• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
You know what? Screw the Banjo vs Steve wars.

Just put in Master Chief. Nobody wins.

still need my bear & bird

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The leaked characters we know of, which is to say Steve, maybe the SE rep, the Bamco rep, and the Nintendo swordfighter, may not be happening at all and we're back to square 1.
But didn't we already have 1 square before?

*bah-dum-tiss*

D

Deleted member

What the f***. So Hitagi and Verge could be wrong?
Potentially. The SE rep and Minecraft content might still be right but since it sounds like Verg and Hitagi have the same sources, they might both end up missing the mark on DLC characters.
But didn't we already have 1 square before?

*bah-dum-tiss*
Ah ****
I can't believe you've done this.

Last edited by a moderator:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I'm starting to feel like I'm in the minority for thinking Gen VIII Pokemon > Eldegaurd.

Was Incineroar THAT underwhelming? Has "too many Pokemon" really become a prominent complaint?
Just a few factors for both Incineroar and Pokemon, but I have a jab against Fire Emblem as well so that's not off the hook entirely.
For Incineroar, it's that he's another fully-evolved Fire Starter when we already have one, on top of the fact that it's another safe and basic choice for a Pokemon fighter. Alola gave us Ultra-Beasts and other interesting non-starter Pokemon, what gives? This franchise has a "Tutorial Level" mindset when it comes to reps post Gen 1. All of that being said, Incineroar is a lot of fun to watch, so he's got that going for him.

For Gen 8, we don't know what's in it beyond Meltan. Meltan is adorable, but selling us on the guy just won't do it. Where are the rest? We should acquaint ourselves with the Pokemon first before they're put on a paywall. Fire Emblem Three Houses is guilty of this possibility too. We don't know the characters! We should learn about them and learn to like the characters on our own, and that's another positive Incineroar has on his list. Sure, he's controversial, but at least we got to know him.

All in all, it's Game Freak's behavior with the franchise. They go about it in such an uninspired and boring way that a lot of what they've done lately feels like they're regressing and missing out on a lot of opportunities. Instead, we continuously get Gen 1 after Gen 1 shilling non-stop, and they go about the franchise in such a corporate fashion that the decisions end up being boring and predictable to a fault. They're the anti-Sakurai in more ways than one. That's just my 2 cents though. If we get a Gen 8 'Mon, I just hope it's cool.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I know this video has been shown here already, but this part interests me...

Not being left helpless after Cross Chop for sure guarantees potential useful high recoveries when holding a jump. Obviously, this won't work far below the ledge (although he can grab the ledge at any point during the move), but I'll keep this in mind.

D

Deleted member

While on the topic of trailers, man, the fighting direction was really amateur back in Smash 4. Just look at the gameplay segments and you'll notice how bad they are. Things like showing off the UI in Mac's trailers or explaining how Robin's moveset works are a really bad change of focus for the viewer and the narrations in general weren't any good(Palutena's in particular comes to mind). But just choerography in general? There are a lot of moments where characters don't do anything and just stand around or move too choppily when you want to make these look flashy and smooth.
I think they got it better when they had to stop relying on CG with DLC, I remember Cloud's and Corrin's trailers having some really choreography and it got MUCH better in Ultimate, specially since they got rid of all the unnecessary talking.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To be honest, I can appreciate the fact that a leaker is outright saying their information could very well be bull****. I find it incredibly interesting how it all kind of transpired though. Hitagi started out super confident for over a month in Steve, a Granblue character, and more.

The only thing I think that remains, as far as I know, is the Square Pick. Considering Cloud was evidently "the last veteran added to Ultimate", I think we can at least call the Square Enix character into question.

But hey, back to Square One. To be honest, while I will be sad with probably no Rex (goodnight sweet prince), I am actually QUITE EXCITED that Steve, a character that I am not really of fan of in Smash, is off the table. No offense intended to fans of the character, but I simply dreaded the idea of that happening to be completely honest.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Just a few factors for both Incineroar and Pokemon, but I have a jab against Fire Emblem as well so that's not off the hook entirely.
For Incineroar, it's that he's another fully-evolved Fire Starter when we already have one, on top of the fact that it's another safe and basic choice for a Pokemon fighter. Alola gave us Ultra-Beasts and other interesting non-starter Pokemon, what gives? This franchise has a "Tutorial Level" mindset when it comes to reps post Gen 1. All of that being said, Incineroar is a lot of fun to watch, so he's got that going for him.

For Gen 8, we don't know what's in it beyond Meltan. Meltan is adorable, but selling us on the guy just won't do it. Where are the rest? We should acquaint ourselves with the Pokemon first before they're put on a paywall. Fire Emblem Three Houses is guilty of this possibility too. We don't know the characters! We should learn about them and learn to like the characters on our own, and that's another positive Incineroar has on his list. Sure, he's controversial, but at least we got to know him.

All in all, it's Game Freak's behavior with the franchise. They go about it in such an uninspired and boring way that a lot of what they've done lately feels like they're regressing and missing out on a lot of opportunities. Instead, we continuously get Gen 1 after Gen 1 shilling non-stop, and they go about the franchise in such a corporate fashion that the decisions end up being boring and predictable to a fault. They're the anti-Sakurai in more ways than one. That's just my 2 cents though. If we get a Gen 8 'Mon, I just hope it's cool.
Unrelated to the rest of your post but Meltan and Melmetal are gen 7, not gen 8.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I mean... Sakurai is makes BIG numbers off Smash games. He does overwork himself sometimes and puts himself through a lot of salary, but he gets a completely deserved salary for it. Not saying Sakurai ISN'T a workaholic at times, but he's not doing this work to "please a bunch of ungrateful fans that only want more and more" he's doing this work to make those 7-figures. He doesn't need to be treated like a baby.
Believe me. I never have this kind of attitude towards other games (Pokemon LGPE, for example, are lazy cashgrabs that don't deserve any praise), but Smash and Sakurai are a special exception. Compared to so many other people in the gaming industry, this guy goes above and beyond. I'm just giving him the respect he deserves.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Well I chose a great time to come back.

I mean I did trust Vergeben more than Hitagi when it came to Smash, and it looks like that's beginning to pay off. Vergeben's also been very quiet so that's curious as well.

Anyways I'M BACK ON DLC HYPE BOYS IT COULD BE ANYTHING AT THIS POINT

still curious as to what exactly the minecraft content is then if it's not a character. Maybe we are getting separate stage dlc?

Last edited:

Grunky Peep

Smash Journeyman
While on the topic of trailers, man, the fighting direction was really amateur back in Smash 4. Just look at the gameplay segments and you'll notice how bad they are. Things like showing off the UI in Mac's trailers or explaining how Robin's moveset works are a really bad change of focus for the viewer and the narrations in general weren't any good(Palutena's in particular comes to mind). But just choerography in general? There are a lot of moments where characters don't do anything and just stand around or move too choppily when you want to make these look flashy and smooth.
I think they got it better when they had to stop relying on CG with DLC, I remember Cloud's and Corrin's trailers having some really choreography and it got MUCH better in Ultimate, specially since they got rid of all the unnecessary talking.
The reveals for 4 were the first of their kind, as most of Brawl's reveals were blog posts.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Sakurai doesn’t give 2 ****s about types or evolutions or “safe picks”. He chose Greninja because he liked his moveset potential. Same for Incineroar. He doesn’t choose based on types or evolutions and “another __ type” is not a valid excuse. Incineroar has 0 moves involving fire besides his Up-B.

Sakurai chooses who he thinks would have a fun moveset, not who would be a “safe pick”.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
I really don't like reading peoples fighter pass predictions and seeing "steve" pop up so frequently. The sad thing is that I can't just dismiss it because it can actually happen.

This is a dark timeline.
Wrong. It's an amazing timeline.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
To be honest, I can appreciate the fact that a leaker is outright saying their information could very well be bull****. I find it incredibly interesting how it all kind of transpired though. Hitagi started out super confident for over a month in Steve, a Granblue character, and more.

The only thing I think that remains, as far as I know, is the Square Pick. Considering Cloud was evidently "the last veteran added to Ultimate", I think we can at least call the Square Enix character into question.

But hey, back to Square One. To be honest, while I will be sad with probably no Rex (goodnight sweet prince), I am actually QUITE EXCITED that Steve, a character that I am not really of fan of in Smash, is off the table. No offense intended to fans of the character, but I simply dreaded the idea of that happening to be completely honest.
I wouldn't give up hope on Rex yet, friend.

Way I see it, Sakurai put that Mii costume in as a bonus in case Nintendo didn't give him the option to use Rex as a full character.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I’m especially interested about the Square info that was the only thing that Verge and Hitagi seemed to agree upon 100 percent.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Jones why are you trusting Stealth saying Cloud was the last veteran for Ultimate?

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
So Steve is no longer a lock? Thank Acerus.

Don’t get me wrong, this doesn’t deconfirm him and he’s still likely but now most of us won’t be pressured to know he’s coming.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
They only content announced in the first that they didn't show off in the direct and didn't post on the site is Boss Rush, which was only shown in Sakurai's demonstration, though that suggests that it is finished...
It could be referring to that, it can't really be anything else if it's announced on the site.
**** wait Boss Rush is confirmed?

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Considering him and E.Gadd are Spirits, I doubt Nintendo will choose either of them for Luigi’s Mansion 3 since they’re already promoting it with :ultluigi:‘s new Polterguist.
I don't think we've seen a King boo spirit, just the generic boo, but I could be wrong.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Unrelated to the rest of your post but Meltan and Melmetal are gen 7, not gen 8.
Wait, are they? Hmmmmmm....

Sakurai doesn’t give 2 ****s about types or evolutions or “safe picks”. He chose Greninja because he liked his moveset potential. Same for Incineroar. He doesn’t choose based on types or evolutions and “another __ type” is not a valid excuse. Incineroar has 0 moves involving fire besides his Up-B.

Sakurai chooses who he thinks would have a fun moveset, not who would be a “safe pick”.
Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 6.57.03 PM.png

For the record, I don't dislike Incineroar, but you're overtly defensive over a criticism I have toward a character (which is mostly on Game Freak's part more than anything).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom