• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Another stage that would be legitimately good for Xenoblade Chronicles X would be Oblivia. It's honestly the best designed desert area I've yet to see in a video game, coming as someone from New Mexico. (So many games make the desert flat and sand and that's it. Xenoblade does not do this.)

View attachment 147304
For reference, compare this to this:
1.OrganMtns3.NewMexico.BobWickBLMCalifornia.jpg
As opposed to this:

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I think being able to hold items and grab characters is one of the weakest arguments I've heard against characters.

Like, we've had characters with no hands grabbing and holding stuff, and characters that walk on 4 legs grabbing items and characters. Heck, I'm pretty sure Sakurai could find a way to get Slime to grab stuff.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Just saying, but Smash just doesn't really care that much about items clipping.

Very, very obvious example: Pick up a Metal Blade as Duck Hunt.
You'd expect him to hold it like a frisbee... but it's angled straight up rather than forward, so it heavily clips through his snout, so much so that part of the blade is behind his nose.
Looks painful... ouch.

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
I don't think I can answer that first question without major spoilers, but in short... yes.

As far as support chains go, Corrin has to work pretty hard with some of them to build a relationship, ESPECIALLY Takumi, Saizo, and Hana, but I also think there's quite a bit of depth with Rinkah, Orochi, and Oboro.

Not to mention Azura.
Sorry if this is off-topic, but this prompted me to look up some of the support conversations, and I gotta say I am absolutely bewildered by this game's writing. Corrin and Hana's supports for example:
Hana apparently hates Corrin (at least initially) because his kidnapping deeply upset Sakura, as if Corrin somehow had any control over the situation. It's like saying "your kidnapping made my friend sad, so I'm going to blame you for your own kidnapping!" How does that make sense at all?

One winged Devil

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4499-5767-3965
Did anyone make a full moveset for Lyvanroc I like the idea of it being a fighter but i'm having problem imagining it due it being on all fours.

Minus the part with the items of course.

?????????????

Smash Master
Hana apparently hates Corrin (at least initially) because his kidnapping deeply upset Sakura, as if Corrin somehow had any control over the situation. It's like saying "your kidnapping made my friend sad, so I'm going to blame you for your own kidnapping!" How does that make sense at all?
Yeah, that's just kinda Hana's character. Very blunt, extreme, and hot-headed, even when it's ridiculous, ESPECIALLY when Sakura is involved. I actually don't think that portion is particularly well-written, but I just wanted to use it as an example of someone that doesn't immediately like Corrin.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Did anyone make a full moveset for Lyvanroc I like the idea of it being a fighter but i'm having problem imagining it due it being on all fours.

Minus the part with the items of course.
Also this, I'm having trouble generally visualising it as a fighter, like doing aerial attacks and the like while being a quadruped that doesn't have access to things like ivysaurs vines, it could maybe work but in my mind it doesn't look right lol

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Sorry if this is off-topic, but this prompted me to look up some of the support conversations, and I gotta say I am absolutely bewildered by this game's writing. Corrin and Hana's supports for example:
F Kana's... a basket case. The game treats her even younger than Sakura & Elise, so it somehow makes sense for her to have a childish understanding of complex situations.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
It's already been said before with regards to quadrapeds, but as a reminder, :ivysaur::4duckhunt:

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Listen, I'm just sayin' that all these issues with quadrapeds holding things would be fixed if there was someone riding on them.
Perhaps a small sassy orange haired imp?

?????????????

Smash Master
Listen, I'm just sayin' that all these issues with quadrapeds holding things would be fixed if there was someone riding on them.
Uh...

Hm...

...Midna riding Lycanroc would be pretty cool.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hmm...

I don't think Chuckie should ride Lycanroc. He'd probably swear too much.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Okay I see what you mean more now, just like a ****load of spinning and flipping attacks I guess lol, those kicks look weird as hell tho tbh
It still also has its Rock-type attacks, some of which could work kinda vaguely like Ammy's weapon attacks there.
(Personally, IDK if Lycanroc is the best option, but, really, I'm for seeing more quadruped fighters in Smash, so I might as well defend it, ahaha)

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I don't see how being a quadruped is an issue really, they could easily hold items n **** in their mouth. And even then, I highly doubt that's on top of Sakurai's agenda when selecting characters.
Also on the note of Duck Hunt, I think a really missed opportunity would have been to have the duck use items like the Super Scope and Home-Run Bat while the dog ducks to avoid friendly fire. That would be some hilarious **** right there.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Okay I see what you mean more now, just like a ****load of spinning and flipping attacks I guess lol, those kicks look weird as hell tho tbh
Ay don't disrespect Ammy.
She's cool alright?

Anyway, I don't think Ammy's an exactly fair comparison to Lycanrock to begin with since:
She's got 3 types of weapons (sword, disc, beads) to choose from which all have multiple different functions
She's got her brush-stroke spells
She can summon the three elements at will
She's the friggin goddess of the sun.

Lycanrock is a dog that can earthbend.
Less to work with sure, but still workable.
An easy way I can easily seeing all these complaints about him holding items would be to just substitute hands arms with floating pebbles to grab onto stuff.
It's not normal but for a dog that throws rocks at people it's about as normal as you're ever gonna get.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
It still also has its Rock-type attacks, some of which could work kinda vaguely like Ammy's weapon attacks there.
(Personally, IDK if Lycanroc is the best option, but, really, I'm for seeing more quadruped fighters in Smash, so I might as well defend it, ahaha)
Can we just bring back ivysaur? They were like really cool, that moveset is still dope

?????????????

Smash Master
Holy cats...my new video on Smash Bros. is the most viewed video I've had in years! I watched it jump from 800 to over 3,500 views just today!

You should commission that. For the Midna support thread.
I do know plenty of artists from previous commissions for my channel.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Ay don't disrespect Ammy.
She's cool alright?

Anyway, I don't think Ammy's an exactly fair comparison to Lycanrock to begin with since:
She's got 3 types of weapons (sword, disc, beads) to choose from which all have multiple different functions
She's got her brush-stroke spells
She can summon the three elements at will
She's the friggin goddess of the sun.

Lycanrock is a dog that can earthbend.
Less to work with sure, but still workable.
An easy way I can easily seeing all these complaints about him holding items would be to just substitute hands arms with floating pebbles to grab onto stuff.
It's not normal but for a dog that throws rocks at people it's about as normal as you're ever gonna get.
Point is, her basic button presses involve lots of lunging, leg swiping, rotations, & even a special directional full body dash.

Look at the Valkenhayn example for pure quadruped attacks.

Holy cats...my new video on Smash Bros. is the most viewed video I've had in years! I watched it jump from 800 to over 3,500 views just today!

I do know plenty of artists from previous commissions for my channel.
Your name rang bells for me from the old Roster Critiques you did years ago.

Last edited:

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
4 days left. the suspense is killing me. i need some smash bros news to cheer me up from my depression.

?????????????

Smash Master
Your name rang bells for me from the old Roster Critiques you did years ago.
Yeah...how did that start again?

Someone wanted me to critique their roster, and I asked if I could do it in video format just for fun. They were delighted, and people seemed to really like it, so I kept doing it!

But, as it went on, I eventually got a little bored...but, more than that...I started feeling self-conscious. Like I was forcing my own opinions upon others, creating an environment where my opinions were seen as superior, and in some cases, outright making fun of or belittling other people's opinions. I just decided I couldn't do it anymore.

...Lots of people still bring it up though.

Keep it up! All it takes it a few like that and you'll find your base starts growing exponentially.
Thanks! I was always worried I hit my "peak" back during SSB4 speculation.

...Which I started doing videos for in 2009.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion

Someone wanted me to critique their roster, and I asked if I could do it in video format just for fun. They were delighted, and people seemed to really like it, so I kept doing it!

But, as it went on, I eventually got a little bored...but, more than that...I started feeling self-conscious. Like I was forcing my own opinions upon others, creating an environment where my opinions were seen as superior, and in some cases, outright making fun of or belittling other people's opinions. I just decided I couldn't do it anymore.

I was always worried I hit my "peak" back during SSB4 speculation.

I'll have to check your channel out before E3. Its funny seeing posters here like Delzethin translate over to rather well-presented YouTube content.

Although I tend to be most active on my Twitter & Discord anyways.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah quadrupeds HAVE worked in fighting games. Even Nintendo-specific ones like:

(Speaking of Pokken, Sceptile when)

Frankly, I think deciding a character based on concerns as trivial as what items they can hold is dumb because honestly, that's the least of a dev's concerns when creating a character and could easily be handwaved with hundreds of ways. Smash is no stranger to dumb-looking animations to begin with.

Honestly, I'm wondering if they're even popular and important enough to even be considered in the first place.

Last edited:

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
I agree on the Rey hate being old and pahtetic, but Luke...always my biggest crush and childhood idol. /QUOTE]
Rey hate is so tired and boring. Especially when accompanied with Luke ****-sucking, but that’s another subject.
Not trying to drag this into OT or into any sort of drama or anything, but can someone explain this attitude to me? Why are people constantly given crap for criticizing Rey? She's a boring, poorly written character in my opinion. And no, it has nothing to do with her gender. I legitimately just don't like her character. Everywhere I go, there's this group of people who say stuff like this. Are people not allowed to not like these new Star Wars movies or something? I'm sorry, but those two posts sound like flat out elitism.
If someone hates a character you like, then so what? They're just as entitled to their opinion as you are. Why in the world that should bother anyone is beyond me.

Mini rant, over. I apologize if I'm misunderstanding both of you, but I just don't get why disliking a fictional character is somehow bad. If you like Rey, that's awesome, more power to you, but dismissing other people for not doing the same is really not cool.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
To anyone who desires Snake's return, I don't know if this is important or not, but Konami unofficially revealed that he is coming to Super Bomberman R later this year alongside other Konami stars.

I have a gut feeling that there's something special about to happen, but then again, what do I know? I'm just the guy who memes to keep everybody in a good mood.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Well because we got info that we're getting an infodump with items and modes, how about we speculate on those for a change? What I think is needed the most is a goddamn Breidablik
You're speaking my language! FE has too many awesome characters that it would be a shame to ignore it! I think the total cast size even swallows the National PokéDex by huge margins.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
To anyone who desires Snake's return, I don't know if this is important or not, but Konami unofficially revealed that he is coming to Super Bomberman R later this year alongside other Konami stars.

I have a gut feeling that there's something special about to happen, but then again, what do I know? I'm just the guy who memes to keep everybody in a good mood.
Pft, every Konami IPs getting on Bomberman R. Even Konami-forsaken IPs like Zone of the Enders. It's probably nothing and just more fanservice.

RustyRemains

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1666-4551-3124

Thanks! I was always worried I hit my "peak" back during SSB4 speculation.

Oh yeah dude, you're the person who introduced me to Little Mac in the first place and made him my most wanted character for Smash4 and now also one of my mains!

Good luck in the future

Last edited:

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
Well because we got info that we're getting an infodump with items and modes, how about we speculate on those for a change? What I think is needed the most is a goddamn Breidablik
I'm personally hoping for an all-star versus mode similar to what we got in PM. I like the idea of assembling a team of fighters and going up against other players' teams, Marvel-style.

?????????????

Smash Master
Oh yeah dude, you're the person who introduced me to Little Mac in the first place and made him my most wanted character for Smash4 and now also one of my mains!

Good luck in the future
Thank you!

Mac was always my most wanted Smash character, all the way back since Melee. Definitely geeked out when he was announced for Smash 4 and then went on to main him :chuckle:

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
I don't know if I'm late to the party, but the idea that a character can't get into Smash because they can't hold items is stupid. Here's how Lycanroc can hold items, through my crappy Photoshop jobs.

Small Items ~ In The Mouth
small things.png

He sticks them in his mouth. Duh. Dogs do that. They're dogs.

Big Items: Option #1 ~ Backpacking
crate.png

He puts the big thing on his back and lumbers around with it. If that doesn't work for you...

Big Items: Option #2 ~ Stone Hand
crate2.png

He creates a rock hand to hold the item for him. Done. He can hold items now.
If that still doesn't work for you, then just make him hold things like Duck Hunt Duo does:

Big Items: Option #3 ~ The Duck Hunt Dog Way
duckhunt.png

Now if anyone ever brings this up again, just link them this or something. Whatever. It's a weak argument that the way someone holds items is what prevents them in being in Smash.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
I don't know if I'm late to the party, but the idea that a character can't get into Smash because they can't hold items is stupid. Here's how Lycanroc can hold items, through my crappy Photoshop jobs.
It's the captions that really make this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom