• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I haven't really decided on 5 DLC predictions, but I do have a few predictions. My predictions are 1 of Geno or Sora, Steve (since vergeben was right about so much, I feel like the minecraft content thing is probably right, and if a stage is added it'd probably have to come with a character), and Bandana Dee I randomly feel like will get added as DLC. idk on the other two.

Also, as another random topic (and sorry if I'm being annoying either by going offtopic or doing something already done on here many times, haven't been looking at here much recently, but I'm curious how many characters people can see in the scene in the world of light trailer where all the characters are shown evil and with red eyes.
I can see Mario (obviously), Shulk, Fox, Falcon, Fox, Mega Man, Link, Greninja, Pikachu, Falco, Dedede, Samus, Palutena, Pit, I think Pokemon Trainer, and I think Simon. The ones I don't know that I'm curious of is the one between fox and link and the one behind link and palutena.

And again sorry if I'm annoying people by posting this or if something like this was posted here before.
Well I know my boi isn't in there, which makes me both hopeful AND depressed (because it means he STILL hasn't shown up in these CG trailers)

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I haven't really decided on 5 DLC predictions, but I do have a few predictions. My predictions are 1 of Geno or Sora, Steve (since vergeben was right about so much, I feel like the minecraft content thing is probably right, and if a stage is added it'd probably have to come with a character), and Bandana Dee I randomly feel like will get added as DLC. idk on the other two.

Also, as another random topic (and sorry if I'm being annoying either by going offtopic or doing something already done on here many times, haven't been looking at here much recently, but I'm curious how many characters people can see in the scene in the world of light trailer where all the characters are shown evil and with red eyes.
I can see Mario (obviously), Shulk, Fox, Falcon, Fox, Mega Man, Link, Greninja, Pikachu, Falco, Dedede, Samus, Palutena, Pit, I think Pokemon Trainer, and I think Simon. The ones I don't know that I'm curious of is the one between fox and link and the one behind link and palutena.

And again sorry if I'm annoying people by posting this or if something like this was posted here before.
It's Inkling, notice the mask-like cosmetic in her face, and her roundish head. One's behind her are Luma, Rosalina and Charizard.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I want a Super Smash Bros x PlayStation Alk-Stars game!
If anything we need Nintendo vs. Shonen Jump. Gamings most iconic company (Mario, Link, Kirby, Donkey Kong, etc.) against Animes/Mangas most iconic company (Goku, Naruto, Luffy, Ichigo, etc.).

A guy can dream...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Do we have any evidence that Metroid Prime 4 is coming next year? As far as I'm concerned, Pokemon is their big Switch title for next year.
2017 had Zelda and Mario, it's definitely possible for two titles to share the spotlight in one year if they're well spread apart from each other. Say Prime 4 is revealed mostly-done at the VGAs or whatever and it's coming out in June/July, but Pokemon Gen 8 is revealed at a later date and comes out in December/January. That's definitely enough breathing room.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I don’t know. I’d support the Clown Prince if Crime..

Wait. Your talking about the Persona character. Yeah. I don’t see it either. Persona has more PlayStation nostalgia than anything
didn't stop us from getting cloud and snake and ritcher

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
If anything we need Nintendo vs. Shonen Jump. Gamings most iconic company (Mario, Link, Kirby, Donkey Kong, etc.) against Animes/Mangas most iconic company (Goku, Naruto, Luffy, Ichigo, etc.).

A guy can dream...
Nah, we need Nintendo Vs Disney...
Gaming's most iconic company, vs cinema's most iconic company

Mario VS Mickey Mouse
Link VS Peter Pan
Pikachu VS Stitch

The possibilities are endless

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think it's instead Sakurai came up with the moves (the "plan") and Nintendo chose the characters.

It may be less "pick 5" and more "here's five".
It could very well just be that. I only mention the list as he implies he could reject them if he doesn't think they could work (then again, we're getting Piranha Plant as a fighter so that a moot point). I think what we can all agree on is it is definitely Nintendo making the calls here, not Sakurai.

NineS

Smash Lord
Yeah but Sakurai has something up his sleeve that he knows is gonna make headlines. It's gonna be something we would never think of.

Something that we would never see coming.
Nice, but I offer you something else people wouldn't see coming unless you're a Taro.

I mean, come on. No one would see her coming.

That and she has a blindfold... Can you get any more literal?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The heck? I didn't write that...A mix up perhaps?
I'm just generalising.

Anyway, it would be nice if a promotional pick does revive a dormant series (say, the much rumoured F-Zero sequel being advertised via Black Shadow or whomever). That they appeal to people would be a bonus. We just need to hope it doesn't pull the Corrin effect by turning people off instead.

If Piranha Plant is a character, there is no reason why Waddle Dee can't be one.

Hold up, what if Nintendo chose Plant as the first one too?
Hmm, that could be one way to warm people up to the idea of BWD.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
If I'm being real, I don't like to predict characters or even hope for some because I know I'll always be let down, but Joker is probably my most wanted pick for smash. Maybe because of how much I like Persona 5 but idk. It's incredibly unrealistic and definitely won't happen but I feel like he'd be a good pick

Roberk

Smash Champion
yeah it is and i don't get why other people want him either
  • They like Joker himself for his design
  • They like his potential moveset
  • They like Persona 5 (A stage, music, or just representation, in general, would make them feel good.)
  • They want to see a Persona/MegaTen/Atlus rep in Smash
Numerous reasons why people would want to have Joker, I haven't even played Persona 5 let alone a single MegaTen game.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Yeah but whose to say if exposed to the west that her series will become popular there like Fire Emblem did?
The difference is that Marth/Roy were included in the base game and originally not intended to be in international releases. They weren't planned to advertise Fire Emblem to the West, they were added for Japanese players. For those that ended up checking out Fire Emblem and liking it, that was a happy accident, and for those who saw them and didn't care, they got all the other characters, so it was just shrugged off.

Here, they're asking at least $5.99 for whoever they plan to sell. So you have to ask if "obscure anime character no one outside of Japan really knows" is really going to get people to pay an additional $6.

This is why I'm very skeptical about "promotional" fighters. Bundled with the main game and all the otherwise appealing and exciting characters, yeah, that makes sense. People are already going to buy the game, and there's already a bunch of other familiar characters that people are excited for, so adding an unknown one for promotion's sake isn't much of a risk. But selling them individually is extremely risky, because that's months of development time for a lot of content that people might not even be interested in.

E.g., this "Katalina" character or whoever that everyone's speculating. Does the general Smash audience know about this character? And I'm not talking about the people on this board, or on Reddit, or on GameFAQ's, or watching all the latest gameplay on YouTube. I mean the millions of casual players who don't really discuss games online and just buy games to play with friends. Most of them these days probably don't even know who King K. Rool is, but at least he's in the main game alongside all the other characters and content, so that's fine. But now Nintendo is supposed to spring some obscure anime character on international, mostly casual markets, and charge $5.99?

All that'll do is cause complains that it wasn't Goku.

2017 had Zelda and Mario, it's definitely possible for two titles to share the spotlight in one year if they're well spread apart from each other. Say Prime 4 is revealed mostly-done at the VGAs or whatever and it's coming out in June/July, but Pokemon Gen 8 is revealed at a later date and comes out in December/January. That's definitely enough breathing room.
It's definitely possible, it's just that it's been less than two years since the game was announced with just a logo. Given how much time and effort would be expected to go into the game, done by a brand new team, I would expect it in 2020 at the earliest.

2019 so far has Yoshi, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon, along with other content like third party releases and Smash DLC.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
We need Nintendo Vs Disney...

Mickey VS Mario
Link VS Peter Pan
Pikachu VS Stitch

The possibilities are endless
True, true. Personally for me I think I'm in the Nintendo vs. Shonen Jump camp because they're both Japanese companies. Also just the rivalries alone.

-Isaac (Golden Sun) vs. Gaara (Naruto) - Earth based fighters
-King K. Rool (Donkey Kong) vs. Blackbeard (One Piece) - Evil pirates
-Mario (Super Mario Bros.) vs. Goku (Dragon Ball) - Mascots
-Medusa (Kid Icarus) vs. Orochimaru (Naruto) - Serpentine antagonists
-Meta Knight (Kirby) vs. Kenpachi (Bleach) - Honorable rivals
-Palutena (Kid Icarus) vs. Saori Kido (Saint Seiya) - Mentors of divine champions
-Pikachu (Pokemon) vs. Killua (HunterxHunter) Electric based fighters
-Pit (Kid Icarus) vs. Pegasus Seiya (Saint Seiya) - Gods chosen champions
-Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) vs. Himura Kenshin (Rurouni Kenshin) - Samurais

Also the potential pre-battle and post-battle dialogue similar to Marvel vs. Capcom.

Bakugou (Pre-fight): H-How can you even fight in such ridiculous shape!? You're an even bigger joke than Deku!!!! - To Blackbeard, King Dedede, King K. Rool and Wario
Bakugou (Post-fight): Do yourself a favor fatso by trying to lose all that weight, then maybe people like me will start taking you more seriously in a fight! - To Blackbeard, King Dedede, King K. Rool and Wario

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Nice, but I offer you something else people wouldn't see coming unless you're a Taro.

I mean, come on. No one would see her coming.

That and she has a blindfold... Can you get any more literal?
I couldn't imagine playing 2b in a game where I'm not allowed to view her posterior at any given moment.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I couldn't imagine playing 2b in a game where I'm not allowed to view her posterior at any given moment.
You can, just pause the game.

The issue is when you do it she breaks the fourth wall and pushes the camera away.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
ne Piece) - Evil pirates
-Mario (Super Mario Bros.) vs. Goku (Dragon Ball) - Mascots
-Medusa (Kid Icarus) vs. Orochimaru (Naruto) - Serpentine antagonists
-Meta Knight (Kirby) vs. Kenpachi (Bleach) - Honorable rivals
-Palutena (Kid Icarus) vs. Saori Kido (Saint Seiya) - Mentors of divine champions
-Pikachu (Pokemon) vs. Killua (HunterxHunter) Electric based fighters
-Pit (Kid Icarus) vs. Pegasus Seiya (Saint Seiya) - Gods chose
Technically, Luffy is the mascot, if I'm correct
One Piece is bigger than Dragonball is in Japan
It has to be the Leto version so we finally have a gamer in Smash. Then, we can take to the online lobbies and rise up.
You crazy? We need the Ledger version...
His final smash would be asking the opponent "Why so serious?"

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Okay, I've thought about it, and this is the issue with Katalina.

Putting aside the Gachapon element, being a complete unknown to the west is a big deal breaker, but why is that?

Marth, Roy and Lucas (along with Ness in Europe) were all complete unknowns too, why would Katalina be any different?

Well, it's simple.

Ness, Marth, Roy and Lucas were all packaged into their respective Base Games, you were forced to deal with them eventually (in order to unlock them), and it was essentially free to give them a try and see if you liked them and what they have to offer (not to mention that in Lucas' case he had Supspace Emissary establishing his personality for you).

With Katalina, she'd be DLC, so people in America/Europe would have to pay to try her out, and this changes the dynamic somewhat.

There are many people who would buy Katalina just to give her a go, obviously; but not everyone is so open-minded.
But like if there's only one fighter character you don't like, you should still get the bundle because you're basically getting one of the characters for free (the bundle is $25.99. $5.99 x 5 fighters = 29.95. If you only buy 4 fighters, it's $23.96 so like Katalina would really only cost you $2.04 which is basically nothing.

If we get 4 solid characters and Katalina I legit don't think it'll be problematic because at that point, everyone will just have the fighter pass and Katalina will basically be a bonus like Piranha Plant.

I get the apprehension though given how extremely niche she is, but I feel like you're overblowing how much it'd actually cost to play her.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
One Piece is bigger than Dragonball is in Japan
Huh...The more I know. I always thought it was Goku due to Dragon Ball's popularity and how widespread it is in the anime/manga fandom like when I think of it. Dragon Ball is the first to come into mind. Thanks for the feedback about that.

D

Deleted member

hey if it means I can beat up Leto, even virtually, for hundreds of hours, I'm game for it
It's a win-win. Us filthy memers get to live in a society and you get to beat up Jared Leto. Everyone wins, except for the people that wanted Persona Joker.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
That's actually a valid concern, given that they had to censor Palutena and Bayonetta. If 2B were added, they'd have to give her some pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom