• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
My deal is that they already allowed Geno in a sense as a Mii costume. I don't know why an Assist Trophy would be too much harder to do.

I guess I started hoping for Geno again too early, hah.
Its ok to hope for him, I share your plight friend. I think Sqaure is doing him injustice by doing nothing with him. They really should sell him to Nintendo who would hopefully use him better. As for an Assist I have no idea, perhaps because thats as far as they would let him be in? It really hard to tell with Square as they are one of the most strict companies in terms of lending things out.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Honestly if Geno is DLC this is most likely what happened:

Square wanted to see the profit of the character and perhaps get more money off of him than they would if he were base roster.

Sakurai knowingly negotiated for him as DLC as well to have a strong fan favorite for DLC much like Ridley and K Rool were for base roster.

Potato_

Smash Lord
And it makes me wonder, would Sakurai push for him like that?
At this point I have no idea. Trying to predict Sakurai is impossible in my experience.

At the very least there's the famous "I wanted Geno" comment he made around the end of Smash 4 DLC, which is coincidentally around the time of Ultimate's project plan being decided on. I wonder if he tried getting him for Ultimate? I'd imagine so since we have that image of him.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Its ok to hope for him, I share your plight friend. I think Sqaure is doing him injustice by doing nothing with him. They really should sell him to Nintendo who would hopefully use him better. As for an Assist I have no idea, perhaps because thats as far as they would let him be in? It really hard to tell with Square as they are one of the most strict companies in terms of lending things out.
Would Nintendo put Geno to good use if they bought him? If they buy him I can see him easily going in Sports, Karts and RPGs but it'd be interesting seeing how they can make him fit into the mainline series, or if they even bother trying.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I feel the same way about what people's reaction will be if Deathborn got into smash. Like nobody has played GX before, but I think there's not going to be as much salt since he would fill a lot of "hype" quotas. I guess the major salt mines will be the Black Shadow fans... but it wouldn't be the first time their fave got totally disrespected by Deathborn...

no that would be his introduction
We don't have to worry about that as that is never happening.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Honestly if Geno is DLC this is most likely what happened:

Square wanted to see the profit of the character and perhaps get more money off of him than they would if he were base roster.

Sakurai knowingly negotiated for him as DLC as well to have a strong fan favorite for DLC much like Ridley and K Rool were for base roster.
And considering the Season Pass and how much money Squenix could make off of that either way...hm.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You know those recent posts really got me thinking about Geno.

With how much Sakurai loves Geno and knows we love Geno, would getting him as a simple Assist Trophy been a real hassle? Would've been easy promo for Squenix, no worries about all the playable nonsense and the nooks and crannies that come with that.

So it makes me wonder where the heck he is. He's just a Spirit.
Why so?

Hm.
That's exactly what I've been saying. It doesn't make any sense at all. Especially with 59 assist trophies exactly. 1 more and they would have been able to advertise 60 instead of over 50. I can't imagine Geno getting straight up downgraded.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Would Nintendo put Geno to good use if they bought him? If they buy him I can see him easily going in Sports, Karts and RPGs but it'd be interesting seeing how they can make him fit into the mainline series, or if they even bother trying.
If they put him into a series they'd probably keep him true to his RPG roots and stick him in a Paper Mario or a Mario & Luigi game.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
What is interesting about the Assist angle, there are no Square Assist Trophies. I would have figured we could have gotten at least ONE Assist.

The fact we have an Icon for online battles is incredibly interesting to me. Why show that when there is a Mii Costume he could have shown, instead of leaving us with questions?

Also I agree, just sell the rights to Nintendo and be done with it.

Jakenimbus

Smash Apprentice
You know those recent posts really got me thinking about Geno.

With how much Sakurai loves Geno and knows we love Geno, would getting him as a simple Assist Trophy been a real hassle? Would've been easy promo for Squenix, no worries about all the playable nonsense and the nooks and crannies that come with that.

So it makes me wonder where the heck he is. He's just a Spirit.
Why so?

Hm.
Just because Sakuri likes the character doesn’t mean he has permission to use it. Square controls Geno’s fate. Personally, I think he won’t be making the game, but you never know. I think it is safe to assume that Sakuri was just giving a bone to the Geno fans though and I don’t think he was hinting at anything.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I could see him shining in a game that was similar to his own. I think if Nintendo did buy him they would put him in the Mario & Luigi RPG's.

Potato_

Smash Lord
If they put him into a series they'd probably keep him true to his RPG roots and stick him in a Paper Mario or a Mario & Luigi game.
This is the way to go in my eyes. He'd fit right into the Mario and Luigi games.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Just because Sakuri likes the character doesn’t mean he has permission to use it. Square controls Geno’s fate. Personally, I think he won’t be making the game, but you never know. I think it is safe to assume that Sakuri was just giving a bone to the Geno fans though and I don’t think he was hinting at anything.
Except he got permission to use the imagery of the character before, as evidenced by the Mii Costume and now the Spirit.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Imagine the hype supernova if after expecting B&K and/or Steve we see the Smash cut-in, fade to black, then we start to hear

this
Lol Master Chief is now and always has been a First Party IP not a Third Party IP Microsoft owns the rights for the character and the games in their entirety and they have never appeared console wise anyway, outside of Microsoft platforms. Even if Bungie still had rights over the character which btw they do not his inclusion though cool for fans of the character does not make sense for Nintendo themselves to agree to, Microsoft is still a competitor to Nintendo. They would not agree to advertise their competition in that way. Literally only person winning in that deal would be Microsoft as they would be getting paid by their competition to advertise their exclusive IP.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Lol Master Chief is now and always has been a First Party IP not a Third Party IP Microsoft owns the rights for the character and the games in their entirety and they have never appeared console wise anyway, outside of Microsoft platforms. Even if Bungie still had rights over the character which btw they do not his inclusion though cool for fans of the character does not make sense for Nintendo themselves to agree to, Microsoft is still a competitor to Nintendo. They would not agree to advertise their competition in that way. Literally only person winning in that deal would be Microsoft as they would be getting paid by their competition to advertise their exclusive IP.
Hey, no need to ruin the fun for everyone...

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You realize we could've said this exact same thing about Cloud and Squenix/Sony right lol

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
What is interesting about the Assist angle, there are no Square Assist Trophies. I would have figured we could have gotten at least ONE Assist.

The fact we have an Icon for online battles is incredibly interesting to me. Why show that when there is a Mii Costume he could have shown, instead of leaving us with questions?

So we have two things that are hard to predict the Sakurai factor and the Square factor. Sakurai has shown to be unpredictable, but Square has been shown to be very predictable. Square wants whats best for them, and Sakurai is the wild card that could go either way. Since I can't predict Sakurai, I will assume its because it goes back to them being stingy. Why allow Cloud in to Smash, but only give the Midgar stage two songs? I mean one winged angel isnt even one them. That alone is incredibly odd as its one of the first songs you would think of. It mostly has to due with the fact that Square will be a team player, but on their terms and only to an extent. And yes I think Geno fans should really push for this if he does not make it in to Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
If Sony were to get a rep in Smash, who would be the most likely character ASIDE from Kratos?
Ratchet & Clank, probably. Out of the Playstation 2 era mascots, the duo has been in every mainline Playstation platform aside from the original. They also have a ton of different weapons you an implement for their move set, not unlike Mega Man. I'm mostly familiar with the original quadrology, so I'd pack him with equipment like the SUCC cannon (as a followup to a grab), the Blitz Gun (as his side smash), the Plasma Whip (as his down smash), and the Hunter Mine Launcher (down b) just to name a few things across the first four PS2 games.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

I don't think people are actually expecting him. It's just fun to speculate.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Geno seems to be the character Sakurai is most aware fans want that isn't in.

Surprised his Spirit wasn't highlighted with a "sorry again boys" from Sakurai.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I have three comedic scenarios for each of the newcomers that were announced last week. For Ken and Pirahna Plant, it deals with how they ended up making the cut. Is anyone interesting in hearing them? I will try to post them tomorrow or on Wednesday.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Geno seems to be the character Sakurai is most aware fans want that isn't in.

Surprised his Spirit wasn't highlighted with a "sorry again boys" from Sakurai.
This too. The only reason we even know about the spirit is because people checked to make a list of every one we saw. After his mii costume got a special trailer in smash 4. It doesn't add up.

Potato_

Smash Lord

It's weird to me too. Geno costume is nowhere (could still be in but why not just show it?) No Mallow or FF AT. Like I get Square is stingy and they wouldn't add stuff without a clear profit, but this is just weird.

Cloud is lonely as hell man. He's got a stage and 2 songs.

Also I'd probably welcome Geno in purely because it's looking like the closest we get to Paper Mario/the RPG side of Mario games (Mario and Luigi) being acknowledged in smash besides the one stage and songs.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Its hard to know, Cloud was once seen as the very same thing. However I agree unlike Cloud who's game eventually came to the Switch, I don't see Halo coming to a Nintendo console. However just for fun, how amazing would a Samus vs Master Chief battle be?

Jakenimbus

Smash Apprentice
Except he got permission to use the imagery of the character before, as evidenced by the Mii Costume and now the Spirit.
But this is a new game and a new time my friend. Besides we are talking about a dlc spot which is huge. I don’t think Square would prioritize Geno over some of their other games for the dlc spot and would probably steer Nintendo to pick somebody else. Besides, a mini costume isn’t a big deal and relatively easy to add while dlc is a lot more complex and a lot bigger of a deal. Just because Nintendo did something last game doesn’t mean they can do it again.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I never said it was about "hating" the character in question or not. What I meant is that there's just other picks people want more so they just don't care for or even really want to see those other more obscure picks like someone like Agumon. Since it means a slot has been taken up by said obscure characters, that's what I mean by bias. To imply there is zero bias when discussing possible Smash inclusions is bull****, and you know it because there is. Everyone has that number one person they personally want to see, everyone has their biased picks. That's why I used that word it's just true, hell I'm not gonna pretend to deny that I'm biased too because everyone in these types of discussions is biased it's just the nature of this type of discussion. As such there will be people who speak out against certain characters based on said bias a lot of the time from what I've personally seen with nothing really to back up their claims. Hope that answers why I worded my reply the way I did.
I agree some people do that, but I think the minority it constitutes is such that not all replies merit the response of attributing it to bias.

And, with no offence to Agumon, the more out-there the choices have even less to do with active bias specifically against them, because those choices rarely conflict with the biases, they're that unorthodox. Everyone has characters they like, and maybe bias would come into play if it was like Skull Kid vs. Midna, but if it was Skull Kid vs... Captain Commando, there probably wouldn't be much overlapping bias to cloud judgment. Captain Commando would take a slot, sure, but it's not like he's challenging any fanbase specifically.

I'd posit that chalking things up to bias would be better suited to a case-by-case basis, otherwise it's kinda dismissive. Moreover, most people don't have so many biases that any given candidate would have a resonant correlation to one of their preferred choices.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
But this is a new game and a new time my friend. Besides we are talking about a dlc spot which is huge. I don’t think Square would prioritize Geno over some of their other games for the dlc spot and would probably steer Nintendo to pick somebody else. Besides, a mini costume isn’t a big deal and relatively easy to add while dlc is a lot more complex and a lot bigger of a deal. Just because Nintendo did something last game doesn’t mean they can do it again.
No, it isn't.

The Spirit is right here in this game.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
You're not wrong, but take a moment to consider that the reason people speculate the Chief is to humor the idea of what Smash's potential first trend-breaker would be if we got someone completely outside of Nintendo. No one is completely serious about his inclusion like you would think, and rightfully so. After all, Nintendo's IPs are exclusive to their consoles (and mobile), so should the Chief ever show up in Smash officially one day, surely the reverse must happen for compensation, right? It's such a low odd that it becomes interesting to think about it happening at all. It's one of those, "pffft, there's no way...never in a million years" moments that could happen, which becomes a Hilarious in Hindsight moment. Plus, one major advantage he has over non-video game characters like Goku speaks for itself, and he might not even be the first (assuming Katalina or just a Granblue rep in general is happening before it ever graces a Nintendo console).

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Exactly we cannot rule people out because they are usually seen as belonging to only that system. We used to do think the same with Cloud, time will tell.
Here's the thing with Cloud;

Can we really be sure he was added to promote his Switch stuff? It came 3 years later.

Interesting tidbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom