• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Looking back today...

Bajeezus, where were the mods this whole time? Like, I’m surprised to see how many tangents, off topic and more intense discussions popped up this past day and no one really trying to stop them.

The reason why the place is better than a lot of other places is because of the modding system we have here, but without it, this place starts to resemble places like GameFAQs. And it makes a bit of sense since GameFAQs doesn’t have a modding system (I think) and a lot of people aren’t stopped for having rabid conversations unless it really, really far.

We don’t seem to have any mods active right now, but please, can we try not to have something to what happened today again? I can see all the sarcastic “Smashboards never change” comments, but today was such a mess to go through, it was extremely annoying more than anything.

Double K

Smash Lord
Wait, what happened to Porygon line and why it's Pikachu's fault?
OKAY, HISTORY TIME

The famous Pokemon episode that made international headlines, was "Electric Soldier Porygon," where Team Rocket fired a rocket launcher at Pikachu and the explosion had a series of flashing lights allternating between red and blue (or was it white), that causes several hundred cases of epileptic seizures. This was a huge deal (as it should be) and in response, the episode was banned from airing again and Nintendo needed a scapegoat to assure it. Can't ban the mascot or the iconic rivals at this point and surely this won't last long enough for us to need to make new anime after we showcase all 151 Pokemon, right?

So the option was to ban Porygon. Since then, Porygon has not been allowed to appear in the anime as an actual focus Pokemon, and this has carried over its forms.

In addition the episode affected the anime industry. If you watch action scenes with bright lights in dark set pieces, there will be a sudden darkening of the screen. This is called the seizure filter, and it persists to this day. Back in the early 2000s and late 90s, we also had warnings fro anime characters telling kids to not watch the show in a dark room, or sit too close to the TV.

KMDP

Smash Legend
User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your message instead)
Wait, what happened to Porygon line and why it's Pikachu's fault?
Look up "Electric Soldier Porygon".

Regardless, Jynx can be based both on the Yama-Uba and Ganguro, you know, the two aren't mutually exclusive. Most Pokémon are based on more than one thing at once.

I don't necessarily consider Jynx racist within the context of it's references, but to an outside observer, it definitely is, and it was a good idea for TPC to change her look.

Oh yeah, this one is REALLY bad because it's reached a point where the Pokemon TCG has to make sure Abra and Alakazam have some way to skip Kadabra, either through game mechanics, or making the version explicitly ignore Kadabra
I just want to know how the hell Uri Geller found out Kadabra was based on him.

Because what are the chances he'd find out Kadabra was called "Yungerer" in Japan in that day and age? Seriously.

Obviously when someone uses a corrupted form of your name in their product, it's Copyright Infringement and not a form of flattery.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
K so, let's assume that for Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate, while music rights and cost for them were why we only got two MIDI songs for Midgar, that still wouldn't stop Sakurai from trying to get more Final Fantasy music into Smash Bros.

New DLC trailer drops. Bunch of characters duking it out on Battlefield or something, Cloud's one of those said characters. It's an in-game trailer. Suddenly,

View attachment 177599

Black feather floats down in front of Cloud. Cue One-Winged Angel. Sephiroth's the Square-Enix rep for DLC, complete with Planet's Core stage. How d'you react?
"This is ****ing stupid. You have the entirety of FF and SE to draw from and you choose another ****ing FF7 character. **** this."
Proceeds to buy it day 1.

Last edited:

Double K

Smash Lord
Look up "Electric Soldier Porygon".

Regardless, Jynx can be based both on the Yama-Uba and Ganguro, you know, the two aren't mutually exclusive. Most Pokémon are based on more than one thing at once.

I don't necessarily consider Jynx racist within the context of it's references, but to an outside observer, it definitely is, and it was a good idea for TPC to change her look.
Yeah, hence why I said "Shared roots"

Jynx's nature of "ice magic blackface" is the yama-uba, but she is 100% visually and personality wise, based off of ganguro. I don't consider her racist and hell, I am fine with her old design. But I think trying to wash away the fact that she is very clearly a parody of ganguro culture is kind of disinginuous to fashion culture

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
K so, let's assume that for Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate, while music rights and cost for them were why we only got two MIDI songs for Midgar, that still wouldn't stop Sakurai from trying to get more Final Fantasy music into Smash Bros.

New DLC trailer drops. Bunch of characters duking it out on Battlefield or something, Cloud's one of those said characters. It's an in-game trailer. Suddenly,

View attachment 177599

Black feather floats down in front of Cloud. Cue One-Winged Angel. Sephiroth's the Square-Enix rep for DLC, complete with Planet's Core stage. How d'you react?
I'd be super hyped since I really like Sephiroth honestly

KMDP

Smash Legend
OKAY, HISTORY TIME

The famous Pokemon episode that made international headlines, was "Electric Soldier Porygon," where Team Rocket fired a rocket launcher at Pikachu and the explosion had a series of flashing lights allternating between red and blue (or was it white), that causes several hundred cases of epileptic seizures. This was a huge deal (as it should be) and in response, the episode was banned from airing again and Nintendo needed a scapegoat to assure it. Can't ban the mascot or the iconic rivals at this point and surely this won't last long enough for us to need to make new anime after we showcase all 151 Pokemon, right?

So the option was to ban Porygon. Since then, Porygon has not been allowed to appear in the anime as an actual focus Pokemon, and this has carried over its forms.

In addition the episode affected the anime industry. If you watch action scenes with bright lights in dark set pieces, there will be a sudden darkening of the screen. This is called the seizure filter, and it persists to this day. Back in the early 2000s and late 90s, we also had warnings fro anime characters telling kids to not watch the show in a dark room, or sit too close to the TV.
I really don't like the Seizure Filter, fortunately the only times I've experienced it is the MHA anime (and only in the openings).

Don't forget that it's not just the Porygon line that can't appear in the anime anymore.

Kadabra can't either, because Uri Geller is a litigious ****.

Double K

Smash Lord
Porygon, Kadabra, and Jynx all just sit next to each other at the bar and cry into their drinks.
They all sit together, reminiscing about how they all used to drink with another pair, Tentacruel and his little brother Tentacool, before the brothers got their lives back together.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I still can't even believe we're getting a game with:

- 76 Playable Characters, from 32 different gaming franchises
- 103 Stages, with 3 Variants each
- 800+ Music Tracks equaling over a full day of music

Even if your favorite character doesn't get in; how can one be mad at a game this big?

And all of this on a cartridge only a little bigger than a quarter. How far gaming has come...

Double K

Smash Lord
I really don't like the Seizure Filter, fortunately the only times I've experienced it is the MHA anime (and only in the openings).

Don't forget that it's not just the Porygon line that can't appear in the anime anymore.

Kadabra can't either, because Uri Geller is a litigious ****.
Oh yeah, this one is REALLY bad because it's reached a point where the Pokemon TCG has to make sure Abra and Alakazam have some way to skip Kadabra, either through game mechanics, or making the version explicitly ignore Kadabra

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I ALREADY LOST MY BOI ISAAC, I CAN’T LOSE LLOYD TOO!

Hitagi, I don’t think your definition of hype is the same as the Smash fan base that you think it is.
All he said was Namco character. He's still in, a few insiders say Lloyd's possible in as well.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I've read this twice, and I still don't understand what the hell you're saying.
That’s a good thing
why use lot words when few words do trick?
To make you question

Even if your favorite character doesn't get in; how can one be mad at a game this big?

And all of this on a cartridge only a little bigger than a quarter. How far gaming has come...
And there’s still 6 more characters and 5 more stages left to go...bringing the numbers up to 108 stages and 80-82 characters (depending on whether or not you count Pokémon Trainer as 1)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Technically four variants with the Stage Hazard toggle. So 412 stages pretty much.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm scared to ask, but what's his problem (I never thought Pokemon anime has so many weird omissions)?

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown

View attachment 177599

I never played Final Fantasy so when Cloud was announced I disliked his inclusion.
After playing him he became one of my favorite characters at Smash4.
I think I'd like to play as Sepiroth too, doesn't he carry a absurdly long katana ?
This is good enough already, our last character was Piranha Plant...
I feel that PP was a strategy to mess your expectations so hard that any character announced as the first DLC will be an improvement.

Double K

Smash Lord
I just want to know how the hell Uri Geller found out Kadabra was based on him.

Because what are the chances he'd find out Kadabra was called "Yungerer" in Japan in that day and age? Seriously.

Obviously when someone uses a corrupted form of your name in their product, it's Copyright Infringement and not a form of flattery.
Legally speaking, he was in the right to try and file lawsuit, but the actual accusations are outlandish, such as saying that Kadabra made him into a nazi caricature

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Oh dear, is the thread glitching out again? Y'all see the issue, right?
I was confused by what you meant, but then I saw replies occurring before the posts they replied to...
Are we breaking the thread again?:smash:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm working on a comic series called "Incineroasts" where Incineroar talks smack on various characters in the roster.
It's gonna be great, I just need to write some jokes...

Is the thread messing up for anyone else?

NineS

Smash Lord
Is it wrong that I still feel strangely optimistic about 2B's chances?
More so, even than when the Smash Speculation Era for Ultimate had started?

I'm already well aware of the fact that Sora, a DQ rep, Geno (unless Hitagi is right), etc. are probably far more likely than 2B, and that I should prepare myself for disappointment.
I'm already expecting those mentioned above as the Square Enix DLC rep, no expectations set for 2B. However, even then I feel oddly optimistic despite the fact I'm already informed and aware of the chances of the many of these characters

Why is this? If the answer is I'm delusional, I wouldn't be surprised. Although, I've always considered myself more of a realist or a pessimist than an optimist. The optimism I currently feel goes against my very being.

Even the Soulcalibur announcement, which should've put a damper on my hopes for her in Smash, didn't affect anything.

Maybe it's because no one has yet to really try to put a pessimistic view on her aside from the release of NieR: Automata or not being on a Nintendo console, the first of which has been rendered pointless by Sakurai's tweet, the second of which has been rendered out of date information via Phantasy Star Online 2 and could potentially be rendered completely out of date via a future port announcement as unlikely and straw-grabby as it may be.

Why can't I feel pessimistic or realistic about her chances for her inclusion, despite the fact so many more Square Enix characters will likely get in before her? Unless this optimist view of mine is realistic, which I doubt, Maybe I've truly gone insane this time around.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

View attachment 177599

As someone who's never played FF7...
Then again, I'm like that with everybody.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I thought I'd go ahead and share my two cents on Assist Trophies. Just because your favorite character is confirmed as an Assist Trophy doesn't mean Sakurai hates that character. Some people seem to have this belief that a character not being in the game at all is better than being an AT, because that means said character could still get in for DLC later. I don't understand this. Simply not being in the base game doesn't make a character likelier for DLC. What I take away from this is that these people want their hopes to be kept alive longer, even if it ends up being all for nothing. That's the only logic I can find here.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Simply not being in the game doesn't make a character likelier for DLC.
No, but it makes them not impossible, which is what people want.

Also if you become an assist trophy, I'm increasingly lead to believe that you will remain that way forever as asset reuse becomes more and more prevalent (Unless you got a recent game coming out or are an easy bake clone)

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
No, but it makes them not impossible, which is what people want.
But what if that character isn't going to be a newcomer for DLC anyways? At that point it's just semantics. It's clinging to hope for something that wouldn't happen anyways. Isn't it better for a character that isn't going to be playable to be disconfirmed for the base game before people cling to false hopes for DLC?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
But what if that character isn't going to be a newcomer for DLC anyways? Is it just semantics?
Well then it wouldn't be confirmed if there wasn't an assist trophy, we'd still be discussing their odds of them happening.
An assist trophy would be a hard and fast "no" that isn't going to change in the base roster or the next year.

Plus, most people into competitive Smash don't even play with items to begin with, so the difference is the same.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Well then it wouldn't be confirmed if there wasn't an assist trophy, we'd still be discussing their odds of them happening.
And what if they don't get confirmed in the end? Won't all of that speculation for DLC have been for nothing? Not only is the character not an Assist Trophy or a Spirit, but it isn't even in the game period. How is that not worse?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
And what if they don't get confirmed in the end?
Then... nothing. Life goes on, just without the confirmation a character is an assist trophy.

Won't all of that speculation for DLC have been for nothing
Yeah.
That's... the entire point of speculation.
It's not like anything we say here contributes to ****ing anything at all.

Not only is the character not an Assist Trophy or a Spirit, but it isn't even in the game period. How is that not worse?
Because it would leave a possibility for them to appear in the future, either via Smash DLC or another entry.
An assist trophy would strike out the former (which is a solid 4-8 years) and lead doubts to the latter.

Plus, there are an extremely large number of people out there who don't really care about either trophies or spirits.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm working on a comic series called "Incineroasts" where Incineroar talks smack on various characters in the roster.
It's gonna be great, I just need to write some jokes...
If he doesn't speak like Rath from Ben 10, you're doing it wrong. :V

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
First off, let me apologize for any of the mods absence in the wake of recent off-Discussion, sexuality/politics discussion, and other things that’s typically not allowed in the thread.

Any warnings or forum notices are too late at this point. While one could say mods are people too with stuff going on but that’s just a poor excuse to be absent when something is going down.

I do want to mention that regardless of the topic, overt sexuality discussion and politics discussion isn’t against the site rules but spam is. Those types of topics are considered spam/off-topic in the Smash Ultimate thread. If you want to discuss that, please use the Debate Hall.

We discussed sexuality for about fifty pages earlier today.
If a moderator wants to bring up my relevant point of view, I will happily point to that conversation.

Yeah. The state of America is much less important than slot number five.
I wanted to high light on this since it seemed to be one of the things people felt required discussion. Regardless the state of our country, world, etc; this is the Smash thread. Not the politics thread.

As for the thread goofing up, it could be because we have so many posts. It was an issue earlier and it seemed to have been fixed. I’ll bring it up with the admins.

Again, sorry for being absent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom