• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I dunno about you, but there's a charm with Jigglypuff, Lucario, & Lycanroc in that they're not 'title' Pokémon & they still get tons of recognition for just being them.

Lycanroc is apparently one of Ash's prime partners in the anime.

Man I love opening up Character Map whenever I need to spell 'Pokémon'.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
If we do get Xenoblade Chronicles X as a stage somewhere, I am muting Black Tar, its skell remix, and anything

Anna's pretty much the Pikachu of Fire Emblem.

She's cute, she's everywhere, she's a staple of the franchise,
but ultimately, she's not all that important or controversial.

So yeah, I think everyone here at least likes her a little.
>Anna is the Pikachu of FE
What? Pikachu is the prime marketed character of the largest media franchise in the world, Anna is a secret character in an anime chess series a somewhat niche franchise that hasn't gained relatively much traction outside of Japan yet. Anna's more akin to Nurse Joy. A tertiary character that makes many appearances but isn't that important in any, and who is actually a bunch of different relatives that all look alike, huh.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
It's not just fantasy vs sci-fi, it's "linear story based" vs "open ended exploration based". I'd argue the type of game counts for something, and X is a very different kind of game from 1-2 even when you ignore any superficial or aesthetic elements. That's the thing; all of X's aesthetic differences contribute to it's structural differences. It's a game based on exploration, so you have characters who can run fast and leap high and drive robots to make exploring easier. You can approach almost any area from any angle, and tackle it with any number of builds, party members, strategies, what have you. You can swim to the 'final' continent of the game as soon as chapter 3 if you want. THAT's why I think an X character makes for a better addition. It doesn't appeal to the same people who would already like Shulk and all the music and settings XB1 brought to Smash. Things like different weapon choices, armor options, character design all contribute to that.
Very well said.

Noctilum stage would be better

although NLA makes the most sense, we have a lack of city stages anyway so I wouldn't be mad regardless
But consider the weather changes for Sylvalum.
Img_field02_shiro_03.jpg

I really hope Xenoblade X Switch port gets revealed at E3, I super want to play the game, but I almost never have my Wii U with me anymore.
Honestly. I'd happily double dip for X portably - it's perfect for Switch.
I still really hope we Get Xenoblade 2 content. Rex & Pyra, Leftherian Archipelago, Battle Theme 3, Morag Assist. I find it all more appealing than X. And I fear if they don't get in now, they won't get in at all. And the music!!! Mor Ardain is another must. Vs Rosa!! Counterattack!!! Vs Zeke!! So many good options!!
Honestly, I feel like there's a fantastic chance of us getting all of those as DLC even if Elma and XCX are the focus of the base game.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
>Anna is the Pikachu of FE
What? Pikachu is the prime marketed character of the largest media franchise in the world, Anna is a secret character in an anime chess series a somewhat niche franchise that hasn't gained relatively much traction outside of Japan yet. Anna's more akin to Nurse Joy. A tertiary character that makes many appearances but isn't that important in any, and who is actually a bunch of different relatives that all look alike, huh.
Yeah, my analogy was half baked.
My point is, everyone knows her, nobody exactly dislikes her.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
I dunno about you, but there's a charm with Jigglypuff, Lucario, & Lycanroc in that they're not 'title' Pokémon & they still get tons of recognition for just being them.

Lycanroc is apparently one of Ash's prime partners in the anime.

Man I love opening up Character Map whenever I need to spell 'Pokémon'.
Well, Jigglypuff and Lucario are well recognized also because they're big time veterans of the Smash franchise.

Buy an italian keyboard, they have è and é right next to the Enter button. :p

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
By saying that she's fine because people can beat her is being results-oriented, and that's never a good thing. Just because something happened to work out doesn't mean its optimal, or in this case, good design. If Bats Within only triggered on slightly-whiffed witch times, that's fine. That's cool. It's a special move in this case. The problem is that it's also attached to her air dodge, giving her a literal frame-1 airdodge, which is just flat-out terrible design. No character should be able to escape an otherwise guaranteed combo by pressing L or R. Like my last post said, there is a way to make Bats Within fine. But it's current state is just not good design. They need to, at bare minimum, remove the possibility of triggering it from the airdodge. Make it exclusively part of Witch Time or don't have it at all.
Well when it comes to air dodges, it was either Bats Within or Crow Within (which probably would’ve also given her an extra recovery due to the flight mechanic). There’s also the Panther and Snake Within techniques...which might’ve been worse

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Other than a taunt, when does it do that? Regardless, IT. DOESN'T. MATTER. IT. IS A. CARTOONY. GAME. IT. NEVER. MATTERED. BEFORE. AND. NEVER. WILL.
He does it in multiple attacks I believe, neutral B and down B I think are ones and it was never established in duck hunt that he didn't have the ability to stand on 2 legs. Regardless this doesn't apply to lycanroc since them standing on 2 legs would be completely out of character for it, that just wouldn't work.

Last edited:

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
I'd actually wager that there might be a few things from Xenoblade 2 in base Smash Switch, even if there's no character representative. In the Wii U version of Smash 4, there were a lot of things from DKC: Tropical Freeze, and there was only a 9 month gap between the two games.

The gap between XBC:2 and Smash Switch will probably be just as long, if not longer, so having some music or trophies from the former wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Another stage that would be legitimately good for Xenoblade Chronicles X would be Oblivia. It's honestly the best designed desert area I've yet to see in a video game, coming as someone from New Mexico. (So many games make the desert flat and sand and that's it. Xenoblade does not do this.)

obi1v_by_acetaris-d9jwj5p.jpg

?????????????

Smash Master
One thing about quadruped characters...

Not that I think they're impossible, but there's one matter in particular to think about in my opinion...

How they wield the hammer item.

Even if they hold it in their mouths, is it going to look okay for them to bob their head up and down that fast?

...Like I said, not a big problem; you just have to be creative. But it's always what my mind goes to.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
He does it in multiple attacks I believe, neutral B and down B I think are ones and it was never established in duck hunt that he didn't have the ability to stand on 2 legs. Regardless this doesn't apply to lycanroc since them standing on 2 legs would be completely out of character for it, that just wouldn't work.
OK. But here's the thing. It doesn't matter. Not to mention you're acting like Lycanroc being on all fours is part of it's personality. Christ this is as dumb as "PYRA'S BOOBS CANNOT BE SIZED DOWN THEY ARE INTEGRAL TO HER CHARACTER"

Roberk

Smash Champion
I'd actually wager that there might be a few things from Xenoblade 2 in base Smash Switch, even if there's no character representative. In the Wii U version of Smash 4, there were a lot of things from DKC: Tropical Freeze, and there was only a 9 month gap between the two games.

The gap between XBC:2 and Smash Switch will probably be just as long, if not longer, so having some music or trophies from the former wouldn't be too much of a stretch.
Wasn't the DK content in Wii U from Returns though?

?????????????

Smash Master
Another stage that would be legitimately good for Xenoblade Chronicles X would be Oblivia. It's honestly the best designed desert area I've yet to see in a video game, coming as someone from New Mexico. (So many games make the desert flat and sand and that's it. Xenoblade does not do this.)
I would like this post multiple times if I could. I developed this mindset that deserts are boring in video games, but Oblivia changed my mind. Plus, I think it has the best desert music since Gerudo Valley!

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Tropical freeze got 4 trophies and 2 songs, I'll be shocked if they don't stick a couple tracks on gaur plains and ask monolithsoft for the models to make a few trophies tbh

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I would like this post multiple times if I could. I developed this mindset that deserts are boring in video games, but Oblivia changed my mind. Plus, I think it has the best desert music since Gerudo Valley!
Really anything from XCX will make me happy, and I'm not hating on XC2, it's just less likely to have stuff from that game at launch...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If I had to make a guess, an XCX stage would entail going to small segments of each part of the overworld beginning and ending at NLA via riding on the back of Skells. Sometimes in mech form ,sometimes in car form.

?????????????

Smash Master
Oh, random tidbit: I love the Ma-non Ship theme from X. It may not be a "battle song," but I'd still want to hear it in Smash.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion

View attachment 147304
Are those joshua trees & chaparral? Research in motion!

The desert ruins in NieR Automata has some of the best dang desert music. Its a shame that soundtrack will be nowhere near Smash 5. :nervous:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
OK. But here's the thing. It doesn't matter. Not to mention you're acting like Lycanroc being on all fours is part of it's personality. Christ this is as dumb as "PYRA'S BOOBS CANNOT BE SIZED DOWN THEY ARE INTEGRAL TO HER CHARACTER"
Lycanroc being quadruped is a major part of it's design, they can't just have it stand on 2 legs because that makes no sense for it, it'd look very strange from a visual standpoint. If they really want him in they need to work around that so it doesn't look weird as all hell, someone brought up geokinesis which while kinda random beats having it stand on 2 legs if they really want him in.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
One thing about quadruped characters...

Not that I think they're impossible, but there's one matter in particular to think about in my opinion...

How they wield the hammer item.

Even if they hold it in their mouths, is it going to look okay for them to bob their head up and down that fast?

...Like I said, not a big problem; you just have to be creative. But it's always what my mind goes to.
Imo the hammer item already looks awkward in a lot of characters... in fact im pretty sure the whole point of the hammer is to look awkward. So personally wouldnt be a problem.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Lycanroc being quadruped is a major part of it's design, they can't just have it stand on 2 legs because that makes no sense for it, it'd look very strange from a visual standpoint. If they really want him in they need to work around that so it doesn't look weird as all hell, someone brought up geokinesis which while kinda random beats having it stand on 2 legs if they really want him in.
What's wrong with having it put stuff in it's mouth, something Ilm sure every character who goes on all fours does? NOTHING. That's what. Again, this is not an argument, it's being too lazy to actually admit you don't want it

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
What's wrong with having it put stuff in it's mouth, something Ilm sure every character who goes on all fours does? NOTHING. That's what. Again, this is not an argument, it's being too lazy to actually admit you don't want it
Yes I'm sure it'll be able to fit a massive crate in it's mouth, that'll look totally normal and not weird

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Right?? I had the exact same experience. And the music is so good.

Oh, random tidbit: I love the Ma-non Ship theme from X. It may not be a "battle song," but I'd still want to hear it in Smash.

I would like this post multiple times if I could. I love the Ma-non and their ship so much. (Insert joke about pizza here.)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yes I'm sure it'll be able to fit a massive crate in it's mouth, that'll look totally normal and not weird
I'm sure realism is appreciated in the gamewhere currry makes everyone breath actual fire, where people can double jump, etc. ALMOST LIKE IT'S A VIDEO GAME THAT DOESN'T HAVE TO USE REAL LIFE LOGIC. If your sense of belief would get shattered because of Lycanroc holding stuff in it's mouth, first of all don't worry it won't be playable, second, you've been putting too much 'realism' in video games

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Right?? I had the exact same experience. And the music is so good.

I would like this post multiple times if I could. I love the Ma-non and their ship so much. (Insert joke about pizza here.)
The theme for Oblivia gave me chills the first time I heard it. It's awesome.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
replace cat with crate... keep the sunglasses though.
I still think that'd look weird tbh, how would it even get the crate on it's back? how would it throw it? would running with a crate on it's back and not having it fall off not look weird?

I'm sure realism is appreciated in the gamewhere currry makes everyone breath actual fire, where people can double jump, etc. ALMOST LIKE IT'S A VIDEO GAME THAT DOESN'T HAVE TO USE REAL LIFE LOGIC. If your sense of belief would get shattered because of Lycanroc holding stuff in it's mouth, first of all don't worry it won't be playable, second, you've been putting too much 'realism' in video games
the animations still have to look good and be fluid, you can't exactly have lycanroc's face clipping into a crate so it could pick it up with it's mouth, that just wouldn't work sis

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
I still think that'd look weird tbh, how would it even get the crate on it's back? how would it throw it? would running with a crate on it's back and not having it fall off not look weird?
I was actually thinking about this.

Pick up: Flip the box upwards from the bottom with it's snout, then spread out it's legs as the box lands on it's back.
Throw: Stand on front legs, flipping back forward.
Run: ....doesn't have to. Only DK runs with crates.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, this is something Corrin actually does in Fates. They can partially turn parts of themselves draconic for certain attacks, or can transform into a full-blown dragon using a Dragonstone.

But you'd rather have someone completely manakete? Honestly, I think that'd be great if they had that as well; I think Tiki is the obvious choice.
My problem with the whole metamorphosis aspect stems from Fates. Translating it into Smash Brothers doesn't make it any less so.

"Behold, my dragon powers have awakened in the form of stalactite arms!"

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion

the animations still have to look good and be fluid, you can't exactly have lycanroc's face clipping into a crate so it could pick it up with it's mouth, that just wouldn't work sis
Ivysaur used its Vine Whips to hug the Crate over its back in Brawl.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

not sure if any character can run with a crate. they all enter a special heavy carry animation loop, and, sinsce is heavy, make it lower a little his back so it's sigthly curved and concave, and for throwing, make him push it with its back, giving it propulsion.

i dont know if lycanrock would be in, and i dont know if he is the best pokemon rep ever, but certainly "not being able to carry a box" isnt a good argument for its exclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom