• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So pretty much the only thing Vergeben was on dot was Castlevania to an extent and Isabelle, with the echoes like Dark Samus?
In that case, ****ing oof. That's a bit of a hit.
Not really, people only found this post after Vergeben posted his leak and they scoured the internet for anything similar, and given it was just a deleted post on some random Redditors account I highly doubt Vergeben knew about it himself. I also think he called Ridley before this popped up, but I can't really remember the timeframe.

The wording is very similar though, so I feel like they probably had the same source at least, but it can't really be used against him imo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your messages instead)
So with The Game Awards' nominees to be announced in 9 hours, what do you all expect to be on there? And, with the rumors about a possible DLC reveal at The Game Awards, what ideas would you guys have?

I think if anything Smash-related, Sakurai should at least have an Industry Icon award.

Not really, people only found this post after Vergeben posted his leak and they scoured the internet for anything similar, and given it was just a deleted post on some random Redditors account I highly doubt Vergeben knew about it himself. I also think he called Ridley before this popped up, but I can't really remember the timeframe.

The wording is very similar though, so I feel like they probably had the same source at least, but it can't really be used against him imo.
But what about the anonymous 4chan post, then? Because we have Verge's info, but then we had that and then the 4chan post.
So either multiple people had the same info or something else.

Shroob

Sup?
But what about the anonymous 4chan post, then? Because we have Verge's info, but then we had that and then the 4chan post.
As someone who can actually say that they had information.

Lemme put it this way.

Vergeben was right, but his info was passed around more than a hooker.

The person who contacted ME who I contacted Papa about told me Ken before we even knew Richter was in, and that was before the famous "Trash it, it's missing Ken".

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The anonymous 4chan post only happened a day before the presentation, this was back in May.

I think a lot of insiders knew what was happening with Smash at E3, it seemed like it was an open secret behind the scenes. I don't think there can be any doubt that Vergeben is legit, he's just one of the few who's consistently stuck his head out there and talked about the things that slip through the cracks.

D

Deleted member

The anonymous 4chan post only happened a day before the presentation, this was back in May.

I think a lot of insiders knew what was happening with Smash at E3, it seemed like it was an open secret behind the scenes. I don't think there can be any doubt that Vergeben is legit, he's just one of the few who's consistently stuck his head out there and talked about the things that slip through the cracks.

As someone who can actually say that they had information.

Lemme put it this way.

Vergeben was right, but his info was passed around more than a hooker.

The person who contacted ME who I contacted Papa about told me Ken before we even knew Richter was in, and that was before the famous "Trash it, it's missing Ken".
I guess this makes sense. We practically known jack **** about the game still until that E3 reveal so we all really were out of the dark in terms of pinpointing exact stuff. I still call the leaked info at the end of the day a "failed bust" or "failed leak" because nobody knew in the end, as per all the reactions lol.

IMO, there's a "Leak" and there's a "Failed Leak". A good example would be Simon for a "Leak" where it actually got leaked by officials or stuff was leaked through the grapevines ahead of time, and a "Failed Leak" where the info was out there so people would know, but was posted almost hours until the event of said purpose that nobody would notice/care or otherwise, hence why people said "Piranha Plant wasn't leaked, holy ****!"

In the end, Tomodachi Life 2 please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Something I will say about the supposed leaks of information from Vergeben/Hitagi, is that whether they are right or not (asides Steve from Hitagi being flat-out stated), I do legitimately trust Nintendo when it comes to the line-up of DLC they offered Sakurai to pick from to develop.

Putting any bias aside for the bamboozle that was the "Grinch Leak", Ken & Incineroar were fine enough final additions to a 74+ roster. Smash 3DS/Wii U had DLC that was pretty stellar when you consider the content. A few fan favorite veterans returning, whilst receiving icons like Ryu and Cloud Strife, and a newer fave in Bayonetta (Corrin is a cool design!). They knew what they were doing when they were making DLC. It needs to sell. Steve from Minecraft is a big name, but outside of that if none of the other DLC are genuine big hitter names? I feel it would damage the end result of profit for Nintendo and whichever 3rd party companies get involved.

My point is that I'm confident that the DLC will be fine when you move away from any gloom or "worst case scenario" choices that may be eluded to.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ignoring those question would have raised flag since he's been answering all of them.
And yup. It's to protect his sources, and the best he can tell us is that he heard about DQ characters.

However, he is also being sure. Spirit are spirit, and spirit doesn't have a chance to be DLC, it's not speculation from his part.

And asked about AT/Mii costumes
Wait then that means... *GASP*
*Albus voice*
SHANOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
If we do get another sword fighter than is't Erdrick i am leaning towards Slime being the second SE Rep

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Uh, so, what now?
I think this thread is dead. Maybe we should write an eulogy.

Jokes aside, does anyone had their opinions changed about certain characters by the new videos we got this week?

Iridium

Smash Hero

Jokes aside, does anyone had their opinions changed about certain characters by the new videos we got this week?
I guess :ultyounglink:. I'm kind of conflicted with him now, just because he looks very good as a character, but I still want stick with :ultlink: as a tier 1 main. Seriously, the staggering difference between the two almost pains me, and I still expected it.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

I just want the actual game at this point. I've seen enough of Ike and Zelda to be satisfied. No one is touching Mega Man and figuring out changes and new tech, so if I'm going to discover any practical stratagems with him, I may as well take the initiative and learn of any upgrades.

I'm even more afraid of the Belmonts after finding out they can whip projectiles right out of existence without batting an eyelash.

Smooth Criminal
I mean, they kinda showed it in their debut trailer. As a Mega Man player, I'm used to that kind of bull**** because whip or not, everyone who bumrushes me catches/armors everything I throw at them. I'll figure out how to keep the Belmonts off my back. Somehow.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I guess :ultyounglink:. I'm kind of conflicted with him now, just because he looks very good as a character, but I still want stick with :ultlink: as a tier 1 main. Seriously, the staggering difference between the two almost pains me, and I still expected it.
Funny how Link's design works better with small and nimble characters. But I hope he at least have decent amount of chance against :ultyounglink: and :ulttoonlink: this time.

For me, I'm very excited to try out :ultrobin: and :ultpalutena:. Robin looks really impressive and this time it's a lot easier to tell how much durability his tomes and sword have+visual cues for his Thunder. Palutena just looks more fun, with faster tilts and specials. And her aerials are even better.

Shroob

Sup?
I find it humorous that one of Simon's victory poses is literally a glitch from the original game.

Between that and the Megaman leg twitch, god damn Sakurai puts soo much attention and care in.

KMDP

Smash Legend
:ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink: kind of show just how different three characters with basically the same moveset can play. While I know how they differ, I'm not knowledgeable enough to speak on who will be better and how their differences will benefit them.

:ultlink: - Hits harder than the other two, but is slower to make up for it. His bombs will probably encourage slower, more methodical play.
:ultyounglink: - SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!
:ulttoonlink: - I imagine his floatiness and decent speed will work to his benefit in terms of air-game and keepaway.

D

Deleted member

I'm even more afraid of the Belmonts after finding out they can whip projectiles right out of existence without batting an eyelash.

Smooth Criminal
Who needs a reflector when you can just whip out a projectile and whip your opponent at the same time

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just want the actual game at this point. I've seen enough of Ike and Zelda to be satisfied. No one is touching Mega Man and figuring out changes and new tech, so if I'm going to discover any practical stratagems with him, I may as well take the initiative and learn of any upgrades.

I mean, they kinda showed it in their debut trailer. As a Mega Man player, I'm used to that kind of bull**** because whip or not, everyone who bumrushes me catches/armors everything I throw at them. I'll figure out how to keep the Belmonts off my back. Somehow.
At least his dash attack and forward air are better. Plus, cancelling his dash attack to up tilt might be scary.

Shroob

Sup?
Can you educate this filthy casual?
If you move Megaman like, half a frame in his games, it looks like his left leg twitches ever soo slightly while making him move forward a tiny bit.

You can replicate this perfectly in Smash.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Can you educate this filthy casual?
In the 8-bit Megaman games, when you only move a single pixel, Megaman will twitch his leg. You can do this repeatedly to make him shuffle forward without actually walking.

You can do the same in Smash.

Now, can someone show me the Simon glitch victory pose?

osby

Smash Obsessed
:ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink: kind of show just how different three characters with basically the same moveset can play. While I know how they differ, I'm not knowledgeable enough to speak on who will be better and how their differences will benefit them.

:ultlink: - Hits harder than the other two, but is slower to make up for it. His bombs will probably encourage slower, more methodical play.
:ultyounglink: - SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!
:ulttoonlink: - I imagine his floatiness and decent speed will work to his benefit in terms of air-game and keepaway.
O you Doppelgänger! you pale comrade!
Why do you ape the pain of my love
Which tormented me upon this spot
So many a night, so long ago?

-Zelda, probably.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
In the 8-bit Megaman games, when you only move a single pixel, Megaman will twitch his leg. You can do this repeatedly to make him shuffle forward without actually walking.

https://twitter.com/PJiggles_/status/1062152905107615745

In the original games, if you grabbed the Red Orb which ends the level, Simon should freeze in place until the screen transitions. However, if you grab it while holding down the jump and whip button, you can jump and whip until the transition occurs.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Not really. I still love Yoshi (otherwise the Rapture would kick off :yoshi:) and the characters I'm thinking of playing besides my boi I'll still play...

Shroob

Sup?
Like, the attention to detail is just astounding.

Honestly, to me, the 3rd Party characters are what makes me excited for Smash nowadays, just because I want to see how faithfully Sakurai recreates them and throws in as many references as he can.

He didn't have to include A GLITCH from a single game. But he did, because it's an iconic silly thing from the original Castlevania game.

So if Steve? really is coming to Smash? Great. I fully expect Sakurai to go all out on him.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
For me, the Belmont matchup will probably be "just use Squirtle". Ivysaur won't be able to play her spacing game against them due to being outclassed, and Zard...well he's got good ground speed, but still struggles to approach zoners because of his poor air mobility and large hurtbox. Killing them will be a huge pain for me no matter what though, so I better get practicing on those edge guarding skills when this game drops.

Gosh I'm going to hate those two when the game launches.
Funny how Link's design works better with small and nimble characters. But I hope he at least have decent amount of chance against :ultyounglink: and :ulttoonlink: this time.
Having mobility helps with all play styles in general. Want to be a aggressive? Well, you better have the speed to keep up the pressure. Want to play defensively? Speed is extremely useful in running away. There's a reason top tiers are usually (although admittedly not always) ones with good mobility.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Like, the attention to detail is just astounding.

Honestly, to me, the 3rd Party characters are what makes me excited for Smash nowadays, just because I want to see how faithfully Sakurai recreates them and throws in as many references as he can.

He didn't have to include A GLITCH from a single game. But he did, because it's an iconic silly thing from the original Castlevania game.
I wouldn't be surprised if, were there to be Action Stages in World of Light, you'd be able to do the Boss Gate jump on screen transitions, but only with Mega Man. :laugh:

Iridium

Smash Hero

This.

Honestly not even sure what character i would say has the worst victory animations.

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Now I'm starting to wish some characters got treated like they were 3rd parties.
I guess Shulk's gonna be stuck with his weird on/off buff/debuff moveset now.
Tch, not a huge fan.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
You haven't seen the footage where Simon deletes Dark Samus' Charged Shot with ftilt, have you?

Here, in case anybody else was wondering, too.

Also: I played Dedede in Smash 4. Bumrushing Mega Man meant certain doom for my character. It is arguably one of, if not the absolute, worst MUs in the entire game. The Blue Bomber completely ran roughshod by throwing everything but the kitchen sink at Dedede, effectively shutting him down at the mid-range where he is arguably the most effective. That combined with Dedede's lousy airspeed, bulky frame, weight, and lacking frame data, made him little more than fodder.

You wielded more power than you realized, friendo. Grousing about my pains against him aside, Mega was actually a really solid character.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Young Link being top tier is I guess rather cathartic for Link mains as whole since we can now see our original moveset be top tier for once. But Link in this game I think is going to be one of those characters that I think will grow overtime. Link has a lot of great things in this game. His mobility, while not as good as Young Link's is actually pretty damn decent this time around with even ESAM calling him fast, has great range, he hits really hard, seems to have one of the best edgeguarding tools in the entire game and his bombs can control the stage really well. Heck, Zero seems to realize this, putting Link in the second highest position in high tier in his tier list.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
This is honestly how I feel. So few true Nintendo all-stars are left. Some of them have even had their times pass as well. Sure, I'm always excited to see new successful Nintendo IPs get in to Smash, but now that it's just down to ''Toad and Dixie still aren't playable? I guess we need that new Arms game and a Xenoblade protag!"

The third party inclusions are FAR more exciting. Because there's far more iconic third parties left.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
You haven't seen the footage where Simon deletes Dark Samus' Charged Shot with ftilt, have you?

Here, in case anybody else was wondering, too.

Also: I played Dedede in Smash 4. Bumrushing Mega Man meant certain doom for my character. It is arguably one of, if not the absolute, worst MUs in the entire game. The Blue Bomber completely ran roughshod by throwing everything but the kitchen sink at Dedede, effectively shutting him down at the mid-range where he is arguably the most effective. That combined with Dedede's lousy airspeed, bulky frame, weight, and lacking frame data, made him little more than fodder.

You wielded more power than you realized, friendo.

Smooth Criminal
T o b e f a i r (and no, not that "Fair"), you can achieve similar results with Ness and Lucas if you have them up against Samus instead. A deflected shot going twice as fast as when you shot it is certain to illicit a reaction like, "Wait wut-" before being thrown into the blast zone :vvv

Jokes aside, I know what you mean. Good thing I'm not a Mega Man purist main! :DDD

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Young Link looks great and I think that OoT and MM are both better than WW, but I can't bring myself to ditch Toon Link. Depending on how regular Link fares Toon Link could end up being the least popular of the three :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom