• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Do you think the bosses from Smash Bros Ultimate are better than Subspace Emissary?
What's your favorite? Explain why.
Last boss was better. My favorite is Dracula, though. But I feel like SSE bosses were more interesting, since they were a bit more mobile.

D

Deleted member

Anyone here enjoying K. Rool so far? He looks really good given the footage I've seen of him. One of the best heavyweights at least.
I love him! He's by far one of the best, if not the best heavy the series has ever seen IMO. The variety in his kit is staggering, and really makes him feel like a character that can do nearly everything.

Blunderbuss is a super good edge guarding tool. The crown is also insane, as it acts like a boomerang and has super high move priority. His counter also functions as a reflect which is nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Here a nice little game for everyone, how would your DLC picks be invited. Or, if you could chose how your 4 wanted DLC picks would be invite, how they be invited
Let's say...a mailman rolls up to Cerulean Gym (Or better yet, wherever Misty calls home) and deliberates whether to give her a new Nintendo console...or that familiar yet weird envelope. Misty runs into the mailman after work and eagerly decides on the funny envelope. The rest is history.

Shantae wasn't entitled to an invite because she started her Smash life NOT HAVING A FREAKING BODY. I'd imagine her trailer would involve Samus (And even Kirby) nearly destroyed along with a few other hapless duders, only for Shantae to step in unannounced and set everything right.

Bandana Waddle Dee would get his invite in a treasure chest one day while Star Allies footage was rolling.

Elma and her crew happen upon Mario and some other people, who are hunting treasure all of a sudden around Fallshorn Isle. They all agree to partner up, at which point Mario gifts Elma with her invitation.

washyrose670

Smash Apprentice
Here a nice little game for everyone, how would your DLC picks be invited. Or, if you could chose how your 4 wanted DLC picks would be invite, how they be invited.
Shantae would be invited by the genie spirit from Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero. Probably from her mother (splash screen: Shantae is Ret-2-Smash! *insert semi-obligatory rule36 joke*) while at the same time teasing another Shantae game.

Cooking Mama would be invited to cook for the newcomers for DLC pack 1 and offered to stay and compete after the meal. Splash screen: Cooking Mama preps for battle!

Viewtiful Joe and Sexy Sylvia will in bed watching the Joker and Cooking Mama reveals on their laptop then they’ll get an Evite. Splash screen: Viewtiful Joe and Sexy Sylvia pose for the camera! They’ll be palette swaps because I’m cheating.

Adeleine will be painting a portrait of the entire cast thus far but everyone won’t keep still except Peach and Zelda because they’re poised af. Adeleine go into a frustrage and start attacking (a la her running attack in Kirby Star Allies) the cast, cut to splash screen: Adeleine grabs the war paint!

Bonus: Bayonetta taunts, “If you need to learn how to talk to a lady—” But is cut off by someone off screen, “Ask me!” Splash screen: Lady Gaga pokes your face!

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Scorpion shoving his hand into Sub-Zero's chest and ripping a smash invite out of his body instead of a beating heart.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
WoL has made me add Kirby to my secondaries and make me heavily consider Villager.
I believe that's one of the reasons why they made most of the characters unlockable, that way way you can try many different characters and not just stick with one
Scorpion shoving his hand into Sub-Zero's chest and ripping a smash invite out of his body instead of a beating heart.
The E10+ rating logo appears in the bottom left corner of the trailer

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Anyone here enjoying K. Rool so far? He looks really good given the footage I've seen of him. One of the best heavyweights at least.
K Rool might be in the top 5 best characters in this game. He's unbelievably busted.

Pros:
Heavy, literally lives until 200% in many instances
Fantastic recovery
Belly armor
Kills early
Fast movement speed, and fast moves in general
Really good range
Very little lag
Two meteors
Two strong projectiles
Good counter

Cons:
He's big

washyrose670

Smash Apprentice
The smash ballot was in Sub-Zero’s vest pocket. Scorpion is furious and suspicious the smashers would collaborate with the man who killed him.

What does the splash screen say?

D

Deleted member

Play Villager, you wont regret it
I probably will. Villager was always a character I loved in Smash 4, but never took the time to properly learn because I was always busy with different characters. I think I'll give them a proper shot this time.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I believe that's one of the reason why they made most of the characters unlockable, that way way you can try many different characters and not just stick with one

The E10+ rating logo appears in the bottom left corner of the trailer
It's a good thing. I had a lot of fun playing Villager and Snake, even though I don't usually play as them.

Also, switch blood with confetti and you have a perfectly family friendly trailer.

D

Deleted member

K Rool might be in the top 5 best characters in this game. He's unbelievably busted.

Pros:
Fantastic recovery
Belly armor
Kills early
Really good range
Very little lag
Two meteors
Two strong projectiles
Good counter

Cons:
He's big
Seriously tf kinda heavy has a recovery better then most middleweights damn

washyrose670

Smash Apprentice
I believe that's one of the reason why they made most of the characters unlockable, that way way you can try many different characters and not just stick with one
There are other characters?
Oops.
I’m pretending it’s the sequel Peach deserved after SPP.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Seriously tf kinda heavy has a recovery better then most middleweights damn
Honestly he has one of the best recoveries in the game, and that's something that's very valuable in this game.
If anyone reading this is wondering who they can safely play offstage, :ultfox::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultvillager::ultyounglink::ultkrool::ultjigglypuff::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultpikachu::ultpichu: are pretty much it out of the whole cast. Everyone else has either bad or really punishable recovery.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Pros:
Fantastic recovery
Belly armor
Kills early
Really good range
Very little lag
Two meteors
Two strong projectiles
Good counter

Cons:
He's big
I see SO freaking much of him online. And it's hard to gauge exactly how good he is with latency, since I fall for either his crown or his cannonball much more often than I should.

The interesting thing about K. Rool is he actually feels like a heavyweight, and not just a big character. Finding ways to bait out his superarmor moves instead of just eating **** is the challenge against him. Also, don't get grabbed after 80% or you're so freaking dead.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Honestly he has one of the best recoveries in the game, and that's something that's very valuable in this game.
If anyone reading this is wondering who they can safely play offstage, :ultfox::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultvillager::ultyounglink::ultkrool::ultjigglypuff::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultpikachu::ultpichu: are pretty much it out of the whole cast. Everyone else has either bad or really punishable recovery.
*Bayo isn't in*

How can you tell balancing team overdid the nerfs jk

Also, don't Toon Link and Young Link have same recoveries?

D

Deleted member

I see SO freaking much of him online. And it's hard to gauge exactly how good he is with latency, since I fall for either his crown or his cannonball much more often than I should.

The interesting thing about K. Rool is he actually feels like a heavyweight, and not just a big character. Finding ways to bait out his superarmor moves instead of just eating **** is the challenge against him. Also, don't get grabbed after 80% or you're so freaking dead.
Heck, even at like 60% Down-Throw to Down-Air can kill. The lad's a monster.

And then there's things like the Blunderbuss being able to be used on and off-stage. Plus, you can throw out the Crown and then switch to Blunderbuss when someone's trying to recover to make it really tough for them.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Also, don't Toon Link and Young Link have same recoveries?
Oh **** they might.
I legitimately forgot Toon Link was in the game.
Regardless, I doubt his offstage game is as good as Young Link's just due to his aerials. But Young Link has stupid good recovery for some reason so if they have the same up-b distance then yeah Toon may have some sauce

D

Deleted member

His only issue is him being combo food vs characters like Chrom but if he can break out of it and grab or punish then you're ****ing screwed

D

Deleted member

Here a nice little game for everyone, how would your DLC picks be invited. Or, if you could chose how your 4 wanted DLC picks would be invite, how they be invited.
DLC pick 1) Crono - Crono appears back at the millennial fair via time hole and parts ways with Lucca & Marle, heading back home. His mom greets him and before he can go upstairs, his mom stops him to say some mail arrived for him while he was gone. He opens the letter, gives the 'surprised' sprite pose he had in game, and it cuts to "Crono flies in!"

DLC pick 2) ...

You know...Joker was completely unexpected; I did want him, but I didn't really give much thought to the actual possibility (completely forgetting about the interview back in 2016 where Sakurai gushes about everything in Persona 5), so after his inclusion, there really isn't a large "Wish List" for me. And since being an Assist Trophy reduces your chances to 0, I can't really make an invitation trailer for Ashley or Skull Kid, so beyond hoping for Crono (or Sephiroth), there's nobody left. Being a Spirit makes things less likely (though I suppose not 0%), but since I doubt it, I'm not making an invite for Shantae either lol.

I feel like at this point, if there's another character I want in this game, I don't consciously know about it. It'll probably be one of those "Never have I wanted something so bad, but never knew" moments for any remaining DLC characters beyond Crono lol.

D

Deleted member

I wonder how K. Rool fairs against Villager and Isabelle. I feel like good Isabelles could put up a decent fight with Pocket and the Gyroid Rocket. Fishing Rod could potentially mess him up during recovery because of how big a target he is.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Btw, Alm & Celica have the best Spirit battle because it's just you beating up two children who don't want to fight, while "Those Who Challenge Gods" blasts in the background.

D

Deleted member

His dthrow bury is actually pretty easy to escape, as soon as you see the windup start mashing and there's a decent chance you live. I've had people escape it before I can kill them when they're over 100%.
Just don't get hit by a sweet spot dtilt or you're actually ****ed.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I wonder how K. Rool fairs against Villager and Isabelle. I feel like good Isabelles could put up a decent fight with Pocket and the Gyroid Rocket. Fishing Rod could potentially mess him up during recovery because of how big a target he is.
I personally think Isabelle wins the match up if she camps. Stages like Dream Land would fare well for her.
Isabelle so far is the only character besides Pikachu that I don't see any bad match ups for.

osby

Smash Obsessed
His only issue is him being combo food vs characters like Chrom but if he can break out of it and grab or punish then you're ****ing screwed
Even if I get a hit on that *content redacted*, it's either connects with his belly or he counters it. It's so annoying.

D

Deleted member

Isabelle makes life hard for heavies but I'm not so sure she can camp him as well as others like Bowser because of the janky **** he can do with the cannonball and crown

though isabelle can pocket crown and gimp k rool uuntil she loses a stock but dont tell isabelle mains we dont want them to be even stronger

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Yeah. I use almost entirely middleweights that can easily chain moves against him, out-aerial him and get him off the stage. The problem for me comes from that super armor combined with such a fantastic recovery. I'll have the damage lead the whole match then get KO'd around 70-80% from one mistake. He hurts.

In general though, I feel like all the heavyweights got buffed. Good for them. But suddenly playing a Ganon or Bowser isn't as easy as it was before. They're kind of dominating quick play right now since latency helps them more than the lightweights.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
He's got slower run speed than Dedede though and has the 16th slowest airspeed in the game. He's a lot of things but fast is not one of em lol

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Isabelle makes life hard for heavies but I'm not so sure she can camp him as well as others like Bowser because of the janky **** he can do with the cannonball and crown

though isabelle can pocket crown and gimp k rool uuntil she loses a stock but dont tell isabelle mains we dont want them to be even stronger
The shih tzu secretaries are gonna rise up and you know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom