• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Yo, I know that y'all are feed-up about Hitagi, but HEY LOOK. Guess who was right about him saying "I haven't heard anything"/"nothing" about some SE-REP (Mainly Sora/Geno/Neku)
But it's also something very important, since he explain the **** that people missinterpret or say about him and Vergeben like Youtubers, and here Papagenos

Source
Wouldn't it be better for him to not respond at all to any SE related questions then? Also he's still replying to "Any info on X character?" questions when he said he won't do anymore of those questions.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Oh we're talking about the Mario movie in here?
I have some amount of hope, since Miyamoto is keeping a close eye on it. As long as a ****ing Goomba doesn't walk in and go "BANANA" and Bowser is his usual badass self (He could be voice by Mike Myers or Dwayne Johnson for all I care) then I'll give it my money.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Rather presumptuous to assume it's only the males :smirk:
Excuse us for being attracted to women.
I love how you assumed it was just guys...
Either way, it got more people accustomed to Granblue, so I'm happy for that at least.
I'm sorry, but did you just actually ****ing say human males in an actual sentence to describe your peers?

What the actual hell
I’m sure you’d be dissing the females if we were swooning over Hector for +10 pages straight.
I am a male and I wasnt drooling for Katalina. And I was there for the whole conversation. If you check my posts, you Will mostly see indifference to the whole thing. But thanks! I love being steretyped! :rolleyes:
Y’all have been missing my sarcastic ass point.

All I was saying how when I logged onto here first thing in the morning, I saw 50 brand new pages and I got an adrenaline rush thinking something big happened.

Only to realize that this thread went into a huge tangent into joking about Grandblue and Katalina stuff.

That adrenaline went straight down into the drain, so I got into a pissy state... sorry I made it sound extremely rude, I was being extremely sarcastic and showing how mad I am when something like this happens only to find out that we were off topic.

Potato_

Smash Lord
So in hindsight over the Detective Pikachu Trailer.. Anyone else get Deadpool vibes from Pikachu?
I mean besides having the same voice actor not really.

The Detective Pikachu doesn't seem to be nearly as self-aware and downright insane as Deadpool.

Also that Simon victory screen is so awesome. Really hope we get more like it than reference stuff about the character. The Incineroar one where he holds the belt is also real good.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
We must have faith.
So, a recap of the confirmed video game movies coming soon.
Live-Action Detective Pikachu starring Deadpool.
Mario movie by Illumination
Live-Action Sonic the Hedgehog movie.
A Monster Hunter movie, also Live-action.
A Metal Gear Solid movie, also Live action I think.
And of course, a Live-action Megaman Movie.

There's a lot of videogame movies coming out.. Did I miss any?

EDIT # 2: I've recently been informed by my sources (the internet) that an official Minecraft Movie is also in the works.
Detective Pikachu looks surprisingly good and creative. It was weird seeing the Pokemon world brought to life in live action in a believable way. That seems to be in good hands.

Mario movie is probably going to be okay. I know people are concerned about Illumination, but I remember hearing that the agreement between them and Nintendo is that if Nintendo doesn't like the direction the movie is going, they can pull the plug at any time. No studio is going to invest millions of dollars into a movie just to have it get canceled like that, so there's a lot of pressure to do it right, which means that we shouldn't worry too much.

Live-action Sonic the Hedgehog movie is going to be a buddy-cop movie with Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik for some reason. That sounds like it's going to be a "so bad it's good" movie where the people in charge, unlike with Detective Pikachu, have no familiarity or respect for the source material.

Same with Monster Hunter. It's being done by the same guy who did the terrible Resident Evil movies. It's going to be a "fantasy world crosses over into the real world" movie, with production shots showing generic army soldiers in the desert. Because that's what Monster Hunter is about, apparently.

Metal Gear Solid movie has been talked about for years, and is probably going to be one of those things that never happens, especially with Kojima being out of the picture. Compared to Detective Pikachu, which was announced in 2016, filmed in 2017, and is slated to release next year, it's hard to imagine that MGS will happen after so many years of being left on the table.

A Mega Man movie is probably the easiest one to make out of any of the movies, but it'd have to be done with respect to the source material, which is uncommon in Hollywood. Given the awful CG TV show we're getting, I wouldn't keep my hopes up.

Minecraft has also been talked about for like five years, so I have doubts it'll happen, but Minecraft is much more broadly appealing and approachable than Metal Gear, obviously, and it's still popular, so it has a chance. Since it's also such a blank slate, there's less potential to screw up, because the story could be almost anything.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, the Detective Pikachu looks fantastic. They pulled off realistic Pokemon very well.

Off-Topic, but the Toy Story 4 movie looks very interesting. I feel like Sporky is going to be a "build-up" character and then sacrifice to save the group.
For those who love a really sweet Castlevania reference.

Now that is a good reference indeed. A very nice touch.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
It's almost like Ryan Reynolds voiced him or something. Wouldn't that be something :yoshi:
No i mean the Pikachu acts like Deadpool.. Meta humor and everything. Granted it made me realize how perfect for the role of Deadpool Reynolds is.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Y’all have been missing my sarcastic *** point.

All I was saying how when I logged onto here first thing in the morning, I saw 50 brand new pages and I got an adrenaline rush thinking something big happened.

Only to realize that this thread went into a huge tangent into joking about Grandblue and Katalina stuff.

That adrenaline went straight down into the drain, so I got into a pissy state... sorry I made it sound extremely rude, I was being extremely sarcastic and showing how mad I am when something like this happens only to find out that we were off topic.
Hey man, I didn't miss the point.
But it was a Woman who started that, i just thought you should know ;)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
My biggest worry is the voice acting. I actually trust that Illumination can put effort into the story, animation and humor if Nintendo was willing to trust them, but I can NEVER see voice acting going well...
Nintendo will make sure voice acting goes greatly well or excellently well, I mean...they’ve gotten much better with voice acting over the years, and Mario can speak long sentences very (though they’re always from interviews and not the games themselves)

D

Deleted member

I had to deal with creepy live action Mr. Mime, so you're gonna have to deal with it too...
Hot take: Mr. Mime was one of the best looking Pokemon they showed in the trailer.
I also noticed earlier that there are Joltik and Emolga in it and they look adorable.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I mean besides having the same voice actor not really.

The Detective Pikachu doesn't seem to be nearly as self-aware and downright insane as Deadpool.
Well OBVIOUSLY it's a kids movie. But you didn't get any vibes of it at all? Like when he was pointing out nobody can understand him. Or how about how far from the point he is with the Mr. Mime that its laughable and then is quick to attack it cuz it insulted him.. I see Deadpool in that.

Noipoi

Howdy!
You know, now that I think about it, if my boi didn't appear in the Mario movie I wouldn't mind. Seriously, of all the characters whose voice acting could go badly , it's him...
Just don't have him talk!
They've gotta million Yoshi voice lines on stand by, they don't need Christopher Walken to voice Yoshi.

Shroob

Sup?
As long as both Mario and Luigi are voiced by Vinesauce it's gonna be good.
:4luigi: "Ey Mario! We're gonna be in a movie!"

:4mario: "Luigi, don't you see? They're whorin' us out for money! We didn't get any say in this!"

:4luigi: "I dunno Mario! I've always wanted to be on the big screen!"

:4mario: "We already were, Luigi. And it was terrible."

Double K

Smash Lord
Imagine this

It's the TGS and SEGA takes the stage. They announce that they have a few announcements to make, and it starts with a trailer.

It's a Japanese city, and an Italian mafioso lookin' dude is talking to a man in a white suit, telling him about some sort of illegal trade. Things start to get heated and the man in the white suit is revealed to be Kazuma Kiryu! It's a new Yakuza game!

The Italian mafioso stands up and cracks his knuckles and Kazuma Kiryu runs into a drop kick, which seamlessly transitions Smash Ultimate, him dropkicking Mario or Luigi.

KAZUMA KIRYU BRINGS THE HEAT

Iridium

Smash Hero
You know, now that I think about it, if my boi didn't appear in the Mario movie I wouldn't mind. Seriously, of all the characters whose voice acting could go badly , it's him...
I'd laugh seeing Gilbert Gottfried voice Yoshi.

Grunky Peep

Smash Journeyman

:4mario: "Luigi, don't you see? They're whorin' us out for money! We didn't get any say in this!"

I need to hear Mario with Joel's laugh.

Noipoi

Howdy!

:4luigi: "That was in the 90s Mario, this one's gonna be different!"

:4mario:"It's illumination, Luigi!"

:4luigi:"How bad could it possibly be?"

:4mario:"God damn it Luigi, you jinxed it!"

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
So I've been looking over Pokemon Let's Go datamine and I know there's people here that don't want spoilers so I won't say much but...

The candy system is stupid.
You get +200 points permanently to every stat for maximum candy (compared to EVs which were only, at max, +63 points to 2 stats). I'm so glad this game isn't designed to be competitive because I just watched a couple games of it on Showdown and it sucks

Also Stealth Rock is a TM but no one learns Rapid Spin or Defog so I hope you didn't like any Fire/Flying/Ice/Bug Pokemon if you're playing against your friends (because that's the only way you don't battle the AI; no online battles with randos rip).

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
It'd be pretty ****ing stupid to give a Mii Costume for Rex meant to make up for the fact he's not playable as a bonus for buying the DLC pack if he's in said DLC pack.
It's not just the outfit, because people can easily argue that Mii Outfits mean nothing with the amount of those that got the playable promotion.

There's also the fact that we get Xenoblade 2 music on top of that. And since each of the Pass's DLC comes with music, there is absolutely no point in giving us music from that game twice.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is not really Vinesauce, but bandwagoning.

:ultluigi:: "We are going to be in a movie!"

:ultmario:: "We are going to make a killing off this, Luigi!".

:ultluigi:: "I will get everyone!"

*Luigi wanders to Bowser's palace.*

:ultluigi:: "Bows-

:ultbowser:: I'M MAKING MAC AND CHEESE, AND NOBODY CAN STOP ME.

Last edited by a moderator:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Dr. Mario is just Mario in a lab coat, yet he's been decloned from Mario over the years. Paper Mario is not just Mario. According to Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, he is his own character in a separate universe from the original Mario's. We have three Links and three Samuses in the roster. I think having three Marios would be fine. Do I think he's likely for DLC? No. But saying that Paper Mario is just another Mario is kind of being disingenuous.
I know, if you notice, I said I'd love to have Paper Mario in the game as his own character (especially if Vivian was included in the moveset..maybe a Down Special to use as an attack evade..though I'd accept Bow for that role either) I do admit though that I'd be afraid of Miyamoto demanding he only reference Sticker Star and Color Splash, which is not what I'd want from the character at all, which is why I'm more neutral on his inclusion.

I wasn't referring to his moveset or saying that as a reason not to include Paper Mario, I was simply saying that, as far as Paper Mario as a series is concerned, Paper Mario IS Mario, they don't refer to him as Paper Mario or anything, so Paper Mario is sort of represented by Mario akin to how Mr. L worked as an alt in Project M for Luigi because Paper Luigi essentially IS Luigi, just 2D instead of 3D. This is also referenced in how Peach uses a Pink Parasol in a similar design to the one used by Paper Peach in Super Paper Mario rather then Parry from Super Princess Peach or the green parasol she used as a weapon and in a way similar to how its used in the aforementioned games and Smash during a cutscene in Super Mario RPG.

Also, as I said, discussing the Mario Canon is a Fools' Errand since the worlds of the various Mario series all kind of seem like they don't fit together, such as the various settings and characters featured in the mainline series, Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, and Mario & Luigi all seeming very different from one another. Paper Mario just features the biggest artstyle shift for the characters, making it more distinct, followed by the slight art style shift used in Mario & Luigi, while the others all feature the same or similar art styles to one another, making them more believable as being in the same continuity.
But even disregarding canon, they're clearly entirely different; in settings, characters, gameplay, basically everything. But I get what you're saying.

Poochy would be hype imo
I wouldn't say entirely different, they all share the same basic settings and locations, such as Paper Mario's version of Princess Peach's castle having a more similar design to Super Mario 64's then, say, Super Mario RPG....though lets be real, every version of Princess Peach's Castle seems to have slight differences from the Super Mario 64 version, aside from the Super Mario RPG one that predates it and has a very different design (which I'm biased towards since I adore Super Mario RPG).
I do think that Paper Mario, from a Gameplay Standpoint, would be a very fun and creative character, especially if he's more based on Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door rather then the latter three games..which I'm very afraid they'd pull from only if Miyamoto demanded it..which, honestly, might be why Sakurai hasn't included Paper Mario..I could see him dropping the character if Miyamoto demanded he be based on Sticker Star and Color Splash akin to how he said he'd have dropped Pac-Man had Namco insisted on the Ghostly Adventures design.

He probably would, but I don't know how much moveset potential he'd have. I know Sakurai can make a moveset for anyone, but I just don't know how many people are clamoring for Poochy (yes, I know, no one was clamoring for Piranha Plant either lol).

D

Deleted member

It's not just the outfit, because people can easily argue that Mii Outfits mean nothing with the amount of those that got the playable promotion.

There's also the fact that we get Xenoblade 2 music on top of that. And since each of the Pass's DLC comes with music, there is absolutely no point in giving us music from that game twice.
They can argue that all they want.
Doesn't change the fact that the costume is DLC ITSELF tied to the Fighter's Pass.
What sense is there for Rex to be a costume and a fighter in the same set?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom