• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Getting grabbed and shielded aren't weaknesses, because that can happen to any character. Using his crown against him is kind of negligible because he doesn't really rely on it since he has a bunch of really good approach options. Not to mention, his up-b is fairly fast and isn't THAT easy to punish off the side, especially since the top hitbox is fairly large.

Not saying he's broken at all, I still think the Belmonts, Pikachu, and Isabelle are better. But he's definitely lacking in weaknesses, and some of his stuff is kind of stupid.
My point is that all of his "stupid" options have effective counterplays. No character likes being grabbed or shielded but K.Rool especially doesn't because he's dependant on his high commitment armor moves in a lot of situations. I personally think he might be upper mid but that all depends on how well people can exploit these weak points once they actually learn the match up, but from my experience K.Rool is susceptible to being punished hard for just one mistake.

I also want to remind people to never forget the time Bowser was "high tier".

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Oh Capcom, all the Capcom content in Ultimate make it seem like they're back on track and then they do this.....

View attachment 182709

Ads you would typically expect to only see in a freemium mobile game.
Okay...maybe its just me, but I really don't see the big deal..a lot of games have ads for their DLC, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS & Wii U did as well..its also just costumes that offer nothing to the gameplay except fun aesthetics (the more the merrier if you ask me, I love costumes).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Okay...maybe its just me, but I really don't see the big deal..a lot of games have ads for their DLC, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS & Wii U did as well..its also just costumes that offer nothing to the gameplay except fun aesthetics (the more the merrier if you ask me, I love costumes).
The problem is that you get the ad costumes regardless if you didn't pick it, which is why people are upset

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I also want to remind people to never forget the time Bowser was "high tier".
To be fair I always thought that was dumb.

But I see your point about K Rool, however I do think that punishing him isn't as easy as other heavies. His frame data is pretty fantastic for the most part. Like I said, not saying he's broken, but the super armor is nothing more than kind of stupid. Yes you can play around it, but to me, it's still pretty dumb to lose the ability to punish open weak points.

The Prankster 16

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5261-0723-0145
Sakurai had some interviews before the game was revealed.
He said he likes Persona 5. Who's our first DLC? Joker.
He said he likes Minecraft. Who might be rumored by Vergeben? Steve
Guess what another game he said he loves is?
Undertale

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
why did we just screech to a grinding halt
Thread ain't as active as it used to be.

It's like an old mining town at this point. We're trying to make it work, but at some point we'll just have to move to the city Nintenzone...

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So here's a question. If you could turn any Legendary Spirit into a playable character, who would you choose?

I'd pick Caeda.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I've spent some time writing up a list of all the Legend Rank Spirits I've gotten to Level 99, for use by others. I've sorted them by power.

All Primary Spirits get a 10% Power boost if you pair them with a Fighter who is from the same series. Naturally, some Spirits (like Isaac) can't get the boost because there aren't any characters from that series playable).
Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
Shield Type Spirit, Enhanced from Young Zelda [Advanced Rank]​
Base Power: 12,519 Power; 4154 Attack, 7227 Defence​
Same Series: 13,769 Power, 4569 Attack 7949 Defence​
“Assist Killer” Skill; Two Slots​
Obtain Young Zelda from the Spirit Board​
Zelda (The Wind Waker)
Shield Type Spirit, Enhanced from Tetra [Ace Rank]​
Base Power: 12,440 Power, 4844 Attack, 6165 Defence​
Same Series: 13,683 Power, 5328 Attack, 6781 Defence​
“Chance of Double Final Smash" Skill, Two Slots​
Obtain Tetra from the Spirit Board​
Hades (Final Form)
Shield Type Spirit, Enhanced from Hades [Ace Rank]​
Base Power: 12,274 Power, 7006 Attack, 4574 Defence​
Same Series: 13,501 Power, 7706 Attack, 5031 Defence​
“Trade-Off Attacks ↑” Skill; Two Slots​
Obtain Hades from the Spirit Board​
Lyn (Blade Lord)
Attack Type Spirit, Enhanced from Lyn [Ace Rank]​
Base Power: 12,115 Power, 6005 Attack, 4530 Defence​
Same Series: 13,326 Power, 6605 Attack, 4983 Defence​
“Critical Hit ↑↑” Skill; Two Slots​
Obtain Lyn from the Spirit Board​
Zero (Z-Saber)
Attack Type Spirit, Enhanced from Zero (Zero Buster) [Advanced Rank]​
Base Power: 12,026 Power, 6118 Attack, 4340 Defence​
Same Series: 13,228 Power, 6729 Attack, 4774 Defence​
“Weapon Attack & Move Speed ↑” Skill; Two Slots​
Obtain Zero from the Spirit Board​
Super Shadow
Attack Type Spirit, Enhanced from Shadow the Hedgehog [Ace Rank]​
Base Power: 11,954 Power, 5922 Attack, 5147 Defence​
Same Series: 13,149 Power, 6514 Attack, 5661 Defence​
“Undamaged Attack & Speed ↑” Skill; Two Slots​
Obtain Shadow from the Spirit Board​
Isaac (Dark Dawn)
Grab Type Spirit, Enhanced from Isaac [Ace Rank]​
Base Power: 11,672 Power, 6362 Attack, 4154 Defence​
“Energy Shot Attack/Resistance ↑” Skill; Three Slots​
Obtain Isaac by buying him from the Vault Store or Summoning him (requires Garet, Ivan and Mia)​
Baby Mario (Superstar Mario)
Neutral Type Spirit, Enhanced from Baby Mario [Ace Rank]​
Base Power: 11,388 Power, 5190 Attack, 4888 Defence​
Same Series: 12,526 Power, 5709 Attack, 5376 Defence​
“First-Strike Advantage" Skill; Three Slots​
Obtain Baby Mario from the Spirit Board​
Giratina (Origin Forme)
Neutral Type Spirit, Enhanced from Giratina (Altered Forme) [Ace Rank]​
Base Power: 11,367 Power, 5736 Attack, 4789 Defence​
Same Series: 12,502 Power, 6309 Attack, 5167 Defence​
“Shield Damage ↑” Skill; Three Slots​
Obtain Giratina from the Spirit Board​
Dyna Blade
Shield Type Spirit, Summon​
Base Power: 11,203 Power, 5813 Attack, 4756 Defence​
Same Series: 12,322 Power, 6394 Attack, 5231 Defence​
“Jump ↑” Skill; Two Slots​
Obtain Dyna Blade by Summoning it (requires Super Star, Beat, Cucco and a Shield Type)​
Wolf Link & Midna
Grab Type Spirit, Enhanced from Midna [Ace Rank]​
Base Power: 11,147 Power, 5258 Attack, 5258 Defence​
Same Series: 12,260 Power, 5783 Attack, 5783 Defence​
“Dash Attack ↑”; Three Slots​
Obtain Midna from the Spirit Board​
Beast Ganon
Attack Type, Enhanced from Ganondorf (Twilight Princess) [Ace Rank]​
Base Power: 10,876 Power, 6484 Attack, 3974 Defence​
Same Series: 11,963 Power, 7132 Attack, 4371 Defence​
“Impact Run Skill”; Three Slots​
Obtain Ganondorf (Twilight Princess) from the Spirit Board​
Dr. Eggman
Grab Type, Summon​
Base Power: 10,118 Power, 5537 Attack, 4009 Defence​
Same Series: 11,129 Power, 6090 Attack, 4409 Defence​
“Electric Attack ↑”​
Obtain Eggman by Summoning him (Dr. Crygor, Tamagon, Chansey and two Grab Types)​
Proto Man
Shield Type Spirit, Summon​
Base Power: 10,029 Power, 3711 Attack, 6318 Defence​
Same Series: 11,031 Power, 4082 Attack, 6949 Defence​
No Skill, Three Slots​
Obtain Proto Man by Summoning him (Dr. Light, Roll, 1 Shield Type)​
Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres
Attack Type Spirit, Spirit Battle​
Base Power: 10,019 Power, 5961 Attack, 4058 Defence​
Same Series: 11,020 Power, 6557 Attack, 4463 Defence​
No Skill, Three Slots​
Obtain Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres from the Spirit Board​
Here are some Legend Ranks (and Spirits that can be upgraded to Legend) that I've gotten but, not to Level 99. In no particular order (i.e. besides the enhancers, they're ordered by the level they are in my inventory, which is not reflective of their power).
Mother Brain (enhanceable) - Shield Type; Unknown Skill (if any); One Slot; obtained from the Spirit Board
Shaymin (Land Forme) (enhanceable) - Grab Type; Unknown Skill (if any); Three Slots; obtained from the Spirit Board
Xander - Attack Type; Sword Attack ↑; Three Slots; obtained by Summoning (Camilla, Leo and Elise)
Zygarde (Complete Forme) - Grab Type; Critical-Health Healing; Two Slots; obtained by enhancing Zygarde (50% Forme) [Novice Rank, Spirit Board]
James McCloud - Shield Type; No Skill; Three Slots; obtained from the World of Light
Raiden - Attack Type; No Skill; Two Slots; obtained by Summoning (Solidus Snake, Rosemary, 3 Attack Types and 1 Neutral Type)
Sukapon - Grab Type; Throw Power ↑; Two Slots; obtained from the Spirit Board
Queen Elincia - Shield Type; Additional Midair Jump; Two Slots; obtained by enhancing Elincia [Advanced Spirit, Spirit Board]
Paper Bowser (Paper Mario: Sticker Star) - Attack Type; Mouthful of Curry; Two Slots; obtained by enhancing Paper Bowser [Advanced Spirit, Spirit Board]
Empress Bulblax - Shield Type; Stats ↑↑ after Eating; Two Slots; obtained by enhancing Bulborb [Advanced Spirit, Spirit Board and Stores]
The Boss - Grab Type; Throw Power ↑; Three Slots; obtained from the World of Light
Dark Daroach - Attack Type; Fire & Explosion Attack ↑; Three Slots; obtained by enhancing Daroach [Summon (Count Cannoli, Mouser and 2 Neutral Types)
Kaptain K. Rool - Attack Type; No Skill; Two Slots; obtained from the Spirit Board
Geno - Attacker Type; No Skill; Three Slots; obtained from the World of Light or Summoning (Drake Redcrest, Super Star, 2 Attack Types and 1 Neutral Type)
Black Shadow - Shield Type; Speed ↑; Two Slots; obtained from the Spirit Board
M. Bison - Grab Type; PSI Attack ↑; Three Slots; obtained from the World of Light or Summoning (Vega, Sagat and Balrog)
Full Armor X - Grab Type; Super Armor; One Slot; obtained by enhancing X [Ace Spirit, Spirit Board]
Black Knight - Attack Type; Armor Knight Skill; Two Slots; enhanced from Zelgius [Ace Rank, Spirit Board]
Dixie Kong & Kiddy Kong - Grab Type; Thrown Items ↑; Three Slots; obtained by enhancing Dixie Kong [Summon (Tiny Kong and Candy Kong)]
Wario-Man - Attack Type; No Skill; Three Slots
Dark Matter - Attack Type; No Skill; Three Slots; obtained from the Spirit Board
Isaac easily.

Dude's one of the most egregious omissions at this point in my opinion.
Agreed.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Sakurai had some interviews before the game was revealed.
He said he likes Persona 5. Who's our first DLC? Joker.
He said he likes Minecraft. Who might be rumored by Vergeben? Steve
Guess what another game he said he loves is?
Undertale
But, my butt cheeks aren't ready for gaster blasters :(

Also my wife wore the hot-dog costume guys :D

Last edited:

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
For people asking how long the World of Light mode is: it's approximately 100 pages of the smash speculation thread long.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Given that Team Ninja is making yet another game for Nintendo, I'd be shocked if Ryu Hayabusa doesn't make it in as playable.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I feel like **** talking WoL again because the more I play it the less I'm into it. I really wish menu music selection was there by default so I didn't have to beat it. I really can't stand some of these fights. It's getting kind of monotonous.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
I feel like **** talking WoL again because the more I play it the less I'm into it. I really wish menu music selection was there by default so I didn't have to beat it. I really can't stand some of these fights. It's getting kind of monotonous.
As soon as I get around to it I'm gonna try and blast through it on Easy so I never have to touch it again.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Oh, right.

People wanted an unpopular/controversial opinion to spice up discussion last night, right?

Geno is about as important as Goombario or Lady Bow in the grand scheme of things, being a one-time party member that will never be used again. Piranha Plant is more marketable than he is. :4pacman: There never was a "Big-3".
I just got home and man y'all got Joker can you just leave Geno alone I'm so tired of hearing some stuff about HE'S S O M I N O R every day about my son
I get it dude
I get it

Last edited:

R O F L

Smash Ace
For me it's the opposite, I've been playing on hard and I'm loving it so far. Not sure how far I am into it though. Haven't fought any bosses yet, but I have access to two of them.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
K Rool might be in the top 5 best characters in this game. He's unbelievably busted.

Pros:
Heavy, literally lives until 200% in many instances
Fantastic recovery
Belly armor
Kills early
Fast movement speed, and fast moves in general
Really good range
Very little lag
Two meteors
Two strong projectiles
Good counter

Cons:
He's big
He's definitely very good, but his projectiles are very slow and have a pretty big telegraphed animation. While these slow projectiles usually work as a boon to him for trapping, that also means it's very easy to reflect or pocket them. Plus Villager/Isabele can pocket his crown and keep it for the entire game, making him literally unable to use one of his special moves. Isabele seems to be a really rough matchup for him as she can not only pocket his range moves, but can easily grab him with her fishing pole off stage because of his slow recover. Also, characters who have fast aerials should be able to ledge trump him and harass him off stage, since his only recovery move (while being protected from the top) is very slow and pretty easy to punish from either side or the bottom.

I think he does well against a majority of the cast so he's definitely a "high tier" at the moment, but I think he has some really bad matchups, and I bet in a few weeks he'll be seen as a "gatekeeper" for high tier after the aggressive players learn how to bait him into super armoring and breaking his belly. I really hope he doesn't get nerfs. He's GREAT, but we need a great heavy for once. We'll see in a few weeks if he's broken or just powerful.

D

Deleted member

Seeing the reactions to WoL be so mixed is making me kinda sad. I really like the mode and think the battles in it are very unique and interesting, and I like how it encourages you to play with different Spirits and craft different strategies for each fight. Gives it an RPG vibe that I absolutely love.

Ah well, to each their own.

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know if elite smash is based on your whole roster GSP?

Because I’m at over 1,000,000 with palutena(is that even that high? Idk)

But my roster is like around 600,000...

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
for those hating WoL, arenyou playing it non stop with no breaks or are you at least taking breaks. I like the mode and my guess is I take a few days away from it. Its something thats meant to be played in spurts

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
I got to the part in WoL

Where you play as Master Hand

and I had the biggest goofy smile on my face the whole time. They give you no warning or even hint that it's going to happen until it does, just "oh here's this thing we know you've always wanted to do but never thought you could. No biggie."

Still have to do the last fight, but so far the mode's given me everything I wanted and more. Dunno if we're going to get more spirits with the DLC but I really hope so.

So here's a question. If you could turn any Legendary Spirit into a playable character, who would you choose?

I'd pick Caeda.
Skull Kid. Literally the only big request I have left (along with Dee), I've gotten everything else otherwise.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Honestly, whether something appears good or bad right now is pretty irrelevant. Those on the higher end will narrow the game down the probably small portion of the roster is viable for those who play competitive. Probably the advantage of not having any intention of participating in the competitive scene. As long as I can play a character well enough to my own satisfaction I don't really need to care how the care plays at higher levels.

Seeing the reactions to WoL be so mixed is making me kinda sad. I really like the mode and think the battles in it are very unique and interesting, and I like how it encourages you to play with different Spirits and craft different strategies for each fight. Gives it an RPG vibe that I absolutely love.

Ah well, to each their own.
I think WoL by its very nature was going to be bit a bit polarizing for some. It was probably never going to be everyone's cup of tea. I had a great time with it personally but I also understand why someone would not enjoy it.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
for those hating WoL, arenyou playing it non stop with no breaks or are you at least taking breaks. I like the mode and my guess is I take a few days away from it. Its something thats meant to be played in spurts
if a 30 hour story mode is only fun for like an hour or 2 at a time then it's repetitive and monotonous. It's poor design.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
if a 30 hour story mode is only fun for like an hour or 2 at a time then it's repetitive and monotonous. It's poor design.
Strangely enough I didn't find it that monotonous or repetitive in general considering I entirely 100% the mode in first few days of release. I suppose it just comes down to what people consider enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom