• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Imagine a kid that's a competitive FFA player going into 1v1 for the first time.

(I HAD THE PICTURE IN HAND, BUT THE WEBSITE TELLS ME THAT I CANT DO IT DUE TO SERVER PROBLEMS WTF?!!!)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am Sorry once more. :(

:ultcorrinf: (Is hotter though :O)
yeah but her feet are probably pretty ****ing dirty from being barefoot all the goddamn time, and nobody wants any piece of a person with gross stanky feet

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Nintendo doesn't want you have too much fun now. It's gotta be on their terms, and their terms say that you think you want 1v1s, but what you really want is FFA items on Paper Mario! After all, isn't Smash so much more enjoyable with jank ATs and cheap 1-hit-kill item zoning strats with complete strangers on the internet?

Why do FFAs affect a competitive ranking system? Better yet, why does this game have no actual matchmaking?
See, I know what you're getting at, but that's the thing: FFA with items on high on ****ing Big Blue is fun. When I want to actually do that. With other people who actually want to do that. The whole purpose of a goddamn matchmaking system is to find other people who want to play the game type you want to.

Nintendo's approach in Ultimate is the same as a parent who says the kids staying over can do whatever they want to do but they have to include Jimmy, the kid no one remembers inviting who just wants to down B with Kirby all match every match.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
The fact that GSP seems to be what sets the flag for entering elite smash and that it isn't a consistent thing makes little sense to me. Why not make it based on win percentage to enter or something where you can't have it taken away from you because the average shifted? Why even let you fall out of it?

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
Nintendo doesn't want you have too much fun now. It's gotta be on their terms, and their terms say that you think you want 1v1s, but what you really want is FFA items on Paper Mario! After all, isn't Smash so much more enjoyable with jank ATs and cheap 1-hit-kill item zoning strats with complete strangers on the internet?

Why do FFAs affect a competitive ranking system? Better yet, why does this game have no actual matchmaking?
Because those things make the game fun and more level.

Speaking as someone who isn’t very good at Smash, no matter how much I practice, if i’m playing no items on a Final Destination stage, I loose. And it doesn’t feel like I even could have won. It feels like the attacks I throw out just don’t hit the other guy and then they get me into a combo I can’t get out of. AND I PLAY BAYONETTA! (And Sonic, Snake, Ryu, Cloud, and the Belmont’s) Like, for me, loosing in Smash isn’t fun, not because I’m loosing, but because it feels like there is no possible way to win. Like I’m pressing the buttons but my attacks just aren’t hitting you, but you’re pummeling me. I don’t even know.

But if I could get my playgroup to turn on items, it gives me an advantage. Mostly because I’m the only one there who actually knows how they work and the layouts of other stages. If you get me with items on a good stage, I’ll have you screaming “Snake! SNAKE! SNAAAAAAAAKE!”

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

See, I know what you're getting at, but that's the thing: FFA with items on high on ****ing Big Blue is fun. When I want to actually do that. With other people who actually want to do that. The whole purpose of a goddamn matchmaking system is to find other people who want to play the game type you want to.

Nintendo's approach in Ultimate is the same as a parent who says the kids staying over can do whatever they want to do but they have to include Jimmy, the kid no one remembers inviting who just wants to down B with Kirby all match every match.
Broke: Kirby down-b spam
Woke: Only using Falcon Punch to KO opponents

Pakky

Smash Hero

Chasing :ultdarksamus: as :ultkrool: on Paper Mario is suffering.

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Chasing :ultdarksamus: as :ultkrool: on Paper Mario is suffering.
Playing as :ultpit: on Palutena’s Temple and trying to commit a Smash Taunt while some jack*** is trying to hunt you down is even worse...fortunately a majority like to wait and brag about whomever is being talked about

D

Deleted member

If the game had good online matchmaking it'd be perfect. Sakurai purposefully messed it up to send a message, to remind us that everyone has flaws, and that we should all accept ourselves while striving to be better.

That, or it was poorly thought out.
I sometimes feel this way when thinking about how Splatoon 2 saves work.

Oh totally, I'm with you: It can be very fun, but I would prefer to do it when I want to do it. If I want to do some 1v1s, let me do some 1v1s, and if I want some FFAs, let me FFA.

Honestly, there should have been pre-established rules for each game-set with their own ranking systems. Which is how 90% of online games work.

Last edited by a moderator:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I kind of like the idea of the game giving players options for how they want to progress in the online; if you prefer either casual style or competitive style Smash, you can progress by doing what you find most fun. Of course, the main problem is that they’re mixed together when they really should be separate. (Do they even need *that* many options anyway, though? If you want obscure rulesets, making arenas is an option.)

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
turns out the real matchmaking was inside us all along
If only Nintendo used their stupid *** mobile app to let us Tinder swipe through potential matches.

"K. Rool items on... K. Rool items on... Cloud items on... Oo! A Sheik on Battlefield stages, no items!" Then you swipe right and wait for the sparks to fly.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I prefer fighting with the nutty stuff switched on, mostly because I play characters who work best on stages with platforms and there's less chances of Final Destination

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
The more discussion I see about it the more I feel good about having no desire to touch this game's miserable excuse for online without friends (and even then the arenas have their share of issues too).

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
If only Nintendo used their stupid *** mobile app to let us Tinder swipe through potential matches.

"K. Rool items on... K. Rool items on... Cloud items on... Oo! A Sheik on Battlefield stages, no items!" Then you swipe right and wait for the sparks to fly.
This would kinda Just lock Belmont players out of the game... I like it!

D

Deleted member

TBH I'm so glad that characters that were once jokes are viable now (except Little Mac)

Like in Sm4sh I used to laugh when I saw a Dedede online. Now, I shudder in fear of him and those goddamn spiky balls.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The best/worst thing about this GSP stuff with bad ruleset matchmaking is that if you just brought back For Fun and For Glory, people would be significantly less vocal
I was hoping they'd just fix "For Glory" to not be so pigeonholed into Omega stages only. But Ultimate's setup is so much ****ing worse.

What I don't understand, both for Quickplay and for Arenas, is why we can't switch our damn characters. In Quickplay, you aren't allowed to switch characters and fight the same opponent. In Arena, you aren't allowed to switch your character without losing your spot in line. And since there's no reliable communication method, you can't just say, "hold on, changing my character!". Someone just jumps into your spot OR starts the match before you can spectate.

It's like they want to punish you for wanting to use more than one character in a roster of 70+.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Tbh, 99% of the time I'm getting 1v1's, when that's my ruleset. Like, the match may be laggy, and they may be playing with 2 stocks or something, but it'll a 1v1. Yet there's still complaints about getting matched into FFA's. Maybe where you live affects this?

Either way, my biggest beef with Online in Smash remains the bizarre inability to change your character in between every match. Seriously, this was a basic function of online in the last game. Why is it gone here?

Apparently :ultgreninja:'d by staindgrey staindgrey . He understands.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
TBH I'm so glad that characters that were once jokes are viable now (except Little Mac)

Like in Sm4sh I used to laugh when I saw a Dedede online. Now, I shudder in fear of him and those goddamn spiky balls.
The good Little Macs are good. Don't underestimate them.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I complain about it but I actually enjoy this game's online more then Smash 4's. Most of the time I actually do get the matches I want with only small differences in rule sets and basically never with items. Generally I am also matched with people around my skill level far more frequently then I was with the Wii U version.

The occasional hazards off stage is extremely annoying when it happens though. I even ran into hazards on Electroplankton the other day.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
This would kinda Just lock Belmont players out of the game... I like it!
Reminds me of prepatch Mario Tennis Aces where Bowser Jr. players (Jr. was OP at the time) eventually found it nearly impossible to find matches since people could just decline them.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
I was hoping they'd just fix "For Glory" to not be so pigeonholed into Omega stages only. But Ultimate's setup is so much ****ing worse.

What I don't understand, both for Quickplay and for Arenas, is why we can't switch our damn characters. In Quickplay, you aren't allowed to switch characters and fight the same opponent. In Arena, you aren't allowed to switch your character without losing your spot in line. And since there's no reliable communication method, you can't just say, "hold on, changing my character!". Someone just jumps into your spot OR starts the match before you can spectate.

It's like they want to punish you for wanting to use more than one character in a roster of 70+.
Yeah, but gambling my gold away was nice too.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Reminds me of prepatch Mario Tennis Aces where Bowser Jr. players (Jr. was OP at the time) eventually found it nearly impossible to find matches since people could just decline them.
I'd love this feature in the game tbh. That way I could reject all these FFAs and item matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom