• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I want Steve on the basis that he could bring something unique to the roster no other character can - terraforming. As in, literally changing the stage layout, even just a little bit, to give him the advantage and his opponents a disadvantage. I can't think of any other [well-known and popular] character that could provide that sort of playstyle.

The "design doesn't fit Smash" argument, imo, is stupid. I mean, this is the same series where we could have metal Snake, raccoon Samus, giant Kirby, and Mr. Game & Watch with bunny ears on PAC-LAND.

We've passed the point of no return. This is not a valid argument.

D

Deleted member

Just for fun, if you had to choose between having 5 unique characters in Issac, Geno, Banjo, Skull Kid and Bandana Dee, or 15 echo fighters of your choice what would you pick?
15 Echoes because I'm not a big fan of either of those(not that I wouldn't mind them but given the choice...)
My picks:
  1. Shadow(Sonic)
  2. Ken(Ryu)
  3. Jeanne(Bayonetta)
  4. Black Knight(Ike)
  5. Hector(also Ike)
  6. Celica(Robin)
  7. Ravio(Toon Link)
  8. Impa(Sheik)
  9. Black Shadow(Captain Falcon)
  10. Raiden(Snake)
  11. Dixie(Diddy even though I don't like it)
  12. Isabelle(Villager and same as above)
  13. Alph(Olimar pls sakurai)
  14. Hitmonchan(Little Mac)
  15. Octoling(Inkling)

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Minecraft, to me, seems like the type of series that doesn’t need a playable character.

If Steve from Minecraft iconic? Or is Minecraft iconic? There’s a distinction.

Not everything needs a playable character, and despite the obsession fans have with representing literally everything imaginable with a playable character, I don’t think Minecraft really needs more than a stage to be “properly represented”.

I don’t know what the obsession with everything being playable is, honestly.
Me neither, that's why i think minecraft's best chances are AT or Stage. Best chance imo is AT, like Shovel knight did.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I can see Minecraft getting an Assist Trophy, trophy, or stage, but a playable character? Probably not happening.​

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Minecraft, to me, seems like the type of series that doesn’t need a playable character.

Not everything needs a playable character, and despite the obsession fans have with representing literally everything imaginable with a playable character, I don’t think Minecraft really needs more than a stage to be “properly represented”.

I don’t know what the obsession with everything being playable is, honestly.
I mean, Steve is extremely marketable and appears in tons of Minecraft merch. That alone makes him pretty iconic, at least compared to some of the characters already in the Smash roster.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oh, I found this from a while back

I know it won't happen but what Harmony of Hero's mixes would you like to see in the game?

KMDP

Smash Legend
And Wario absolutely qualifies as a "bad guy", Smash itself even does so in Brawl's Co Op matches. I understand what you mean, but you're taking "Villain" a bit too literally. Wario constantly acts purely out of greed, heck, Gold just had him as a villain. He's not a hero, and when he is, it's either by complete happenstance or it's just because he wants something. Heck, you mention Hehachi, I'd say Wario is just as much a "villain" as he is. Hehachi HAS saved the world before.
To add on to your point about Wario, I'd like to remind people that Wario was definitely a villain in Super Mario Land 2, the first game he appeared in.

Not only that, but every "good" thing Wario does in the Wario Land games is motivated by selfishness/greed or is otherwise a result of convenience.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You'll never make me hate minorities! *jumps through window*

It includes Banjo, but it'd have to do. Also "Hallo I am Issac from Gold Son. Hug me Mattwo"
Come back here Gwen! Come back here and say the N-Word! There's a kid with cancer dying!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
To add on to your point about Wario, I'd like to remind people that Wario was definitely a villain in Super Mario Land 2, the first game he appeared in.

Not only that, but every "good" thing Wario does in the Wario Land games is motivated by selfishness/greed or a result of convenience.
Not to mention he goes full villain in WarioWare Gold, taking on a new Super Form to cheat at Microgames by scrambling the input warning.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
The Minecraft character is literally just a blank template, a husk with no personality or expression. Even the Miis are more of a character than them. I don't think that the Minecraft character is on the same level as the Villager, since the Villager has a personality, lots of expression, and a purpose (unless you go out of your way to avoid it).

I do think they can fight, but I wouldn't find it interesting to watch them fight, they are just so stiff.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I hope Isaac gets in so we can call all the off-model amiibos "Issac."
Only if someone has an incredibly offkey whistle remix of Golden Sun's battle theme
Oh, I found this from a while back

I know it won't happen but what Harmony of Hero's mixes would you like to see in the game?
It's the same group but Harmony of a Hunter but WHERE THE ACTUAL **** IS DARK SAMUS' THEME YOU CAN'T HAVE A RATHER MAJOR CHARACTER BECAUSE OF FAN DEMAND AND NOT INCLUDE THEIR ****ING THEME SONG

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Honestly, after seeing Cloud, Ridley and King K. Rool, I don't think I'm able to be surprised anymore. Seriously, they could announce Goku and I'd just be like "Huh. Neat." That's how bonkers this ride has been. I've went numb to the insanity.​

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Only if someone has an incredibly offkey whistle remix of Golden Sun's battle theme
It's the same group but Harmony of a Hunter but WHERE THE ACTUAL **** IS DARK SAMUS' THEME YOU CAN'T HAVE A RATHER MAJOR CHARACTER BECAUSE OF FAN DEMAND AND NOT INCLUDE THEIR ****ING THEME SONG
Oh, speaking of Metroid

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
THIS. The lack of Prime 2/3 music is already kind of sad, but skipping out of Dark Samus' theme all together is a big bummer.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
And Dark Pit was an antagonist the majority of the game, and is against Pit once again as of Smash U. Still very much a villain/antagonist. Eggman teams up with Sonic all the time, doesn't make him not a villain.
Alright, let’s see here...Dark Pit, AKA Pittoo, has done through tall of Uprising...
  • Beats up Pandora alongside Pit after being born and before kicking him and stealing her powers
  • Is a boss for one chapter and a mini for another
  • Doesn’t team up with any villains
  • Helped stop an Underworld mini boss
  • Helps break into the Chaos Vortex
  • Helps fight off Chaos Kin enemies
  • Alongside Pit, they do a Pre Boss Battle Rallying Cry
  • Helps fight the Chaos Kin
  • Repays Pit saving his life by fixing his burnt up wings at the Rewind Springs
  • Saves him from the body of Hades
  • Flies with Pit at the end of Uprising
  • Joins up with Viridi (who isn’t a villain)
  • Only wants to be a better fighter than Pit instead of his inferior, but also has the honor and respect to fight for the right reasons (like stopping Underworld baddies)
He’s more of a good guy than a villain/antagonist (like Vegeta only more calm and doesn’t do anything foolish)

Last edited:
Just for fun, if you had to choose between having 5 unique characters in Issac, Geno, Banjo, Skull Kid and Bandana Dee, or 15 echo fighters of your choice what would you pick?
Daaaaamn.... 15 Echo figthers... that's a fairly high number...

I would like the 15 echos!
1. Liquid Snake :ultsnake:
2. Shadow :ultsonic:
3. Ken :ultryu:
4. Impa :ultsheik:
5. Dixie :ultdiddy:
6. Funky :ultdk:
7. Ms Pacman :ultpacman:
8. Plusle/Minun :ultpichu:
9. Raichu :ultpikachu:
10. Protoman :ultmegaman:
11. Toon Ganondorf :ultganondorf:
12. Meta Ridley :ultridley:

... for the last 3... more Fire Emblem i guess...

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
Steve's status is undeniable - in less than a decade, Minecraft has become one of the highest grossing and best selling video games of all time, and it started as an Indie. I don't like to use the word "deserve" when it comes to Smash...but Minecraft definitely deserves the representation, moreso than Banjo and arguably Master Chief.

When I was in high school a few years ago, me and the 150+ guys in my graduating class had a massive Minecraft server. We all formed factions and warred against each other every day for months, and I know that a lot of people do the same. I played and loved the game for years, but I honestly can't tell if Steve would work or not. I understand why people don't want him in. He doesn't have many animations to draw from, and having him bend wouldn't be true to his character. In all honesty, that's the biggest roadblock I see to his inclusion. He's modern, iconic, and has a massive movepool to draw from. You could have him craft things mid-battle, or even just call him "Minecraft" and have his moves summon the mobs from the game. It's just his physical movements - that's the big problem in my eyes.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
The 5 unique characters. Out of the existing characters that don't already have an echo, I can't even scrape up 5 that I think have viable echo choices I'd be interested in. Banjo and Isaac are definitely more worth it.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I meann. If you can't imagine me deliberately exaggerating for funsies, that's on you.
If you're telling me that people aren't dead serious online 100% of the time, I'm gonna have to call you out on that lie. Of course, everyone is always stone-faced and totally serious every waking moment of their lives.​

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
While Steve may not become a fighter, The Creeper would make a great assist trophy. It’s also pretty recognizable (especially that god forsaken sizzle noise...) and it’s function would be obvious. Blow up every fighter around it!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
This "leak" gave me a good giggle:
Captura de pantalla 2018-08-20 a las 6.36.20 p.m..png

• Super Mario party: ok…
• Reggie talking aobut Fortnite: lol no
• Warframe and realm royale: whatever…
• Super Mario bros U ported: Ok I guess…
• Overwatch: We just got Diablo 3 wtf…
• Diablo 3: we just got a trailer, why waste time in a direct showing it again?
• That list of indie games: Finally something good… but why not show all of that in the nindies direct we just got?…
• Pikmin 4: I wish
• Daeomon X Machina: don't care
• New super BABY mario bros: literally… what? lmao
• Sonic racing: i don't know if this is gonna be true or not at all at this point, but… don't care
• Pokemon let's go: safe as hell prediction
• FE Three houses: Ok I guess, not that interested in it myself tho
• Injustice 2 for Switch: I don't know if this is likely or not
• Punch Out: champions: I would be down for a new punch out game, but i don't know how likely are we getting one again…
• Skull kid, Black Knight, Geno:
– Skull kid: kinda something i've been reading over and over again, he is more than likely to happen anyways.
– Black knight: I guess it's possible too, hopefully so people can shut up about it already, lol.

– Geno KILLS WARIO:
1534792788164.jpg
WHY!? that's so out of character lmao he is not a bad as for killing someone like Wario… or would he? hahaha

KMDP

Smash Legend
I have a question for people who have been part of the Smash Speculation scene for a long time (especially on both this and other sites).

How strong was the general buzz around Skull Kid during the Brawl and Sm4sh days, compared to other characters?

I'm especially interested in the Sm4sh days, because people seem to think Skull Kid is likely now, but if Sakurai is pulling from the Smash Ballot, was he actually even voted for in large numbers in 2015/16?

I don't mean to come off as saying "Skull Kid is impossible" or anything, or like I'm hating on the character; I'm just interested in what his fan demand actually was back when fan demand mattered the most.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Fifteen Echo Fighters! I love clones, and I love having choice. I can already think of a ton.​
Id go with the former simply because of Banjo. If you took him out I’m not crazy about the rest so easily the 15 echoes
15 Echoes because I'm not a big fan of either of those(not that I wouldn't mind them but given the choice...)
Oh wow, really? I thought quality over quantity would be the most obvious choice, but it looks like I might actually be in the minority here.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I meann. If you can't imagine me deliberately exaggerating for funsies, that's on you.
Well with your tendency to bring things down you don't like I doubt it really. That's all i'm saying.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Steve's status is undeniable - in less than a decade, Minecraft has become one of the highest grossing and best selling video games of all time, and it started as an Indie. I don't like to use the word "deserve" when it comes to Smash...but Minecraft definitely deserves the representation, moreso than Banjo and arguably Master Chief.

When I was in high school a few years ago, me and the 150+ guys in my graduating class had a massive Minecraft server. We all formed factions and warred against each other every day for months, and I know that a lot of people do the same. I played and loved the game for years, but I honestly can't tell if Steve would work or not. I understand why people don't want him in. He doesn't have many animations to draw from, and having him bend wouldn't be true to his character. In all honesty, that's the biggest roadblock I see to his inclusion. He's modern, iconic, and has a massive movepool to draw from. You could have him craft things mid-battle, or even just call him "Minecraft" and have his moves summon the mobs from the game. It's just his physical movements - that's the big problem in my eyes.
Frankly I can picture him moving around just fine. Just have him face at an angle like R.O.B. and make sure his limbs don't go swaying to far as he moves.

If you really wanted to though you could probably style him over the Minecraft: Story Mode series' artstyle.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Daaaaamn.... 15 Echo figthers... that's a fairly high number...

1. Liquid Snake :ultsnake:
2. Shadow :ultsonic:
3. Ken :ultryu:
4. Impa :ultsheik:
5. Dixie :ultdiddy:
6. Funky :ultdk:
7. Ms Pacman :ultpacman:
8. Plusle/Minun :ultpichu:
9. Raichu :ultpikachu:
10. Protoman :ultmegaman:
11. Toon Ganondorf :ultganondorf:
12. Meta Ridley :ultridley:

... for the last 3... more Fire Emblem i guess...
How about:
13. Louie/President: :ultolimar:

14. Black Knight: :ultike:

15. Boshi: :ultyoshi:

D

Deleted member

Oh wow, really? I thought quality over quantity would be the most obvious choice, but it looks like I might actually be in the minority here.
The goal is to have more characters than Tobal 2. Quality is irrelevant. /s

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Nope, for me is definitely Quality over Quantity, you're not alone buddy. I choose Unique over echoes.

Shroob

Sup?
View attachment 158880

• That list of indie games: Finally something good… but why not show all of that in the nindies direct we just got?…
• Sonic racing: i don't know if this is gonna be true or not at all at this point, but… don't care
• Punch Out: champions: I would be down for a new punch out game, but i don't know how likely are we getting one again…
– Skull kid: kinda something i've been reading over and over again, he is more than likely to happen anyways.
– Black knight: I guess it's possible too, hopefully so people can shut up about it already, lol.

– Geno KILLS WARIO:
View attachment 158884 WHY!? that's so out of character lmao he is not a bad as for killing someone like Wario… or would he? hahaha
I think the reference is that Wario looks like Booster.

Still fake tho.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
While Steve may not become a fighter, The Creeper would make a great assist trophy. It’s also pretty recognizable (especially that god forsaken sizzle noise...) and it’s function would be obvious. Blow up every fighter around it!
Also he'd be unique for a bomb as he only blows up when he gets close to someone and will stop himself if they get away. You have to be able to force him to commit, or trick him into blowing up next to your opponent.

Good point. Although the same could be said (and have been said a few times) about Villager. He himself is not very iconic (he doesn't even have a name) but the game is.

Now that Villager is in, that gives some hope for this kind of characters to get in as well. But i'm pretty sure it's not on Sakurai's plate to create a whole new breed of this kind. Villager could very well be the only one (that's fine by me btw).

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well with your tendency to bring things down you don't like I doubt it really. That's all i'm saying.
Suit yourself I guess. Have fun in Grumpville I guess
View attachment 158880

– Geno KILLS WARIO:
View attachment 158884 WHY!? that's so out of character lmao he is not a bad as for killing someone like Wario… or would he? hahaha
Maybe Wario would try to break off a piece of Star Road for profit?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Quality over Quantity is the better choice.

Quality with Quantity is even better. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom