• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Some characters as you know have alternate skins which work somewhat differently from regular palette swaps. They are not simple recolors of the character. I have termed these alternate skins "Costume Echo Fighters", or "Costume Echoes" for short, as they still play the exact same way as the default costume.

Here's a list of known "Costume Echoes"

Olimar: Alph
Male Robin: Female Robin
Male Corrin: Female Corrin
Female Wii Fit Trainer: Male Wii Fit Trainer
Female Inkling: Male Inkling
Male Pokemon Trainer: Female Pokemon Trainer
(Male) Pikachu: Cosplay Pikachu (female, wearing her Libre outfit)
Bowser Jr.: Koopalings
Little Mac: Wireframe Little Mac
Male Villager: Female Villager
Or how about we skip the stupid lingo and just say:

Recolors are "colors"
New models are "costumes."

Noipoi

Howdy!
I wonder what the reaction would be if it turned out Isabelle was an entirely new character, and not just an Echo.
I think she's a little more likely as an echo, but i'd be fine with it.
Incineroar, Isabelle, Banjo and Geno are the remaining four characters I want, and lucky for me they all seem pretty likely :chuckle:!

Last edited:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I know I haven't been posting much lately, due to school and what not, but, finally, my boy Skull Kid is getting the appreciation he deserves. Guys, if this actually happens, I legit might cry. If both he and Geno get in, which seems somewhat feasible, I am dead serious when I say absolutely no Smash game could EVER top Ultimate for me personally. It's a hype time to be a Skull Kid fan, I'll tell you that much!

KMDP

Smash Legend
*checks like count*

Hmm? HMM!? *gasp*

Or how about we skip the stupid lingo and just say:

Recolors are "colors"
New models are "costumes."
And both "Colors" and "Costumes" are "Alts".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*checks like count*

Hmm? HMM!? *gasp*
I will forever be disappointed that ArcSys didn't add an Over 9000 intro animation when Base Vegeta and Nappa fight Base Goku.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I will forever be disappointed that ArcSys didn't add an Over 9000 intro animation when Base Vegeta and Nappa fight Base Goku.
Maybe in FighterZ 2... Hopefully...

I'm not really surprised at the lack of "Over 9000" in FighterZ, considering it's not really all that memetic or noteworthy in Japan (the actual Saiyan saga meme in Japan is Dead Yamcha, which is in FighterZ).

D

Deleted member

Maybe in FighterZ 2... Hopefully...

I'm not really surprised at the lack of "Over 9000" in FighterZ, considering it's not really all that memetic or noteworthy in Japan (the actual Saiyan saga meme in Japan is Dead Yamcha, which is in FighterZ).
It's not a meme or iconic in Japan.

Besides, Vegeta's Super Explosive Wave is always underappreciated.
I don't know my Japanese DBZ memes :p

Guess this kills any chance for an El Hermano color for Jiren when he inevitably shows up in season 2.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Not me. The DB community can get insufferable with memes. That was one of them. Though as a game packed with references I'm surprised it wasn't added.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Well, the idea of James McCloud seems to be more well-received than I thought. Neat.

I'd love to have James McCloud as an echo. I want to have James McCould, Boshi and Funky Kong so we can have "cooler" versions of characters with shades.

Also, do you have a smaller version of that Slippy icon? I wanted to add a Slippy icon to my wish list, but I couldn't find a small enough Slippy icon in the newcomer icon thread to fit.
Here you go. Got other Star Fox icons and smaller versions posted in the custom stock icons thread, if you or anyone else is interested.

Couldn't James literally just be an alt?

I mean.... he's just Fox with shades...
He could be, but I think he could actually work very well as a clone fighter.

As odd as it may sound, I could see James essentially being Melee Fox in modern Smash. He could have Melee Fox's animations, properties, etc. I don't think it'd be too difficult to differentiate them, either. Outfits are similar, but different, fur can be made darker for James, etc.

KMDP

Smash Legend
It's not a meme or iconic in Japan.

Besides, Vegeta's Super Explosive Wave is always underappreciated.
Vegeta's Super Explosive Wave is just his regular opening animation (which I must say is a great pick), Tougon is talking about the kind of thing that happens when you start matches like "Krillin vs. Nappa (no Yamcha) on the Canyon stage", "Goku vs Freeza (no Krillin) on Namek" and "Teen Gohan vs Perfect Cell (no #16) on the Cell Games arena".

Frankly, the lack of "Goku (Base) vs Vegeta (Base) on the Canyon stage" is a huge missed opportunity, since that is an iconic moment in the show.
I don't know my Japanese DBZ memes :p

Guess this kills any chance for an El Hermano color for Jiren when he inevitably shows up in season 2.
I think Broly is a meme in Japan as well? I think it's something like there are hilarious shouts and potential for Out-of-Context lines in Broly's first movie.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
"Alts" encompass costumes and palette swaps. They change the visual (and audial) appearance of characters without any changes to gameplay. Costumes have model differences like different hairstyles, body styles, equipment, etc. while palette swaps are simply the base model with different colors making them, you guessed it, palette swaps.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Just for fun, if you had to choose between having 5 unique characters in Issac, Geno, Banjo, Skull Kid and Bandana Dee, or 15 echo fighters of your choice what would you pick?
15 echoes.

Ken - Ryu
Akuma - Ryu
Shadow - Sonic
Metal Sonic - Sonic
Black Knight - Ike
Hector - Ike
Leon - Wolf
Funky Kong - Donkey Kong
Dixie Kong - Diddy (Wouldn't really like this but it's better than no Dixie)
Black Shadow - Captain Falcon
Ms Pac-Man - Pac-Man (duh)
Viridi - Palutena
Big Boss - Snake
Roll - Mega Man
Jeanne - Bayonetta

D

Deleted member

Frankly, the lack of "Goku (Base) vs Vegeta (Base) on the Canyon stage" is a huge missed opportunity, since that is an iconic moment in the show.
This one surprised me. I guess they just don't want or can't add special intro animations for the DLC characters. I don't recall Bardock, Broly, Zamasu, or Vegito getting anything special there. At least they all get dramatic finishes...kind of...Broly and Zamasu just get to lose twice.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, 10 days until we can start asking "is there a direct this week" without looking absolutely insatiable and insane. Only quite insane.

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
Might have heard this before but,

Loz18 is asking us what we've heard about the game. What is that guy even doing now? I hope it leads to something interesting.

KMDP

Smash Legend
This one surprised me. I guess they just don't want or can't add special intro animations for the DLC characters. I don't recall Bardock, Broly, Zamasu, or Vegito getting anything special there. At least they all get dramatic finishes...kind of...Broly and Zamasu just get to lose twice.
Now this one hurts me.

Why, ArcSYS, why?

There are quite a few moments missing from both the Dramatic Openers and Dramatic Finishes; like #18 breaking Vegeta's arm, the start of round 2 of Goku and Beerus' battle (when he loses the God power, they already proved they were willing to make 'pointless' character models with the other Gotenks forms and Super Saiyan 1 Gohan), Goku failing to Kamehameha Broly, Trunks raging against Goku Black.

The lack of a "Tournament of Destroyers" arena means there's no "Goku vs Hit" Dramatic Opener.

A Goku (Base) versus Piccolo Dramatic finish would have been neat too, for some OG Dragonball.

Anyway, this is getting wildly off-topic.

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
If I had to guess, Isabelle would be a semi-clone instead of an entirely new character. I mean, she should use Pocket. And she could drop a stack of paperwork on you instead of a bowling ball...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Why, ArcSYS, why?

There are quite a few moments missing from both the Dramatic Openers, and Dramatic Finishes; like #18 breaking Vegeta's arm, the start of round 2 of Goku and Beerus' battle (when he loses the God power, they already proved they were willing to make 'pointless' character models with the other Gotenks forms and Super Saiyan 1 Gohan), Goku failing to Kamehameha Broly, Trunks raging against Goku Black.

The lack of a "Tournament of Destroyers" arena means there's no "Goku vs Hit" Dramatic Opener.

A Goku (Base) versus Piccolo Dramatic finish would have been neat too, for some OG Dragonball.

Anyway, this is getting wildly off-topic.
Remember, they made a very specific base Goku model that had his new "Goku" emblem but his old "belt sash" that they used only for BARDOCK's dramatic finish where either he or Frieza wins.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Well, 10 days until we can start asking "is there a direct this week" without looking absolutely insatiable and insane. Only quite insane.
I can't wait until the next Nintendo Direct that everyone asked for while they were complaining about another Smash Direct, and then we get one and then people will complain that people kept asking about Smash and it overshadowed the rest of the Direct even if we get no Smash news.

Or alternatively we get a direct with a Smash reveal at some point in it, and then people complain that Smash overshadowed the rest of the stuff simply by having anything revealed.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Loz18 is asking us what we've heard about the game. What is that guy even doing now? I hope it leads to something interesting.
In the land of the blind, how do we know when we've found the one eyed man?

Or something like that.

D

Deleted member

Goku failing to Kamehameha Broly
Broly is not allowed to win, only lose in two different ways.

Is he finally done playing pretend?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom