• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yeah, I'm just completely confused now. I guess I would need more context for the thread on Reddit and what's being said, because all it looks like to me right now is somebody who is flip flopping to mess with people.

Not to mention a few friends of mine seem to believe there's no reason to keep following him.

Notice how Verge hasn't really wobbled on anything regarding his leaks, whereas Hitagi has leaned one way, then the other, then the other again, then completely like, "Yeah, I don't know".

This is just madness. Madness I say!

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I think the Squenix rep is still a definite.

Steve is in a very, very weird territory.

Minecraft content could turn out to be free Spirits added alongside a Microsoft character, as unlikely as it is.

Grunky Peep

Smash Journeyman
It's mid-January and everyone's hyped for the Nintendo Direct. Rumors are circulating that the first character in the Fighter's Pass is going to be revealed. You're sitting in front of your screen, eagerly anticipating the reveal of the new character. Is it the Square rep? Are the leaks true? Is Steve in the game? Is it another Fire Emblem character? Banjo-Kazooie? Geno? Sora? Crash? You tell yourself that you need to keep your expectations in check. "Whether the character I want gets in or not, Sakurai still put a lot of work in this game and I should still be grateful." The direct goes over info for Luigi's Mansion 3, FE 3 Houses, and Animal Crossing. Finally, 2/3 of the way through the direct, it transitions to a Smash trailer. Your heart beats faster than ever, as you watch the familiar black screen get split into four pieces as the camera zooms into the white cross shape. The screen is black for a few seconds, then fades in to this shot.
maxresdefault (3).jpg

SOMEBODY-

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Chrom and Roy have almost the same amount of differences as Mario and Dr. Mario.
A different special attack.
Different effects instead of fire.
Different taunts, aerials, framedata, smash attacks, animations.
Taunts don't count, since Daisy got her own, Dark Pit as well. Aerials are the same, The Marios has differs in downs airs, Chrom's data looks mostly like Roy.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I know many people here hate Vergeben but I kind of wish Hitagi was more like him. Verge didnt post anything until all his sources aligned. Hitagi could use Verge more conservative style of leaking.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashBrosUltimate/comments/9fofbl/leaked_info/
This is from 2 months ago. I'll bold things that seem important.

"Posting this here since the smashbros subreddit deleted it. (guessing because I don't have any pictures or anything?)Hey so long story short up until a couple weeks ago I was a tester on smash ultimate. I don't really have too much proof since they don't allow electronics. The person in charge is named Robert Jahn and the code name is Cross2 if that helps. I can take a pic of my badge if really needed but that could still be anyone at NOA and is a bit incriminating so I'd rather not.Anyway after Isabelle the only other characters are Ken and Incineroar. So not much interesting there. Single player mode is neat. Spirits are kind of like stickers. Stage selection last I was there is still a ****show with no sorting. Couple modes are day 1 patch and there is a dlc character pretty playable. Won't spoil those for now.Just throwing out some leaks to **** off those **** at the office for letting me go. Plus they treat the rest of the team like crap, the turnover is high for a reason. My roommate who works there said like half of the testers aren't in the credits just because they didn't feel like adding them basically. Plus devs are way behind on fixing bugs, don't be surprised if the release build has bugs.If anyone has any specific questions ask. I'd like to give more proof but I can't really think of anything.Edit: I can leak some assist trophy or pokemon stuff if you want or specific movesets (isabelle can tether recover with her fishing rod special for instance) but honestly I don't know what's been released and what hasn't. Did they show the Mario Paint fly swatter assist trophy yet? That game's pretty great.Honestly since my goal is to **** over the management in the testing department it's kind of annoying that I can't get this on a more popular subreddit and that I don't have any concrete proof. Let me know if there is anything I could say that would help that's not like a picture or something I can't get. I mean I've played the game all the way through so if I could connect some dots or something idk."

It's hard to make out what he's saying but I believe he's telling the truth. The only thing that seems really interesting is this "day 1 patch" and "dlc character pretty playable".

Thoughts?
That’s much better

Very interesting he got as much right as Vergeben

Kencineroar
The fly shatter assist
The fishing pole
Still some unsortingmof the stages despite they are when they debuted

So a patch of modes yea would make sense since a lot of important ones have gone missing

Oh and that’s not the only things he got right

https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashBrosUltimate/comments/9fk0yw/potential_dlc_fighters/e5y2g4v/?context=3

I worked on it for a while and no ****ing joke the only one in the game as of a couple weeks ago is a pirhana plant. I have no idea why. It doesn't even have the>! fireball!< they're known for. Such a strange choice, people are going to be ****** off when they announce that. It's pretty playable though just some minor graphical bugs last I checked. I assume they'll do more DLC in the future but that's the only one in the build we got (you have to use the debug menu to use him).

Also Incineroar is on the base roster, he does a bunch of wrestling moves, it's kind of weird. Also his purple skin definitely looks like Big the Cat's colors, probably a coincidence but I always found it funny. His side special is especially strange you literally summon ropes and bounce the opponent against them. Seriously I know that sounds stupid but you'll see, that's legitimately his side special. Is there a pokemon move to justify that? I can't imagine there is.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Ok I just need to say she does not get hit from her loid rocket but it could be an amazing ledge guard like her fishing hook because it has a hit box coming in and going out so it would be best for her to have stage control, I think a good option for getting out of neutral is prob her nair because it seems like Marths nair with a shorter range and she can prob spam it.
(P.S her loud rocket is a multi hit so it could lead to combos in early game
I was talking about people trying to spam with Isabelle in lower level FFA play, not in competitive play.

It looks like she does have some strong traps at the ledge, yeah, I’m interested to see how well she works out competitively.

Noipoi

Howdy!
It's mid-January and everyone's hyped for the Nintendo Direct. Rumors are circulating that the first character in the Fighter's Pass is going to be revealed. You're sitting in front of your screen, eagerly anticipating the reveal of the new character. Is it the Square rep? Are the leaks true? Is Steve in the game? Is it another Fire Emblem character? Banjo-Kazooie? Geno? Sora? Crash? You tell yourself that you need to keep your expectations in check. "Whether the character I want gets in or not, Sakurai still put a lot of work in this game and I should still be grateful." The direct goes over info for Luigi's Mansion 3, FE 3 Houses, and Animal Crossing. Finally, 2/3 of the way through the direct, it transitions to a Smash trailer. Your heart beats faster than ever, as you watch the familiar black screen get split into four pieces as the camera zooms into the white cross shape. The screen is black for a few seconds, then fades in to this shot.
View attachment 179009
SOMEBODY-
This is looking pretty dumb.
With my finger and my thumb in the shape of an "L" on my forehead.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
That’s much better

Kencineroar
The fly shatter assist
The fishing pole

So a patch of modes yea would make sense since a lot of important ones have gone missing

Oh and something else he got right

https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashBrosUltimate/comments/9fk0yw/potential_dlc_fighters/e5y2g4v/?context=3
He's clearly a legit leaker. Doesn't matter since he's posted nothing since and nothing new except potentially DLC game modes.

Seine

Smash Cadet
I was talking about people trying to spam with Isabelle in lower level FFA play, not in competitive play.

It looks like she does have some strong traps at the ledge, yeah, I’m interested to see how well she works out competitively.
I understand

NineS

Smash Lord
View attachment 179009
SOMEBODY-
Let me finish that for you.
He's in.

I'm not sorry.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It is odd how Hitagi seemed to imply what he heard about all 5 characters was fake.

However, he still thinks Steve is in, so maybe he just wasn't clear. I'm gonna be biased and say Steve is in, along with Banjo-Kazooie please.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
State_of_Smash_DLC.jpg

u/Senjougahara__Hitagi: "Super Smash fans, I hope you're ready for deconfirmations!"

Smashboards: "I thought we were having Steve banned."

u/Senjougahara__Hitagi: "D'oh no! I said 'Three banned!' Those were the deconfirmations!"

Smashboards: "You called deconfirmations 'Three banned'?"

u/Senjougahara__Hitagi: "Yes! It's a reasonal redirect!"

Smashboards: "Uhuh. And what reason?"

u/Senjougahara__Hitagi: "Uhhh, state unknown?"

Smashboards: "Really? Well I've been following and I never heard of those three banned."

u/Senjougahara__Hitagi: "Oh, not unknown, no! It's an Insider expression."

Smashboards: "I see."

[Xander voice] THE SPECULATION CONTINUES!!!

(Also, pardon lousy oc. Also-also, no h8 toward Hitagi. Just wanted to make a funny)

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Wait, so today is the birthday of Melee in Japan, and it's also Smash Wii U's birthday for the US & Canada. Uh, the more you know, I guess.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
He's clearly a legit leaker. Doesn't matter since he's posted nothing since and nothing new except potentially DLC game modes.
He also said that the game will probably be full of bugs when it launches, so be prepared for major updates post-launch

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
He also said that the game will probably be full of bugs when it launches, so be prepared for major updates post-launch
Not too concerned seeing as that post was 2 months ago. They've had plenty of time to iron those bugs out.
With a game of this scale I'm not shocked though.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
View attachment 179009
SOMEBODY-
GIMME CRASH BANDICOOT DAMMIT

Seriously can we just have confirmation on whether Crash is in the DLC list? I'm trying to not hype myself up because it's gonna be certain fighters that I don't want like Steve, but I'm happy for his fans

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
GIMME CRASH BANDICOOT DAMMIT

Seriously can we just have confirmation on whether Crash is in the DLC list? I'm trying to not hype myself up because it's gonna be certain fighters that I don't want like Steve, but I'm happy for his fans
Well we just got confirmation that literally no DLC fighter is for sure except maybe Steve and definitely a Squenix rep so

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
It is odd how Hitagi seemed to imply what he heard about all 5 characters was fake.

However, he still thinks Steve is in, so maybe he just wasn't clear. I'm gonna be biased and say Steve is in, along with Banjo-Kazooie please.
You forgot about vergebens Minecraft content thing didn’t you

And he doubled down that after the 3rd smash direct

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well, away from leaks and a bit to my own speculation. I've basically come to terms with Rex and Spring Man not being in, because frankly the Mii Fighter costume on Spring Man looks like a solid compromise.

Like, I feel as though if Spring Man and Rex were eligible they would be in the game. Assuming ARMS survives long enough as a series for a future Smash game, I feel like Spring Man could definitely be playable. Rex, well, I'm not so sure about. By that point, I fully expect Xenoblade 3 or X2 will be out.

I've mentioned it to a few other people but I simply feel that Sora is probably the biggest non-playable, not currently appearing character in Smash. With Kingdom Hearts 3 coming, and having personally just played through pretty much the entire series except for the Fragmentary Passage, I can see why people love it so much. I used to be the type of person who didn't play it because, "Keep Disney away from muh vidya" but I'm quite glad I've played through it.

Sora could absolutely work without Donald or Goofy, especially because, well, Dream Drop Distance is literally only playing as Sora and Riku on their own. It may seem weird to not have any references to Disney if he were in, but it's entirely possible.

I'm not really sure how likely Sora is to be a Downloadable character for Smash Ultimate, but I would say he's probably "the whale" of the bunch. If Nintendo and Sakurai can strike a deal with Disney and Nomura, then I really do believe that seals the deal of not only Playstation All-Stars being completely BTFO, but similar to Infinity War, I simply don't think there will ever be something this big ever again.

I mean, at this point I think Sora is the best choice for a supplementary Square Enix character (even if the series is owned by Disney), but that doesn't mean that I think he's the most likely. I really am not sure what to think about it, because Sora requires quite a bit of work to get the licensing for. It's not just Square Enix, but Disney. With the music, the music is comprised of Disney remixes and then original tracks that are probably expensive to use.

I can't see why Nintendo and Sakurai wouldn't at least broach the subject, because if you are able to work out that deal then the value of the "guests" despite already being absolutely insane, would still be ramped up even more.

Plus, just the fact that you could have Cloud vs. Sora, the Master Sword, Buster Sword, Monado, Keyblade, and various other swords in the same game would just be crazy.

Just a few years ago I was very much against Sora. Now? I would totally love to see him.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
That’s much better

Kencineroar
The fly shatter assist
The fishing pole

Oh and that’s not the only things he got right

Any idea what modes he might be talking about? Patching current modes or adding new modes as dlc?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Any idea what modes he might be talking about? Patching current modes or adding new modes as dlc?
I’m guessing adding modes the game is not even out yet and this guy is more dead on than vergeben

The two most obvious comes to mind is...

Stadium and stage maker

Hey stadium might have a boss rush mode so the characters can fight all of them without going threw world of light a lot (but I’m assuming there’s a mode for that after yo7 beat world of light.)

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
You forgot about vergebens Minecraft content thing didn’t you

And he doubled down that after the 3rd smash direct
I didn't forget, but Vergeben seems to trust Hitagi so I'm willing to take his words into consideration (even if he seems wishy-washy from time to time).

I highly doubt Minecraft is anything other than a stage and/or character unless we get a Mii Costume or some Spirits with Banjo-Kazooie as playable.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I didn't forget, but Vergeben seems to trust Hitagi so I'm willing to take his words into consideration (even if he seems wishy-washy from time to time).

I highly doubt Minecraft is anything other than a stage and/or character unless we get a Mii Costume or some Spirits with Banjo-Kazooie as playable.
Not exactly

Vergeben is now not completely trusting Hitagi anymore

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I’m guessing adding modes the game is not even out yet and this guy is more dead on than vergeben

The two most obvious comes to mind is...

Stadium and stage maker

Hey stadium might have a boss rush mode so the characters can fight all of them without going threw world of light a lot (but I’m assuming there’s a mode for that after yo7 beat world of light.)
I don't want to get my hopes up, but stage builder is legit the only thing left that I want in this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom