• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
yeah. i am. everything i just said is actual facts. waddle dee is insanely popular in japan, well recognized across the rest of the world, and generally has a lot of potential. its a no brainer and the fact he didn't get into the base roster is a conundrum wrapped inside an enigma

but you also seem like you have really bad opinions, so i probably can't convince you otherwise

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
By all definitions Sm4sh is the best game in the series imo. But where it fails is just, identity. Like, take a look at the rest of the series.

64 - The classic one, the OG.
Melee - The hardcore, competitive, and massively expanded sequel.
Brawl - The less competitive, more party-based threequel with a more realistic artstyle.
Ultimate - Literally everything packed into a single sexy cartridge.

All those games have identities, they stand out as being themselves in the lineup of Smash games. But Sm4sh just.. doesn't. This is most well represented by the title. All of the other games, with the exception of the original, all have a hype subtitle to give it it's own legacy and importance. But for the 4th game, it's just.. Smash Bros. For Wii U and 3DS. With this in mind, it merely presents itself as "just another Smash game". This cn even be heard in the game's main theme - while all others seem to portray some sort of large amount of hype for what you're about to get into, as if it's hyping you up for the next big Smash Bros. game, (besides the OG, but it's the OG) but for Sm4sh, it just sounds.. super generic. There's a bit of that hype, but not as much as it's peers.

That's just my opinions ofc.
Smash 4's identity is "the Smash game split over two consoles".

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
What if Nintendo picked an ARMS character and we got Twintelle?

She's got a float like Peach and has a pseudo-Witch Time effect while floating or charging attacks (it's more for defensive play, rather than setting up combos). Plus it'd be cool to actually have someone fight with their hair.

My quick moveset sketch would be:
Neutral Special: Charge. Charge up your hair-arms to boost their power and unlock their elemental effects. Incoming attacks are slowed down via Actress Aura, and you can perform any dodge out of this move.
Side Special: Rush. A quick 1-2-3 punch combo uncharged. When charged, this is a fullout 9 hit combo with a powerful finisher.
Up Special: Actress Assault. The hair-arms propel forward and Twintelle launches in their direction when they attach to something. Think slingshot.
Down Special: ARMS change. Swaps between Chilla, Thunderbird and Parasol arms. The moveset doesn't change, but it changes the properties of her attacks.
  • Chilla is the strongest and freezes foes when fully charged.
  • Thunderbird is the fastest, and has a paralyze effect when fully charged.
  • Parasol blocks projectiles while travelling, and has increased knockback when fully charged (with a wind effect).
Just for the sake of balancing Simon and Twintelle:
-Her hair while doing attacks have a hurtbox unlike Simons (Maybe, don't know if he has one)
-Deals less damage
-Her hair goes back from their attacks more slower than Simon's

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
DLC Predictions:
71. Sora -
Sora.png
First dlc character revealed and will cause a lot of hype. The reason the first character is a big fan favourite like Sora is to bring a lot of attention to the game and to sell a lot of season passes and trick people into buying it before they know about Steve and Katalina.

72. Minecraft Steve -
unnamed.png
Nintendo and Microsoft have been very close with Minecraft, working together with the Mario mashup pack. Minecraft is even featured on Nintendo's site now. Minecraft is one of the biggest franchises in the world and is huge is kids.

73. Katalina -
480px-Katalina_B.png
Nintendo brought into this companies stock and have a big mobile presence now so I think this'll happen. I think Nintendo will bring Granblue over to the west and publish it over here. And I guess people in Japan would be hype over it. With Nintendo picking characters instead of Sakurai it makes more sense why she was picked.

74. Sylux -
250px-Sylux_mph_Artwork.png
The advertising character this time. Sylux will be the main villain of Metroid Prime 4 and will likely be very prominent in marketing material. Metroid Prime 4 is Nintendo's big Mario, Zelda Smash game next year and they'll want to promote it the best they can. I think that with MP4 they want Metroid to become an even bigger series than it already is and Sylux in Smash would help that.

75. Doomguy -
We know Bethesda have been talking with Nintendo about Smash. Doomguy is very important to gaming history making the 1st person shooter become what it is today. He would be unique and stick out among the cast. Moveset would be a bit toned down like this -

KMDP

Smash Legend
ACHTKUALLY Smash 4 is Smash 3DS, and Smash Wii U is Smash 5.
t. Sakurai himself
Oh yeah, forgot about that little detail.

So, to reword it: "Two Smash Games released at nearly the same time, neither of which feel like a complete package on their own because development time was spent producing the other one".

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Are we totally 100% sure Sakurai isn't helping in picking the DLC this time around or is it just "it happened before so it's totally gonna happen again" beehive mindset?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's become such a forced blanket term that it may as well be synonymous to the phrase, "I only want characters my grandmother can call out", which is too safe, boring as sin, and requires no imagination or even thinking. Part of the charm in crossover games is the potential to add characters across eras no matter how well their origins were, will be, or even matter. Their inclusion in Smash at all is acknowledgement of what they've done, what they will do, and where they are in time that will remind people that, "Yep, this character is in Smash. I still can't wrap my head around it."

I petition we get rid of the word "relevancy" in our vernacular, at least for Smash. It can go burn in the pits of Zebes for all I care.
Preach it, comrade. It is a bit disheartening that many of my character wants are currently suffering from lack of support. "You won't know until you try", as one says. People are treating this like it's Smash 4's roster, for Palutena's sake.

There are no boundaries for who people should ask for. Is the character from a third party? A game series that isn't that known in Japan or America? US-only? A dead series? Who cares, just go for it!

Characters that got recent exposure are certainly guaranteed to show up sooner or later, but that shouldn't be the be all, end all of requesting, otherwise scraping the bottom of the barrel would happen sooner than we think.

She's got one big flaw, though.
She's not Min Min, who as we all know is best best.
Actually that'd be really cool!

She gets stronger by having the dragon arm and the goal is maintaining the powered up form.

gah ARMS has too many cool character designs!
Dr. Coyle is where it's at.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

She's got a float like Peach and has a pseudo-Witch Time effect while floating or charging attacks (it's more for defensive play, rather than setting up combos). Plus it'd be cool to actually have someone fight with their hair.

Neutral Special: Charge. Charge up your hair-arms to boost their power and unlock their elemental effects. Incoming attacks are slowed down via Actress Aura, and you can perform any dodge out of this move.
Side Special: Rush. A quick 1-2-3 punch combo uncharged. When charged, this is a fullout 9 hit combo with a powerful finisher.
Up Special: Actress Assault. The hair-arms propel forward and Twintelle launches in their direction when they attach to something. Think slingshot.
Down Special: ARMS change. Swaps between Chilla, Thunderbird and Parasol arms. The moveset doesn't change, but it changes the properties of her attacks.
  • Parasol blocks projectiles while travelling, and has increased knockback when fully charged (with a wind effect).
No... She's not Min Min-
Twintelle's only popular because of her... you know...
Min Min actually has some variety and personality
Case Closed

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
DLC Predictions:
71. Sora -
View attachment 176568
First dlc character revealed and will cause a lot of hype. The reason the first character is a big fan favourite like Sora is to bring a lot of attention to the game and to sell a lot of season passes and trick people into buying it before they know about Steve and Katalina.

72. Minecraft Steve -
View attachment 176569
Nintendo and Microsoft have been very close with Minecraft, working together with the Mario mashup pack. Minecraft is even featured on Nintendo's site now. Minecraft is one of the biggest franchises in the world and is huge is kids.

73. Katalina -
View attachment 176570
Nintendo brought into this companies stock and have a big mobile presence now so I think this'll happen. I think Nintendo will bring Granblue over to the west and publish it over here. And I guess people in Japan would be hype over it. With Nintendo picking characters instead of Sakurai it makes more sense why she was picked.

74. Sylux -
View attachment 176572
The advertising character this time. Sylux will be the main villain of Metroid Prime 4 and will likely be very prominent in marketing material. Metroid Prime 4 is Nintendo's big Mario, Zelda Smash game next year and they'll want to promote it the best they can. I think that with MP4 they want Metroid to become an even bigger series than it already is and Sylux in Smash would help that.

75. Doomguy -
We know Bethesda have been talking with Nintendo about Smash. Doomguy is very important to gaming history making the 1st person shooter become what it is today. He would be unique and stick out among the cast. Moveset would be a bit toned down like this -
Yeah, this is a great dlc list.

I'd swap Katalina for Heihachi since talks might have fallen through

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Have they ever picked a supporting character over a main character?

D

Deleted member

Ahh the Splash Screen.

At this point Tots I think that's the only Geno Splash Screen we're gonna get.

Hold me.
hey you ignored what I said above nice don't pay attention to that thank you

Pssh. We will. I never stop believin' in anything, so you shouldn't either.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Ohhhhhh, now I see why Katalina is not wanted much at all:

It's because Gatcha games in terms of concept, are not exactly about fun, or some great stuff, it's about having an option of paying actual money to get something you might win big with. Which is unlike other genres, where even if some have microtransactions in it, the game itself is also a core experience.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Are we totally 100% sure Sakurai isn't helping in picking the DLC this time around or is it just "it happened before so it's totally gonna happen again" beehive mindset?
Well this is all coming from the tweet he did, but it still sounds like he's involved slightly.

Nintendo gives him a couple of names that they chose and then he decides which ones they can do/are feasible development wise. So in that sense he can choose, just out of a limited pool that Nintendo gave him.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
DLC Predictions:
71. Sora -
View attachment 176568

72. Minecraft Steve -
View attachment 176569

73. Katalina -
View attachment 176570

74. Sylux -
View attachment 176572

75. Doomguy -
Somewhat agree. I feel though that they'd pick an Fire Emblem Three Houses (Byleth or Edelgard) character over Sylux. I also don't know about Doomguy though I think he'd be a cool addition.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
A major factor going forward on DLC for Nintendo newcomers is whether having a spirit already in the game de-confirms them as DLC. Right now we have two major characters from veteran franchises that have not had a spirit spotted among the 300+ that are known about: Bandanna Dee and Elma. If they both seem to have spirits missing from Ultimate (especially Bandanna Dee who has multiple games where artwork of him can be pulled from), then it will become obvious that they are going to be two of our DLC fighters.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Well this is all coming from the tweet he did, but it still sounds like he's involved slightly.

Nintendo gives him a couple of names that they chose and then he decides which ones they can do/are feasible development wise. So in that sense he can choose, just out of a limited pool that Nintendo gave him.
Basically those map votes you see at the end of a match in GMod.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion

It's because Gatcha games in terms of concept, are not exactly about fun, or some great stuff, it's about having an option of paying actual money to get something you might win big with. Which is unlike other genres, where even if some have microtransactions in it, the game itself is also a core experience.
no its because adding a mobile game character from a japan only game would be the worst marketing move you could make on all accounts

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The fact that he said "only buy this if you're confident in the characters we will release" kinda tells me that at least one of these will piss people off
The only thing that matters is if it pisses me off.
it will.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I don’t appreciate being told I have bad opinions. I just have different opinions then a lot of people here. I’m sorry I don’t like Nintendo’s franchises. I’m sorry I don’t like the idea of a playable hat goomba. I’m still tried to be funny in expressing my disbelief. I’m sorry that there’s apparently some sort of hierarchy based on how long you’ve been here. And I’m sorry that I can’t delete my account to get away from this place that i’m clearly not welcome on.

LetterO

Smash Lord
With Nintendo picking characters instead of Sakurai it makes more sense why she was picked.
Misconception. Nintendo gave Sakurai a list of characters, and Sakurai chose the 5 he wanted to make into characters. Nintendo didn't choose the characters, they just gave Sakurai a list to choose from.

KMDP

Smash Legend

It's also because Katalina is a literal "who?" character in the West.

D

Deleted member

ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME WITH THE THUMBNAIL.

REALLY, NINTENDO. REALLY, NINTENDO.

At this point I think they're out to get me. This is assault.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Also Dr. Coyle would be a sweet ARMS character as well because she's so different from other characters:
  • She levitates, and increases her vertical height via tapping/holding jump. She will slowly lose height overtime, and she has a jump 'tank' ala ROB so she can't hold it forever.
  • Because she is airborn the whole time, she has the ability to perform Smash attacks, shield and the regular grab in the air.
  • Charging her moves gives her a third arm to attack with, giving her a 'pseudo Nana' for attacks.
  • She can borrow Palutena's disappearing dodges, which references her ability to vanish
This, imo, would be the coolest ARMS character because she would feel so different from the other Smash characters. I just don't know how she'd interact with Arceus Gravity though (unless her lowest height is considered her 'grounded' state).

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I don’t appreciate being told I have bad opinions. I just have different opinions then a lot of people here. I’m sorry I don’t like Nintendo’s franchises. I’m sorry I don’t like the idea of a playable hat goomba. I’m still tried to be funny in expressing my disbelief. I’m sorry that there’s apparently some sort of hierarchy based on how long you’ve been here. And I’m sorry that I can’t delete my account to get away from this place that i’m clearly not welcome on.
Nahhh man, I was just being rough as a joke-which I shouldn't have done since we don't know each other.
You're absolutely welcome here-don't let my stupidity get you down-there's no hierarchy. At this point most of us are just buds.
We'd love to have you around. Seriously. If I scared you at all; I'm just a fool who wants Geno and blabbers about mostly that all day. Please don't feel bad because of a dumb joke I made.
We've all got opinions here; express them, don't let comments like mine get you down :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom