• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I know almost nothing about Dante but I can already tell he'd be fun to play as.
Skull Kid has been one of my most wanted character. But seeing his fanbase almost makes me not want the character in Smash. They suddenly grew overnight and became extraordinary arrogant, especially for a character no one believed had a chance just a short time ago.
You think you have it bad? What about us lanky purple man supporters?

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I played a bit of Dante in MvC3, so Im not too unaware of him, he's just such an out there inclusion. But, I guess now with :ultsnake: :ultcloud: :ultbayonetta: , he wouldn't seem too out of place anymore. /v/ seems to be very fond of the idea of Dante for Smash, for some reason.

I'm not dying to see him in the game, but I wouldnt be against him. I do have the DMC Trilogy sitting downstairs on PS2, so I'll try it tomorrow and see if I like the game enough to get really into the idea of Dante in Smash.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Skull Kid has been one of my most wanted character. But seeing his fanbase almost makes me not want the character in Smash. They suddenly grew overnight and became extraordinary arrogant, especially for a character no one believed had a chance just a short time ago.
It can happen to any character, sadly. Skull Kid just was the byproduct of a little over analysis being spread by the people with the most reach and now he's gone from a small dedicated fanbase to a bunch of rabid new supporters chirping all over the place like the seagulls from Finding Nemo.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I wonder if people that want dante in teh game realize they are asking Cloud AND Bayonetta merged into one character? XD

Joking aside, at least would be cool to see a Dante/Bayonetta rivaly

Regarding Gamescon, i wouldn't expect a reveal. is still august people!
What i would expect and would be very swweet is tons of Krool and Simon footage.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I'd sooner think that the Dante in Smash bit was just to mess with everyone when the rest of the real information was confirmed to be true, rather than actually believe Dante will be revealed.

StormC

Smash Hero
I've always preferred Dante to Bayonetta so I would be super down with this, but I imagine a lot of people would be pissed.

Oh well, what else is new with Smash.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I have a theory. I think the base roster of Super Smash Bros Ultimate is going to focus on older characters, and that newer characters will be early DLC. DLC that's been planned during development.

I think the base game is going to focus on including characters like Gardevoir, Gothitelle, and Elma, and DLC will include characters like Rex and an Alolan Pokemon, along with eventually Arms and Fire Emblem: The Three Houses.

It's not that crazy that an Alolan Pokemon might be reserved for very early (almost immediate) DLC. Super Smash Bros Melee originally didn't even plan on including a Gen II Pokemon, but Pichu luckily made it in as a result of echo fighters being included as extras. Plus Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire and Xenoblade X were really popular games among the fanbase, so it would be a good strategy to include as many fan favorites as possible if you start with the earlier characters and then include the newer fighters after release. This is Super Smash Bros Ultimate after all. So it makes it sense to include Gardevoir, Gothitelle, and Elma to ensure every Pokemon and Xenoblade game has a fighter.

The fact that we haven't seen an Alolan Pokemon stage yet may support this too, as it would likely be packaged with the Alolan Pokemon DLC and a Xenoblade 2 stage packaged with Rex, as well as a Fire Emblem 16 stage packaged with Byleth, and so on and so on.

I also feel like we may have seen an Elma assist trophy by now if she wasn't intended to be a playable fighter. Of course, just because we haven't seen something yet, doesn't mean it's not gonna happen.

In other words, if you plan on doing DLC in advance, the best strategy would be to include the long requested fan favorites first, then include the most recent ones. Though, I don't think DLC is going to be paid this time though, seeing as it would contradict the "Everyone is Here" selling point if you had to purchase fighters.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Gothitelle would be the best choice since none of the others in Gen 5 align well with any other Pokémon on the roster.
I've mentioned they could make Emolga or Minccino out of Pikachu. And that's what the Pokemon Company would probably rather have, because they've gotten more post-Gen V merch than Gothitelle.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Really? Your third Capcom franchise is gonna be Devil May Cry when the series has never even appeared on a Nintendo platform? I don't buy it.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
eh' Dante is similar to bayonetta who im not particularly a big fan of. I'd be ok with dante but he isnt a character for me really and I was hopeful we'd get more "k rool" like choices from here on out, smash fan favorite, where as dante doesnt really fall into that imo.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
I have a theory. I think the base roster of Super Smash Bros Ultimate is going to focus on older characters, and that newer characters will be early DLC. DLC that's been planned during development.

I think the base game is going to focus on including characters like Gardevoir and Elma, and DLC will include characters like Rex and an Alolan Pokemon, along with eventually Arms and Fire Emblem: The Three Houses.

It's not that crazy that an Alolan Pokemon might be reserved for very early (almost immediate) DLC. Super Smash Bros Melee originally didn't even plan on including a Gen II Pokemon, but Pichu luckily made it in as a result of echo fighters being included as extras. Plus Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire and Xenoblade X were really popular games among the fanbase, so it would be a good strategy to include as many fan favorites as possible if you start with the earlier characters and then include the newer fighters after release. This is Super Smash Bros Ultimate after all.

The fact that we haven't seen an Alolan Pokemon stage yet may support this too, as it would likely be packaged with the Alolan Pokemon DLC and a Xenoblade 2 stage packaged with Rex, as well as a Fire Emblem 16 stage packaged with Byleth, and so on and so on.

I also feel like we may have seen an Elma assist trophy by now if she wasn't intended to be a playable fighter. Of course, just because we haven't seen something yet, doesn't mean it's not gonna happen.

In other words, if you plan on doing DLC in advance, the best strategy would be to include the long requested fan favorites first, then include the most recent ones. Though, I don't think DLC is going to be paid this time though, seeing as it would contradict the "Everyone is Here" selling point if you had to purchase fighters.
Elma isn’t a very old character.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Really? Your third Capcom franchise is gonna be Devil May Cry when the series has never even appeared on a Nintendo platform? I don't buy it.
Really? Your Final Fantasy character is gonna be Cloud when FFVII has never even appeared on a Nintendo platform? I don't buy it.

D

Deleted member

Leaked image of Dantes
AvengerDantesStage3.png
I'd sooner think that the Dante in Smash bit was just to mess with everyone when the rest of the real information was confirmed to be true, rather than actually believe Dante will be revealed.
Man, is my wish going to be granted so soon?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Guys imagine the potential third party roster. I don't think any Fighting Game could beat this potential roster.

Snake
Sonic
Shadow
Mega Man
Pac-Man
Ryu
Ken
Cloud
Bayonetta
Simon
Richter
Dante
Heihachi
Lloyd
Geno
Banjo

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Cloud at least has the reasoning of representing Final Fantasy as a whole and being super requested. Plus, he's been in a bunch of spin-off Final Fantasy games and Kingdom Hearts.

Dante was in Project X Zone. That's about as far as his Nintendo history goes.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
idk Dante seems way off to be a base game addition. He's the kind of character that fits way more the bill for DLC, kinda like Cloud in Smash 4. His name alone would sell a lot.
well to me at least

And I agree. If the ESRB leaker out of all peopl did the same with that bogus DLC characters leak, the same could happen with any leak lol

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
idk Dante seems way off to be a base game addition. He's the kind of character that fits way more the bill for DLC, kinda like Cloud in Smash 4. His name alone would sell a lot.
well to me at least

And I agree. If the ESRB leaker out of all peopl did the same with that bogus DLC characters leak, the same could happen with any leak lol
The ESRB person did a DLC leak? Who did he say would get in as DLC?

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If only we can get Geno in, I don't care who they'd add otherwise.

They could add ...Bandana Dee and Waluigi for all I care after that

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
How can you be so certain?
How can you? You said he's definitely happening. Except I think my position makes Ubisoft's relation with Nintendo is completely irrelevant to whether or not he's likely. There are a dozen third party fighters as requested as he is or more.

So, I was kind of poking fun at you being so certain.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
How can you? You said he's definitely happening. Except I think my position makes Ubisoft's relation with Nintendo is completely irrelevant to whether or not he's likely. There are a dozen third party fighters as requested as he is or more.

So, I was kind of poking fun at you being so certain.
I'd be hesitant to say a dozen. Very hesitant.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I've mentioned they could make Emolga or Minccino out of Pikachu. And that's what the Pokemon Company would probably rather have, because they've gotten more post-Gen V merch than Gothitelle.
Emolga being unable to glide would be odd and Minccino doesn't have similar abilities to Pikachu, it can only learn Thunderbolt & Thunderwave by TM, and even then its not known for them, its only similar to Pikachu appearance-wise. Gothitelle also has similar popularity to them, being one of the more well known Pokémon from Gen V.

Merch doesn't mean much. It's easy to make merch of cuter, smaller Pokémon, especially if they look similar to Pikachu.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
If the leak is real, and Ken is also in the game, we'd be getting two Capcom newcomers with the same VA and I find that pretty funny for some reason.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Can you elaborate on that first bit? I have no DMC knowledge. Would the rest of the leak be easily guessable?
Itsuno basically said something a while back about Angels not being necessary to the DMC story so they don't appear
The rest of it isn't quite so easy to guess really. It's story details and we still know nothing aside from a big demon tree and someone took Nero's devil arm.

So it may just be that they're off-base on mentioning angels alone.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Another odd thing about this leak? The guy describes the entire supposed Dante reveal trailer.

I don't believe we've ever had a leak that detailed an entire reveal trailer word for word that ended up true. This thing feels like the CEO leak all over again.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Minccino doesn't have similar abilities to Pikachu that I recall, just appearance-wise.
They could remove Roy's fire from Chrom, and Minccino can learn a couple electric-type moves, including Thunder Wave, the basis for one of Pikachu's customs.
Gothitelle also has similar popularity to them, being one of the more well known Pokémon from Gen V.
With that popularity poll showing Gothitelle way lower, I doubt it.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I’ve been seeing this around lately, but why do some people predict a Gen 7 Pokemon is going to be DLC?

Like if you’re working on DLC and the next big Switch game is coming up in about a year, you’ll definitely develop a Gen 8 character than an outdated on on by the time the character comes out.

It’s base or bust unfortunately for Gen 7, unless the 2019 game is by some chance a Gen 7 tie in.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I love how we're all just assuming a character will be OP not just before we see any gameplay footage, but before we know if he's even in the game.
2) No it doesn't, there's enough reason to believe that Richter was started before Simon seeing as 90% of Simon's moveset was also used by Richter, exclusively Richter in a lot of cases. He's also more popular than Simon in Japan. It could easily have been that Simon was decided on to join the roster using the moveset designed for Richter but label Richter as the Echo Fighter due to Simon having seniority.
What about that walking animation? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that really a Simon thing?
It'd be very weird if they gave both of those characters Simon's walking animation if Richter came first, especially considering that Dark Samus has a unique one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom