• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because Minecraft is just a toxic wasteland when it comes to both it's game and community, and i think his design is just...so unfitting in a game like smash bros.

Is that really hard to understand?

There, happy?
Why getting so worked up about this? It's just specualtions and opinions... speculopinions as you could say (not really).

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Dream Palace, Ultra Warp Ride, Golden Sun stage, Bowser's Castle SMRPG, and a Rayman stage to go with my predictions.

Yeah, that's the one reason I'm glad Miiverse is dead. I don't know if I could handle looking back on most of my posts, let alone knowing that that cringy garbage could be digged up by someone.
I'm sad Miiverse is dead because I posted a lot of pictures there, and now I can't really access them anymore.

My favorites were the pictures of the custom stages I made.

And yet Sakurai added him (villager) who does "less stuff" than steve regardless… here we are…
Well, I mean. Duh.

AC is a Nintendo IP.
Minecraft is a Microsoft IP.

It's kind of a no brainer there. Doesn't really have anything to do with moveset potential.

Also, you have no way of knowing what a character's moveset would be before they get added to the game. Acting like you do is just arrogant.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I'd take 5 more FE echoes over Steve. I find him that unappealing, but that's just like, my opinion man.

If he made it in the game as a fighter I'd be like...why? But I'd get over it because one character won't ruin a game for me. I'd simply not play him.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Look how close Skull Kid and Banjo are! just 2 votes away!
I am surprised and pleased to see Doomguy, Travis Touchdown, and Dante on there.

I haven't played any Shantae or Chibi-Robo games, or much of Okami, (and I'm not familiar enough with Pokemon to know what other options there would be from the latest gen) but I'd be fine if most of the characters who got images in that list wound up on the roster.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't like Steve either but to pretend he wouldn't work and that Minecraft ism't ome of the most popular games of all time is stupid.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
My mother was a Smashboards you piece of **** I have a confirmed kill count higher than that Soviet sniper woman
That sounds badass somehow and I don't know why I read it with Frances McDormand's voice…
Maybe because of that super long threat phrase she spoke during Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri movie. I always laugh so hard at that part…

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Why getting so worked up about this? It's just specualtions and opinions... speculopinions as you could say (not really).
Sounds pretty toxic, sure you don't play minecraft yourself then ? :p

Okay, fine.

I'll admit, that i was being hateful. That i was wrong.

I guess i got worked up over the inclusion of a character that i don't find fits with the rest of the games that smash bros binds together.

I'm sorry.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Good grief, there's plenty of reasons not to want or expect Steve in Smash. There's that Steve himself isn't really that iconic, just that the game he's from is. Then there's that Steve is a Microsoft IP - even if there's Minecraft games on Nintendo consoles, I still see it as a huge stretch to put Steve himself in a first party Nintendo game.

But that his design "wouldn't fit in" makes no sense when we have a Solid Snake fighting Mr.Game&Watch on the freaking Pac-land stage. There's already plenty of conflicting styles in Smash. One could even argue that is a part of its charm.

We should be past that sort of argument by this point.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Steve? is easily one of my favorite choices. His design interests me a lot and I feel he'd make a great terrafarming choice.

Well, regardless, we'll find out soon. I still expect Minecraft content as is. I find him as playable a great option, though.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Good grief, there's plenty of reasons not to want or expect Steve in Smash. There's that Steve himself isn't really that iconic, just that the game he's from is. Then there's that Steve is a Microsoft IP - even if there's Minecraft games on Nintendo consoles, I still see it as a huge stretch to put Steve himself in a first party Nintendo game.

But that his design "wouldn't fit in" makes no sense when we have a Solid Snake fighting Mr.Game&Watch on the freaking Pac-land stage. There's already plenty of conflicting styles in Smash. One could even argue that is a part of its charm.

Let's not forget Ridley that has one of the more disturbing looking designs on the roster who can also wear bunny ears or a tanooki tail.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Shush.

You guys would greenlight ****ing everything wouldn't ya?
Of course not, you're just exaggerating.
On a unrelated note, I think Kitchen Sink for Smash is a great idea

Kitchen Sink cleans up the competition.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Of course not, you're just exaggerating.
On a unrelated note, I think Kitchen Sink for Smash is a great idea

Kitchen Sink cleans up the competition.
If Kitchen Sink isn't part of a tag team with Everything, it's no deal.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
to elaborate on my point on heihachi and Lloyd. I just want the focus on cult classic characters like k rool and ridley to continue over the standard big famous money maker characters until the game launches. People forget that while Sakurai seems to want the best for ultimate, he works for a bunch of corporate suits who don't give a **** about anything but money, and you could see this in motion with the Smash 4 DLC. Ryu was the only newcomer of the bunch to not feel forced. Sakurai said before smash 4 came out that the 3rd parties would all be good supplements to nintendo history, yet made cloud post launch. Did Sakurai change his mind? No, Nintendo told him to do that because DLC ain't a tribute to nintendo or whatever, it's money making, they were all strong/broken for the same reason, and while Smash is popular enough that Sakurai gets more freedom than most. He'll be back to the grind getting spanked by nintendo afterwards. Spring Man? Gotta support our struggling game sakurai move it move it. Rex? Big seller Sakurai get the **** on with it. If these characters actually align with if that character actually being a good fit for smash, that's just a bonus to Nintendo. Tekken and Tales are big enough games that they would sell, and it would be better for them to be added in that phase. A character like Issac who's remained in the hearts of long time smash fans would instantly be rejected by Nintendo for the DLC phase for predicted low individual sales. Many characters will have their chances die after release, and I think Sakurai knows to slip those guys in the base game before they get killed for good by souless suits.

TLDR: I don't have anything against these 2, but they're better suited to dlc

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Steve? is easily one of my favorite choices. His design interests me a lot and I feel he'd make a great terrafarming choice.

Well, regardless, we'll find out soon. I still expect Minecraft content as is. I find him as playable a great option, though.
Excuse me Mr. Tamer, but the mere thought of a blocky character like Steve in my video game crossover makes my hyperventilate. For such an awful and disgusting idea, I must insist that you sit in a corner and think about your actions on this fine evening. :troll:

EDIT: MS. Tamer. *nervous laughter*

Last edited:
Okay, fine.

I'll admit, that i was being hateful. That i was wrong.

I guess i got worked up over the inclusion of a character that i don't find fits with the rest of the games that smash bros binds together.

I'm sorry.
Takes guts and courage to do this. I salute you dear XenoWarriorX XenoWarriorX .

People could learn from that little post of yours.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I'd take 5 more FE echoes over Steve. I find him that unappealing, but that's just like, my opinion man.

If he made it in the game as a fighter I'd be like...why? But I'd get over it because one character won't ruin a game for me. I'd simply not play him.
I would set all the CPUs to Steve level one and kill them all over and over again and... okay I'm kidding. But yeah I dislike Steve a lot too

D

Deleted member

Why would people bother with a 4chan popularity poll when their top character has, like, not even 400 votes. That's a small as sample pool.
Oh cool, 4chan mostly likes stuff I'd like.

oh god 4chan mostly likes stuff I like
Come to the dark side, Gwen!

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Just for fun, if you had to choose between having 5 unique characters in Issac, Geno, Banjo, Skull Kid and Bandana Dee, or 15 echo fighters of your choice what would you pick?

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Just for fun, if you had to choose between having 5 unique characters in Issac, Geno, Banjo, Skull Kid and Bandana Dee, or 15 echo fighters of your choice what would you pick?
Fifteen Echo Fighters! I love clones, and I love having choice. I can already think of a ton.​

Last edited:

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
Id go with the former simply because of Banjo. If you took him out I’m not crazy about the rest so easily the 15 echoes

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion

i don't know man. Steve is pretty popular in japan. They do seem to love him. And sakurai has said that he does like the game. And hey, maybe he would make an assist trophy out of him if he really wanted to.

Didn't verge say Minecraft content was coming to smash? i could buy that if microsoft really wanted a cut of the smash money.

As for my reasoning, yeah, they sucked. And i do apologize for my overreaction.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Why would people bother with a 4chan popularity poll when their top character has, like, not even 400 votes. That's a small as sample pool.

Come to the dark side, Gwen!
You'll never make me hate minorities! *jumps through window*
It includes Banjo, but it'd have to do. Also "Hallo I am Issac from Gold Son. Hug me Mattwo"

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I wouldn't mind one or two more villains. While I strongly question some of those examples (Wario was only evil in his first game, Dark Pit joined the good guys in his only appearance, Meta Knight's usually on the side of good with his portrayal in Kirby Super Star being an issue with translation), K. Rool and Ridley are good choices, and Dark Samus is an added bonus.

I'd like to see at least one more villain, whether it's a third party example like Heihachi from Tekken, or another Nintendo one like Captain Syrup from Wario or Dark Matter/Marx from Kirby. (at least they're unambiguously evil, as opposed to Dedede, who's just greedy) Still, it's not like they're 100% necessary.
Tell that to Sakurai, he's the one who had Kirby and Meta Knight fighting it out in the art leading up to the reveal :V Though I do agree on MK being more neutral than anything.

And Wario absolutely qualifies as a "bad guy", Smash itself even does so in Brawl's Co Op matches. I understand what you mean, but you're taking "Villain" a bit too literally. Wario constantly acts purely out of greed, heck, Gold just had him as a villain. He's not a hero, and when he is, it's either by complete happenstance or it's just because he wants something. Heck, you mention Hehachi, I'd say Wario is just as much a "villain" as he is. Hehachi HAS saved the world before.

And Dark Pit was an antagonist the majority of the game, and is against Pit once again as of Smash U. Still very much a villain/antagonist. Eggman teams up with Sonic all the time, doesn't make him not a villain.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Minecraft, to me, seems like the type of series that doesn’t need a playable character.

If Steve from Minecraft iconic? Or is Minecraft iconic? There’s a distinction.

Not everything needs a playable character, and despite the obsession fans have with representing literally everything imaginable with a playable character, I don’t think Minecraft really needs more than a stage to be “properly represented”.

I don’t know what the obsession with everything being playable is, honestly.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The unique ones, easily. While there is a number of echo fighters I'd love to see - namely the Black Knight - I know that they are no substitute for fully unique newcomers. Those five characters you've listed, even if there's only one of them I actively want, would easily bring far more to the game then any amount of echo fighters ever could.

Good thing echo fighters don't really take up any "roster slots" and we don't actually have to worry about that sort of thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom