• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
How on earth???
Did you not read the rest of my post? Marx gets in first before Banana Waffle Dee, then Sakurai gives us an update on Wave 2 using Banana Slamma as the clincher. Marx is part of the $25 bundle while Banpresto Tweedle-Dee is a free sneak-peek bonus for that second wave of 5 characters.

If you're upset at not getting Ban-Dee Namco before Marx well... I dunno what to tell ya :v You still get both so it's a win-win, right? <:v

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
But it wouldn't
Katalina could easily have a realizable move set unlike an Angry Bird...
Honestly, moveset potential is irrelevant after ROB, Pac-Man, and a plant got in. If Sakurai wills it, he could make a moveset for an Angry Bird.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
Melee players will continue to play Melee, while everyone else plays Ultimate. That's how it's always been, that's how it'll always be.
There will be occasions that I go back to play certain games like Melee. Not because my friends and I are all that competitive, but because sometimes we like to mess around in the older games.

Competitively, they're still both going to have their scenes, but I trust we've become self-aware enough that we've stop calling for the death of Melee or the overshadowing of Ultimate in the "spirit of solidarity" that really doesn't matter.

D

Deleted member

The fact that F-Zero has a chance to return for once is neat.

We have to see how it ends up, doh.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The Katalina thing just proves my theory of how the Smash fanbase will always move around goalposts and defend whatever is in the game and try to justify it but anything not in it isn't "worthy"
"3rd parties need a history with Nintendo to be in. Oh Snake? The guy who most of his games are Sony exclusives? Well, you see, his game started on the NES and he has one GameCube game."
"3rd parties are only gaming icons, Snake was cut because the Pac-Man, Mega Man and Sonic trio is all that it needs. Oh Ryu? Well, you see, he's a fighting game icon so he can be in."
"3rd parties need a major game on a Nintendo console to be in. Oh Cloud? Well, you see, hus franchise has a deep history with Nintendo."
"3rd parties need to have a deep history with Nintendo to be in, even if that's outside of Nintendo consoles. Oh Bayonetta? You see, she's basically owned by Nintendo actually so she's not reall 3rd party."

Mark my words. Screenshot this. The same people saying Katalina makes no sense will be defending her inclusion if she gets announced.
I don't even have a goalpost for Katalina. I just think there's dozens of better options for a third-party DLC character than someone who's relatively new, has little association with Nintendo, and would only be recognized by a single country.

It's not that I think she can't get in. It's just that I genuinely think she's a bad choice.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I don't think they would've thrown him in as a Spirit if he were planned for DLC.
I get that Mewtwo had a trophy but I'm sure you can understand why this is different.
I don't understand. Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought Mewtwo was in the exact same position. I think it's really weird that Sakurai would put Geno in the game as a spirit and not an assist trophy if there wasn't something more planned.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I don't understand. Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought Mewtwo was in the exact same position. I think it's really weird that Sakurai would put Geno in the game as a spirit and not an assist trophy if there wasn't something more planned.
Mewtwo was a veteran for one.
You'd think if Geno wasn't in he'd get nothing at all.

Really? She seems iconic enough to me.
Nah chief

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
One you can't equip, unlike Geno.
This is still an assumption. The coding for that would be much simpler to change than something like an assist trophy.

With as many spirits as there are, it’s guaranteed many of the abilities and effects will be shared across a lot of them.

Recoding his spirit to non-equip wouldn’t be difficult in the least.

Don’t get hopes up, but it’s nothing even close to definitive without Sakurai’s saying so.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Vergeben says Katalina may be in and so Im taking his word in consideration that we may see her as dlc.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Ok guys, what if we got Impa as DLC but she is based on this incarnation:

hqdefault.jpg

Shroob

Sup?
Wouldn't it be such an "OH NINTENDO!" moment if whatever new Easter Egg they added like Codecs/Guidance actually are on-disc for the DLC?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
This is still an assumption. The coding for that would be much simpler to change than something like an assist trophy.

With as many spirits as there are, it’s guaranteed many of the abilities and effects will be shared across a lot of them.

Recoding his spirit to non-equip wouldn’t be difficult in the least.

Don’t get hopes up, but it’s nothing even close to definitive without Sakurai’s saying so.
It's the fact that it's included in the first place

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Katalina would be really dumb. If she's in she's in, but I can't imagine a mobile gacha character getting in before so many possible gaming icons. That would probably be the single most nonsensical decision Sakurai's ever made in smash.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
If we do get Angry Bird in he'll be one of my mains day 1.

I love surprises like that, hence why I wanna main Piranha Plant.
I... was implying that neither should happen...

Although Angry Birds had a 3DS game if I remember correctly so they'd still be a better choice than Katalina

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Wouldn't it be such an "OH NINTENDO!" moment if whatever new Easter Egg they added like Codecs/Guidance actually are on-disc for the DLC?
And people would spoil it immediately.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I will say though. I love Granblue's soundtrack. You can really feel the Final Fantasy influences on it.

Holy ****. That's a mobile game's OST?

I'm adding some of these to my work playlist.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
One you can't equip, unlike Geno.
I guess so.

Though, Wii Fit Trainer's Spirits, even if they're yoga poses, surely makes them just like glorified trophies?

And Sakurai's words about the Rex costume could've meant the base roster, though I'm not entirely sure; I just saw others bring this up in another thread...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom