• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I thought that the base roster had 69.

With the last one being Incineroar.
In terms of the numbering system where only non-echoes are counted and Pokemon Trainer counts as 3, yes there's 69.
In terms of the full roster, including echoes and counting Pokemon Trainer as 1 (as in the # of roster slots), there's 74.
In terms of the full roster, including echoes and counting Pokemon Trainer as 3, there's 76.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Oh man, FDG just posted this..

Edit: They're teasing for sure but I don't know. For a company to do that.. it seems they know something :)
I'm wearing my Prime 3 shirt today for good luck. Our Metroid discord server is probably going to explode again if this happens.

D

Deleted member

I'm wearing my Prime 3 shirt today for good luck. Our Metroid discord server is probably going to explode again if this happens.
I am wearing my Crash Bandicoot shirt too.

We should do a fusion of the luck released from our shirts to get both wishes.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
The Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts artist, i think.

And SEGA too.
I know about those, but what about artists for this final day in particular?

Oh you got what I thought exactly, pretty neat indeed :)
This is the second Capcom tribute btw (or was there a 3rd, forgot). Different artists have done their tributes from each company, but if you're asking about "1 day remaining" specifically, then unfortunately no. Arts or tributes were bound by two entries for each day.
I think each day has had at least 2 different artists. If you're referring to the Mario vs. Rathalos drawing, I saw that one. It's great! Speaking of today, I like how today's art is between Mega Man and Splatoon. The color contrast is perfect.

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
I am going to call it now: A Tetromino (either a single block or an amalgam of the 7 acting together in some form) will be one of the DLC fighters.

There's quite a bit of evidence for it that has led me to this conclusion. I have taken the liberty of compiling all of my evidence below, and highlighted the key points.
  1. Tetris is already in Smash Ultimate, in the form of music. The Tetris Company holds a sound trademark on the version of Korobeiniki known as "Type A" for use in videogames, meaning that they have already been consulted by Nintendo for Smash.
  2. However, despite this, there are no Tetromino spirits. If we go by the current theory that Spirits deconfirm fighters, and that absence from the list is a benefit to the character's chances of being in Smash, then the lack of any of the Tetris blocks as Spirits is extremely telling.
  3. Especially considering they are a new third-party character, whose owners would likely want to profit as much as they can off of Tetris's inclusion.
  4. Though this may be merely coincidental, the Japanese release of Tetris for the Game Boy turns 30 on June 14, 2019, right in the middle of the projected Fighter's Pass Releases.
  5. Everyone knows what Tetris is - half the marketing work to sell that DLC is done for Nintendo already. Sakurai has also been known to be very much interested in "icon value" when choosing picks in the past. Famously, he has stated that this is why Lloyd would be the only Tales of character he would ever consider for Smash.
  6. We also do not have a Tetris stage, something that has been missing from Smash Bros. for years. Every fighter in the Fighter's Pass is coming with a stage and music. (And maybe more
  7. It could also be announced to coincide with a port of the recently released game The Tetris Effect (which is currently a PS4 exclusive, though it was not developed by Sony) to the Nintendo Switch.
  8. Tetromino would have to have a completely unique and original moveset, meaning that it would be guaranteed to bring something new to the roster - something that has been a general theme among Ultimate's newcomers so far (with the exception of Isabelle and the Echo Fighters).

I doubt it'll be the one announced at the Game Awards tonight (if there is one) though. Instead, going with point 7, they'll end up being saved for the end of a Nintendo Direct sometime early next spring.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
In terms of the numbering system where only non-echoes are counted and Pokemon Trainer counts as 3, yes there's 69.
In terms of the full roster, including echoes and counting Pokemon Trainer as 1 (as in the # of roster slots), there's 74.
In terms of the full roster, including echoes and counting Pokemon Trainer as 3, there's 76.
And including future DLC, it's 74, 79, and 81 respectively.

KMDP

Smash Legend

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Well I'm probably not going anywhere after I get the game. I actually first really joined Smashboards just after Smash 4's release, if I recall. Speculation was never the reason I came to this website. I come here because I just want to talk about Smash in general and you can bet I'll still have things to say about it after release.

Ronster87

Ronnie
NNID
Ronster87
Switch FC
7787-7027-5981
Managed to get a couple of copies (for myself and a friend) a day early. As someone who was a bit skeptical after everything I read online, 2 hours in I'm having a blast with this game. Having played Smash since the very beginning, I'm super happy with this so far.

- Game is visually gorgeous. I was afraid that the colors were a bit dull based on what I saw online, it's not the case at all. It looks fantastic.

- It feels super weird for the first 30 mins. Plays super different than Smash 4, I was a bit intimidated and unsure at first, but just give it a bit of a play and it just gets more and more natural. It plays great once you get the hang of it.

- Online was a bit laggy but it may be from my connection. I put custom rules and didn't get exactly the matches that I wanted, but it was quite close. I imagine this will not be a problem when more people get the game and there's a bigger pool from which I can get matched.

- WoL is fun. Just 45 mins and I'm enjoying it, but I can see it getting slightly repetitive.

Overall, super duper happy with it. I can tell that I'll be hooked to this for a long, long time. Can't wait to get good and get some multiplayer with friends going.

https://imgur.com/a/dPwVc0d

Everyone who's waiting is in for a treat :)

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
As I edited. FDG posted that in hopes, so please don't raise yours upon that. However, for them posting that, they seem to know something.
I think each day has had at least 2 different artists. If you're referring to the Mario vs. Rathalos drawing, I saw that one. It's great! Speaking of today, I like how today's art is between Mega Man and Splatoon. The color contrast is perfect.
Yes, each day since the 9th had only 2 entries (not all were art). Yes, that one, so Capcom did two only. Well you're one with a taste :)

D

Deleted member

>PSASBR
>Master Chief

Is Crash in the game at the reality you live?
Lol it has always been a running joke with me and my friends that I'd call the Resistance guy Master Chief and piss off the one who owned the game.
There are a lot of people I forgot to tag to voice my appreciation for. To list a few:
osby osby
Idon Idon
vaanrose vaanrose
@ChronoBound
Shroob Shroob
Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones
@Thirdkoopa
@Cyndane (thanks for putting up with all of my mentions when I needed an admin)
Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth (thanks for putting up with all of my mentions when I needed a mod)
@A.G.L.
@Hydrualic Hydra
Opossum Opossum
monadoboy monadoboy
@「Hinata」 (that name is really hard to @)
Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman
Opossum Opossum
@GoldenYuiitusin
@Shishœ
@Chrono.
@Starbound
@CyberHyperPhoenix
KMDP KMDP
And of course...
Zinith Zinith

Sorry for spamming all of your alerts with notifications lol.
L-like I care about you tagging me, b-baka! You should feel honored that I allowed you to tag me in the first place!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh now we know how to get the endings in world of light

beat darkhan alone for galeem bad ending beat galeem alone for darkhan bad ending in phase 3 of coarse

And true ending is beating both of them at the same time

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Lol it has always been a running joke with me and my friends that I'd call the Resistance guy Master Chief and piss off the one who owned the game.

L-like I care about you tagging me, b-baka! You should feel honored that I allowed you to tag me in the first place!
Okay I gotta know: what show is that dragon from?

D

Deleted member

Managed to get a couple of copies (for myself and a friend) a day early. As someone who was a bit skeptical after everything I read online, 2 hours in I'm having a blast with this game. Having played Smash since the very beginning, I'm super happy with this so far.

- Game is visually gorgeous. I was afraid that the colors were a bit dull based on what I saw online, it's not the case at all. It looks fantastic.

- It feels super weird for the first 30 mins. Plays super different than Smash 4, I was a bit intimidated and unsure at first, but just give it a bit of a play and it just gets more and more natural. It plays great once you get the hang of it.

- Online was a bit laggy but it may be from my connection. I put custom rules and didn't get exactly the matches that I wanted, but it was quite close. I imagine this will not be a problem when more people get the game and there's a bigger pool from which I can get matched.

- WoL is fun. Just 45 mins and I'm enjoying it, but I can see it getting slightly repetitive.

Overall, super duper happy with it. I can tell that I'll be hooked to this for a long, long time. Can't wait to get good and get some multiplayer with friends going.

https://imgur.com/a/dPwVc0d

Everyone who's waiting is in for a treat :)
Woah, an OG! Interesting to hear that sort of perspective haha

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Can't speak for the Splatoon one but Mega Man's looks like one of the artists from Mega Man 11, so either Ryuji Higurashi or Yuji Ishihara.
Plot-twist: RYuji ryused assets from his Mega Man 11 render of Mega Man like the lazy copy/pasting Capcom employee that he is.
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png

Yes, each day since the 9th had only 2 entries (not all were art). Yes, that one, so Capcom did two only. Well you're one with a taste :)
Being a Mega Man fan and Monster Hunter fan, would you expect any less? ;]

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Which Smash reveal Will stand at the Game Awards?

Crash Bandicoot?

Or the Square rep?

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
There are a lot of people I forgot to tag to voice my appreciation for. To list a few:
osby osby
Idon Idon
vaanrose vaanrose
@ChronoBound
Shroob Shroob
Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones
@Thirdkoopa
@Cyndane (thanks for putting up with all of my mentions when I needed an admin)
Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth (thanks for putting up with all of my mentions when I needed a mod)
@A.G.L.
@Hydrualic Hydra
Opossum Opossum
monadoboy monadoboy
@「Hinata」 (that name is really hard to @)
Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman
Opossum Opossum
@GoldenYuiitusin
@Shishœ
@Chrono.
@Starbound
@CyberHyperPhoenix
KMDP KMDP
And of course...
Zinith Zinith

Sorry for spamming all of your alerts with notifications lol.
I see... yeah, I get it... I understand... it's fine, really...
I’m on the EST side
Okay, okay, wait, hold up. You blurt out, in the middle of the Ultimate General thread, most likely the most active thread on the whole boards, which timezone, you live in, and, by extension, which coast of the US you're living nearest to, and yet, in PMs, you were really hesitant to tell me even that?

...You know, I don't think I like this website too much, anymore. :p

D

Deleted member

So, spoiler question, to anyone who has the game and already completed World of Light, where can I find and unlock Samus?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Chrom!Kirby is adorable, as expected.
Have you met Opossum? Have you seen Opossum?

Twice is not enough. Not even thrice shout out is enough for that glorious man.
I came here to have a good time and I feel so loved right now.

But for real thanks Fisher!

KMDP

Smash Legend
Which Smash reveal Will stand at the Game Awards?

Crash Bandicoot?

Or the Square rep?
I'd say the Square Rep is more likely.

Because it seems like CTR is getting revealed at the Game Awards, revealing Crash for Smash would kinda steal CTR's thunder, not that it's unlikely.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
It's been fun, everybody. I'll still pop in from time to time. But it felt kind of nice to come back here instead of frequenting Twitter all the time. Makes me wish the competitive scene made a big return to these boards. Feels less toxic.

Thanks everyone! Have fun with the game when you get your hands on it!

Darkbeard

Smash Apprentice
I am going to call it now: A Tetromino (either a single block or an amalgam of the 7 acting together in some form) will be one of the DLC fighters.

There's quite a bit of evidence for it that has led me to this conclusion. I have taken the liberty of compiling all of my evidence below, and highlighted the key points.
  1. Tetris is already in Smash Ultimate, in the form of music. The Tetris Company holds a sound trademark on the version of Korobeiniki known as "Type A" for use in videogames, meaning that they have already been consulted by Nintendo for Smash.
  2. However, despite this, there are no Tetromino spirits. If we go by the current theory that Spirits deconfirm fighters, and that absence from the list is a benefit to the character's chances of being in Smash, then the lack of any of the Tetris blocks as Spirits is extremely telling.
  3. Especially considering they are a new third-party character, whose owners would likely want to profit as much as they can off of Tetris's inclusion.
  4. Though this may be merely coincidental, the Japanese release of Tetris for the Game Boy turns 30 on June 14, 2019, right in the middle of the projected Fighter's Pass Releases.
  5. Everyone knows what Tetris is - half the marketing work to sell that DLC is done for Nintendo already. Sakurai has also been known to be very much interested in "icon value" when choosing picks in the past. Famously, he has stated that this is why Lloyd would be the only Tales of character he would ever consider for Smash.
  6. We also do not have a Tetris stage, something that has been missing from Smash Bros. for years. Every fighter in the Fighter's Pass is coming with a stage and music. (And maybe more
  7. It could also be announced to coincide with a port of the recently released game The Tetris Effect (which is currently a PS4 exclusive, though it was not developed by Sony) to the Nintendo Switch.
  8. Tetromino would have to have a completely unique and original moveset, meaning that it would be guaranteed to bring something new to the roster - something that has been a general theme among Ultimate's newcomers so far (with the exception of Isabelle and the Echo Fighters).

I doubt it'll be the one announced at the Game Awards tonight (if there is one) though. Instead, going with point 7, they'll end up being saved for the end of a Nintendo Direct sometime early next spring.
Here's a fun sketch.

Attachments

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Since I see everyone has made a list of everyone that impacted them for the big good bye. Here is mine. I will be making my leave for a week or two after smash arrives because I will either be playing smash or preparing for my finals for my master´s degree. Still, I will be here for the rest of the day. I will most likely be back after that.
We got amazing detailed posters like: vaanrose vaanrose , Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones , Cosmic77 Cosmic77 and DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon .
Then we have really passionate posters like Luigi The President Luigi The President , Zinith Zinith , StellerRJay StellerRJay , Graizen Graizen , LetterO LetterO and NineS NineS .
It was also cool to have people like kirbsmash kirbsmash , Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy , Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku , @Onereasonanddone, osby osby , KarneraMythos KarneraMythos , Wurmple for smash Wurmple for smash , @JDCabrera, Kuon Kuon , @Alastor017, @faygoshill, KMDP KMDP , Chumpodile Chumpodile , Nekoo Nekoo , CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica , Idon Idon , T3Z3R1 T3Z3R1 , @Shishœ, Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth , staindgrey staindgrey , Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman , ClaTheBae ClaTheBae , Jovahexeon Joranvexeon Jovahexeon Joranvexeon , U Untouch , IntelliHeath1 IntelliHeath1 , Robertman2 Robertman2 , Pyra Pyra , monadoboy monadoboy , NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy , TheCJBrine TheCJBrine , Shroob Shroob , Blargg888 Blargg888 , Opossum Opossum , Iridium Iridium , TyrantLizardKing TyrantLizardKing , Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen , SvartWolf SvartWolf and PsySmasher PsySmasher around for the smash speculation. Thanks for the good memories.
Noipoi Noipoi gets a special mention on his own for his art. I love it.
I had my disagreements with J JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL Bionichute Bionichute or GoeGoe GoeGoe but having differing opinions in life is important so thanks for the diferent POWs and never change.
I would like to ask for forgiveness in case I forgot anyone important though.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
So, spoiler question, to anyone who has the game and already completed World of Light, where can I find and unlock Samus?
Uhm... are you joking, or? Are you referring to ZSS? Dark Samus? Cause Samus is part of the base roster.

D

Deleted member

Since I see everyone has made a list of everyone that impacted them for the big good bye. Here is mine. I will be making my leave for a week or two after smash arrives because I will either be playing smash or preparing for my finals for my master´s degree. Still, I will be here for the rest of the day. I will most likely be back after that.
We got amazing detailed posters like: vaanrose vaanrose , Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones , Cosmic77 Cosmic77 and DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon .
Then we have really passionate posters like Luigi The President Luigi The President , Zinith Zinith , StellerRJay StellerRJay , Graizen Graizen , LetterO LetterO and NineS NineS .
It was also cool to have people like kirbsmash kirbsmash , Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy , Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku , @Onereasonanddone, osby osby , KarneraMythos KarneraMythos , Wurmple for smash Wurmple for smash , @JDCabrera, Kuon Kuon , @Alastor017, @faygoshill, KMDP KMDP , Chumpodile Chumpodile , Nekoo Nekoo , CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica , Idon Idon , T3Z3R1 T3Z3R1 , @Shishœ, Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth , staindgrey staindgrey , Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman , ClaTheBae ClaTheBae , Jovahexeon Joranvexeon Jovahexeon Joranvexeon , U Untouch , IntelliHeath1 IntelliHeath1 , Robertman2 Robertman2 , Pyra Pyra , monadoboy monadoboy , NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy , TheCJBrine TheCJBrine , Shroob Shroob , Blargg888 Blargg888 , Opossum Opossum , Iridium Iridium , TyrantLizardKing TyrantLizardKing , Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen , SvartWolf SvartWolf and PsySmasher PsySmasher around for the smash speculation. Thanks for the good memories.
Noipoi Noipoi gets a special mention on his own for his art. I love it.
I had my disagreements with J JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL Bionichute Bionichute or GoeGoe GoeGoe but having differing opinions in life is important so thanks for the diferent POWs and never change.
I would like to ask for forgiveness in case I forgot anyone important though.
Thanks a lot.

Best wishes for the finals!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom