• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It has so many cool fights too. But the abundance of them and the frustrating ones don't really make up for it
Every single boss fight was pretty damn cool, I'll admit.

But as cool as they were... holy ****, was slogging through that god-awful CPU fest not even close to worth it.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
Bit of a hot take: World of Light is the perfect balance between an Adventure and Story Mode, and really the only thing that they need is just more cutscenes and that's it. They've already written the story loosely, but there's still a story nonetheless.

Here's the problem. Unless if you're Mortal Kombat 9, fighting games never really had a good story mode. It seems that usually Japanese developers can't seem to get the "Story Mode in Fighting Games" aspect right. And while Subspace Emissary was definitely great, it was really only great because of the cutscenes. The platforming and side-scrolling are pretty unfortunate and doesn't really make it a "Smash-feeling" mode. The Great Maze already makes that case for itself.

World of Light's gameplay is what Subspace Emissary's gameplay should've been. They reference a lot of Nintendo/3rd party material and make creative uses out of their IPs and the main core gameplay. Like for example,
there's an entire HD recreation of the DK Island first maps from Donkey Kong Country. THAT was a HUGE shock to me and something that made me go "**** yes, Nintendo. That's that good ****".

I think if there was just a few more cutscenes or so, it'd achieve god-like status. Who knows, but that's generally how I feel about World of Light, pretty apathetic after past fighting game experiences, but overall enjoying the mode.
There are plenty of jp fighting games with good story modes, most better than the non-story of WoL.

LetterO

Smash Lord
If you guys have trouble with certain spirits being way too tough, check your team and make sure the opponent's team power doesn't overpower you by a bunch. You can also press Y to autopick Primary and Support spirits based on the matchup and the opponent's team power.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
If you guys have trouble with certain spirits being way too tough, check your team and make sure the opponent's team power doesn't overpower you by a bunch. You can also press Y to autopick Primary and Support spirits based on the matchup and the opponent's team power.
Alternatively, save 30 hours and don't even play WoL.
Just turn in game music off until Joker is released, and play trap music through a separate speaker in your home.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
why is timed mode still in the game

why does nintendo think people still play timed mode

most importantly, why is it the default option
I don't know about most people, but my friends and I use timed matches when more than 2 of us are playing, so no one feels left out when they lose all of their stocks.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Me playing WoL (which I beat recently btw): "Hahaha I love the reference they're making, Doctor Mario is Otacon lol"
Me fighting any spirit that requires equipping something to negate poisonous or lava or freezing or sleeping floors or w/e: *sighs audibly*

I liked the mode but plenty of battles' gimmicks were annoying. If they ever take another crack at this I'd like them to balance frustration with simple fun more carefully.

D

Deleted member

Or Injustice, but that's also Netherrealm so yeah.

Yeah the gameplay is pretty much the best you can do to make it more varied. What would benefit it is fitting even more of those areas that reference certain series, and obviously cutscenes. If they ever do something like this again they could add some more modifiers and I would be more than content. Also they should probably make it shorter, and add a bit more characters closer to the beginning instead of all the way in the end. The latter half of the game is just stacked with characters, they probably could have spread them out a bit more.

Personal highlight though were the bosses, particularly in the later half of WoL. They had a good amount of moves so it felt almost as if I was fighting them in their home games.
If anything, I have a feeling we're going to see an expansion upon World of Light or Spirits in some way for post-game content.

While Super Mario Odyssey is the outlier, practically a lot of big-title Nintendo games have had a big expansion in one way or another. We've seen it with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 with it's Torna: The Golden Country DLC, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, as divisive as it may be, with it's Champion's Ballad DLC, Splatoon 2's Octo-Expansion, the list goes on, really.

And even Nintendo themselves wants to bank hard on these evergreen titles getting post-launch content than ever before, so I don't think that simply just the Fighters Pass is all we're getting. We still got more content aside from the DLC Characters back in Smash For, with the Pirate Ship and Mario Maker stages, Mii Costumes, etc, so what's stopping Sakurai from adding more content onto other modes? Done it before, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I always thought it would be cool to have main menu / file select music from other games be available as the menu music in Smash. Like the fairy fountain theme from Zelda, or the Mario 2 character selection music. Maybe even have the game shuffle between them if you want as an option, since usually the menu music is fixed until you reset the console or something.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Because you reminded me, and I'm stuck in a loophole, here's a dumb method for quick finishes, if it isn't a challenge:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/a5k8jz
A bit situational, but yeah.

D

Deleted member

Man, I hate it when someone replaces all my confestti with bloof.

It's even worse when I run out of skorples so I have to use bipplesnaps instead.
The things I miss when I leave to play some online matches...

Tried 5 so far with background matchmaking. 3 out of 5 were what I actually wanted, and one of my 1v1s had items on.

Yeaaaaaahhhhh safe to say just forgo Elite Smash and all that jazz for now until they fix it IMO. Lobbies are way more reliable to get what you want, even if they are a little clunky.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I always thought it would be cool to have main menu / file select music from other games be available as the menu music in Smash. Like the fairy fountain theme from Zelda, or the Mario 2 character selection music. Maybe even have the game shuffle between them if you want as an option, since usually the menu music is fixed until you reset the console or something.
I would really love to hear the SF4 menu theme
Probably the most high-energy menu theme I've heard thus far.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Don't anticipate him too much or he won't get in!

Remember what Reggie San said about DLC picks: ''[...] characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.''
:p
I can't imagine many people anticipate him. People anticipate Banjo more. People are already anticipating some kind of representative from Microsoft. Heck, there's now a growing movement for Scorpion from Mortal Kombat.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I've been thinking about it today and I think the fighter pass will be 100% third party, but they will add some Nintendo characters (like maybe Sylux) once in a while in a similar way as Piranha Plant (free for a limited time) as advertisements for upcoming releases.

D

Deleted member

Also damn, we really are on the Geno Hate Train, huh. Skimming through this and it just makes me a bit sad. :/

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
>redeemed my gold points days ago
>still no code for one big planty boi

1491171618382.gif

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Hey SPEAKING of music, I know it's great that we can finally have all music from a game series play on any of the stages of that series, but carefully micromanaging all the music frequency for every Mario stage is torture considering there's a tooooooon of them. It would have been easier if there was a way to view the songs on a grid, instead of purely horizontal bars that take foreeeeeeeeeeeever to scroll through.

It's why the only stages whose music frequency I've adjusted are the third-party ones, and a few Nintendo ones with relatively less music like EarthBound, Pikmin, and Splatoon.

View attachment 182799
You might want to check your spam folder if you haven't already, that's where I got my code for Piranha Plant.

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Hey SPEAKING of music, I know it's great that we can finally have all music from a game series play on any of the stages of that series, but carefully micromanaging all the music frequency for every Mario stage is torture considering there's a tooooooon of them. It would have been easier if there was a way to view the songs on a grid, instead of purely horizontal bars that take foreeeeeeeeeeeever to scroll through.

It's why the only stages whose music frequency I've adjusted are the third-party ones, and a few Nintendo ones with relatively less music like EarthBound, Pikmin, and Splatoon.
I really hates how some music was on just a little by default. Made going through and changing it a pain in the ass

Noipoi

Howdy!

View attachment 182799
Is your email account a Gmail? If so. you might wanna check the spam folder. Gmail considers this stuff promotion, so you don't see it on the main screen usually. Sometimes it still gets through, though. My Piranha code was in my main email, so you might just have to wait a few more days like I did.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

You might want to check your spam folder if you haven't already, that's where I got my code for Piranha Plant.
I just wish I could set em all to zero so that they all have an equal chance of playing.

Seriously, who thought it was a good idea to make the default "PLAY THIS ONE, SONG... ONLY. MAKE THE OTHER SONGS ALL AT EXTREMELY RARE"

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Is your email account a Gmail? If so. you might wanna check the spam folder. Gmail considers this stuff promotion, so you don't see it on the main screen usually. Sometimes it still gets through, though. My Piranha code was in my main email, so you might just have to wait a few more days like I did.
I've been checked it man.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Oh man, you’re telling me.

I normally hate leaks, but the fact that all of the songs leaked gave me time to sort the music the way I wanted it. I play with all of my notes next to me so I can check them off as I unlock songs and then set them correctly.

Also, whose idea was it to not include a ‘set all to 0’ button? I get some people want the same song on multiple stages, but having to scroll through all 80+ Mario or General songs and set each from 1% to 0% across 16 stages is minorly irritating.

I’m about ready to finish Classic with everyone and actually get to playing rounds on all of these stages now that they all have the music set. I’m surprised that Classic has preset music.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I don't know about most people, but my friends and I use timed matches when more than 2 of us are playing, so no one feels left out when they lose all of their stocks.
Likewise

Timed matches are the go-to matches when playing casually imo

It prohibits matches from being too long or too short

D

Deleted member

Just beat Classic 9.9 with K. Rool without continues.

I would be more hype about it if it weren't for the fact his boss is incredibly easy to cheese with Blunderbuss, lol.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Oh man, you’re telling me.

I normally hate leaks, but the fact that all of the songs leaked gave me time to sort the music the way I wanted it. I play with all of my notes next to me so I can check them off as I unlock songs and then set them correctly.

Also, whose idea was it to not include a ‘set all to 0’ button? I get some people want the same song on multiple stages, but having to scroll through all 80+ Mario or General songs and set each from 1% to 0% across 16 stages is minorly irritating.

I’m about ready to finish Classic with everyone and actually get to playing rounds on all of these stages now that they all have the music set. I’m surprised that Classic has preset music.
I don't know if this is completely true, but I've heard that the game doesn't tell you if you've unlocked all the songs, so you have to know. Honestly not sure what to say about that, but if it is true. Sounds like an unnecessary change to add, if it was.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I don't know if this is completely true, but I've heard that the game doesn't tell you if you've unlocked all the songs, so you have to know. Honestly not sure what to say about that, but if it is true. Sounds like an unnecessary change.
Oof, thansk for the heads up. I know I still have more, but that really bites.

Another thing to be thankful that I got the leaked list from the Wiki

Noipoi

Howdy!
Just beat Classic 9.9 with K. Rool without continues.

I would be more hype about it if it weren't for the fact his boss is incredibly easy to cheese with Blunderbuss, lol.
I like how his credits theme is gangplank galleon. It's obvious now, but I didn't know each character had different songs play during the credits when I first did his classic mode. It felt really special because to me it solidified the fact that this isn't another remix for the DK series, this is K Rool's theme.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I don't know if this is completely true, but I've heard that the game doesn't tell you if you've unlocked all the songs, so you have to know. Honestly not sure what to say about that, but if it is true. Sounds like an unnecessary change to add, if it was.
do we have a list of unlockable songs? I want to know if I should go out of my way to get some of them

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So here's a question. If you could turn any Legendary Spirit into a playable character, who would you choose?
Is there a handy list of all the Legendary Spirits?
Isaac easily.

Dude's one of the most egregious omissions at this point in my opinion.
He's REALLY not. Like, seriously, nobody would even know who he was if he hadn't been an Assist Trophy for so long.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom