• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yuri Kozukata is Today's Item:

"The protagonist of the Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water game is now an assist trophy. If she gets you with her Camera Obscura you'll be paralyzed for a short time, so watch out!"
This one particularly hurt. I knew she wasn’t too likely as a character but I was still holding out for a Fatal Frame protagonist. Glad though we get to see her and Fatal Frame representation.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I've talked about Rhythm Heaven quite enough already, so how many of you all can I get on the Crash, Doomguy, and Sylux train?
they're all very niche choices. sylux is the one of those i could see happening as an ad for metroid prime 4, but that would have to mean that development on MP4 is going good and they've come up with decent boss fights for him, and in turn given those boss fights to the smash team to be used.

its possible, but i find it unlikely that he's going to happen

3 new metroid reps would rock tho

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You didn't quote the bottom part of that where I said I hated Rex and XC2 lol
Was I insulting you or r/Xenoblade?
I think it was r/Xenoblade because that's verbatum a lot of its logic on Rex.

KMDP

Smash Legend
If it makes you feel any better, I was one of the people that actually kinda liked awakening.
Awakening as in Fire Emblem: Awakening?

It's a fine game. Unbalanced as all hell because IntSys misjudged how broken the Pair Up system would be, but good.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Noi, HOW COULD YOU?
you were supposed to hate it, NOT SUPPORT IT!
Oh don't get me wrong, I still think i'll hate it. I expect to have -0 fun while i'm playing it. But the call of Meltan was too strong for me too ignore.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
they're all very niche choices. sylux is the one of those i could see happening as an ad for metroid prime 4, but that would have to mean that development on MP4 is going good and they've come up with decent boss fights for him, and in turn given those boss fights to the smash team to be used.

its possible, but i find it unlikely that he's going to happen

3 new metroid reps would rock tho
The only reason I've hopped on the Sylux train is because somebody noticed that 5 of Dark Samus' alts are based on the Metroid Prime Hunters, but not Sylux.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
The only reason I've hopped on the Sylux train is because somebody noticed that 5 of Dark Samus' alts are based on the Metroid Prime Hunters, but not Sylux.
i know, its super weird, but there's way more things going against him than for him

again i would LIKE him, but i'm not expecting him to happen

R O F L

Smash Ace
any chance of elma being a DLC candidate?
I doubt it. Even if Xenoblade X gets a port, wouldn't they have had to have planned Elma before XC2 was announced? (because we know X2 was announced after they finalized the roster.)

I'm probably missing something.

kylexv

Smash Master
I don't know why, but Melmetal's design is just so funny to me:
Mom said it's my turn with the Switch.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Oh don't get me wrong, I still think i'll hate it. I expect to have -0 fun while i'm playing it. But the call of Meltan was too strong for me too ignore.
You could have waited a few years when inevitably Meltan gets released as a Wi-Fi gift to all Gen VIII players.

Just sayin;.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
you

you know you can only get meltan in pokemon go right

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Look on the bright side.
With the language Sakurai used, he clearly would've put him in if time allowed.
A similar situation was there with the Inklings, so I think it's safe to say that Rex has a pretty good chance for Smash 6.

Unless, they make XC3 in the internim.
Not counting on it tbh. Rex's only realistic chance is a Season 2 Fighter's Pack. It's Ultimate or bust. Even if Smash 6 exists for some reason, you can bet that it'll have way less characters and a ton of favorites gone, or he'll just not be in at all anyway.

There is no "next time" for Rex. Sakurai is going to forget about him or lump him into an inferior sequel where he misses out on all the characters we're getting for this game.

Noipoi

Howdy!
You could have waited a few years when inevitably Meltan gets released as a Wi-Fi gift to all Gen VIII players.

Just sayin;.
That's not how the Noipoi rolls. If he's gonna get a mythical he's gotta get it himself.

you

I know, that's why I spent the last four months collecting Pokemon in Pokemon Go so I can get a ton of Meltan.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Eh, Pokemon GO has definitely improved a lot. Just got back into it, and they've started adding Sinnoh Pokemon (first Pokemon game btw), added trading and friends, and have constant events going on that make the Pokemon more diverse. Maybe it's because I live on a college campus, but I dunno.

Also, the game now tracks steps while you're not playing it, and it is literally the best feature created by mankind.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Lucky for me, most of said amazing games moved on to the Switch (though all I need left are Super Mario 3D World and Rainbow Curse.
Yeah, at least Robin uses magic. The sword is only incidental. Corrin though...
and maybe a Switch port of Star Fox Zero to make people like the game
I think the word "deserve" shouldn't be used. I think "justified" is better. Mario and Pokemon are big, flagship series that are well-known, so more representation will appeal to more people. Having, for example, 6 Kid Icarus characters sounds strange because modern-day Kid Icarus only has one game and it also isn't as popular as Mario or Pokemon. It's not necessarily that it isn't "deserving" (which makes it sound inferior), it's just that it's not justified for where it stands in the grand scheme of things.
Yeah 6 reps from Kid Icarus does sound weird...but the entire cast as playable characters sounds perfectly balanced to me

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
you

Once you get it in Go, you can actually send it back into Let's Go. We haven't heard if Let's Go is going to have Pokemon Bank compatibility though, so who knows if you'll be able to send it into Pokemon 2019 from there?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think at this point Elma’s best chance is a XCX port.

Not just because i’m biased, but with the DLC story being added and the massive popularity of the duo, I firmly believe Rex and Pyra would be added. But that’s me.

Idon Idon I agree that he’d probably be in if he were out before Smash started. But I also feel that he was mainly referring to base roster.

Now, I don’t know that they would waste resources on a Rex costume if they were just going to add him, but then again we have numerous costumes of characters who are playable already, so who freaking knows at this rate?

Basically, I just feel that at the very least Rex is in better shape than Spring Man. RIP.

EDIT: Lastly, i’ve Got about 120 responses so far in my poll. I’d love to get more data, so if you get the chance gimme your thoughts!

(Link is some ways back, and I don’t have it on mobile. You can always PM if you’re REALLY interested, and i’ll get back to you tomorrow!)

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Once you get it in Go, you can actually send it back into Let's Go. We haven't heard if Let's Go is going to have Pokemon Bank compatibility though, so who knows if you'll be able to send it into Pokemon 2019 from there?
I'm pretty sure Masuda said they're working on something that'll make it so you can trade Pokemon to gen 8.

Also, fun fact. LGPE may be the last Pokemon games Masuda directs before he steps down as a director.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
That's not how the Noipoi rolls. If he's gonna get a mythical he's gotta get it himself.

I know, that's why I spent the last four months collecting Pokemon in Pokemon Go so I can get a ton of Meltan.
you know you have to get that pokeball thing to do it right

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Not counting on it tbh. Rex's only realistic chance is a Season 2 Fighter's Pack. It's Ultimate or bust. Even if Smash 6 exists for some reason, you can bet that it'll have way less characters and a ton of favorites gone, or he'll just not be in at all anyway.

There is no "next time" for Rex. Sakurai is going to forget about him or lump him into an inferior sequel where he misses out on all the characters we're getting for this game.
Eh that's a good point.
Honestly at this point I've no idea what Sakurai plans to do at this point as the "no cut policy" he loves is clearly dipping into the resources for other things.

Whatever the cuts inevitably turn out to be, I hope they're for the total betterment of the game.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Despite my better judgement I just preordered Let's Go Pikachu. I feel so disgusted with myself.
If the Pokemon series devolves into total mobile garbage in the next year, you know who to blame!
View attachment 176783
I'm in the same boat. The last trailer and Green/Blue alone has given me enough reason to at least try it.

I literally got convinced over a fictional girl I like.

I'm top tier trash :V

Noipoi

Howdy!
you know you have to get that pokeball thing to do it right
No you don't.
All you have to do is transfer a Kanto Pokemon from the app the a Let's Go game. That opens a box in the app that lures Meltan to your location.
Once you've caught some you can send them to the game. You don't need the pokeball plus.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ain't leaving the Dragonborn train
Yes! I’m not alone on this train!
Despite my better judgement I just preordered Let's Go Pikachu. I feel so disgusted with myself.
If the Pokemon series devolves into total mobile garbage in the next year, you know who to blame!
View attachment 176783
It’s ok, I preordered it ages ago. The dumbing down of the mechanics hurst a lot, so it’ll be tough.

But on the other hand, rideable Arcanine. Oh, and Kanto on the big screen.

I hope it’s pretty much yellow otherwise, since I need my Smash team :007::006::002: and I’ll take :025::059::150: to round it off.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Also, fun fact. LGPE may be the last Pokemon games Masuda directs before he steps down as a director.
*sighs*

Always good to go out with a bang, huh?
Yeah 6 reps from Kid Icarus does sound weird...but the entire cast as playable characters sounds perfectly balanced to me
There were going to be six KI reps.

But then Thanos visited the Kid Icarus world before they could leave to join Smash 4.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
We really need Sakurai to make a statement on when the DLC was chosen like he did with the project plan. I know he said on his Twitter that the DLC line-up was now complete, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was completed right that day. He could've just said it to show the roster was solidified. It would make sense to know the fighters before announcing the pass, but I dunno. If he's had this much time to work on Pirahna Plant, then I'm sure he had the DLC fighter's move sets designed already, right?

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Yikes, it seems Xenoblade is certainly a point of contention in this thread.
any chance of elma being a DLC candidate?
I'm rooting for Elma, but I saw in the Elma thread recently someone posted the sales of XCX, which was 500,000 units apparently, which, quite frankly, is abysmal. I'm fairly certain awareness of Elma has doubled because of the XC2 DLC if that's the case.

I said it in that thread and I'll say it again: I think Elma's chances are if she's one of the last DLC characters and they're planning on doing a XCX2 sometime in 2020 or so and they announce it alongside her or around the same time.

As for Rex...I'm not sure. I only want Rex AND Pyra. I'm a little torn on their chances, but I'll be super happy if they're in.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'm in the same boat. The last trailer and Green/Blue alone has given me enough reason to at least try it.

I literally got convinced over a fictional girl I like.

I'm top tier trash :V
Buying a game simply because a character you love is in it? I have no idea what you're talking about....

:yoshi:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
We really need Sakurai to make a statement on when the DLC was chosen like he did with the project plan. I know he said on his Twitter that the DLC line-up was now complete, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was completed right that day. He could've just said it to show the roster was solidified. It would make sense to know the fighters before announcing the pass, but I dunno. If he's had this much time to work on Pirahna Plant, then I'm sure he had the DLC fighter's move sets designed already, right?
No we do not

NineS

Smash Lord
Reason #9,789 why I would like 2B in Smash.

She'd be the first character to be a model...

... and have her photos taken by her creator and producer.
Did I mention the photos were for charity? Very Charitable.

Are there any other characters this charitable, and have had their creator take photos of them in person?

I mean, unless you're :ultkirby:, :ultmario:, :ultluigi:, :ultpiranha:, :ultrob:, and :ultisabelle:, maybe a few others, probably not.

Charity for Smash!
oh, right, and 2B too please.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
I'm pretty sure Masuda said they're working on something that'll make it so you can trade Pokemon to gen 8.

>Pokemon LGPE as last pokemon game that Masuda will direct before he steps donw as director

wait is this true, If yes and then pokemon gen 8 game may have good shot at better plot than the rushed plot that was pokemon sun and moon, a plot to match up with pokemon BW and B2W2.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
the problem with ultimate is that no matter what the next game is going to be disappointing. i'd honestly rather have this take on a "live service" model than just let it be standalone + five characters that might not even be good

they can do it without sakurai too, i'm sure that the hundreds of people working on the game know how to make good character movesets by now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom