• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Dante, or Donte, already has a playable appearance in a Smash style game in PSASBR and he "fits" fine.

The obstacles to his inclusion would be
1. No franchise relationship with Nintendo
2. Capcom oversaturation
3. Genre overlap with Bayonetta

Honestly, my biggest doubts lie in the disbelief that Sakurai would pick the face of already represented Action games as opposed to the face and almost sole producer of Hunting games, Monster Hunter, especially with how big it is in Japan.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
If we go by character origins or old Nintendo games, Ninja Gaiden was first on NES. So, Ryu Hayabusa is a possibility in this case.
Other NES titles:
BattleToads
Dragon Warrior
Gauntlet
Ghosts n Goblins
Might and Magic
Nobunaga’s Ambition
Prince of Persia
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Star Tropics
Contra
Ultima

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Monika's Final Smash would be the most game breaking of them all. She'd simply just delete every other character from the game and woo Sakurai away from his wife.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that really a Simon thing?
It'd be very weird if they gave both of those characters Simon's walking animation if Richter came first, especially considering that Dark Samus has a unique one.
Richter has an identical walking animation to Simon in his games.
1) But the ESRB leak had proof to back up its unreasonable circumstances. Legitimate proof. This is a guy saying he stole a unit from an event and datamined it, and when questioned, he just doesn't have access to it anymore. It breathes bullcrap.
2) Literally no. They would not pick a later protagonist over the original protagonist of a 3rd-party series. That'd be like if their first pick for Mega Man was Zero and they only later decided 'Oh yeah, let's actually add the original main character, Mega Man.' Additionally, you're acting like Simon and his trailer, which he is OBVIOUSLY the focus of, was done within the time between CEO and the August direct. It's preposterous to believe Richter was really added first when 80% of the Castlevania section of the direct was spent on Simon.
3) That's assuming Gardevoir makes it in in the first place, and that she of all Pokemon would get an echo. If they wanted to include a 5th-gen Pokemon, they'd actually listen to fan demands like they've been with every character so far instead of adding a character just for the sake of repping Gen 5 when 95% of people won't give a damn about Gothitelle in the slightest. (Gardevoir IS possible, but this rumor doesn't change her chances one way or the other).
1) And people still called it fake. There was also the 100% correct leak on GameFaqs that was called fake due to Duck Hunt being seen as impossible and not including the Chorus Men from the widely believed Gematsu leak.
2) They chose Cloud over Warrior of Light due to popularity. Cloud isn't from the first game in his series. The demo is also from May, Simon could have been worked on but not yet implemented into the character select code yet. The trailer could easily be made in a two month time frame.
3) I know, I'm playing Devil's Advocate. Sakurai also may not go with fan demand for every character. We can never assume what Sakurai will do..4/5 times we'll be wrong.
I knew someone was gonna make this dumb argument. Cloud appeared because Final Fantasy never had any interesting protagonists on Nintendo platforms and he's the most recognizable. Completely different from not having appeared on ANY Nintendo platform ever
Really? Terra Branford & Cecil Harvey aren't interesting protagonists?
I'd claim that they, and their games, are more interesting then Cloud & FFVII are..but that's subjective.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Having seen today's footage, something about K. Rool's Final Smash is jarring to me.

I know the implication is the opponent is ON the island K. Rool shoots, but due to the sudden total scenario change and no visual cues it really does look like K. Rool smacks the enemy and then randomly blows up DK Island causing the opponent...emotional damage or something.

Simply showcasing the opponent on the recieving end being on that island for even a split second would have really helped I feel. Just weird. Even if it was just them standing at the front of the island as the beam shoots in...
Dude, I’m not even fighting him and it absolutely destroyed me.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
3) I know, I'm playing Devil's Advocate. Sakurai also may not go with fan demand for every character.
If he doesn't go with fan demand, he'd go with The Pokemon Company's demands. And they would never think about marketing Gothitelle this late.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Dante seems out of place.
Why are people wantong him now?
*Ahem* Capcom in talks with Sakurai/Nintendo -> Adds Megaman and Ryu to Smash. Capcom: "We got a new DMC game in development *wink wink*"

But actually, relevance doesn't matter in Smash. Dante actually could probably fit pretty well in the game, and Capcom probably wants to make him relevant (not to smash, but for them) again and compete with Bayonetta (total guess here).

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Looking at the Project X Zone series there's a lot of potential for even more sega, namco and capcom reps

Wouldn't be surprised if the franchises represented in project x zone appear in the far future of smash dlc

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Some things about the K. Rool footage:

1. Why is his song literally THE PIRATE SHIP in all caps?
2. Holy **** F-Air Blunderbuss true combo + mega powerful?
3. I feel like they were really lazy and just posed K. Rool's CSS look and put it in a victory animation

other than that nothing out of the norm

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Some things about the K. Rool footage:

1. Why is his song literally THE PIRATE SHIP in all caps?
2. Holy **** F-Air Blunderbuss true combo + mega powerful?
3. I feel like they were really lazy and just posed K. Rool's CSS look and put it in a victory animation

other than that nothing out of the norm
It’s named “THE PIRATE SHIP” in the Japanese version. The English version of the K. Rool vs Snake video names the track “Gangplank Galleon”

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The only thing I see is Chrom completely invalidating Roy's existence.

I seriously don't know why anyone would pick Roy.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Nah but for real never knew Dante had so much hate after him

What makes him that different from Bayonetta?

The fact that he didn't have a game published by the big N?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Having seen today's footage, something about K. Rool's Final Smash is jarring to me.

I know the implication is the opponent is ON the island K. Rool shoots, but due to the sudden total scenario change and no visual cues it really does look like K. Rool smacks the enemy and then randomly blows up DK Island causing the opponent...emotional damage or something.

Simply showcasing the opponent on the recieving end being on that island for even a split second would have really helped I feel. Just weird. Even if it was just them standing at the front of the island as the beam shoots in...
I mean, why would Samus' ship just happen to be flying by when Ridley wants to use his big beam breath attack

Especially if Samus is IN the match and on the receiving end of it

Smash doesn't make any damn sense

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

Off the top of my head: Roy has a much better recovery (more horizontal) and probably has a stronger full charged B (the explosion definitely will be his own still)

D

Deleted member

Because Roy's our boy.

In all seriousness, I like Roy more, so I'll probably select him more often than Chrom. I don't use Roy in tournament either, so I'm not putting myself at a disadvantage when it matters I'm a Shulk main so I do that anyway.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Dante, or Donte, already has a playable appearance in a Smash style game in PSASBR and he "fits" fine.

The obstacles to his inclusion would be
1. No franchise relationship with Nintendo
2. Capcom oversaturation
3. Genre overlap with Bayonetta

Honestly, my biggest doubts lie in the disbelief that Sakurai would pick the face of already represented Action games as opposed to the face and almost sole producer of Hunting games, Monster Hunter, especially with how big it is in Japan.
"Third party companies can't get more than one playable representative!"

"Third Party companies can't get more than two playable representatives!'

Can we stop with these fan rules about third parties? All bets are off now.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
As for the Team Metroid vs Team Anime, that Lucina juggling on Ridley scares me.

Dark Samus is obviously more floaty now that we've seen more of her, and her phazon shot seems to be bigger and travels farther when weaker, but shorter at full power when compared to Samus' energy shots.

Which one did you watch? In the one I watched, it was Gangplank Galleon...
JP one because it was the quickest one I could get to.

It’s named “THE PIRATE SHIP” in the Japanese version.
okay but why?

"Third parties can't get more than one playable representative!"

"Third Party Companies can't get more than two playable representatives!'

Can we stop with these fan rules about third parties? All bets are off now.
I think you mean to say that in reverse order. Castlevania isn't a company.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Hold on, hold on. I've clearly missed a lot. What happened to make everyone start talking about Dante?

RandomAce

Smash Champion

Chrom seems to have an extra emphasis on spacing since he won’t get the same reward Roy gets when he is up close.

It seems Roy is going to be a more Rushdown character where he excels up close. Chrom has to space because there isn’t a benefit to being up close, not to mention he now has a less stellar Up special where as Roy can link some moves into his upspecial and can kill with it at the top.

Well, see how it goes, but the sudden speed and more offensive tone seems to benefit Roy a lot. But let’s wait and see. Also, Roy’s popular, I’d still play as him.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I mean, why would Samus' ship just happen to be flying by when Ridley wants to use his big beam breath attack

Especially if Samus is IN the match and on the receiving end of it

Smash doesn't make any damn sense
Yeah, but at least we see the opponent hit the ship in that case. Cinematically it flows even if it's weird to see someone else is piloting Samus' ship if she's the one crashing into it.

Personally not a big fan of the cinematic final smashes changing the location completely but at least Ridley's looks like he's attacking his opponent.

K. Rool just seems like blowing up DK Island is his default setting, and he forgot who he was fighting.

...yes I know that IS K. Rool's default setting. It's just a messy Final Smash.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
As for the Team Metroid vs Team Anime, that Lucina juggling on Ridley scares me.

Dark Samus is obviously more floaty now that we've seen more of her, and her phazon shot seems to be bigger and travels farther when weaker, but shorter at full power when compared to Samus' energy shots.

JP one because it was the quickest one I could get to.

okay but why?

I think you mean to say that in reverse order. Castlevania isn't a company.
Konami is. You misinrepreted it. I'm referring to Sega, Capcom, and Konami as companies

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
I thought Roy being a rushdown character wasn't true though? When he came out everyone thought this but doesn't he have to space a lot more than originally thought?

EDIT: and i'm not sure how the speed increases in ultimate change this either.

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman

Roy still has the better Up B move and the more aggressive gameplay of Ultimate might benefit Roy. Not that Chrom is any slouch.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If you look at the Final Smash, the part that actually sends the opponent flying is when K Rool jumps into them

Blowing up DK island is just a bonus

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Hold on, hold on. I've clearly missed a lot. What happened to make everyone start talking about Dante?
I dont know man, they laughed about him and then we get 5 more pages talking about it seriously… I don't get it really, smh

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
Nah but for real never knew Dante had so much hate after him

What makes him that different from Bayonetta?

The fact that he didn't have a game published by the big N?
The issue is that he ISN'T that different from Bayonetta. Trust me, if Dante gets added, then the smash community won't last past 2020. For the health of everyone I hope dante doesn't get in.

As a character? I like him a lot, good game even if I couldn't get past like boss 2 from the one I played, all respect for him, he can just stay away from this one particular game.

And before you say he wasn't that bad PS All Stars, that's a very different beast to smash, and when your competition was **** like Raiden Sly and Kat, even good characters wouldn't seem that amazing

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I thought Roy being a rushdown character wasn't true though? When he came out everyone thought this but doesn't he have to space a lot more than originally thought?

EDIT: and i'm not sure how the speed increases in ultimate change this either.
He definitely is one.

In fact, unless you want to hit your opponent with a wet noodle you don’t want to hit with the tip, it does NOTHING.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I dont know man, they laughed about him and then we get 5 more pages talking about it seriously… I don't get it really, smh
Would you rather talk about Sakurai's hair strands hiding a secret message that's hinting at a fighter?

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
And what makes this 4chan leak more credible than any others?
I think it's less about the Dante leak being credible and more about people arguing whether or not Dante is possible/deserved. and having strong opinions about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom