• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that Team Ninja is making yet another game for Nintendo, I'd be shocked if Ryu Hayabusa doesn't make it in as playable.
Don't anticipate him too much or he won't get in!

Remember what Reggie San said about DLC picks: ''[...] characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.''
:p

I just got home and man y'all got Joker can you just leave Geno alone I'm so tired of hearing some stuff about HE'S S O M I N O R every day about my son
I get it dude
I get it
Just equip Sassy Geno as your primary spirit and you'll sail through this just fine ;)

Iridium

Smash Hero
Uh, so Hanenbow's completely green color background (green screen) somehow makes it easy to do things like this.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Okay...

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Uh, so Hanenbow's completely green color background somehow makes it easy to do things like this.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Okay...
I know green screens are a thing in movie-making to facilitate CGI and other post-production edits, but is there just something about green backgrounds that makes them easier to overwrite? I'm really not sure how the "green screen" principle applies when nobody's physically filming anything and the backgrounds are files in a program rather than part of a recording studio...

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I know green screens are a thing in movie-making to facilitate CGI and other post-production edits, but is there just something about green backgrounds that makes them easier to overwrite? I'm really not sure how the "green screen" principle applies when nobody's physically filming anything and the backgrounds are files in a program rather than part of a recroding studio...
It's primarily because green is not a natural skin color or hair color for humans. Blue Screen can often be used for this reason as well when green needs to be visible.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I know green screens are a thing in movie-making to facilitate CGI and other post-production edits, but is there just something about green backgrounds that makes them easier to overwrite? I'm really not sure how the "green screen" principle applies when nobody's physically filming anything and the backgrounds are files in a program rather than part of a recroding studio...
You can chroma key any old color as far as I'm aware. Green is just easier in studios and stuff because it's hard to come by someone wearing/being something that particular tint of green

Blue screens and backdrops are also used a lot.

Any solid color, really. But those two are the best.

EDIT: Greninja'd

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
You can chroma key any old color as far as I'm aware. Green is just easier in studios and stuff because it's hard to come by someone wearing/being something that particular tint of green

Blue screens and backdrops are also used a lot.

Any solid color, really. But those two are the best.

EDIT: Greninja'd
^

Basically when editing it easier to extract a singlar color background from a image to create the transparency effect needed to display other objects behind the original objects without weird distortion effects of blending two video sources together.

D

Deleted member

It is if you're like me and envision the characters' reactions as you go along.
Ha ha, true, very true. I like to immerse myself in it as well. If the game tells me that Wario is supposed to be Weezing, then that's what I'm gonna see him as. They did a wonderful job creating matches that reference the Spirit's original game perfectly. They're also the very definition of fan service, as some of the battles and references are incredibly obscure.

...The Kyle Hyde battle. Hotel Dusk is the mother of all underrated games, and to see it acknowledged like this in a game as big as Smash just really got to me.

Thank you for this wonderful game, Mr. Sakurai. You really have created the Ultimate Smash Bros. At least, in my eyes he has. :p

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
That moment when the freezeframe on the last hit of a match is your character getting beaned by Peach/Daisy's side-B...

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
why is timed mode still in the game

why does nintendo think people still play timed mode

most importantly, why is it the default option
Not really a problem anymore with saved rulesets, no?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Suicune. Entei and Rakou's Spirit Battle takes place on Suzaku Castle with lava floors. This is a direct reference to the Johto region's burned tower, where the legendary beasts were resurrected by Ho-oh.

I appreciate this game.

Doodleman999

Smash Rookie
why is timed mode still in the game

why does nintendo think people still play timed mode

most importantly, why is it the default option
Timed mode is good when you're playing with people who are new to the game, since they can keep playing the whole time and don't lose all their stocks by sd'ing at the beginning then have to sit out the rest of the match

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Timed mode is good when you're playing with people who are new to the game, since they can keep playing the whole time and don't lose all their stocks by sd'ing at the beginning then have to sit out the rest of the match
I would say this is most likely the case, we have to remember that the community for Smash is very broad and starting with the most simple version of the game via time makes sense as a default for a general audience that may not mess with the specific rule sets.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Bit of a hot take: World of Light is the perfect balance between an Adventure and Story Mode, and really the only thing that they need is just more cutscenes and that's it. They've already written the story loosely, but there's still a story nonetheless.

Here's the problem. Unless if you're Mortal Kombat 9, fighting games never really had a good story mode. It seems that usually Japanese developers can't seem to get the "Story Mode in Fighting Games" aspect right. And while Subspace Emissary was definitely great, it was really only great because of the cutscenes. The platforming and side-scrolling are pretty unfortunate and doesn't really make it a "Smash-feeling" mode. The Great Maze already makes that case for itself.

World of Light's gameplay is what Subspace Emissary's gameplay should've been. They reference a lot of Nintendo/3rd party material and make creative uses out of their IPs and the main core gameplay. Like for example,
there's an entire HD recreation of the DK Island first maps from Donkey Kong Country. THAT was a HUGE shock to me and something that made me go "**** yes, Nintendo. That's that good ****".

I think if there was just a few more cutscenes or so, it'd achieve god-like status. Who knows, but that's generally how I feel about World of Light, pretty apathetic after past fighting game experiences, but overall enjoying the mode.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
The problem is that you get the ad costumes regardless if you didn't pick it, which is why people are upset
I know, it's how DLC Notifications work for some games.
I still sometimes get the DLC Shop notification sometimes when I start up Smash 3DS or Wii U.
Minor annoyance at best, but not something I'd get upset over.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
God, World of Light sucks. It's awful even relative to other fighting game stories. At least they have the courtesy to suck for a short amount of time.

And by GOD, whose idea was it to lock the MENU MUSIC behind this?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Bit of a hot take: World of Light is the perfect balance between an Adventure and Story Mode, and really the only thing that they need is just more cutscenes and that's it. They've already written the story loosely, but there's still a story nonetheless.

Here's the problem. Unless if you're Mortal Kombat 9, fighting games never really had a good story mode. It seems that usually Japanese developers can't seem to get the "Story Mode in Fighting Games" aspect right. And while Subspace Emissary was definitely great, it was really only great because of the cutscenes. The platforming and side-scrolling are pretty unfortunate and doesn't really make it a "Smash-feeling" mode. The Great Maze already makes that case for itself.

World of Light's gameplay is what Subspace Emissary's gameplay should've been. They reference a lot of Nintendo/3rd party material and make creative uses out of their IPs and the main core gameplay. Like for example,
there's an entire HD recreation of the DK Island first maps from Donkey Kong Country. THAT was a HUGE shock to me and something that made me go "**** yes, Nintendo. That's that good ****".

I think if there was just a few more cutscenes or so, it'd achieve god-like status. Who knows, but that's generally how I feel about World of Light, pretty apathetic after past fighting game experiences, but overall enjoying the mode.
I'd say the first few BlazBlue titles did it well too.
Oh I know, that was AMAZING! So was the Street Fighter II map.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
God, World of Light sucks. It's awful even relative to other fighting game stories. At least they have the courtesy to suck for a short amount of time.

And by GOD, whose idea was it to lock the MENU MUSIC behind this?
It has so many cool fights too. But the abundance of them and the frustrating ones don't really make up for it

Potato_

Smash Lord

Or Injustice, but that's also Netherrealm so yeah.

Yeah the gameplay is pretty much the best you can do to make it more varied. What would benefit it is fitting even more of those areas that reference certain series, and obviously cutscenes. If they ever do something like this again they could add some more modifiers and I would be more than content. Also they should probably make it shorter, and add a bit more characters closer to the beginning instead of all the way in the end. The latter half of the game is just stacked with characters, they probably could have spread them out a bit more.

Personal highlight though were the bosses, particularly in the later half of WoL. They had a good amount of moves so it felt almost as if I was fighting them in their home games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom