• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh, by the way, to clear things up, Vergeben NEVER said his sources were telling him that a Granblue character was in. He said that Hitagi seems legitimate, and mentioned Hitagi talking about negotiations for Katalina. Absolutely nothing concrete regardless of credibility.
So if she's in, neat, if she's not in, fair enough, there's plenty more fish in the ocean.

That being said, the main thing to be concerned about right now is the Direct rumor, and what's happening at VGA.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
It's the fact that it's included in the first place
Touché. But...BUT! So is pretty much every other imaginable Nintendo rep. So, that would disconfirm many many many many characters for DLC. We’ll have to see if the spirits miss any big ones before I make a definitive decision there.

Shroob

Sup?
At this point, I kinda hope the DLC 5 do somehow leak in the base game's code so we can just, I dunno, move on.

This cycle is going to be one bad game of telephone otherwise with all the "He said she saids" flying around.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
So if she's in, neat, if she's not in, fair enough, there's plenty more fish in the ocean.

That being said, the main thing to be concerned about right now is the Direct rumor, and what's happening at VGA.
I highly, highly doubt we are getting any more Smash info before release.
It sounds like the work on DLC hasn't even started. If there's a new direct, I wouldn't expect any Smash news. Same for the VGAs. We might see some Nintendo stuff there, but I don't think there will be anything Smash related.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm not expecting anything until early next year.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Except Vergeben hasn't said Katalina will be in.

He said that another source that he trusts, Senrou, says that Katalina might be in, but he hasn't heard anything about it.

Like, out of the DLC 3, Katalina is the most shaky in terms of actually getting in.
No. No. Why do people keep saying Verge said this. Don't spread this misinfo please.

That was Senjougahara Hitagi.
Oh, by the way, to clear things up, Vergeben NEVER said his sources were telling him that a Granblue character was in. He said that Hitagi seems legitimate, and mentioned Hitagi talking about negotiations for Katalina. Absolutely nothing concrete regardless of credibility.
boy I sure am popular today :4pacman:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It sounds like the work on DLC hasn't even started. If there's a new direct, I wouldn't expect any Smash news. Same for the VGAs. We might see some Nintendo stuff there, but I don't think there will be anything Smash related.

Don't fool yourself my friend. We both know DLC has started development.
VGA's is likely to me, but nothing else is.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
According to PapaGenos in the latest video of his some of his sources are saying Lloyd is possibly in as well. Assuming these things are true,

Sora/Erdrick
Steve
Katalina
Lloyd
???????

How would this DLC line up look to you guys?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
At this point, I kinda hope the DLC 5 do somehow leak in the base game's code so we can just, I dunno, move on.

This cycle is going to be one bad game of telephone otherwise with all the "He said she saids" flying around.
I'm the opposite. I hope the pass never leaks so every trailer is a genuine surprise.

I like coming here and speculating. The box theory kind of killed the fun for me because I knew it was going to be right, but the Fighter Pass is so open-ended it could be anything. That makes it fun again!

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
boy I sure am popular today :4pacman:
I actually hadn't noticed your comment before posting that. People in general acting like Vergeben said Katalina was in was what prompted me to correct them.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I’ll only be worried about Spirits if Banjo-Kazooie shows up as one.
Unlikely, since that's Microsoft's copyright now and that'd require doing a licensing deal for something so trivial.

Even then, Spirits apparently don't deconfirm fighters, since some current fighters have Spirits in one form or another. Also, Lucas had a trophy in Smash 4 based on his Brawl design before he was added post-launch with his updated design.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
According to PapaGenos in the latest video of his some of his sources are saying Lloyd is possibly in as well. Assuming these things are true,

Sora/Erdrick
Steve
Katalina
Lloyd
???????

PapaGenos sources also said he thinks the Grinch leak was real kek!
Why do you say Sora/Erdrick? Papa come out for either of those 2 or are you just assuming due to Verge?

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Don't fool yourself my friend. We both know DLC has started development.
VGA's is likely to me, but nothing else is.
Even if it has started, I feel like it'd be a bad look to show off paid content before the game is out. It just doesn't seem like something they'd do. I mean, I may be wrong, but we already know about Piranha Plant. I don't think they'll want to tease anything coming out after him yet.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432

I'm not expecting anything either but there is a chance Nintendo could pull another Mewtwo on us at the VGAs.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Has Geno actually been confirmed to be a Spirit, though?

I thought we've only seen his Battle Arena icon.
Battle Arena Icon = Spirit.
The moon battle icons was seen with the same Art as the Spirit of the Moon.
Spawn-Wave said in his podcast that yeah, Geno is a spirit.

Daisy's spirit is a FIGHTERSPIRIT that let you enjoy different art of the playable fighters, and apparently a short description unlike Equipable spirit from what Siliconera said.

All spirit of "look-alike" fighters like Kaptain/Meta-Ridley/Wii-Fit poses/Super Sonic/Mega-Lucario never share the name of the playable fighters at all.
Super Sonic being a spirit also deconfirm the fact that we might get "Final Smash Fighter Spirit" like the Final Smash trophy you could get in others games

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm also not sure if DLC was actually planned with the rest of the roster in 2015.

What Sakurai said about Rex could've meant for the base roster, but it was shown during DLC because it's a DLC bonus, so Geno could be in a Mewtwo/Lucas situation.

There's also a rumor that was shared with us in the Geno thread and the person seems credible based on posts I've read there; basically someone heard Geno would be DLC but it's water-cooler gossip, however the other rumors he heard from the same people have come true.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
As for Nintendo reps, I can see Marx happen over Bandana Waddle Dee. I'd save the latter for Free DLC to bridge a potential Wave 1 Fighter Pack and a Wave 2 Fighter Pack. Kirby fans would have something to look forward to then, and it's plenty deserving of 5 reps me thinks.
???
Are we ignoring Dee's popularity and marketability in Japan due to his species again?

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Wouldn't it be such an "OH NINTENDO!" moment if whatever new Easter Egg they added like Codecs/Guidance actually are on-disc for the DLC?
Are you sure you're not getting Nintendo confused with Capcom?

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Oh now I get ya.

Possibly if they've already been decided. Lucas and Ryu had their data left in.

Of course there may not be a Guidance/Codec replacement.
That's what I'm thinking, I highly doubt they want to 70+ codec/guidance on the characters. That would take up a lot of development time to add.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Even if it has started, I feel like it'd be a bad look to show off paid content before the game is out. It just doesn't seem like something they'd do. I mean, I may be wrong, but we already know about Piranha Plant. I don't think they'll want to tease anything coming out after him yet.
But...they already did. They even emphasized how you have to buy Piranha Plant. That's not really a move they've ever done so I don't think we should put on our "NINTENDO WOULD NEVER!!" lens after that.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'm not expecting anything either but there is a chance Nintendo could pull another Mewtwo on us at the VGAs.
That's a possibility.

It'd be nicer to show a trailer and gameplay but Mewtwo's model and confirmation of being DLC was enough to blow our minds.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace

Sora/Erdrick
Steve
Katalina
Lloyd
???????

Pretty awful for me at least. I don't care for any of them except maybe Sora.
That being said, I don't trust PapaGeno's sources at all. I like the guy and his videos a lot, but I personally think his sources are screwing with him.

StormC

Smash Hero
If the mini direct rumor is true, we might not get any Smash news until the next real direct in January or so. Presumably Piranha Plant will release in February and the first Fighter Pass character in April. If the VGA rumor is true all bets are off.

D

Deleted member

I feel like it's bad to announce paid content before the game releases and stay silent on it for months afterwards. I know Sakurai said only to buy the pass if you're confident in what you're getting, but scummy business practices are scummy business practices.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Question for you guys!

If Steve is realy in Smash , do you think he will be more like...

This
Mob1.png

Or This

2KuzKXK.png

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Yeah...at least with :ultsimon:, :ultken: and :ultincineroar:, it was "they're in guys, you'll see!", whereas here it's "I heard something from this guy, who knew this guy, who knew this guy, who knew this guy's cousin". I don't even care that much about spoilers, best for the bitter pill to be swallowed now so that we could wonder if anything else comes after this season pass or not, but since nothing concrete's happening now, might as well try to be patient.

That's fair. I'm moreso hoping those F-Zero/Star Fox announcement theories come to pass in regards to the Direct, at the moment (unless it's just more Pokemon Let's Go, anyway).

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Is anybody else sad about the loss of instruction booklets with games these days? I remember being in elementary school and poring over the OG N64 Smash Bros instruction booklet appreciating the art and items and stuff and that fresh instruction booklet smell while I was in class because I couldn't play the game outside of my house and the booklet was that one piece of the game I could take with me on the go. The 90s were a simple time
I used to love manuals...
I remember mutilating the Brawl one just because I read it so much
Truefacts, I've been won over by games on their soundtracks alone.
The best example of that, I can think of is Playstation All Stars,
Sure it's kind of a soulless cash-in, but man! The music... Oh the music!!

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
You could say, that people repeating what Spawn says, are riding the wave. :troll:

I actually do think Spawn is legitimate though. A VGA announcement sounds likely.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Sora/Erdrick
Steve
Katalina
Lloyd
???????

Does he still believe his source and their Microsoft source?

I remember him saying that the source was originally only sure about Banjo-Kazooie as DLC and Box Theory, and was confused about the Grinch Leak but willing to believe it because of B-K.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

hey. really simple question: who will you main and who will be your secondary?
Inkling and Piranha Plant are gonna be my main focus when I play seriously. I'll probably dabble with Isabelle and K. Rool as well.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I think that scenario is much more likely than we think.

The primary purpose of a season pass is to try and get people to pay in bulk for DLC in advance. The best way to do that, judging by other companies' trends, is to show off something cool that'll be in that season pass before the game even launches. That way all of your day one adopters who are most likely to buy the season pass have extra incentive to drop their money on it.

I imagine a VGAs announcement of a major character is actually extremely likely. Not guaranteed by any means, but likely.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It really shouldn't be this hard to get the story straight.

1) These aren't Vergeben's claims. He's distanced himself from them repeatedly by stating he's just passing along what he's heard from Hitagi (who he trusts, but I guess not to the extent he'll take get behind the claims himself). Why he thought people wouldn't get confused and misinterpret him is beyond me. It's like he's learned nothing.
2) Nobody has anything to report of this past Nintendo and Cygames being in the negotiation stage, which is a huge leap from these apocryphal claims now being circulated of Katalina being "all-but confirmed". C'mon you guys. Both Hitagi and Vergeben have said it's possible the negotiations fell through.

Vergeben shouldn't have said anything, because the Smash fanbase time and time again demonstrates how it's horrible at operating within the grey area. Might it come to fruition? Yes, but to think it's anywhere near being all-but confirmed is absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom