popular game (although it had modest sales) despite good critical reception. This can probably be blamed on being a title for the Wii U, a dying console. Iirc, the ballot closed on October 2015 and the project plan was finished on December 2015, meaning she didn’t have a lot of time to gain widespread support. Imo if this were any other smash game relevancy would save her. But we now know that relevancy doesn’t matter, like, at all. That’s just how I see it and her chances. Also, I might be wrong on this, but I’ve only seen widespread support for her once everyone agreed Rex and Pyra weren’t making it. I’d love to be wrong about this because I love Xenoblade X, but I just don’t see it happening.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So I leave for a while and come back to possible Dante?

So much for "don't get too excited".

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
He's a video game character that helped defined a genre.
He more than belongs.
Let's just add all the genre defining characters then. Parappa the Rappa for rhythm, Pyramid Head for horror, Monika for visual novel, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles for beat em up. Sounds like a great idea. There's gotta be some boundaries somewhere guys. You all have them, so why is Dante okay and others aren't?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I’d rather have a Resident Evil character over Dante since the lack of RE content in smash is kind of an elephant in the room. It’s of the biggest franchises in gaming yet it doesn’t even have a mii costume? However, I’d still welcome Dante with open arms. He’s cool.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Let's just add all the genre defining characters then. Parappa the Rappa for rhythm, Pyramid Head for horror, Monika for visual novel, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles for beat em up. Sounds like a great idea. There's gotta be some boundaries somewhere guys. You all have them, so why is Dante okay and others aren't?
Please if we got the Beat Em Up genre definers it’d be the Double Dragon duo. As good as the Turtles games are (and they aren’t even game characters originally).

Dante basically created a genre that Bayonetta already celebrates having the two together would be great.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
As far as characters that don’t belong...I don’t get it. Nintendo reps alone are pretty varied. Ridley himself is murderous and heavy on the realistic detail. Kirby is like the symbolism of innocent cartoonishness. Wario looks like a cartooned biker’s portrait and uses his ass as a kill option. Cloud was almost sexually abused by Don Corneo. Bayonetta is sex appeal on a can of whoop ass. Snake is a military assassin. Mario Bros are just plumbers who took too many drugs on their way to fix a leak(head canon). Duck Hunt is a dog trained to fetch dead versions of his Duck buddy and somehow they’re just hanging out.

If something doesn’t fit into Smash in your head, then I don’t know what that is.

Nintendo or not, icons are icons. If a character is appreciated world wide in a video game, then there are some Smash players who want that character. More characters and IP’s means more players who have more reasons to love Smash.

Just as long as Sakurai’s team can handle the balancing well enough to make the game enjoyable, I say bring on the stampede.

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
I don't see the guy who predicted DMC stuff as the same who claims about him in Smash. Some proof about his identity?
If not, just another funny leak.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Don't Bayonetta games have similarities to Devil May Cry? I'm not sure how Dante wouldn't fit. I never really considered the idea before, but he'd be pretty cool to me.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Don't get me wrong, Dante's move set would fit in fine and they way he plays could be implemented very well, but his identity just seems off to me. Why him and not another Capcom character?

EDIT: Preferably one who's had all of his games on a Nintendo platform *cough cough*

Last edited:

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
We have Bayonetta, why do we need prototype bayonetta.

Like in general just keep the genre out of smash please. Even if Bayonetta becomes balanced, she'll never be fun to play against, she was a mistake and it would be dissapointing to see it repeated again to promote a new game

EDIT: I don't think this was specified, but if op of leak knew about the entire trailer of DMCV and Smash UT. I'd call the leak dead for good if dante is not revealed at gamescom.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Out of place when we have Snake and Bayo?
Yes. Moreso than those two. Is he going to be doing his self impalments? Get the sword through the chest.

He honestly is a better fit in playstation all stars. (Which was a great game by the way).

Also, new trailer. Got it. People are bored. Going back to goemon now i guess.

Nintendo relevancy really doesn't matter at all and never has.
Metal Gear's connection to Nintendo is irrelevant as to why Snake was added in the first place.

I agree with nintendo relevancy not being a thing but tbf Metal Gear originated on Nes and there was this remake of the first Metal Gear Solid on Gamecube:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I would just be surprised by Dante. Of all the franchises and all the possible characters (especially considering the ballot bias we've seen up to now) how did Sakurai land on Dante? Is he a popular pick in japan?

I know one dood who would loose his ****ing mind though.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Don't get me wrong, Dante's move set would fit in fine and they way he plays could be implemented very well, but his identity just seems off to me. Why him and not another Capcom character?

EDIT: Preferably one who's had all of his games on a Nintendo platform *cough cough*
I don't see how Dante is any more out of place than Bayo or Snake but well to each their own.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm expanding on my Season Pass thing here, didn't do Season 4 tho cuz that's gonna be decided by a second ballot. Feel free to do your take on this.
Season 1: Switchin’ Into The Future
Spring Man
Rex & Pyra
Edelgard
Gen 8 Pokemon
Malos (Shulk Echo)
Ribbon Girl (Spring Man Echo)

Season 2: Old Friends
Bandana Waddle Dee
Dixie Kong
Mona
Tails
Octoling (Inkling Echo)
Zack (Cloud Echo)

Season 3: Fighters From Another World
Dragon Warrior
Joker
Agumon
Reimu/Shantae
Ms. Pac-Man (Pac-Man Echo)
Roll (MegaMan Echo)
Mine are assuming Elma, Bandana Waddle Dee, Isaac, Lloyd Irving, Impa (Sheik echo) and Chorus Kids are on the base roster.
Season 1: Switch Stars
Twintelle
Dr. Coyle
Rex & Pyra
Edelgard or a Gen 8
Addam & Mythra (Rex & Pyra echo)
Octoling (Inkling echo)

Season 2: Girl Power
Dixie Kong (semi clone of Diddy; does not get the designation of Echo)
Fatal Frame character (90% of its protagonists are female)
Celica (Robin semi-clone; does NOT get the designation of echo)
Ayumi Tachibana (cause why not)
Kumatora (Lucas echo)*
Fiora (Elma echo)*

* = yes I’m aware they’re in Lucas and Shulk’s Final smashes respectively, perhaps they’ll be part of some special ballot to promote non-playable but non-Assist Trophy characters into playable

Season 3: From Another World
Neku Sakuraba
Rayman
Shantae
Dante (if not in base roster. If he is, then KOS-MOS)
Shadow (Sonic echo)
Zack (Cloud echo)

Future seasons TBD, but one may be a Villains season that includes Black Shadow as a Captain Falcon echo

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I would just be surprised by Dante. Of all the franchises and all the possible characters (especially considering the ballot bias we've seen up to now) how did Sakurai land on Dante? Is he a popular pick in japan?

I know one dood who would loose his ****ing mind though.
Y'know what? I change my mind. Put him the game I need that reaction video ASAP.

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
Dante in Smash? That's a newcomer I would totally go for. Better than Some of the characters people have been asking. Would be amazing to see people get salty because of him. Would be funny too if he got in instead of some of people's most requested.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Parappa: If Sony would allow it
Pyramid Head: Bring it on. He was in that Track and field DS game so he still fit the must be on nintendo system "rule"
Monika: Please, Japan has had all sorts of Visual novels that good very real out of nowhere while still being bonkers. She's hardly defining.
TMNT: Jimmy and Bimmy Lee defined the genre more than they ever could.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Okay here’s how I feel about Elma. And don’t tell me I have bias because Xenoblade X is one of my favorite games of all time. I’ve put out at least 1000 hours into that thing.

There’s (hopefully) no denying that the ballot and a popularity among fans is what is deciding what characters get in. When the smash ballot rolled around Elma’s game wasn’t even out yet, meaning she missed out on an entire month of voting until April 29, when her game was released. She obviously wasn’t the most popular character for the ballot compared to a lot of other characters like Isaac, K. Rool, Bandana Waddle Dee, etc. Xenoblade X also wasn’t the most popular game (although it had modest sales) despite good critical reception. This can probably be blamed on being a title for the Wii U, a dying console. Iirc, the ballot closed on October 2015 and the project plan was finished on December 2015, meaning she didn’t have a lot of time to gain widespread support. Imo if this were any other smash game relevancy would save her. But we now know that relevancy doesn’t matter, like, at all. That’s just how I see it and her chances. Also, I might be wrong on this, but I’ve only seen widespread support for her once everyone agreed Rex and Pyra weren’t making it. I’d love to be wrong about this because I love Xenoblade X, but I just don’t see it happening.
I really believe she's the only candidate for newcomer from Xenoblade Chronicles right now, and I think XC X deserves to have representation in the game. Rex & Pyra would be DLC for sure.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
There's gotta be some boundaries somewhere guys. You all have them, so why is Dante okay and others aren't?
The boundary is Video Game characters.
If they originate from a video game they're fair play.

Dante is the face of a genre defining franchise that this year at E3, got a tremendous reaction upon DMCV being revealed.

Yes. Moreso than those two
He objectively isn't. He fits in perfectly next to Bayonetta and would work in Kid Icarus which also has Underworld creatures as the main enemy.

Is he going to be doing his self impalments? Get the sword through the chest.
No, he can do his literally a bazillion other moves instead.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Having seen today's footage, something about K. Rool's Final Smash is jarring to me.

I know the implication is the opponent is ON the island K. Rool shoots, but due to the sudden total scenario change and no visual cues it really does look like K. Rool smacks the enemy and then randomly blows up DK Island causing the opponent...emotional damage or something.

Simply showcasing the opponent on the recieving end being on that island for even a split second would have really helped I feel. Just weird. Even if it was just them standing at the front of the island as the beam shoots in...

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
If Smash gets classic design Dante, it will only allows us all to look back on PS:Allstars and truly say in unison
"What the **** were you thinking?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom