• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Thanks for answering, Shishœ. :grin:

People need to remember that Skull Kid is not necessarily a lock, especially if Sakurai is pulling mainly from the ballot for Smash Ultimate.

With the fact that Skull Kid already existed in Smash 4 (disconfirmation of playability affected a lot of character voting back then), and the fact that Zelda wants are very, very diluted (the return of Young Link from Melee; Skull Kid, Midna, Tetra, Impa, Ghirahim, Hilda, Vaati, MM Young Link, Groose, Pig Ganon, Lana, HW Impa, Toon Zelda), how many people actually voted for him?
I'd imagine it'd be somthing similar to Cloud in 4, a ton of Zelda characters did well on the ballot and SK was at the top.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I have a question for people who have been part of the Smash Speculation scene for a long time (especially on both this and other sites).

How strong was the general buzz around Skull Kid during the Brawl and Sm4sh days, compared to other characters?

I'm especially interested in the Sm4sh days, because people seem to think Skull Kid is likely now, but if Sakurai is pulling from the Smash Ballot, was he actually even voted for in large numbers in 2015/16?

I don't mean to come off as saying "Skull Kid is impossible" or anything, or like I'm hating on the character; I'm just interested in what his fan demand actually was back when fan demand mattered the most.
He was definitely popular, but he was competing with the other Zelda candidates like Midna and Ghirahim as mentioned before, and I'd argue that those two were above him at the time. Midna had a strong fanbase due to how beloved she is in TP and it was pretty maintained despite that game not being the most recent at the time, and Ghirahim was well liked in SS and that was the title at the forefront going into Smash 4 (and thus he had relevancy as a perk).

In terms of DLC he wasn't as talked about thanks to being an AT, but he did have the Majora's Mask remake that came out a couple months before the ballot went up, and that did give him a boost in awareness.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Unique characters. I prefer quality over quantity. Not to mention those specific character picks aren't too shabby.

There's only a handful of clone fighters I'd be interested in, being James McCloud, Shadow, Impa, and Isabelle.

Another unpopular opinion, but I'd probably keep clone fighters bundled with their original. Makes the roster look less bloated.
I'd love to have James McCloud as an echo. I want to have James McCould, Boshi and Funky Kong so we can have "cooler" versions of characters with shades.

Also, do you have a smaller version of that Slippy icon? I wanted to add a Slippy icon to my wish list, but I couldn't find a small enough Slippy icon in the newcomer icon thread to fit.

KMDP

Smash Legend
no no no I was talking about Groose, the real villain of skyward sword (people were actually supporting him too)
A schoolyard bully, the foulest of villains.

I know people were supporting Groose, some of it wasn't even memeing. :laugh:

I don't really have an opinion on Steve but I don't know how well that mechanic would work in smash. What would prevent him from knocking his opponent off and then building a wall on the edge of the stage?
Being out of blocks could prevent him :)

I'm borderline rambling about this but Villager can knock you out and plant a tree on the ledge... that's pretty annoying (you can pass through it though).

Thing is Villager opened the way for strange construction/objects based characters but i don't think it means there will be more of those.

Anyway ... ramble ramble ramble. :p

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'd imagine it'd be somthing similar to Cloud in 4, a ton of Zelda characters did well on the ballot and SK was at the top.
Well; I'd say Young Link was probably on top out of Zelda characters (being a veteran and all).
He was definitely popular, but he was competing with the other Zelda candidates like Midna and Ghirahim as mentioned before, and I'd argue that those two were above him at the time. Midna had a strong fanbase due to how beloved she is in TP and it was pretty maintained despite that game not being the most recent at the time, and Ghirahim was well liked in SS and that was the title at the forefront going into Smash 4 (and thus he had relevancy as a perk).

In terms of DLC he wasn't as talked about thanks to being an AT, but he did have the Majora's Mask remake that came out a couple months before the ballot went up, and that did give him a boost in awareness.
There were like 13 other Zelda characters with whom Skull Kid was competing (some more or less so than others) back then, and now there are even more.

I'm worried this current Skull Kid hype train is starting to set people up for disappointment. It's sounding very similar to previous "this guy is in, no question" characters (Ridley before Smash 4, K. Rool before the end of Sm4sh DLC, Waluigi before this year's E3...)

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Speaking of echo fighters, how are y'all gonna handle them when you get the game? Are you gonna keep them separate, or are you gonna take advantage of the feature that lets you stack 'em with the character they're based on?

Personally, I'm gonna keep 'em separate. Makes the roster look more impressive, plus Chrom and Dark Samus have too many noticeable differences from their counterparts for me to just relegate them to glorified alts.
I'm keeping them separate. Was never fond of the idea of stacking em with their original counterparts, but I guess having the option to choose between the two is the best case scenario

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh, I found this from a while back

I know it won't happen but what Harmony of Hero's mixes would you like to see in the game?
Bach Rider is a fantastic Mach Rider remix, and far better than any official remix. :p

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Speaking of echo fighters, how are y'all gonna handle them when you get the game? Are you gonna keep them separate, or are you gonna take advantage of the feature that lets you stack 'em with the character they're based on?

Personally, I'm gonna keep 'em separate. Makes the roster look more impressive, plus Chrom and Dark Samus have too many noticeable differences from their counterparts for me to just relegate them to glorified alts.
Gonna keep them separate. The feature to stack them felt like a direct response to people who complained about clones busying up the roster. So we get the best of both worlds. Everyone's happy.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This "leak" gave me a good giggle:
View attachment 158880

• Super Mario party: ok…
• Reggie talking aobut Fortnite: lol no
• Warframe and realm royale: whatever…
• Super Mario bros U ported: Ok I guess…
• Overwatch: We just got Diablo 3 wtf…
• Diablo 3: we just got a trailer, why waste time in a direct showing it again?
• That list of indie games: Finally something good… but why not show all of that in the nindies direct we just got?…
• Pikmin 4: I wish
• Daeomon X Machina: don't care
• New super BABY mario bros: literally… what? lmao
• Sonic racing: i don't know if this is gonna be true or not at all at this point, but… don't care
• Pokemon let's go: safe as hell prediction
• FE Three houses: Ok I guess, not that interested in it myself tho
• Injustice 2 for Switch: I don't know if this is likely or not
• Punch Out: champions: I would be down for a new punch out game, but i don't know how likely are we getting one again…
• Skull kid, Black Knight, Geno:
– Skull kid: kinda something i've been reading over and over again, he is more than likely to happen anyways.
– Black knight: I guess it's possible too, hopefully so people can shut up about it already, lol.

– Geno KILLS WARIO:
View attachment 158884 WHY!? that's so out of character lmao he is not a bad as for killing someone like Wario… or would he? hahaha
Maybe "killing" Wario is reference to Booster? I dunno.

Unique characters. I prefer quality over quantity. Not to mention those specific character picks aren't too shabby.

There's only a handful of clone fighters I'd be interested in, being James McCloud, Shadow, Impa, and Isabelle.
A 'thug life' version of Fox, you bet it would be cool.

And Peppy could be the echo of James McCloud :p

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
Oh wow, really? I thought quality over quantity would be the most obvious choice, but it looks like I might actually be in the minority here.
Well imo the characters you picked weren’t quality (or at least aren’t what I want)

If you gave me the choice of 5 unique fighters of my choice or 15 echoes of my choice i’d pick the unique

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I wanted Midna as a new Zelda rep. Unfortunately it didn't come to pass. Until BoTW I wasn't huge on Zelda but I did play WW and TP, with a bit of 2D ones but never fully beat them. I don't have the same nostalgia for Skull Kid like others do.

Speaking of a Zelda rep I think would be neat...Tetra. gimme a pirate moveset.
Yaaaarrrrrgh! That'd be a boon for me it would, if she made it on board, give me the seafaring lass for Smash any day Sakurai, preferably not an echo, savvy?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yaaaarrrrrgh! That'd be a boon for me it would, if she made it on board, give me the seafaring lass for Smash any day Sakurai, preferably not an echo, savvy?
We need Syrup and Tetra to join K. Rool and Ridley for a Big, Pirate Jamboree

Pirates do love to party.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Being out of blocks could prevent him :)

I'm borderline rambling about this but Villager can knock you out and plant a tree on the ledge... that's pretty annoying (you can pass through it though).

Thing is Villager opened the way for strange construction/objects based characters but i don't think it means there will be more of those.

Anyway ... ramble ramble ramble. :p
If that's how Steve would work then I don't want him anywhere near smash. That would be beyond broken. Limited blocks is not nearly enough restrictions and building a wall on the ledge is completely different from villager's tree. To the point that it's just about as cheap and overpowered as I can imagine.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
We need Syrup and Tetra to join K. Rool and Ridley for a Big, Pirate Jamboree

Pirates do love to party.
I was questioning why you had Ridley in there and then I realized...Oh, space pirate. As a big Metroid fan I feel shame.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Gonna keep them separate. The feature to stack them felt like a direct response to people who complained about clones busying up the roster. So we get the best of both worlds. Everyone's happy.
Well...not everyone...we do age a thread where people are still and about echoes messing with the character debut pattern and find it disrespectful to stack them

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Couldn't James literally just be an alt?

I mean.... he's just Fox with shades...
He could. Even Fox's final smash makes sense on him. it's not like you see the characters in the Arwings aside from Fox and Peppy was on James' team anyway.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

Bundled...

Forget impressive, a large part of the roster is padded already (Pichu, YL, Dr. Mario) and we’re getting even more padding. I need to show how consice the roster is supposed to be.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Good grief, there's plenty of reasons not to want or expect Steve in Smash. There's that Steve himself isn't really that iconic, just that the game he's from is. Then there's that Steve is a Microsoft IP - even if there's Minecraft games on Nintendo consoles, I still see it as a huge stretch to put Steve himself in a first party Nintendo game.

But that his design "wouldn't fit in" makes no sense when we have a Solid Snake fighting Mr.Game&Watch on the freaking Pac-land stage. There's already plenty of conflicting styles in Smash. One could even argue that is a part of its charm.

We should be past that sort of argument by this point.
Whenever someone says steve won't fit in smash. I Always bring up Solid Snake and Game and Watch xD

Maybe "killing" Wario is reference to Booster? I dunno.
Would be great to have Wario in one of the reveal videos! I hope this is true (for Geno's supporters too).

Booster and Wario have similar traits though you could be right (if the leak is right... ). Except he have a scruffy beard instead of a scruffy moustache.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Speaking of Zelda I'm impressed how they pretty much represented most of the major games, when in the past it was just TP and WW with Toon Link. Although now we're lacking TP....Midna RIP.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
If anything that's why I would be happy with just getting Isabelle, rather than anyone else in that category of characters

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Speaking of Zelda I'm impressed how they pretty much represented most of the major games, when in the past it was just TP and WW with Toon Link. Although now we're lacking TP....Midna RIP.
Yeah. I was really wanting Midna in smash. Hey, at least she wasn't cut entirely.

Also, Waluigi's Taco Stand representation in Smash? Thoughts?

PF9

Smash Lord
Some characters as you know have alternate skins which work somewhat differently from regular palette swaps. They are not simple recolors of the character. I have termed these alternate skins "Costume Echo Fighters", or "Costume Echoes" for short, as they still play the exact same way as the default costume.

Here's a list of known "Costume Echoes"

Olimar: Alph
Male Robin: Female Robin
Male Corrin: Female Corrin
Female Wii Fit Trainer: Male Wii Fit Trainer
Female Inkling: Male Inkling
Male Pokemon Trainer: Female Pokemon Trainer
(Male) Pikachu: Cosplay Pikachu (female, wearing her Libre outfit)
Bowser Jr.: Koopalings
Little Mac: Wireframe Little Mac
Male Villager: Female Villager

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Couldn't James literally just be an alt?

I mean.... he's just Fox with shades...
Probably, but the bar is set pretty low for echoes with Dark Pit to be honest.
He could. Even Fox's final smash makes sense on him. it's not like you see the characters in the Arwings aside from Fox and Peppy was on James' team anyway.
I mean technically James should only have 2 other Arwings next to him since he only had that many when he was apart of star fox. But yeah the Koopalings can become shadow Mario and Alph uses the Hocotate ship so I doubt they would care.

Yeah an alt works for James, I just would love to James in any form since it would be so easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom