• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So since Hitagi is now oof...what about verge? Remember, he said he trusted her
HITAGI IS A GUY

Anyways, I'd say Verge is in limbo right now as we haven't heard from him in a good long while (he's probably been taking a backseat while Hitagi takes most of the flack for leaking information). All of his predictions have come true, so we can definitely trust him, but all we know right now is a Square Enix rep who's impossible to leak and Minecraft content of some sort.

Also, I'm pretty sure Hitagi is still confident in Steve's inclusion.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashBrosUltimate/comments/9fofbl/leaked_info/
This is from 2 months ago. I'll bold things that seem important.

"Posting this here since the smashbros subreddit deleted it. (guessing because I don't have any pictures or anything?)Hey so long story short up until a couple weeks ago I was a tester on smash ultimate. I don't really have too much proof since they don't allow electronics. The person in charge is named Robert Jahn and the code name is Cross2 if that helps. I can take a pic of my badge if really needed but that could still be anyone at NOA and is a bit incriminating so I'd rather not.Anyway after Isabelle the only other characters are Ken and Incineroar. So not much interesting there. Single player mode is neat. Spirits are kind of like stickers. Stage selection last I was there is still a ****show with no sorting. Couple modes are day 1 patch and there is a dlc character pretty playable. Won't spoil those for now.Just throwing out some leaks to **** off those **** at the office for letting me go. Plus they treat the rest of the team like crap, the turnover is high for a reason. My roommate who works there said like half of the testers aren't in the credits just because they didn't feel like adding them basically. Plus devs are way behind on fixing bugs, don't be surprised if the release build has bugs.If anyone has any specific questions ask. I'd like to give more proof but I can't really think of anything.Edit: I can leak some assist trophy or pokemon stuff if you want or specific movesets (isabelle can tether recover with her fishing rod special for instance) but honestly I don't know what's been released and what hasn't. Did they show the Mario Paint fly swatter assist trophy yet? That game's pretty great.Honestly since my goal is to **** over the management in the testing department it's kind of annoying that I can't get this on a more popular subreddit and that I don't have any concrete proof. Let me know if there is anything I could say that would help that's not like a picture or something I can't get. I mean I've played the game all the way through so if I could connect some dots or something idk."

It's hard to make out what he's saying but I believe he's telling the truth. The only thing that seems really interesting is this "day 1 patch" and "dlc character pretty playable".

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Anyways, I'd say Verge is in limbo right now as we haven't heard from him in a good long while (he's probably been taking a backseat while Hitagi takes most of the flack for leaking information).
Probably doing his way through into finding who the 5 DLC characters are. That's likely why he hasn't been heard from since.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
No, your points are totally fair. I personally underestimate Geno most times, but he is/was a part of the Holy Trinity of Smash speculation characters.

I feel like Dragon Quest gets a buy here because Square Enix is making a hard effort to break into the Western market. Calane Calane probably knows more about it given he's the resident Dragon Quest guy, but now more than ever they're trying to make Dragon Quest a global series. Dragon Quest XIS is coming to Switch soon, and the promotional opportunity seems too good to pass up.

It's unfortunate for both you and I, but we're likely getting a DQ character.
And I feel selfish saying "no, no DQ" but...no DQ, damn it lol. Just...I get it's a big old series but I just can't get into it. And I definitely wouldn't if we got a DQ rep over any other Squenix choices. This sucks man!

I don't wanna hurt any DQ fans tho. I'm sure the DQ rep if they get in will be plenty fun just not my style.

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
It's hard to make out what he's saying but I believe he's telling the truth. The only thing that seems really interesting is this "day 1 patch" and "dlc character pretty playable".

Thoughts?
I think "dlc character pretty playable" is just referring to Piranha Plant being fairly far in development. Day 1 patch is the real toss up tho.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Can you stop nitpicking? His fire-typing isn't the centerpiece of my criticism. It's toward Game Freak and how they go about advertising things that makes them really unexciting in Smash. Fire Emblem is in the same boat for me, and this is coming from someone who's fine with 4's line-up. I dislike the idea of getting 3 Houses rep and a Gen 8 rep before knowing who the hell we're dealing with. It's advertisement done in the worst way possible.
Its not nitpicking. I am tired of the argument that we cant have multiple representatives of the same type just because of the nonsensical idea that type is all the interesting thing that a pokemon can bring. I dont see any complaints about squirtle and greninja being the same despite both having water type moves. I am fine with us getting a new Grass type char even if Ivysaur exists because I dont think that they would have to play the same. Like I said before, Incineroar being a fire type doesnt matter. He doesnt have fire type moves and plays nothing like our other fire type representative. Incineroar being a fire type is a really weak criticism against the char and I stand by this statement.

I didnt say anything about the rest of your argument because I didnt disagree with it. Dont think that because I dislike a point in your argument, that I am disagreeing with everything you are saying.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

"Posting this here since the smashbros subreddit deleted it. (guessing because I don't have any pictures or anything?)Hey so long story short up until a couple weeks ago I was a tester on smash ultimate. I don't really have too much proof since they don't allow electronics. The person in charge is named Robert Jahn and the code name is Cross2 if that helps. I can take a pic of my badge if really needed but that could still be anyone at NOA and is a bit incriminating so I'd rather not.Anyway after Isabelle the only other characters are Ken and Incineroar. So not much interesting there. Single player mode is neat. Spirits are kind of like stickers. Stage selection last I was there is still a ****show with no sorting. Couple modes are day 1 patch and there is a dlc character pretty playable. Won't spoil those for now.Just throwing out some leaks to **** off those **** at the office for letting me go. Plus they treat the rest of the team like crap, the turnover is high for a reason. My roommate who works there said like half of the testers aren't in the credits just because they didn't feel like adding them basically. Plus devs are way behind on fixing bugs, don't be surprised if the release build has bugs.If anyone has any specific questions ask. I'd like to give more proof but I can't really think of anything.Edit: I can leak some assist trophy or pokemon stuff if you want or specific movesets (isabelle can tether recover with her fishing rod special for instance) but honestly I don't know what's been released and what hasn't. Did they show the Mario Paint fly swatter assist trophy yet? That game's pretty great.Honestly since my goal is to **** over the management in the testing department it's kind of annoying that I can't get this on a more popular subreddit and that I don't have any concrete proof. Let me know if there is anything I could say that would help that's not like a picture or something I can't get. I mean I've played the game all the way through so if I could connect some dots or something idk."

Thoughts?
Later he says that the DLC character is Piranha Plant, they had to use the debug menu to access it, and it still had some graphical bugs but was pretty much playable at that time.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Weren't online tournaments added as a free update on Wii U? Modes coming in free updates doesn't seem too farfeched, since they did the same thing with Smash 4.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I want to throw another nonsensical third party DLC character into the mix.

John Marston from Red Dead Redemption
  • We don't have any cowboys and the only other viable options (Sheriff and Flint from Mother 3) have been deconfirmed
  • Rockstar is one of the most famous, successful developers of all time; easily deserves a place in Smash
  • Appears in both RDR and RDR2; GTA characters aren't as recurring and less appropriate for inclusion
  • Has access to to explosives (dynamites, firebottles) and revolvers that can be passed off as old-timey/cartoonish
  • Lasso and Horseriding each provide unique move abilities
    • Lasso is a tether grab that lets you hogtie an enemy, letting you pick them up like an item to throw them off the stage, get free hits in or stow them on your horse
    • Can drag an enemy behind your horse
    • Horseriding works like Wario's Side-B but you can perform other attacks while riding on it (such as the lasso, throwing items, firing revolvers etc) and the horse can be spooked or buck you off it you take too much damage while riding
  • Dead Eye ability allows for a character to have precision shooting moves, letting you juggle enemies with gunfire like they were cans or land precise shots (like hitting an explosive right near an enemy or firing at your dynamite in mid air to set it off prematurely)
  • Helps improve relations with Rockstar, increasing the chances of multimillion selling games being released on the Switch
  • Can come with a Jack Marston costume for half his palettes, an Arthur Morgan Echo Fighter and a Blackwater stage

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

• We don't have any cowboys and the only other viable options (Sheriff and Flint from Mother 3) have been deconfirmed
  • Rockstar is one of the most famous, successful developers of all time; easily deserves a place in Smash
  • Appears in both RDR and RDR2; GTA characters aren't as recurring and less appropriate for inclusion
  • Has access to to explosives (dynamites, firebottles) and revolvers that can be passed off as old-timey/cartoonish
    • Lasso is a tether grab that lets you hogtie an enemy, letting you pick them up like an item to throw them off the stage, get free hits in or stow them on your horse
    • Horseriding works like Wario's Side-B but you can perform other attacks while riding on it (such as the lasso, throwing items, firing revolvers etc) and the horse can be spooked or buck you off it you take too much damage while riding
  • Dead Eye ability allows for a character to have precision shooting moves, letting you juggle enemies with gunfire like they were cans or land precise shots (like hitting an explosive right near an enemy or firing at your dynamite in mid air to set it off prematurely)
  • Helps improve relations with Rockstar, increasing the chances of multimillion selling games being released on the Switch
  • Can come with a Jack Marston costume for half his palettes, an Arthur Morgan Echo Fighter and a Blackwater stage
Not gonna happen but I'd honestly be down for.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, if a Rockstar character has to be in, it should Max Payne.
Wait, what?

Last edited by a moderator:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Thoughts?
I knew all of this stuff around that time lol. Why did you all think I was so confident in Incineroar? Documenting leaks and all that jazz really paid off.
And I feel selfish saying "no, no DQ" but...no DQ, damn it lol. Just...I get it's a big old series but I just can't get into it. And I definitely wouldn't if we got a DQ rep over any other Squenix choices. This sucks man!

I don't wanna hurt any DQ fans tho. I'm sure the DQ rep if they get in will be plenty fun just not my style.
No, I'm with you on that. Sorry Calane Calane , but DQ isn't my thing.
I think "dlc character pretty playable" is just referring to Piranha Plant being fairly far in development. Day 1 patch is the real toss up tho.
Didn't LeakyPandy say there'd be a Day 1 Patch with some game modes?

OH NO NO NO

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
If the guy is real, the only reason I don't think he's referring to an already announced mode being day 1 DLC is the box and site doesn't say anything about an internet connection being required for the full game.
So either he was fed false info, there is going to be unannounced content, or he was told one of the modes in the direct wasn't going to be finished at launch but it was.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Why did we miss all these people leaking piranha plant? This is the third source that we have found out that says we only are getting incineror, Ken and piranha plant. And all of them are from a couple of months.

Sakurai really is a genius. He picked a character no one in their right mind would believe.
All of them had no or little posts too. People didn't want to entertain the idea since it isn't what they want.

This does show that some people are actually leaking stuff out there though. We may simply not be paying attention to them.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I'm thinking of going all in for my Jill Valentine for DLC support. But I'm still pretty attached to my Midna-in-a-hoodie icon.

What to do, what to dooooo.
Midna's too good to lose
I'm sure Jill's fine too, but I've never played RE

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Well. ****. Hitagi pretty much just bid the speculation scene adieu. How fresh.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Are we suddenly forgetting that Hitagi was confirmed to be false?
Hitagi was never proven to be false, unless you have specific evidence.
Hitagi isn't reliable, I don't trust them at all, they backpedal too much to be trustworthy at all, this should have been the final nail in the coffin.
Vergeben doesn't talk until he's certain and doesn't need to backpedal this way, Hitagi does.
Hitagi hasn't really backpedaled either. His statements on Katalina could be considered backpedaling, but it's a case of jumping the gun similar to Liam Robertson. He had insider information (the Shovel Knight amiibo), but hastily misinterpreted it (Shovel Knight in Smash Bros.). Similarly, Hitagi has insider information (negotiations between Nintendo and Cygames) and hastily misinterprets it (Katalina being in Smash). I guess you could call it backpedaling, but it's not really that.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Hitagi was never proven to be false, unless you have specific evidence.

Hitagi hasn't really backpedaled either. His statements on Katalina could be considered backpedaling, but it's a case of jumping the gun similar to Liam Robertson. He had insider information (the Shovel Knight amiibo), but hastily misinterpreted it (Shovel Knight in Smash Bros.). Similarly, Hitagi has insider information (negotiations between Nintendo and Cygames) and hastily misinterprets it (Katalina being in Smash). I guess you could call it backpedaling, but it's not really that.
Where were you in the last couple of pages

D

Deleted member

So at this point, I think it's safe for me to say Steve is definitive lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom