• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Frankly I can picture him moving around just fine. Just have him face at an angle like R.O.B. and make sure his limbs don't go swaying to far as he moves.

If you really wanted to though you could probably style him over the Minecraft: Story Mode series' artstyle.
Story Mode just shows how much they had to cheat to even begin to make Steve work as a character. Higher res face texture/geometry so he can actually emote, limbs that bend so he can actually animate, etc.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Just for fun, if you had to choose between having 5 unique characters in Issac, Geno, Banjo, Skull Kid and Bandana Dee, or 15 echo fighters of your choice what would you pick?
:ultbayonetta:- Jeanne
:ultfalcon:- Black Shadow
:ultdiddy:- Dixie
:ultdk:- Funky
:ultdoc:- Dr.Luigi
:ultfox:/:ultfalco:/:ultwolf:- Slippy
:ultinkling:- Octolings
:ultmarth:- Alm or Lyn
:ultness:- Ninten
:ultpalutena:- Medusa or Viridi
:ultrobin- Celica
:ultryu:- Ken
:ultsonic:- Shadow
:ultzelda:- Hilda
Quality with Quantity is even better
Smash Ultimate in a nutshell

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Does anybody else want a Smash Bros. rep? I don't really count Miis as such, nor do I count Roy or R.O.B., either. Perhaps Primid?​

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Speaking of echo fighters, how are y'all gonna handle them when you get the game? Are you gonna keep them separate, or are you gonna take advantage of the feature that lets you stack 'em with the character they're based on?

Personally, I'm gonna keep 'em separate. Makes the roster look more impressive, plus Chrom and Dark Samus have too many noticeable differences from their counterparts for me to just relegate them to glorified alts.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Alright fine, I'll pick the 15 echoes over the 5 newcomers, but I'll be sure to abuse every last drop of my hypothetical power as I do it!

Decidueye as :ultfalco:
Bubsy the Bobcat as :ultsonic:
Kraid as :ultkrool:
Shadow Pit as :ultdarkpit:

Peter Pan as :ultyounglink:
Mr.Krabs as :ultwario:
Kermit the Frog as :ultgreninja:
Goku as :ultlucario:
Rumble McSkirmish as :ultryu:
Kim Possible as :ultsheik:
Baymax as :ultsamus:
Generic Blue-haired anime swordsman as :ultchrom:
Godzilla as :ultyoshi:
Noodle the Snake as :ultsnake:
Squidward as :ultinkling:

I honestly can't imagine a better roster.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Alright fine, I'll pick the 15 echoes over the 5 newcomers, but I'll be sure to abuse every last drop of my hypothetical power as I do it!

It gets worse the further down you read.​

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Speaking of echo fighters, how are y'all gonna handle them when you get the game? Are you gonna keep them separate, or are you gonna take advantage of the feature that lets you stack 'em with the character they're based on?

Personally, I'm gonna keep 'em separate. Makes the roster look more impressive, plus Chrom and Dark Samus have too many noticeable differences from their counterparts for me to just relegate them to glorified alts.
Keep them separate. I think every playable character deserves to have their own spot on the CSS.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Story Mode just shows how much they had to cheat to even begin to make Steve work as a character. Higher res face texture/geometry so he can actually emote, limbs that bend so he can actually animate, etc.
I mean... if the deed has already been done then what's stopping them from using that style in Ultimate?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I think I speak for everyone when I say I want as much big **** energy from the roster as possible

D

Deleted member

Stacking them. They're almost the same character as their base, and having too large a roster is going to look ridiculous on a small screen. It also bothers me that echoes break the number order.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
Been hypnotically watching Zachmac's signature and - I'm sure it's been discussed before but - I noticed this fairly prominent castle in the background of the victory pose... do we have any clue what it is? Something from the story mode maybe?

castle.png

Oh wow, really? I thought quality over quantity would be the most obvious choice, but it looks like I might actually be in the minority here.
That was too much of a good deal... i mean 15 for the price of 5! :p

Lmao. Awesome.

Plz not Bubsy!!! NOOoooOOOOoooOO!

I'm having war veteran style flashbacks just now ! WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG!? Every damn thing! :p

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Just for fun, if you had to choose between having 5 unique characters in Issac, Geno, Banjo, Skull Kid and Bandana Dee, or 15 echo fighters of your choice what would you pick?
Unique characters. I prefer quality over quantity. Not to mention those specific character picks aren't too shabby.

There's only a handful of clone fighters I'd be interested in, being James McCloud, Shadow, Impa, and Isabelle.

Another unpopular opinion, but I'd probably keep clone fighters bundled with their original. Makes the roster look less bloated.

Noipoi

Howdy!

I'm keeping em' all separate, I want it to be a hassle to find the character I want.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Out of those 5, I only like Isaac, but I rather have those 5 instead of the echoes for 2 reason:
1. Echoes are just basically fillers, not matter how well design they are. I'd rather have unique characters, than any number of echoes.
2. For the people who been wanting these characters for so long. Game wise (excluding winning a tournament and a boat load of money), nothing is better than getting a character you've wanted for so long. So why take that away from other people if you had the choice? It'll also make it more fun to play against other players in Smash.
Honestly, after seeing Cloud, Ridley and King K. Rool, I don't think I'm able to be surprised anymore. Seriously, they could announce Goku and I'd just be like "Huh. Neat." That's how bonkers this ride has been. I've went numb to the insanity.​
Welcome to madness, It was getting lonely here, so I'm glad I have company, everyone else is late though.

D

Deleted member

I have a question for people who have been part of the Smash Speculation scene for a long time (especially on both this and other sites).

How strong was the general buzz around Skull Kid during the Brawl and Sm4sh days, compared to other characters?

I'm especially interested in the Sm4sh days, because people seem to think Skull Kid is likely now, but if Sakurai is pulling from the Smash Ballot, was he actually even voted for in large numbers in 2015/16?

I don't mean to come off as saying "Skull Kid is impossible" or anything, or like I'm hating on the character; I'm just interested in what his fan demand actually was back when fan demand mattered the most.
I joined after he had already been deconfirmed but there was always a divide om what Zelda newcomer we should get so I'd say he was as popular as Ghirahim, Midna and such(read: not a whole lot).
His popularity has really risen these days due to all the rumors, way more than I jave ever seen.

Still, he is the main antagonist from MM which is considered a cult classic these days and his game is one of the few that didn't create a divide within the Zelda fanbase so I'd say that if Sakurai were to choose a Zelda character due to popular demand, it would be him(besides Impa but she ism't that popular despite being the obvious choice)

Keep them all separate because I like big meaty rosters
I think I speak for everyone when I say I want as much big **** energy from the roster as possible
Of course you'd want it when you have none yourself.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Been hypnotically watching Zachmac's signature and - I'm sure it's been discussed before but - I noticed this fairly prominent castle in the background of the victory pose... do we have any clue what it is? Something from the story mode maybe?

View attachment 158886
Smash 4 also had random architecture on it's victory screen
Wii_U_008.bmp.jpg

Probably means nothing. I think there's a similar castle in Battlefield, so it's probably just a setting for that.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

View attachment 158886
For now, we shall assume it’s either nothing but a background bonus or it plays a role in a possible story mode
Sandbag is clearly the best choice for a smash bros. original fighter

and Sandbag-chan as an echo
I’m still shocked they never made Sandbag a fighter after nearly 20 years of being beaten on

D

Deleted member

You guys don't know how pissed I was when Naruto Storm 4 divided the roster between pages. You know how hype it would have been to see 108 ****ing characters on the cmscreen at once?
Oh wow, really? I thought quality over quantity would be the most obvious choice, but it looks like I might actually be in the minority here.
It's not really quality when I don't personally care for any of them.
Just Hector as an Echo would be enough for me to dump those 5.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Easy
:ultlink:Classic:ultyoshi:Boshi:ultpichu:Plusle/Minum:ultzelda:Hilda:ultvillager:Isabelle:ultshulk:[spoiler guys]:ultike:Black Knight:ultinkling:Octoling:ultness:Ninten:ultsheik:Impa:ultryu:Sakura:ultolimar:Louie/the other guys from 3:ultrobinCelica:ultdk:Funky:ultfalcon:Black Shadow

KMDP

Smash Legend
I joined after he had already been deconfirmed but there was always a divide om what Zelda newcomer we should get so I'd say he was as popular as Ghirahim, Midna and such(read: not a whole lot).
His popularity has really risen these days due to all the rumors, way more than I jave ever seen.

Still, he is the main antagonist from MM which is considered a cult classic these days and his game is one of the few that didn't create a divide within the Zelda fanbase so I'd say that if Sakurai were to choose a Zelda character due to popular demand, it would be him(besides Impa but she ism't that popular despite being the obvious choice).
Thanks for answering, Shishœ. :grin:

People need to remember that Skull Kid is not necessarily a lock, especially if Sakurai is pulling mainly from the ballot for Smash Ultimate.

With the fact that Skull Kid already existed in Smash 4 (disconfirmation of playability affected a lot of character voting back then), and the fact that Zelda wants are very, very diluted (the return of Young Link from Melee; Skull Kid, Midna, Tetra, Impa, Ghirahim, Hilda, Vaati, MM Young Link, Groose, Pig Ganon, Lana, HW Impa, Toon Zelda), how many people actually voted for him?

Last edited:

Hank Hill

Smash Apprentice
If there is a story mode in this game, what do you think is gonna be the storyline? Is it gonna be non-existent like Melee's Adventure mode, or will it have some substance like Brawl's Subspace Emissary?

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
If there is a story mode in this game, what do you think is gonna be the storyline? Is it gonna be non-existent like Melee's Adventure mode, or will it have some substance like Brawl's Subspace Emissary?
I think it will be similar to how Smash 4 handled things. No substance for the most part and then an incredibly cryptic lore dump at the end.​

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I have a question for people who have been part of the Smash Speculation scene for a long time (especially on both this and other sites).

How strong was the general buzz around Skull Kid during the Brawl and Sm4sh days, compared to other characters?

I'm especially interested in the Sm4sh days, because people seem to think Skull Kid is likely now, but if Sakurai is pulling from the Smash Ballot, was he actually even voted for in large numbers in 2015/16?

I don't mean to come off as saying "Skull Kid is impossible" or anything, or like I'm hating on the character; I'm just interested in what his fan demand actually was back when fan demand mattered the most.
What I'll give SK is his support was always consistent. He never lacked people who would have liked to see him in. Now it rose and dropped, specially the further down the timeline we get (if I recall correctly he was most popular in the pre/post brawl days). In the pre Sm4sh days he lost steam due to skyward sword having just come out and people wanting to see the villain from that game make it. (I forget the long tongue ******** name.) As far as ballot goes I can't attest but his strength was always in his ease of use. No hoops to jump, a classic Zelda villain, popular, if sakurai wanted him he wouldn't have a hard time with it. I wouldn't be surprised if he did well, he got a costume after all.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I wanted Midna as a new Zelda rep. Unfortunately it didn't come to pass. Until BoTW I wasn't huge on Zelda but I did play WW and TP, with a bit of 2D ones but never fully beat them. I don't have the same nostalgia for Skull Kid like others do.

Speaking of a Zelda rep I think would be neat...Tetra. gimme a pirate moveset.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
What I'll give SK is his support was always consistent. He never lacked people who would have liked to see him in. Now it rose and dropped, specially the further down the timeline we get (if I recall correctly he was most popular in the pre/post brawl days). In the pre Sm4sh days he lost steam due to skyward sword having just come out and people wanting to see the villain from that game make it. (I forget the long tongue eastwards name.) As far as ballot goes I can't attest but his strength was always in his ease of use. No hoops to jump, a classic Zelda villain, popular, if sakurai wanted him he wouldn't have a hard time with it. I wouldn't be surprised if he did well, he got a costume after all.
"Long Tongue Eastwood" is "Ghirahim".

The thing about your point about Skull Kid losing steam during the Smash 4 days is that that's exactly the time when people should have been voting for him.
I wanted Midna as a new Zelda rep. Unfortunately it didn't come to pass. Until BoTW I wasn't huge on Zelda but I did play WW and TP, with a bit of 2D ones but never fully beat them. I don't have the same nostalgia for Skull Kid like others do.

Speaking of a Zelda rep I'd think would be neat...Tetra. gimme a pirate moveset.
Oh yeah! Midna and Tetra! *adds them to the Zelda Want Dilution list*

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

View attachment 158886
It's the fabled Smash Mansion, where the characters all stay when they're not beating the crap out of each other.
Inkling's room is a mess, K Rool keeps raiding DK's mini fridge, and Ridley has to sleep in the yard because his room's too small.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I want Steve on the basis that he could bring something unique to the roster no other character can - terraforming. As in, literally changing the stage layout, even just a little bit, to give him the advantage and his opponents a disadvantage. I can't think of any other [well-known and popular] character that could provide that sort of playstyle.

The "design doesn't fit Smash" argument, imo, is stupid. I mean, this is the same series where we could have metal Snake, raccoon Samus, giant Kirby, and Mr. Game & Watch with bunny ears on PAC-LAND.

We've passed the point of no return. This is not a valid argument.
I don't really have an opinion on Steve but I don't know how well that mechanic would work in smash. What would prevent him from knocking his opponent off and then building a wall on the edge of the stage?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Hi guys. Just found this thread, hope this hasn't been bought up before.
Who are the "feasible" third parties that could appear in Ultimate? (I'm sure this is super subjective, just curious as to the general consensus)
From what I see, it's Geno, Banjo-Kazooie, Rayman, and maybe Crash Bandicoot (though I'd love to see Jack Frost).
What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom