• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
How are things going?

Is the doom and gloom still settling in? Are we at utter Chaos yet?

By the by, the new Kirby Star Allies DLC looks pretty sick! I don't know much of the new stuff, but that got me hype.

Nintendo can do some good! Ehhh? EHHHHH!?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Granblue may not happen because Hitagi said they may not have even gotten past the negotiation stage, with Vergeben mentioning that as well.

Plus Hitagi is the reason we even discussed Granblue in the first place.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
74. Sylux -
View attachment 176572
The advertising character this time. Sylux will be the main villain of Metroid Prime 4 and will likely be very prominent in marketing material. Metroid Prime 4 is Nintendo's big Mario, Zelda Smash game next year and they'll want to promote it the best they can. I think that with MP4 they want Metroid to become an even bigger series than it already is and Sylux in Smash would help that.
Do we have any evidence that Metroid Prime 4 is coming next year? As far as I'm concerned, Pokemon is their big Switch title for next year.

The problem with Sylux, though, is that all the talk of him being in Smash is due to the promise of the character, not the character itself. So far, he's only had one not-very-prominent game appearance, and two teases. He hasn't actually played a significant role in any game or media yet.

The reason people talk about him is because he will appear again, and he will be prominent. But there's no hard confirmation of any of that yet, and it wouldn't be wise to put in a character whose big appearance hasn't even happened yet, especially when there's so much that can change between now and that appearance. His design, his powers, his story, all of that isn't final until the game is gold, which Metroid Prime 4 is far from.

Speaking of his design, it's... not great at the moment. He only has two textures: shiny blue and glowy green. That works for a DS game, but for Super Smash, that's going to look ugly. I imagine his design will be very different the next time he appears.

I know he'll come back in Metroid Prime 4, and I hope it's awesome and that he brings something new and interesting to the series. At that point, yes, we should put him in Smash. But there are plenty of other characters from games that are already out that are worthy of entry. Putting one in who hasn't earned it in any way doesn't make sense.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
there's basically no plans to release the game over here from what i can tell, so i doubt that even if she in smash it would be brought over here

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Are we totally 100% sure Sakurai isn't helping in picking the DLC this time around or is it just "it happened before so it's totally gonna happen again" beehive mindset?
Here's the quote
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s DLC line-up is now complete. This time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo. I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection, then come up with the plan.
From how it sounds, it seems like Nintendo picked it and they come up with the moves. It could be that he got a list as he said "I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection" though it seems odd in the context. Regardless, Nintendo made the call.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Preach it, comrade. It is a bit disheartening that many of my character wants are currently suffering from lack of support. "You won't know until you try", as one says. People are treating this like it's Smash 4's roster, for Palutena's sake.

There are no boundaries for who people should ask for. Is the character from a third party? A game series that isn't that known in Japan or America? US-only? A dead series? Who cares, just go for it!

Characters that got recent exposure are certainly guaranteed to show up sooner or later, but that shouldn't be the be all, end all of requesting, otherwise scraping the bottom of the barrel would happen sooner than we think.
I feel like we're slowly reaching that point, sadly. I hope Nintendo pulls through with the list and provides an interesting array of characters Sakurai can use, otherwise we'll be dealing with choices that "make sense" for all the wrong reasons. Big Wigs aren't the only ones at fault for uninteresting corporate decisions however.

Just look at Combofiend's footprints on Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite. On one hand, fantastic gameplay. On the other, a garbage roster of characters. Then for people who just aren't in the business itself, there's bringing up ideas like "Hey, what if they make a Nintendo vs. Capcom game? Wouldn't that be sweet?" Cue elitists and angry fanboys raiding about how they don't want "Peach to beat up Sigma with her tears" or some other spiteful and ignorant comment toward Nintendo. Speech is Power, after all, and numbers aren't always a good thing.

This whole situation is complicated, but I feel the key to it is to take the good with the bad. As I've said before in this thread, the advertised characters aren't inherently bad depending on the context. The ones that are bad are based on what's relevant now which narrows down the pool of characters, and no guarantees they're even fun ideas for Smash. There's a potential roster out there consisting of characters we've been knowing about for a decade or so that will make it into Smash because something else is in the works for them

I get that a lot of people got mad at Isabelle's announcement, but if anything, her inclusion in Smash was a good thing for the reason above: Up until now, we didn't know there would be an Animal Crossing announcement, but her inclusion foreshadowed that anyway. The same could potentially apply to franchises that are currently hibernating. Can you imagine some of them coming out of the dark once more for another hurrah? It's the advertising done right.

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
I wish they’d just tell us who’s in the pass. Ideally they’d do what they did with Mewtwo and show us the WIP models, but they could just give us a text list and i’d be happy. I’d actually know if I have reason to be hyped, instead of the kind of anti hype not knowing tends to instill.
They're not showing it to boost the season pass sales. It is only worth it if you buy all 5, for 25$. What if they reveal the list of characters and you don't like all of them? Even if you like 4 out of 5, it's still slightly cheaper to buy them individually (24$) than the season pass (25$). And they probably know most people are not going to like all the DLC newcomers, so they just keep it hidden, letting the hype alone get people to buy the pass.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Here's the quote
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s DLC line-up is now complete. This time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo. I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection, then come up with the plan.
From how it sounds, it seems like Nintendo picked it and they come up with the moves. It could be that he got a list as he said "I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection" though it seems odd in the context. Regardless, Nintendo made the call.
We went through this song and dance yesterday.

The thing that makes the most sense is Nintendo MAY have had more than 5 characters for Sakurai to pick from. How many more? Just speculation.

Which would make Sakurai's comment have more context.

EDIT: I misread a bit. You and I get it. lol

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
They're not showing it to boost the season pass sales. It is only worth it if you buy all 5, for 25$. What if they reveal the list of characters and you don't like all of them? Even if you like 4 out of 5, it's still slightly cheaper to buy them individually (24$) than the season pass (25$). And they probably know most people are not going to like all the DLC newcomers, so they just keep it hidden, letting the hype alone get people to buy the pass.
and even then all the dlc characters will be leaked before piranha plant even comes out

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Do we have any evidence that Metroid Prime 4 is coming next year? As far as I'm concerned, Pokemon is their big Switch title for next year.

The problem with Sylux, though, is that all the talk of him being in Smash is due to the promise of the character, not the character itself. So far, he's only had one not-very-prominent game appearance, and two teases. He hasn't actually played a significant role in any game or media yet.

The reason people talk about him is because he will appear again, and he will be prominent. But there's no hard confirmation of any of that yet, and it wouldn't be wise to put in a character whose big appearance hasn't even happened yet, especially when there's so much that can change between now and that appearance. His design, his powers, his story, all of that isn't final until the game is gold, which Metroid Prime 4 is far from.

Speaking of his design, it's... not great at the moment. He only has two textures: shiny blue and glowy green. That works for a DS game, but for Super Smash, that's going to look ugly. I imagine his design will be very different the next time he appears.

I know he'll come back in Metroid Prime 4, and I hope it's awesome and that he brings something new and interesting to the series. At that point, yes, we should put him in Smash. But there are plenty of other characters from games that are already out that are worthy of entry. Putting one in who hasn't earned it in any way doesn't make sense.
He's always been discount Metroid villain anyway.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Nahhh man, I was just being rough as a joke-which I shouldn't have done since we don't know each other.
You're absolutely welcome here-don't let my stupidity get you down-there's no hierarchy. At this point most of us are just buds.
We'd love to have you around. Seriously. If I scared you at all; I'm just a fool who wants Geno and blabbers about mostly that all day. Please don't feel bad because of a dumb joke I made.
We've all got opinions here; express them, don't let comments like mine get you down :)
Ok. Thank you. Just for further reference, I am a girl, and I’m pretty sensitive about pronouns. Don’t know how that got unmarked on my account.

I want Geno too. I don’t have any personal attachment, but I want his fans to finally get they’re victory.

I want Banjo-Kazooie. Hands down my favorite platformer.

I want Heihachi Mishima. I want the ability to revisit the Street Fighter x Tekken mashup.

I want Doom Slayer. Doom is just awesome.

I’m expecting Minecraft because it’s the second most popular game in the world.

I want a Super Smash Bros x PlayStation Alk-Stars game!

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Here's the quote
I think it's instead Sakurai came up with the moves (the "plan") and Nintendo chose the characters.

It may be less "pick 5" and more "here's five".

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Ok. Thank you. Just for further reference, I am a girl, and I’m pretty sensitive about pronouns. Don’t know how that got unmarked on my account.

I want Geno too. I don’t have any personal attachment, but I want his fans to finally get they’re victory.

I want Heihachi Mishima. I want the ability to revisit the Street Fighter x Tekken mashup.

Wow, I'm so sorry-I am as well, and I too am sensitive about pronouns. My truest apologies. Friends?

Heihachi is a good pal of mine. Love that crazy old man. Banjo-Kazooie meant a lot to me as a kid, and Doom Slayer would just be a good time.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Wait, new girl here?

*Obligatory "HI :yoshi:" from Zinith*

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Music that you want in Smash!

Here's mine:
Menu/Select Mii theme - Wii Sports Resort (REMIX)
Sophisticated Battle - Trails in the Sky (REMIX)
Alight (Storm) - Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright (Either REMIX or Original)
Falke's theme - Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (REMIX)
Jazzy NYC/Ibuki's theme (2nd Impact ver.) - Street Fighter III (Both REMIX)
Tomodachi Quest Medley - Tomodachi Life (REMIX)
World 2/Desert Battle (Don't know exact name) - Miitopia (Either Original or REMIX)
Either, A Woman, or Price - Persona 5 (REMIX)

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Okay, I've thought about it, and this is the issue with Katalina.

Putting aside the Gachapon element, being a complete unknown to the west is a big deal breaker, but why is that?

Marth, Roy and Lucas (along with Ness in Europe) were all complete unknowns too, why would Katalina be any different?

Well, it's simple.

Ness, Marth, Roy and Lucas were all packaged into their respective Base Games, you were forced to deal with them eventually (in order to unlock them), and it was essentially free to give them a try and see if you liked them and what they have to offer (not to mention that in Lucas' case he had Supspace Emissary establishing his personality for you).

With Katalina, she'd be DLC, so people in America/Europe would have to pay to try her out, and this changes the dynamic somewhat.

There are many people who would buy Katalina just to give her a go, obviously; but not everyone is so open-minded.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, the new Kirby DLC got announced.

https://youtu.be/EvxvzLVGTGs
Finally. That new mode gives me Return to Dream Land EX Mode vibes.

This whole situation is complicated, but I feel the key to it is to take the good with the bad. As I've said before in this thread, the advertised characters aren't inherently bad depending on the context. The ones that are bad are based on what's relevant now which narrows down the pool of characters, and no guarantees they're even fun ideas for Smash. There's a potential roster out there consisting of characters we've been knowing about for a decade or so that will make it into Smash because something else is in the works for them

I get that a lot of people got mad at Isabelle's announcement, but if anything, her inclusion in Smash was a good thing for the reason above: Up until now, we didn't know there would be an Animal Crossing announcement, but her inclusion foreshadowed that anyway. The same could potentially apply to franchises that are currently hibernating. Can you imagine some of them coming out of the dark once more for another hurrah? It's the advertising done right.
As long as they make enough sense and also happen to be liked by at least a few people, I'd be fine with it. In Isabelle's case, some did want an Animal Crosser eventually, even if it wouldn't necessarily be Tom or Resetti. I can't say I've ever been truly angry about any Smash addition, the most I ever get is indifference if the pick is promotional. :ultcorrin:

As far as base rosters go, I say the smartest thing going forward is knowing if we'll get more ballots, so gauging interest can be filtered out and try to steer things in the right direction (not Goku or Shrek).

Your theory on franchise revivals via Smash advertising is definitely compelling though, since I did at least get one character want that way. :ultlittlemac:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I haven't really decided on 5 DLC predictions, but I do have a few predictions. My predictions are 1 of Geno or Sora, Steve (since vergeben was right about so much, I feel like the minecraft content thing is probably right, and if a stage is added it'd probably have to come with a character), and Bandana Dee I randomly feel like will get added as DLC. idk on the other two.

Also, as another random topic (and sorry if I'm being annoying either by going offtopic or doing something already done on here many times, haven't been looking at here much recently, but I'm curious how many characters people can see in the scene in the world of light trailer where all the characters are shown evil and with red eyes.
redeyessmashultimate.png
I can see Mario (obviously), Shulk, Fox, Falcon, Fox, Mega Man, Link, Greninja, Pikachu, Falco, Dedede, Samus, Palutena, Pit, I think Pokemon Trainer, and I think Simon. The ones I don't know that I'm curious of is the one between fox and link and the one behind link and palutena.

And again sorry if I'm annoying people by posting this or if something like this was posted here before.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
If Piranha Plant is a character, there is no reason why Waddle Dee can't be one.

Hold up, what if Nintendo chose Plant as the first one too?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm really confused as to why Sakurai hasn't publicized who is singing Lifelight.

Why not give the singer credit?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Finally. That new mode gives me Return to Dream Land EX Mode vibes.

As long as they make enough sense and also happen to be liked by at least a few people, I'd be fine with it. In Isabelle's case, some did want an Animal Crosser eventually, even if it wouldn't necessarily be Tom or Resetti. I can't say I've ever been truly angry about any Smash addition, the most I ever get is indifference if the pick is promotional. :ultcorrin:

As far as base rosters go, I say the smartest thing going forward is knowing if we'll get more ballots, so gauging interest can be filtered out and try to steer things in the right direction (not Goku or Shrek).

Your theory on franchise revivals via Smash advertising is definitely compelling though, since I did at least get one character want that way. :ultlittlemac:
The heck? I didn't write that...A mix up perhaps?

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Somewhat agree. I feel though that they'd pick an Fire Emblem Three Houses (Byleth or Edelgard) character over Sylux. I also don't know about Doomguy though I think he'd be a cool addition.
I highly doubt there will be an FE character. None of them look unique enough and there was a lot of backlash from Corrin.

If FE is has big as people say it is it should be able to survive without getting a Smash character to promote it every second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom