• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
How would you even implement Steve? He has one attack movement and one movement where he draws his bow. He doesn’t kick, he doesn’t use his other hand, and his only weapons are sword and a bow.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
How would you even implement Steve? He has one attack movement and one movement where he draws his bow. He doesn’t kick, he doesn’t use his other hand, and his only weapons are sword and a bow.
I don't doubt Sakurai's ability to create a moveset. He could figure something out. I just don't think he should out of personal apathy towards Steve.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I don't doubt Sakurai's ability to create a moveset. He could figure something out. I just don't think he should out of personal apathy towards Steve.
It's also the fact that Sakurai tries to stay true to how they act in their home series, or at least seems a way they would act if they encountered such a situation. Steve has no expressions, damage animation, or jump animations..yet giving them to him also doesn't feel right..its weird..

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Remember, they made a very specific base Goku model that had his new "Goku" emblem but his old "belt sash" that they used only for BARDOCK's dramatic finish where either he or Frieza wins.
Seriously!? They made a Base Goku model for a split second scene that barely anybody would notice if the emblem and sash were wrong, but can't be bothered to make a Super Saiyan God Goku model for the Goku v. Beerus Dramatic finish and a potential Dramatic opener?
Broly is not allowed to win, only lose in two different ways.

Woulda been a cool Dramatic Opening...
In the land of the blind, how do we know when we've found the one eyed man?

Or something like that.
The saying is "In the Land of the Blind, the one-eyed man is King."

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
You know what would be the best part Goku in the roster? It would mean that, if someone ended up leaking the entire roster early, pretty much no one would believe it simply because it has Goku in it. Then the final roster would still be a surprise. Sakurai hates leaks, right? So he totally should add him.

I'm joking, in case it isn't clear.
This argument applies to, like, half the roster. Tons of characters have limited move animations in their base games but have their abilities further fleshed out in Smash Brothers. And some have movesets built from nothing.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
You know what would be the best part Goku in the roster? It would mean that, if someone ended up leaking the entire roster early, pretty much no one would believe it simply because it has Goku in it. Then the final roster would still be a surprise. Sakurai hates leaks, right? So he totally should add him.

I'm joking, in case it isn't clear.
This argument applies to, like, half the roster. Tons of characters have limited move animations in their base games but have their abilities further fleshed out in Smash Brothers. And some have movesets built from nothing.
Yeah but being a literal block limits you. He’d look unusual kicking or flying or anything like that. Plus he doesn’t have a personality to base his movements off of. I don’t really find him iconic either. Minecraft is, but everyone playing Minecraft had there own personal skin that they liked to use. Steve was just the default skin and if you used him you were considered a “noob”

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Steve works better as an assist to me. Apathy aside, placing blocks to obstruct a players path would be a pretty good assist.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
A delightfully devilish scheme if I ever heard one.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Can we please give the Goku discussion a break? It's easily becoming the new Ridley at this point

I'd still like to see Ultimate having a Championship mode in a way. Would make some things exciting even if we have someone trying to defend their title at a tournament

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Can we please give the Goku discussion a break? It's easily becoming the new Ridley at this point

I'd still like to see Ultimate having a Championship mode in a way. Would make some things exciting even if we have someone trying to defend their title at a tournament
All I'm asking for is an online tournament.

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
Gotta be honest idk what Loz18 is doing but he's acting strange. Vergeben however is laying low and saying a few things, like saying Ken is in, which is not surprising.

Btw, was his claim of a Kirby newcomer not being waddle dee and a pre-Sony character joining legit or was it someone faking it and passing it off as if it was Vergeben?

Have we ever found out why Dr. Mario is not considered an echo fighter? He's barely more different from Mario than Dark Pit is from Pit.
Down B... and Doc is slower/stronger. Can't think of any other.

Edit: Actually... i just checked:
  • Does not jump as high as Mario
    • Also has a lower air speed.
  • His Doctor Finale deals more damage than Mario's Mario Finale.
  • His Jab Combo deals more damage and knockback than Mario's.
  • Dr. Mario's Dr. Sheet doesn't stall him in the air like Mario's Cape does, and has less horizontal range.
  • Dr. Mario's Down throw has more knockback than Mario's, which allows for different followups.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Have we ever found out why Dr. Mario is not considered an echo fighter? He's barely more different from Mario than Dark Pit is from Pit.
Different weight, different physics, different speed, moves that Mario doesn't have. Yeaaaa he's far more different to Mario than Dark Pit is to Pit.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Well that's not true. Just watch his gameplay trailer for key differences.

Doc, Pichu, Roy, and Young Link all benefited from being clones that had contrasting differences to their parent moveset in Melee. Lucina and Dark Pit were far "lazier" clones compared to them.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Gotta be honest idk what Loz18 is doing but he's acting strange. Vergeben however is laying low and saying a few things, like saying Ken is in, which is not surprising.

Btw, was his claim of a Kirby newcomer not being waddle dee and a pre-Sony character joining legit or was it someone faking it and passing it off as if it was Vergeben?
I think that was a fake using Inspect Element to make it look like Verg posted it

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If I had to guess, Isabelle would be a semi-clone instead of an entirely new character. I mean, she should use Pocket. And she could drop a stack of paperwork on you instead of a bowling ball...
Those still sound like echo differences to me. Or at least a regular clone at best, like Dr. Mario was in Melee. Semi-clones all have completely different moves that aren't remotely similar beyond bare basic concept(like Ganondorf's Forward Air, moreso in Brawl, is an overhead punch instead of the Knee of Justice. Concept-wise, they'll both send the opponent flying far. Actually using the move has different angles they're sent flying and the Knee has a sweetspot that has a significantly stronger version).

What makes the papers super different from the Bowling Ball here? What makes the Pocket different from Villager's?

Roberk

Smash Champion
im for some reason hearing people saying there is a 4K switch leak? or something was this talk in here?
here is one example

if this is true i hope smash would get 4K ... i wonder how 4K smash would look like...
Nintendo said that the Switch wouldn't get any hardware revisions, so I doubt it. Considering we are still paying $300 for a console that runs games at 1080p/30fps or 720p/60fps, I couldn't imagine how much a jump to 4K would cost. The thing just came out last year for Pete's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom