• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I don't think 8-Player Smash is ever going to leave, it just has too much advertising power.
Was it though? I barely remember it being pushed, and no one I knew gave it more than a quick try. Obviously there are people such as yourself that love it, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think sales would be damaged by not having it.

BOOM.

1 - Default
2 - Shiny
3 - Blaziken
4 - Empoleon
5 - Talonflame
6 - Noctowl
7 - The season of Autumn/Fall
8 - Snowy Owls

Honestly, I think I could have done better on 3, but I really like 4 and 5.
These are all fantastic. Loving the palette concepts :)

Also: Now I want Waluigi even more!

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Was it though? I barely remember it being pushed, and no one I knew gave it more than a quick try. Obviously there are people such as yourself that love it, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think sales would be damaged by not having it.

These are all fantastic. Loving the palette concepts :)

Also: Now I want Waluigi even more!
It is definitely something that is advertised by the casual players. I can't tell you how many times I have been invited to play Smash because people that play me want to "show their friends what a competitive player plays like" only to arrive to a party of 6-10 playing 8 player smash (this has literally happened more than 10 times with more than 10 different groups).

I have literally heard people tell others: "I don't want to be waiting forever to play, don't invite too many people"

"Oh, don't worry, you can play 8 players now!"

Like it's not a huge thing to someone like me, who loves the 1v1 competitive aspect, but it is a huge deal to a lot of people that will never ever go to a forum.

I personally don't like the mode, I feel it is way too chaotic for me to enjoy what I like the most about Smash... but... I do love it when I am just 100% trolling. Like picking Falcon and just trying to land Falcon Punches all game long or something like that. Anytime I play 8 player Smash I just 100% troll until there's 3 or less players left.

Last edited:

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
You can plug two Gamecube adapters in docked, there's another USB on the inside of the dock.

...However it wouldn't matter anyways, since there's literally every other controller that they're going to prioritize over the Gamecube controller. That's if the GC controller even gets officially supported past the "it technically works" thing it has on Switch.

I don't think 8-Player Smash is ever going to leave, it just has too much advertising power. I'd also honestly be devastated to have it go.
wait there is? i only thought it only had 1. i dont see an extra one on my switch.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Well, if Sonic gets any changes to him...(which he should get a more inspired moveswt. So should Mario but lol won't happen.)
I want his voice actor from Sonic for Hire.

It just feels so fitting!

And yeah...Waluigi is one of my most wanted. Guilty. Funny how the last Reddit poll I saw out of 200 or so people had Waluigi WAY ahead of everyone else. By almost triple. Including options like Ridley,Rool,etc.

Unofficial poll though of course. Someone posted it here way back.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Well, if Sonic gets any changes to him...(which he should get a more inspired moveswt. So should Mario but lol won't happen.)
I want his voice actor from Sonic for Hire.

It just feels so fitting!

And yeah...Waluigi is one of my most wanted. Guilty. Funny how the last Reddit poll I saw out of 200 or so people had Waluigi WAY ahead of everyone else. By almost triple. Including options like Ridley,Rool,etc.

Unofficial poll though of course. Someone posted it here way back.
Anyone else have the sudden urge to binge Sonic for Hire now?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
wait there is? i only thought it only had 1. i dont see an extra one on my switch.
There's 2 ports on the outside of the dock and one on the inside. You technically only need to plug in one of the adapter cables for the gc adapter to work, so I'd assume you could even plug in three if you wanted

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I just had a long-winded argument with some dude who thinks they should cut characters like Captain Falcon and Ness because they "aren't relevant anymore".

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
There's an extra USB port at the back of the dock, near where the HDMI cable goes.

Didn't know the second USB cord for the GC adapter was for rumble. Use to two cables meaning one for power and the other for data. Not like the GC adapter would need a dedicated power cable though.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I just had a long-winded argument with some dude who thinks they should cut characters like Captain Falcon and Ness because they "aren't relevant anymore".
So according to their logic we should cut Mr. Game & Watch, ROB, Wii Fit Trainer and Dr. Mario I suppose. :rolleyes: Geez some people. They are clearly two of the most recognisable Smash characters on the roster(I know Ness was considered to be cut in Brawl).

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
So according to their logic we should cut Mr. Game & Watch, ROB, Wii Fit Trainer and Dr. Mario I suppose. :rolleyes: Geez some people. They are clearly two of the most recognisable Smash characters on the roster(I know Ness was considered to be cut in Brawl).
Ness considering being cut was actually Melee if memory serves.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Ness considering being cut was actually Melee if memory serves.
He was going to be replaced with Lucas but Mother 3 was dealyed/cancelled at the time and so Ness was chosen again.

dudeitzmeh

Smash Rookie
Does anyone share my opinion that clones like Lucina, Dr Mario, etc should become alternate palettes not because they hate clones, but because it would make room for other clone characters to make it in while still allowing you to play as the characters you liked from the previous games.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Does anyone share my opinion that clones like Lucina, Dr Mario, etc should become alternate palettes not because they hate clones, but because it would make room for other clone characters to make it in while still allowing you to play as the characters you liked from the previous games.
Not me. I wouldn't want to see a character be downgraded to an alt.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
From my understanding, clones are usually added as last minute additions since they are easier to make, so condemning the current clones to alts wouldn't necessarily make room for more clones.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

BOOM.

1 - Default
2 - Shiny
3 - Blaziken
4 - Empoleon
5 - Talonflame
6 - Noctowl
8 - Snowy Owls

Well, there are cool to see, haha. Great work. They all look great.

I absolutely love that you made alts that turn the leaves yellow, orange, red, and brown, seeing as those are actual leaf colors in autumn. Though the one I'd use would be the shiny, dark pine colored one.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Well, there are cool to see, haha. Great work. They all look great.

I absolutely love that you made alts that turn the leaves yellow, orange, red, and brown, seeing as those are actual leaf colors in autumn. Though the one I'd use would be the shiny, dark pine colored one.
Looks good! I should post mine as well sometime.

I’m not too knowledge about Fire Emblem but I was thinking of a potential newcomer. We know next to nothing about FE Switch or if it will even come out before Smash. We could have a Greninja situation where Sakurai knows something about it that we don’t. But, what do you think of the protagonists of the most recent Fe game, Alm and Celcia (so?)

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

I’m not too knowledge about Fire Emblem but I was thinking of a potential newcomer. We know next to nothing about FE Switch or if it will even come out before Smash. We could have a Greninja situation where Sakurai knows something about it that we don’t. But, what do you think of the protagonists of the most recent Fe game, Alm and Celcia (so?)
Adding in a FE16 character wouldn't really be comparable to adding in Greninja.

In the case of Greninja, extremely good timing was critical. The most favourable Pokemon game in terms of timing was X and Y, which was released in the sweetspot of ~one year after the roster was finalized but ~one year before Smash 4 was released. In that regard the closest comparison in terms of timing for Smash Switch when it comes to FE would be Fire Emblem Echoes. Assuming the roster was finalized in 2016 like people speculate, Shadows of Valentia (similar to X and Y) would have been the FE game with the most favourable timing, being released ~one year after the roster was finalized but ~one year before Smash Switch is set to release.

I think the better comparison to a FE16 character would have been if they included a FE10 character in Brawl. This is because similar how FE10 was released in the same year Brawl was originally intended to, FE16 would be released in the same year Smash Swicth is set to. But we didn't get a FE10 character. We got Ike, and he was heavily derived from Path of Radiance which was released around the same time the Brawl roster was finalised somewhere around 2005 (with one obvious exception).

Heck, Sakurai himself stated that had Awakening been released several months earlier or later, Robin might not have made it in, so timing is extremely important.

Basically.

Mostly effects the chances of ARMS and Xenoblade 2 but I can't help at wonder when the majority of dev work was set out.
They could make it in the base roster if a slot was reserved for them similar to Greninja, but well, a Xenoblade newcomer has not always been a high priority addition (as shown by Elma not being Smash 4 DLC despite good timing and feasibility). There is no guarantee a Xenoblade 2 character would have been seen as high priority to the point of being given a placeholder especially as a Pokemon X and Y newcomer was stated to be a major exception. If the only reason that was the case was because Pokemon X and Y was always guaranteed to be a mega-hit because of how huge Pokemon is, then a Xenoblade 2 character would be incredibly unlikely due to just how comparatively small the franchise was, especially back when the roster was finalized.

As for ARMS, well it's also important to compare to the situation with Splatoon in 2015, since that is the situation most similar to ARMS. People speculated that the Inklings could have been DLC characters made before their game was released seeing as how heavily promoted the franchise. But ultimately it did not happen before the release of their game (or at all). It's possible that whatever factor made Sakurai hesitant on using the Inklings as promotional characters for an upcoming new franchise at the time could lead him to be against adding in an ARMS character back when the Smash Switch roster was finalised. This is just something to consider.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

BOOM.

1 - Default
2 - Shiny
3 - Blaziken
4 - Empoleon
5 - Talonflame
6 - Noctowl
8 - Snowy Owls

My favorites are six, seven, and eight. Great work!

If Rex makes it in, or Zelda actually speaks assuming she's in her BotW incarnation, or if Fox still has his Smash 4 voice, I hope dual audio will be a thing like Melee. The dream would be changing only specific characters' voices so that you can keep the best of both worlds, but I doubt that would happen.
Zelda's English voice is great though. I just hope they don't keep Marth using his Japanese voice again, now that he has four games under his belt with an English voice actor.

I think FE 16 came way too late honestly. Meanwhile SoV was in development since 2015, and considering how closely Sakurai works with Intelligent Systems, he likely knew they were remaking Gaiden. Of the two, Celica seems much more likely to me.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I also think it's worth noting that we got the Inklings based off their Splatoon 1 designs rather than their Splatoon 2 ones. Just something interesting.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
While I'd love a shadows of Valentina character, I somewhat feel like we are in a FE limbo when it comes to smash. Even so, with Celica and Alm, we are looking at another Robin and Lucina situation just based off their in game abilities.

I personally believe that Lyn will be picked this time. I believe that thanks to heroes and warriors Lyn is the likeliest she will ever be unless a fire emblem 7 remake drops before smash 6.

That being said, I did put both Lyn and Alm in my roster. I could see Celica just being a robin clone with no weapon breaking and a non-electric sword (If they felt like doing that. She's not exactly the same as robin as I don't think the up B would be the same. They could replace it with escaliver and have it be the same function)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
They could make it in the base roster if a slot was reserved for them similar to Greninja, but well, a Xenoblade newcomer has not always been a high priority addition (as shown by Elma not being Smash 4 DLC despite good timing and feasibility). There is no guarantee a Xenoblade 2 character would have been seen as high priority to the point of being given a placeholder especially as a Pokemon X and Y newcomer was stated to be a major exception. If the only reason that was the case was because Pokemon X and Y was always guaranteed to be a mega-hit because of how huge Pokemon is, then a Xenoblade 2 character would be incredibly unlikely due to just how comparatively small the franchise was, especially back when the roster was finalized.

As for ARMS, well it's also important to compare to the situation with Splatoon in 2015, since that is the situation most similar to ARMS. People speculated that the Inklings could have been DLC characters made before their game was released seeing as how heavily promoted the franchise. But ultimately it did not happen before the release of their game (or at all). It's possible that whatever factor made Sakurai hesitant on using the Inklings as promotional characters for an upcoming new franchise at the time could lead him to be against adding in an ARMS character back when the Smash Switch roster was finalised. This is just something to consider.
Strange how Nintendo went from having only one real prospective brand-newcomer (Inklings) to having a few in such a short time. Shows how well the Switch is doing I guess.

So what Nintendo franchises were active in the 2014-2016 timeframe?

• Super Mario Maker (Got DLC stage)
  • Splatoon (got costumes)
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • Star Fox (Zero and Guard)
  • Metroid (Federation Force, *groan*)
  • Hey! Pikmin
  • Miitopia
  • Captain Toad
  • Shovel Knight (JP release only, publisher)

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I also think it's worth noting that we got the Inklings based off their Splatoon 1 designs rather than their Splatoon 2 ones. Just something interesting.
I'm hoping to see Villager-esque alternates like these:

Even ratio of genders, even ratio of Splatoon 1 and 2 Inklings, all were used in advertising/promotion, and the eight main ink colors are covered.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm not a huge fan of FE, so maybe this is just my own biased opinion speaking, but I think it's possible that we might not get any FE characters.

The last new FE game to get released was Fates. Normally, I'm sure we'd all be claiming that a character from Fates would be likely to get in Smash Switch, but since Corrin got in as DLC, the odds of someone from Fates getting chosen is rather slim.

SoV was released last year, but that was a remake of an older game (and if I remember correctly, the original was poorly received in Japan). Remakes never have as big of an impact as newer games. This game didn't stick around as long as Awakening and Fates did, and honestly, if it wasn't the latest FE game, I don't think many people would expect a newcomer from this game.

FE16 being the inspiration for a newcomer is already a stretch, but even if Sakurai had enough material to work with to make a character, there's no guarantee that he'd actually use it. Not every new game is going to warrant a new character in Smash, and FE is no exception. Gen III and Gen V got skipped over, so perhaps FE16 will get skipped as well due to its timing.

Lastly, there's the possibility of a FE character from an older game getting chosen. I...really don't see this happening. There aren't many times when Sakurai has gone way back to add older characters to a popular franchise, and even then, those guys are usually extremely iconic characters who make regular appearances in their series (:dedede::metaknight::wolf::pt::4bowserjr:). I don't think there's really any FE character who's so iconic that Sakurai MUST go back and reconsider adding them.

As of right now, there aren't any FE characters that stick out enough for me to think they'd have a good shot of being playable. If FE16 doesn't get represented on the roster, I think we can expect a possible DLC character.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Honestly the roster can do without an FE newcomer until DLC. It should get the Kirby treatment from Brawl -> Smash 4 when after getting a lot of newcomers in the previous installment it took a break. Especially now that there's not any FE characters that really need to be added other than an FE16 character who might have not even made the roster.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Gooey the good boy for Smash... maybe?

If Not Bandanna Dee, his spear is sick!!!

Honestly though Star Allies gives Kirby so much potential if there ended up being eight dudes I would be fine with that.

Decuideye from Pokemon has a sick design probably the best looking grass starter in the series.

I still need to see more. If he gets the Greninja treatment and gets a Battle Bond type of thing in gen 8 then yeah but if not gen 8 is going to be either added to smash or its going to be added and push someone out.

:4lucario::4greninja: to me are likely, Greninja repping gens 6 and 7 a bit make lean more towards him staying due to the concept of Mega Evolution being in a possible state of decay and :4charizard::4mewtwo: being the poster monsters for it, having two.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
The only FE character I'd see as worth adding to the base roster if they absolutely had to/wanted to include one is Anna, since she's the staple mascot character who's in every game, she's very popular, was given star billing and main roles in Awakening and FEH as a usable field character, and not only can they draw from her appearances in both those game as an axe-wielder (which currently nobody in Smash uses one, not just FE characters) but also as a greedy trickster. There's a lot that can be done with Anna, so if anybody were to show up, I'd want it to be her. Celica is also a likely pick because she's the co-lord of her game and it got the remake during the time that development would've started, plus she's one of the more popular lords as far as I can tell (though I'd personally prefer Anna first).

But I'm fine with not getting another FE character at the same time, since the selection we have now is already pretty good.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
It's kind of funny that we got so many Fire Emblem characters last time that the perspective of not having a new one vanished of my mind.

I still think that a new one will come up, and I think it will be from FEHeroes since it would represent Nintendo Mobile gaming too.

A new one from Heroes, Lyn, or no one at all would be cool for me.I just don't want to receive that many FE characters this time.

People who says that wanting cuts is evil doesn't understand that it cuts development time that can be used for other stuff, and not a MU that I would hate to study.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Best case I'd say is for no FE newcomers and Lucina to get a little decloning. (uses spear for side-B or wear a wedding dress for her final Smash or something, I'm not too up on FE)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
This is mandatory to have as a menu theme in the game.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
"We didn't create any new FE characters, but we did add a wedding outfit, dancer outfit, Christmas outfit, and a bathing suit outfit to the existing cast."

Normally, I'm all for unique alts, but this... This is just too much.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
This is mandatory to have as a menu theme in the game.

You know I actually really liked Coin Launcher.

Nothing against the new trophy mini-game (heck, I like Trophy Rush a lot too) but man I have a lot of memories of just playing around with this mode for fairly long periods of time and the excitement I'd get from catching cool new trophies and then reading the information that came with them.

Makes me wonder what kind of mini-game we'll get in the next game. But I digress, I want this music to be in it too, whether it's a menu theme or not. :p

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You know I actually really liked Coin Launcher.

Nothing against the new trophy mini-game (heck, I like Trophy Rush a lot too) but man I have a lot of memories of just playing around with this mode for fairly long periods of time and the excitement I'd get from catching cool new trophies and then reading the information that came with them.

Makes me wonder what kind of mini-game we'll get in the next game. But I digress, I want this music to be in it too, whether it's a menu theme or not. :p
I'm not even kidding.

I legit spent an entire hour playing Coin Launcher one time.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm not even kidding.

I legit spent an entire hour playing Coin Launcher one time.
I have spent an entire hour playing coin launcher quite a few times and honestly, now that you brought it up, I deeply regret it.

Aren't you missing a particular color? :p
Give us a hint, I tried your name... But Yellow was already there.

Best case I'd say is for no FE newcomers and Lucina to get a little decloning. (uses spear for side-B or wear a wedding dress for her final Smash or something, I'm not too up on FE)
That would absolutely be the best case scenario for me. Pls Sack of Rice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom