• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
EDIT: Deleted bit, I quoted something twice by mistake?

We must have faith.

There's a lot of videogame movies coming out.. Did I miss any?
Might I remind you that these are the people who created Minions and Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly who gives a flying **** about the Mario movie.
If it's good, yay, it's a decent at best movie we'll forget about later.

If it's a shameless uninspired cashgrab (which it probably will be) it'll be forgotten within the week because Mario is a unstoppable juggernaut.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
People tend to exaggerate how bad Illumination movies really are. They're somewhat boring, unoriginal, and sometimes have a tiny bit of potty humor but they aren't usually absolutely terrible. The animation is still fine enough. I think Minions being spammed everywhere just left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

I would never expect a Mario movie to be some sort of masterpiece of story and character writing anyway, so I'm really not that bothered that Illumination is handling it.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Maybe Sakurai thought that Ridley and K Rool were enough for crowd pleasers and wanted to focus on other characters that were either iconic or relevant
It's simple Metroid and DK are still alive. GS is dead.

Double K

Smash Lord
If it's good, yay, it's a decent movie we'll forget about later.

If it's a shameless uninspired cashgrab (which it probably will be) it'll be forgotten within the week because Mario is a unstoppable juggernaut.
But if it's a total disaster of a tirefire, then it will be remembered to be laughed at for generations to come

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman

We must have faith.
So, a recap of the confirmed video game movies coming soon.
Live-Action Detective Pikachu starring Deadpool.
Mario movie by Illumination
Live-Action Sonic the Hedgehog movie.
A Monster Hunter movie, also Live-action.
A Metal Gear Solid movie, also Live action I think.
And of course, a Live-action Megaman Movie.

I am both disgusted and intrigued by the Det. Pika movie.
I am frightened by what Illumination will do to Mario.
I'm even more frightened of Sonic and live-action being a thing.
And I don't care about MH or MSG.
But Mega Man might be ok.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
But if it's a total disaster of a tirefire, then it will be remembered to be laughed at for generations to come
That would be the best case scenario because then we could return to the good old days of animated LoZ and CDi Link youtube poops.

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
I wonder what's inside Yoshi's eggs..... chocolate?
Palutena's Guidance reference huh?
Now that I think about it, I hope we get the character codecs back. If we don't get Snake's or Palutena's codecs/guidance return maybe we could get the Squid Sisters to talk about the fighters on the Inkopolis stage instead. This might have been discussed, but since Snake handled the character conversations in Brawl and Palutena in Sm4sh, it's possible we might get another series to handle the character conversations for Ultimate. Or I could be wrong, I don't mind if either Snake or Palutena handled the character convo again.

NineS

Smash Lord
If it's good, yay, it's a decent at best movie we'll forget about later.

I'm just hoping it does better than good.

If it does well, it might restore Nintendo's faith in film, and inspire them to try out other things again. TV Shows, more movies of their franchises, etc.

The guy in charge of making the Metal Gear movie says he wants to make a Live Action Metroid movie too, one that takes the franchise back to its roots of isolation.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
It's simple Metroid and DK are still alive. GS is dead.
Exactly. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to put in a character from a dead series, unless the character is iconic, which Isaac is not

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
People tend to exaggerate how bad Illumination movies really are. They're somewhat boring, unoriginal, and sometimes have a tiny bit of potty humor but they aren't usually absolutely terrible. The animation is still fine enough. I think Minions being spammed everywhere just left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

I would never expect a Mario movie to be some sort of masterpiece of story and character writing anyway, so I'm really not that bothered that Illumination is handling it.
My biggest worry is the voice acting. I actually trust that Illumination can put effort into the story, animation and humor if Nintendo was willing to trust them, but I can NEVER see voice acting going well...

Dannish

Smash Apprentice

We must have faith.

The only one of those with potential to be good is Metal Gear.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Kinda related, but I really hope that rumor about a Zelda anime made by the Castlevania Netflix guys is true. Unless the Castlevania anime was trash idk.

D

Deleted member

Mmm I have never been too much of a fan of slapstick kids movies like Illumination. They are not the worst things in the world, it is just the jokes and humor are usually cheap. Also I hate Minions.

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991

We must have faith.

EDIT # 2: I've recently been informed by my sources (the internet) that an official Minecraft Movie is also in the works.
You missed the Five Nights At Freddy's movie, the best one.

Noipoi

Howdy!
My biggest worry is the voice acting. I actually trust that Illumination can put effort into the story, animation and humor if Nintendo was willing to trust them, but I can NEVER see voice acting going well...
As long as both Mario and Luigi are voiced by Vinesauce it's gonna be good.

FreeFox

Smash Lord

Going to bring up the context behind the hate. The reason most people hate illumination is that its image is not healthy for the industry. Their movies are safe (never taking risks) and average. They are also relative cheap to make. They are also making it in the business incredibly well with box office records. If they stay like this, it could end up changnig the industry since why should the competition try hard when its easy to make lots of money without having to make amazing cinematic classics?

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Kinda related, but I really hope that rumor about a Zelda anime made by the Castlevania Netflix guys is true. Unless the Castlevania anime was trash idk.
Season 1 was good. Season 2 I have mixed opinions on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom