• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Hell and blood, guys, Smash. Take the Star Wars stuff to PMs or Discord!

Unless for some bizarro effing reason ya'll wanna talk about the chances of Luke Skywalker in a platform fighter with Nintendo/video game all-stars...

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
If the people complaining about Star Wars talk would like to lead by example and contribute something at 1AM to 4AM in the continental United States in a thread that has the same 5 conversations looped on repeat every few days, by all means.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
The writing for Last Jedi isn't bad persay.

The direction of the writing is what is bad. They didn't go creative at all. They went lazy.

Instead of giving any sort of answers, even remotely creative ones to things set up by Abrams Force Awakens.

It just sort of goes ''Nah. Everything gets an anti-answer, because apparently this suddenly doesn't matter."

That is lazy as hell. No one is asking for you to make Rey, Luke's kid necessarily, but don't just go ''She's essentially no one."

I think it was actually a very good move and an important one at that, for Rey’s parents to be nobodies. Star Wars has become so wrapped up in lineage and Rey’s biggest internal conflict is that she doesn’t know who she is. Rey needs to develop her identity. It would defeat the purpose if her parents were anyone important because then she’d be defined through her lineage rather than her carving out a name for herself. You can see that even Rey wanted to be Luke’s daughter, and was devastated to hear that her parents were nobodies. She doesn’t want to have to confront herself, but this was a way to force her to do so and develop into her own woman/character/space magician :p

and do not hype up this guy Snoke and then just kill him off like it's nothing before he does anything really.

I thought it was such an awesome misdirection tbh. We’re led to believe that Snoke is someone super important and powerful, like a new emperor, but he was instead disposed of rather quickly so we could get to the more dynamic and deep villain in the story, Ren. Rian Johnson wanted to subvert expectations and did it by setting up the big space baddie behind the scenes that we’re used to, but ultimately tells us that this is a new era of Star Wars and big baddies with no character depth (the emperor in the original trilogy for instance) are no longer important.

Or tease a bigger role for Phasma and then throw her to her death.

That part was strange but I have a feeling that she’ll be back. I think it’s a build up to further define her character tbh. In the comics and books, she’s portrayed as a survivor willing to do anything for self-preservation. I wanted to see more of her too but I don’t think she’s dead.

The answer for everything that could've been developed was ''Do away with it."

I think that’s a major misconception. Remember that “let the past due, kill it if you have to” were the words of Kylo Ren. The film rejects killing the past entirely but instead urges us to learn from it, then move on. Yoda literally says the theme of the movie, “failure is the greatest teacher.”
I think theres a bit of a misunderstanding here that I keep seeing everywhere. I responded in the spoiler tag in yellow ^^

I said before that I believe that this film was a deconstruction of the entire Star Wars franchise, and by leaving us unsatisfied and with more questions than we went in with, I feel that the deconstruction was a success.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’m not one to crack the whip and demand everyone talk about Smash and only Smash and straying off from Smash Discussion is the death penalty but let’s do try to keep off-topic banter from dominating pages of discussion.

A little off-topic is ok here and there and is good for discussion.

Here’s something, I mentioned before if fifteen Smash characters were to get Halloween costumes for Halloween; what would they be? Something like what Capcom does for Street Fighter.

How about summer vacation themed costumes?

What if 10 characters were to get costumes modeled after summer themes? I’ll post my later.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I know I'm late but here's my Pokémon li- *image generator doesn't want to work on my computer*

*sigh* Fine, we'll do this the old fashioned way.

Ghost Type: Mismagius
Dark Type: Absol
Rock Type: Lycanroc honorable mention goes to Tyranitar
Fairy Type: Sylveon.
Psychic Type: Gardevoir honorable goes to Espeon
Normal Type: (Mega) Lopunny honorable mention goes to Eevee.
Ground Type: Flygon
Electric Type: Manectric
Bug Type: Scizor
Dragon Type: Garchomp, honorable mention goes to (Mega) Altaria
Fire Type: Blaziken honorable mention goes to Arcanine, Ninetails, all other fire starters (Charizard, Typhlosion, Infernape, Delphox, and Incineroar, oh and I guess Emboar too since it's bacon that cooks itself) XD
Steel Type: Skarmory.
Grass Type: Septile honorable mention goes to Leafeon
Water Type: Greninja honorable mention goes to Vaporeon
Ice Type: Lapras
Fighting Type: Lucario
Flying Type: Staraptor
Poison Type: Toxicroak

One winged Devil

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4499-5767-3965
I’m not one to crack the whip and demand everyone talk about Smash and only Smash and straying off from Smash Discussion is the death penalty but let’s do try to keep off-topic banter from dominating pages of discussion.

Here’s something, I mentioned before if fifteen Smash characters were to get Halloween costumes for Halloween; what would they be? Something like what Capcom does for Street Fighter.

What if 10 characters were to get costumes modeled after summer themes? I’ll post my later.
I would like to see a King Kong alt for DK and Gamera skin for Bowser.

Eh summer skins sounds like a bad idea imo.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Pumpkin Yarn Yoshi

Edit: Also Watermelon Yarn Yoshi

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
It's crazy that we are just mere 4 days away from Nintendo's E3 conference; it was a long and slow run.
I can't wait!

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Ivysaur: Palm tree
Squirtle: Squad sunglasses
Ice Climbers: Diving suits
Mario: Sunshine outfit
Olimar: Beach ball helmet
Wii Fit Trainer: Lifeguard

That's all I have for now.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Rly don't blame the Star Wars talk since we're at that point we're so close yet so far of news so there isn't much to discuss

And about the Halloween costumes: I'd love to see that ridiculous Sonic costume from Sonic Adventure 2

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So to recap the costume idea...

Pumpkin Yoshi
Watermelon Yoshi
Yoob
Pirate Yoshi
Dino Rider Yoshi
Space Yoshi
Cowboy Yoshi
Wizard Yoshi
Chief Yoshi
Dry Yoshi (yes Nintendo, make it happen!!!)
Baby Yoshi from PM:TTYD

Anymore? I might have forgotten one or two Fire Emblem characters, but oh well

RustyRemains

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1666-4551-3124
If all of Little Mac's alts come back I'm hoping for the wireframe to change along with the rest out the outfit so they are not just all green, looks pretty bad with most of the wireframe alts

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Summer vacation themed?

Well Mario, Peach and the cast of Fire Emblem have those ready to go along with Shulk already having his swimwear in the game. I forget did Elma have swimwear in Xenoblade CX or was it cut out of the oddly prude translation?

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
Some costume ideas:

Mario - Referee, ala Punch Out!!

Link - ReDead mask/getup, MM inspired

Kirby - He’s definitely the Headless Horseman’s head

Pikachu - Maybe some Marill or Gorochu body paint

DK - Shackles. He’s just broken out of captivity!

Wario - An honest businessman, slicked hair and dapper

Pit - Pretty easy, he’d be a devil

Marth - Swashbuckler

Mega Man - Skull Man

Game and Watch - Just activate his 3D model

RustyRemains

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1666-4551-3124
Speaking of alts, not totally related to the themed ones but whatever.

Wouldn't it be cool to have an option where you can pick hues for certain parts of the skin yourself? Can't really see it happening honestly but it would make for some pretty interesting customisation possibilities

Last edited:

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Speaking of alts, not totally related to the themed ones but whatever.

Wouldn't it be cool to have an option where you can pick hues for certain parts of the skin yourself? Can't really see it happening honestly but I would be so down for that
You mean a color edit mode like in Ultra Street fighter II and some other fighting games? That'd be cool, and a pretty reasonable addition for this point in the series I'd think (actually you'd think they'd've done it in Smash 4 with the customization focus). I don't think I've ever seen one in a 3D game except ones with a full blown character creator (like Soul Calibur) though, so maybe it's a big pain to implement technically.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I know I'm late but here's my Pokémon li- *image generator doesn't want to work on my computer*

*sigh* Fine, we'll do this the old fashioned way.

Ghost Type: Mismagius
Dark Type: Absol
Rock Type: Lycanroc honorable mention goes to Tyranitar
Fairy Type: Sylveon.
Psychic Type: Gardevoir honorable goes to Espeon
Normal Type: (Mega) Lopunny honorable mention goes to Eevee.
Ground Type: Flygon
Electric Type: Manectric
Bug Type: Scizor
Dragon Type: Garchomp, honorable mention goes to (Mega) Altaria
Fire Type: Blaziken honorable mention goes to Arcanine, Ninetails, all other fire starters (Charizard, Typhlosion, Infernape, Delphox, and Incineroar, oh and I guess Emboar too since it's bacon that cooks itself) XD
Steel Type: Skarmory.
Grass Type: Septile honorable mention goes to Leafeon
Water Type: Greninja honorable mention goes to Vaporeon
Ice Type: Lapras
Fighting Type: Lucario
Flying Type: Staraptor
Poison Type: Toxicroak
I also got mad FOMO of that so here's mine lol
Not including Ralts/Gardevior for Fairy/Psychic was hard, and not choosing Jiggs with her smash favouritism was also hard but Fairy Ninetails is just too glamourous. Also Absol missed out because I'm edgy AF and love a lot of Dark/Ghost pokemon that overlapped so much.

Attachments

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
If we could turn every character into a dark-skinned character, would that make DK's light parts into the same color as his fur? If so, I am all for it. :p

I am a person who loves to unlock characters and would love to have a looot of characters to unlock, but I do not expect there to be many. But in the very least, I'd love to unlock alt costumes for characters. It would be neat enough. I really hope the DLC characters (Bayo and Cloud mostly) indicates that Sakurai is more up for alt costumes nowdays.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So to recap the costume idea...

Pumpkin Yoshi
Watermelon Yoshi
Yoob
Pirate Yoshi
Dino Rider Yoshi
Space Yoshi
Cowboy Yoshi
Wizard Yoshi
Chief Yoshi
Dry Yoshi (yes Nintendo, make it happen!!!)
Baby Yoshi from PM:TTYD

Anymore? I might have forgotten one or two Fire Emblem characters, but oh well
How about Yoshi dressing as various other Mario Dinos and dragons? Seeing him wear a little horn on his nose as a Rex outfit would be pretty cute

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
4 days left and still no massive leaks on Nintendo's part... I'm starting to think they stuffed all their leaks with Ridley. Cause, yknow, he is TOO BIG for any other leaks to make it past him. :troll:

Also, my favourite PKMN by type (sheesh I had a hard time selecting 1 per type, mostly because a lot of my favourites are Ghost) :
favorites.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom