• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
i see a lot of folks around youtube and stuff saying that k. rool's overpowered, k. rool's broken, etc. etc. and i really really hope it's just people being unfamiliar with the game and he doesn't become the newest stigmatized character where everyone's just like "ughhh i'm sick of seeing this stupid busted character everywhere stop playing him ughhh"
i'll take back everything i've ever said and/or thought about bayonetta just please don't let it happen to my boy

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Isabelle makes life hard for heavies but I'm not so sure she can camp him as well as others like Bowser because of the janky **** he can do with the cannonball and crown

though isabelle can pocket crown and gimp k rool uuntil she loses a stock but dont tell isabelle mains we dont want them to be even stronger
"We"?

Sorry, if Isabelle turns out to be crazy good, I'm playing as her until Joker comes out. All hail to Shih Tzu Secretary!

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
i see a lot of folks around youtube and stuff saying that k. rool's overpowered, k. rool's broken, etc. etc. and i really really hope it's just people being unfamiliar with the game and he doesn't become the newest stigmatized character where everyone's just like "ughhh i'm sick of seeing this stupid busted character everywhere stop playing him ughhh"
i'll take back everything i've ever said and/or thought about bayonetta just please don't let it happen to my boy
The game’s only been out for a week. Anyone who complains about a character being broken this early should just practice more

osby

Smash Obsessed
I can't believe K.Rool got cursed by both Corrin AND Bayonetta.

D

Deleted member

He's not broken, he's more like Sm4sh Cloud in that he's hard and annoying to deal with but not impossible. He's not prepatch Bayo.

washyrose670

Smash Apprentice
Isabelle makes life hard for heavies but I'm not so sure she can camp him as well as others like Bowser because of the janky **** he can do with the cannonball and crown

though isabelle can pocket crown and gimp k rool uuntil she loses a stock but dont tell isabelle mains we dont want them to be even stronger
Isabelle is overwhelming. But I can’t stay mad at her. She does such a good job, yes she does. Plus she’s such a good girl, who’s a good girl, she is yes she is.

D

Deleted member

I personally think Isabelle wins the match up if she camps. Stages like Dream Land would fare well for her.
Isabelle so far is the only character besides Pikachu that I don't see any bad match ups for.
She has a learning curve I feel, but once you get over that I feel she's a really strong character. I feel like her recovery could be easily punished due to how slow it is, though.

Look at my sig. You've only made me stronger. >:3

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Trust me, there are definitely 4 or 5 characters better than K Rool.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I doubt many complaining about characters this early have even unlocked them all, or played every matchup for even one of them, especially not extensively enough to know how to counter characters effectively. It's just parroting.

meant to just say that his moves are fast, but K Rool is definitely not slow by any means
I mean... he's in the top 10 slowest characters in the game. I think that qualifies him as slow, the game is just really fast in general.

His moves are definitely pretty good though

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Trust me, there are definitely 4 or 5 characters better than K Rool.
Most definitely. As the meta develops and we see real tournament results, K. Rool is gonna come back down to upper-mid-tier, I feel like. He's just surprisingly good, and great for online, and it's skewing people's opinion of him.

I sincerely doubt we'll see many K. Rools in any top eights.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I can't believe K.Rool got cursed by both Corrin AND Bayonetta.
Wait. I missed something. What'd Corrin do to K. Rool?

Did he play Fates too?

washyrose670

Smash Apprentice
Most definitely. As the meta develops and we see real tournament results, K. Rool is gonna come back down to upper-mid-tier, I feel like. He's just surprisingly good, and great for online, and it's skewing people's opinion of him.

I sincerely doubt we'll see many K. Rools in any top eights.
I think people are getting a large sample size anyway because K Rool was such a huge fan service. He’s also top tier trollolol and any character who’s that way is frequented online.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Be happy you aren't a Pikachu main...
This is the second game where we have to deal with him being a bit overpowered...

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion

No, no we wouldn't *taking notes on how to topple heavies* *bell rings* Oh? What's that sound? Don't worry that... *evil grin* Isabelle.

D

Deleted member

He's got slower run speed than Dedede though and has the 16th slowest airspeed in the game. He's a lot of things but fast is not one of em lol
Um, I don't remember saying that. Did you misquote me by perchance?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Here's an interesting tidbit from the most recent Sakurai interview:

What was that about Smash Bros. not being a celebration of gaming as a whole?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Yeah, imagine a heavyweight with good mobility, great recovery, and moves with busted super armor! That sounds totally OP!

*Looks at Smash 4 tier list*
*Cries in Charizard*

...Look K.Rool seems good but his weaknesses are still pretty apparent, imo. His recovery is great but not imperfect since he's still vulnerable from the side, as I've proven by guarding him with Zard Bair. His super armor makes it difficult to trade with him but it still does nothing to save him from grabs and shields, so just be patient. Even his extremely annoying crown throw can be stolen and used against him with a good play, I've completely turned around a match by taking that from him before.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Yeah, imagine a heavyweight with good mobility, great recovery, and moves with busted super armor! That sounds totally OP!

*Looks at Smash 4 tier list*
*Cries in Charizard*

...Look K.Rool seems good but his weaknesses are still pretty apparent, imo. His recovery is great but not imperfect since he's still vulnerable from the side, as I've proven by guarding him with Zard Bair. His super armor makes it difficult to trade with him but it still does nothing to save him from grabs and shields, so just be patient. Even his extremely annoying crown throw can be stolen and used against him with a good play, I've completely turned around a match by taking that from him before.
Getting grabbed and shielded aren't weaknesses, because that can happen to any character. Using his crown against him is kind of negligible because he doesn't really rely on it since he has a bunch of really good approach options. Not to mention, his up-b is fairly fast and isn't THAT easy to punish off the side, especially since the top hitbox is fairly large.

Not saying he's broken at all, I still think the Belmonts, Pikachu, and Isabelle are better. But he's definitely lacking in weaknesses, and some of his stuff is kind of stupid.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Oh I strongly disagree. Unless he gets nerfs, he is an incredibly solid character with many many good things about him.
There's no reason people in a tourney won't play him
Oh, they'll play him alright. I just think at the very top level of competition there are too many players with faster characters that will outweigh his strengths.

Could be wrong, but that's what I'm thinking.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure the actual argument that only "Nintendo All-Stars" could get in has been dead since Cloud. Since then, I think most people with a Nintendo-only perspective treat it as what they personally want Smash to be, not what it actually has become. And it's hard to blame them considering the first two or three games were undoubtedly focused on Nintendo history, not gaming as a whole. Not everyone is going to embrace the new philosophy, even if the developers say that's how they view the series. So it's no use trying to "correct" anyone's opinions. Everyone is allowed to want Smash to be what they want it to be.
And let's be real, it's a celebration of all gaming history... with a massively extra emphasis on Nintendo and companies they feel like working with.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly he has one of the best recoveries in the game, and that's something that's very valuable in this game.
If anyone reading this is wondering who they can safely play offstage, :ultfox::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultvillager::ultyounglink::ultkrool::ultjigglypuff::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultpikachu::ultpichu: are pretty much it out of the whole cast. Everyone else has either bad or really punishable recovery.
How's Greninja's this time around? In Smash 4 I thought it was pretty nice.

Untouch

Smash Master
A lot of leaks happen through playtesting, does Nintendo source playtesters for DLC?
If not, it would explain why only cloud got (unofficially) leaked, and it was 1 day before his reveal.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
How's Greninja's this time around? In Smash 4 I thought it was pretty nice.
True facts: I don't remember ever playing against a Greninja in my short time with Smash For. None of my friends played him, and I never ran into him online. I don't even remember watching one in a broadcasted tournament.

I played against one in Quick Play yesterday and had NO earthly idea what he does. I got hit by everything.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
True facts: I don't remember ever playing against a Greninja in my short time with Smash For. None of my friends played him, and I never ran into him online. I don't even remember watching one in a broadcasted tournament.

I played against one in Quick Play yesterday and had NO earthly idea what he does. I got hit by everything.
Like a true ninja, Greninja relies a lot on stealth.

The opponent won't know how to fight you if they forget you're even in the game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Here's an interesting tidbit from the most recent Sakurai interview:

What was that about Smash Bros. not being a celebration of gaming as a whole?
But that's impossible! It's only ever been Nintendo All Stars! That's why Roy was added in Melee!

osby

Smash Obsessed
But that's impossible! It's only ever been Nintendo All Stars! That's why Roy was added in Melee!
Roy was an All-Star in Melee but he stopped being one after Fire Emblem got three fighters in Smash For. Simple.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Oh, I was talking about this on a Discord servee but Wolf? Wolf feels GREAT this game, I swear, his up air chains are the most satisfying up air chains I've encountered
I don't normally play spacies much, but my brother's considering switching his secondary from Fox to Wolf. He thinks he's incredible.

And also that Fox is garbage.

D

Deleted member

guess who just unlocked all the fighteres, mee and Browser Jr was my last one
mee is the mii fighter's distant cousin who went to prison for 3 years for vandalism and defecation on private property and their parents are cousins

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom