• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
For DLC, don't forget one of the biggest third-parties:

• 10s of millions of units sold, still ongoing.
  • Definite moveset potential (army weapons, energy weapons, etc.)
  • Represents the massive FPS genre, would draw in the most consumers who haven't already bought a Switch/Smash
  • Represents western franchises/developers
  • The mascot of an entire console/major tech company's gaming division and established the console line's place in the market
  • Nintendo has a very good relationship with Microsoft right now

I'm personally holding out for the Chief, Imo he's a very deserving addition who would bring in a lot of hype. A modern console mascot would advance Smash even further to being the Ultimate video-game crossover.
I almost would prefer base game Master Chief in the next go around because let's be real. Cortana talking about all the various Smash Fighters to Chief would be a great new use of iconic AI team-mate akin to the codecs and Palutena's guidance.

Roberk

Smash Champion
When people say "they did well in the ballot", what does it really mean? Because nobody other than Nintendo knows the results of the ballot other than "Bayonetta was #1 in Europe" said by Sakurai himself. Or am I wrong?
It's literally just fan polls and presence in the community. We really don't know much about the actual results of the ballot other than Bayonetta being popular in Europe, K. Rool being high, etc.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I realized something about the N64 mini, would any Star Wars game get on it?

It was before the Disney buyout, but...Well I guess it could work and would be a point to Sora if Disney was like "Oh yeah make that happen!"

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

• Represents the massive FPS genre, would draw in the most consumers who haven't already bought a Switch/Smash
  • The mascot of an entire console/major tech company's gaming division and established the console line's place in the market

I'm personally holding out for the Chief, Imo he's a very deserving addition who would bring in a lot of hype. A modern console mascot would advance Smash even further to being the Ultimate video-game crossover.
Now how about the OG Green Space Marine

Graizen

Smash Champion
Any edge that Agumon would have has dulled a long time ago. Digimon was a prevalent series, but it's not anymore. In a different life Agumon may have been a popular pick during the heyday of the series - if Smash had been in a different place then - but he isn't now. If people other than you are clamouring for him, they're few and far between or very well hidden. The most prolific example of Digimon in the "gaming" space are twenty year old tamagotchi-esque virtual pets, which had its audience planted almost completely in Japan. The ties with Nintendo stop shorter than other Bamco series, of which most of the more prolific ones have demand and some manner of existing representation within Smash. And while I suppose none of these individually are damning, together the picture painted is not a positive one.

Basically Digimon is a relic series, but unlike those included in Smash, like Pac-Man or Castlevania or something, its legacy has also diminished to the point of making it rather indistinguishable from countless other series that theoretically could be included, but have equally scant merits in their favour.

It's like if Yokai Watch faded into the background and twenty years from now someone thought Jibanyan had a chance.

Oh and for future reference, I'm not a guy.

This also doesn't help.

You caught me, it's not that Agumon is an exceptionally unlikely choice, it's that must I hate him.

And it's the people who argue against Graizen that are biased.
Ok.

theromfather

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your messages instead).
Dang, I used to do that all the time. I remember bragging to my friend that I knew all of the koopaling's names and tried to prove myself right with the NSMB2 instruction booklet, only to be proven wrong. It turns out the Mario bros super show wasn't very accurate in the name department lol. I also used it to quiz myself on enemy names and all that fun stuff.
My absolute favorite had to be Melee's though. I would bring it along on car rides just to go through all the character's bios and such.
It really sucks to see them go.
Man that's awesome! They were great when we were kids. Before smartphones and high speed internet I used to love Paper Mario's booklet for some reason.

I used to love manuals...
I remember mutilating the Brawl one just because I read it so much

The best example of that, I can think of is Playstation All Stars,
Sure it's kind of a soulless cash-in, but man! The music... Oh the music!!
Lol those were the good old days. I remember buying Zelda strategy guides because I just wanted to look at all the pictures and read all the interesting facts and stuff.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
>N64 Mini
>No goldenEyes

Y'all now this is ruined from the start and a travesty!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Lol those were the good old days. I remember buying Zelda strategy guides because I just wanted to look at all the pictures and read all the interesting facts and stuff.
Oh, man, talk about strategy guides! I used to buy them all the time, especially for Nintendo games. What a time to be alive. Aw man, I miss the good old days...

theromfather

Smash Apprentice
Luckily some companies keep up that tradition (mostly indies).

Otherwise, David Hayter is left with jack-all to do, so what could he be around for then? Besides possible WOL dialogue.

I mean, they barely had time to market things as it is, seeing as the timeframe is similar to between 64 and Melee.

Amusingly, Ultimate does seem kinda like a enhanced remake of Melee in some ways inside and outside of it, when you think about it.

>quick development period
>every most noteworthy moveset clone from that game is here, with various degrees of changes
>many of its stages are present
>faster gameplay
>Giga Bowser
>Adventure Mode with actual Nintendo locations (possibly)
>Yoshi stampede
Unfortunately these days most Indie games I buy are digital only but man id be so pleasantly surprised if Ultimate had an instruction booklet for nostalgia's sake.

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Sometimes is hard.
This is the first time i talk about Agumon in Smash here for the past 10 days.
And people talk **** about him for no reason.

Please come here with facts about how Agumon has no chance.
Digimon is a competitor of Pokémon.

theromfather

Smash Apprentice
Oh, man, talk about strategy guides! I used to buy them all the time, especially for Nintendo games. What a time to be alive. Aw man, I miss the good old days...
Yeah I wish I had more of them growing up but hey now it's 2018. Everything's online (but screens don't smell nearly as good as whatever kind of paper they used in instruction booklets and strategy guides)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I doubt the Nintendo 64 Classic Edition is being announced this year. There would have been much more leaks about it had it been in the pipeline. I think there is a decent chance it gets announced next year.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah I wish I had more of them growing up but hey now it's 2018. Everything's online (but screens don't smell nearly as good as whatever kind of paper they used in instruction booklets and strategy guides)
I know what you mean. Man, the internet just replaced a lot of things from back then, huh?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
>N64 Mini
>No goldenEyes

Hey, it's still not as bad as the Playstation classic... No Crash, no Ape Escape, No Parappa...
Luke Skywalker for Ultimate when? :troll:
I believe that if any Star Wars character gets into Smash, it should be Darth Maul

-Darth Maul debuted in the Phantom Menace, which came out the same year as Smash Bros
-Sakurai, a Star Wars fan, has gone on record to say that he likes the Prequels...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If that's the reply you feel is warranted, that's your call, but next time, let it not be said people don't respond with actual arguments.

>N64 Mini
>No goldenEyes

Sucks, but Goldeneye has got to be one of the most contractually immobilized games out there. I think the rights are split between four, maybe five parties?

Silver lining, if they do manage to get Rare on board, we'd probably still get Perfect Dark in its place.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nah, it can be worse. Steve with a Banjo skin.
Unfortunately, this is something that occasionally comes to mind for me. On the other hand, :ultwario: and :ultdaisy: used to be costumes.

Oh boy I cannot wait for a matchup with a cartoony southern bear and a sassy bird beat up a depressed child.
In fairness, Geno has it way easier than Lucas.

I just want a Rhythm Heaven character. They don't deserve to be just Spirits and music. I know the word "deserve" might be a bit far and is thrown around alot, but Rhythm Heaven really does deserve it, IMO. It's a currently ongoing series that's big in Japan, and despite having a scrapped character in Smash 4, it's still nowhere to be seen outside of Spirits and music. Considering Megamix coming out around the time Ultimate was finalized and potentially DLC characters as well, Tibby's gotta happen. It doesn't make sense for Rhythm Heaven to be slept on by Sakurai after being so close to a character in the past.
I do find it curious that Rhythm Heaven is being treated no better than Ouendan/EBA, even though it's decently big right now. Maybe he wouldn't want to overshadow the Wario content or something, who knows.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I want goldeneye but lets be honest, getting the rights to it is going to be hell.
You think that would be hell? Have Sakurai change his mind from the Melee days and actually TRY to get James Bond in Smash Bros. Ultimate as DLC.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I had a few strategy guides growing up. The one I took everywhere with me was my Brawl strategy guide which I got with the game itself. I still have the guide to this day but it’s all worn and taped up from frequent use.

D

Deleted member

Apparently sources are doubling down on a Direct this week? If there is one, my money's on a Direct mini to announce the N64 mini. Don't think it'll have anything to do with Smash, but most probably already figure that, lol.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I almost would prefer base game Master Chief in the next go around because let's be real. Cortana talking about all the various Smash Fighters to Chief would be a great new use of iconic AI team-mate akin to the codecs and Palutena's guidance.
That would be great plus a Samus vs. Master Chief battle would be amazing.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
If that's the reply you feel is warranted, that's your call, but next time, let it not be said people don't respond with actual arguments.

Sucks, but Goldeneye has got to be one of the most contractually immobilized games out there. I think the rights are split between four, maybe five parties?

Silver lining, if they do manage to get Rare on board, we'd probably still get Perfect Dark in its place.
Im in my bed , sorry. Tomorrow i give you a good reply.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

Even though they're working with Microsoft for Minecraft I don't think Banjo and MasterChief will get in because of their exclusivity to Xbox.

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Apparently sources are doubling down on a Direct this week? If there is one, my money's on a Direct mini to announce the N64 mini. Don't think it'll have anything to do with Smash, but most probably already figure that, lol.
They announce the N64 Mini with Banjo in it... AND THEY ANNOUNCE ****ING BANJO IN SMAAAAAASH !
No no, this won't happen lol

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
Huh, I didn’t think you can walk through people in Smash Bros before. I’ve never notice that till now lol

There was a problem fetching the tweet

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I honestly really hope that at least that Rareware game duology gets on there. I hope for Quest 64, but I don't expect it. Though at least it's easy to do as long as the N64 Mini has Memory Cards. What I really want is a translated Japanese version for all regions as an option(maybe as a 3DS or Switch game, though. That way it could have both versions of the game with language options?).

There's a ton of great N64 games. I'll be disappointed if zero sports games are on. And I don't mean WWE games, I mean at least one Baseball or Football or Soccer game. They probably would be one of the more cartoony ones, as that's way less licensing in comparison(as they have to license the real people. And that's a lotttttt).
I just hope there's Treasure games in this thing. While I hardly expect them to port the Dreamcast translation for Bangai-O, Mischief Makers and S&P are definitely realisable, as long as Treasure's willing to afford an agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom