• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
In terms of clones/semi-clones, Birdo would exhilarate me.
I'm not against the idea, but Birdo would be one of those "Okay, but why?" additions. She's probably one of the last Mario characters I'd expect to see for this Smash.

Also, if she's going to be a clone of sorts, how will the whole tounge and egg-laying thing work?

Actually, I'd rather not think about this anymore than I already have.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I made the Birdo support thread ages ago but lost a bit of hope inside when she wasn't in Tennis Aces default roster. I wonder if she's unlockable or downloadable.

Side note: I'm thinking, thanks to the ballot (and the game starting development in a release dead zone), we may get characters that lost their chance in previous games for existing series will be the theme of most newcomers.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
This was posted earlier, but in an article SourceGaming translated, Sakurai mentioned that he recently (as of mid-2016) picked up a Galactic Drifter Vifam model to use its rifle for a reference. We now know that the project he was working on is Smash Switch, which may mean that the model was bought for the game. If that's the case, I was wondering what ideas you guys had for what it was used for, whether it'd be a new character, item or the like.

For reference, here's one of the models from the series:

Strange how Nintendo went from having only one real prospective brand-newcomer (Inklings) to having a few in such a short time. Shows how well the Switch is doing I guess.

So what Nintendo franchises were active in the 2014-2016 timeframe?

Along with those you mentioned:
  • Rhythm Heaven Megamix
  • Pokémon Sun/Moon
  • Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival (Welcome Home Amiibo DLC)
  • Codename STEAM
  • Chibi Robo Zip Lash
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Paper Mario Color Splash
  • Kirby
  • Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds/Triforce Heroes
  • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

I may be missing a few more, but those are the ones I can find on the Wiki.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
If they had the time and the want to, I could easily see Birdo coming in as a Yoshi semi-clone in the same vein as Mario/Luigi (no egg roll and tongue move, but she'd still be able to shoot eggs out of her snout) and [King] Boo coming in as a floating Jigglypuff basically. And of course there's Daisy as a Peach semi-clone as a possibility. If Toad ever got introduced, Toadette would also be a good clone pick. That's just Mario series.

Cin726

Smash Cadet
Does Luigi still fall under the Mario umbrella or does he constitute his own franchise now?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Honestly the roster can do without an FE newcomer until DLC. It should get the Kirby treatment from Brawl -> Smash 4 when after getting a lot of newcomers in the previous installment it took a break. Especially now that there's not any FE characters that really need to be added other than an FE16 character who might have not even made the roster.
I mean if you're gonna make the whole "not needed" argument then no FE character was strictly ever needed, due to the fact that the lack of them would have made no impact in terms of sales. But it's not as if that would matter.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This was posted earlier, but in an article SourceGaming translated, Sakurai mentioned that he recently (as of mid-2016) picked up a Galactic Drifter Vifam model to use its rifle for a reference. We now know that the project he was working on is Smash Switch, which may mean that the model was bought for the game. If that's the case, I was wondering what ideas you guys had for what it was used for, whether it'd be a new character, item or the like.

• Rhythm Heaven Megamix
  • Pokémon Sun/Moon
  • Codename STEAM
  • Chibi Robo Zip Lash
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Kirby

Besides the Inklings, and that's already a stretch, I can't think of any reasonable character who would use something designed like that. If this isn't a character, it might be an item or a stage hazard.

However, just because I can't think of a character from the top of my head who would use a rifle like that doesn't mean anything. Could be someone completely unexpected.

Does Luigi still fall under the Mario umbrella or does he constitute his own franchise now?
Luigi has his own franchise, but he's still a Mario character by all means. I doubt the second-biggest star of Nintendo's flagship franchise would be represented by his somewhat small spinoff series in Smash.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Frankly I'm uncertain Yoshi is his own franchise. Maybe I'd buy it if they give him another main villain besides Bowser for once in his life. Give him one of the ones they're giving to DK, I dunno.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
The gun will obviously used to introduce a new Metroid Character :

I don't know about playable, but having this squad as an assist? Cool.

It also seems that the game was being released around the time Sakurai started developing this new Smash.
I'm certain that they'll make an appearance of some sort.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's just a theory, but I feel like the only reason Yoshi's Island is treated as a separate franchise is because he was included as one of the first 8 characters in Smash 64, so they just made unique icons for everyone, there was no reason to have Yoshi be the one outlier in the roster. Then the late additions happened and they reused icons for Luigi and Jigglypuff, because what else were their icons supposed to be anyways? I've never really looked at Yoshi's Island as its own separate thing like DKC, it's just a Mario spinoff imo, heck the first and still standout game in the series is literally called Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Birdo is heavier, stronger and slower than Yoshi. Birdo has two average jumps.

Birdo B: Suction - Acts like Kirby and Dedede's inhale. Except the enemy sticks to her snout. She then gets a target allowing her to aim the direction she spits out her foe. Cannot move.

Toward B: Egg Shot - Shoots out an egg. Can have two out at a time. The egg acts like an item. She can ride them.

Down B: Ground Pound

Up B: Yoshi Jump - Birdo performs Yoshi's second jump (not as high). Egg shots in this state are fireballs that cannot be grabbed.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's just a thoery, but I feel like the only reason Yoshi's Island is treated as a separate franchise is because he was included as one of the first 8 characters in Smash 64, so they just made unique icons for everyone. Then the late additions happened and they just reused icons for Luigi and Jigglypuff, because what else where their icons supposed to be anyways? I've never really look at Yoshi's Island as its own separate thing like DKC, it's just a Mario spinoff imo, heck the first and still standout game in the series is literally called Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.
I think so too, especially when the non-remake Yoshi stage for melee was based off Super Mario World instead of the actual Yoshi's Island.

Troykv

Smash Master
Oh my... the "late 2014"-"2016" it was so weak... and feels weaker the most I think about it... when the only remarkable things about this years were Inkling, Fates (already know it's participation in Smash) and Star Fox Zero (and that was mostly because it had a big direct alongside it)... and we can technically count BotW too for Smash Representation (originally it was going to be released in Late?-2016)...

Xenoblade X it's already forgotten for Smash Speculation here.

But well... this weak list of games would actually be a saving grace for old characters like K. Rool and... other ones...

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

BOOM.

1 - Default
2 - Shiny
3 - Blaziken
4 - Empoleon
5 - Talonflame
6 - Noctowl
7 - The season of Autumn/Fall
8 - Snowy Owls

Honestly, I think I could have done better on 3, but I really like 4 and 5.
4,5,7and 8 looks amazing! I absolutely love how you threw in Talonflame on there because the colors perfectly blend in

So Decidueye vs Waluigi

GO!

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Oh my... the "late 2014"-"2016" it was so weak... and feels weaker the most I think about it... when the only remarkable things about this years were Inkling, Fates (already know it's participation in Smash) and Star Fox Zero (and that was mostly because it had a big direct alongside it)... and we can technically count BotW too for Smash Representation (originally it was going to be released in Late?-2016)...

Xenoblade X it's already forgotten for Smash Speculation here.

But well... this weak list of games would actually be a saving grace for old characters like K. Rool and... other ones...
I don't think X is so much forgotten as it just didn't leave much of an impact on a lot of people so it's easily glanced over.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I think so too, especially when the non-remake Yoshi stage for melee was based off Super Mario World instead of the actual Yoshi's Island.
Been snooping around SmashWiki and it says that Super Mario World is considered a Yoshi game because it was Yoshi's debut? idk if Sakurai made a statement on this or not but that's what the wiki says.

As for lack of Yoshi representation, at least just give him trophies like Poochy, Baby Bowser, and maybe a few bosses from the Yoshi series, and stick the babies and Kamek under there too. It's kinda ridiculous how he's tied with the ****ing R.O.B. universe for least trophies.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
How come I don't see as much support for Monster Hunter? Given how vastly popular the series is both in Japan and the West, and how much Nintendo has collaborated content with MH (Animal crossing had a set), amiibos, Mario and Luigi in MH, etc.

I'm thinking Monster Hunter is going to pop up and surprise us.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
How come I don't see as much support for Monster Hunter? Given how vastly popular the series is both in Japan and the West, and how much Nintendo has collaborated content with MH (Animal crossing had a set), amiibos, Mario and Luigi in MH, etc.

Monster Hunter hasn't crossed my mind since XX failed to show up in the west and Worlds isn't even on the Switch, but I'd love Hunter for Smash.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Strange how Nintendo went from having only one real prospective brand-newcomer (Inklings) to having a few in such a short time. Shows how well the Switch is doing I guess.

• Super Mario Maker (Got DLC stage)
  • Splatoon (got costumes)
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • Star Fox (Zero and Guard)
  • Metroid (Federation Force, *groan*)
  • Hey! Pikmin
  • Miitopia
  • Captain Toad
  • Shovel Knight (JP release only, publisher)
  • Rhythm Heaven Megamix
  • Pokémon Sun/Moon
  • Codename STEAM
  • Chibi Robo Zip Lash
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Kirby

Based off those list, I guess the most notable potential Nintendo-owned Smash candidate for the 2014-2016 era would be Captain Toad, Dixie, Paper Mario, Bandana Dee and, in terms of "reps", a Rhythm Heaven character and
a Sun & Moon Pokemon. I guess a FE15, XC2 character and a ARMS character could be given the Greninja treatment as they were released in 2017. And then we have so many more potential characters we're probably overlooking.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

I'm thinking it's beause MH doesn't have a character as such besides the generic hunter.

MVC:I has shown it can work but I think a hunter in Smash is not too high on either Nitnendo or Capcom's lists.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I wonder how many people on this board have played X or 2. I suspect most people are just looking at the series, seeing that 2 is the latest game in it, and assuming the protagonist(s) will be in Smash. The quality of the games would have little to do with that.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I'd almost be tempted to split him off into his own sub-franchise ala Yoshi

Give him a ghost logo, new mansion stage, and King Boo as a character or assist

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Based off those list, I guess the most notable potential Nintendo-owned Smash candidate for the 2014-2016 era would be Captain Toad, Dixie, Paper Mario, Bandana Dee and, in terms of "reps", a Rhythm Heaven character and
a Sun & Moon Pokemon. I guess a FE15, XC2 character and a ARMS character could be given the Greninja treatment as they were released in 2017. And then we have so many more potential characters we're probably overlooking.
Don't forget Xenoblade Chronicles X.

At the least I want this song in.

Morbi

Scavenger

It is probably my least favorite idea for a Capcom character, and given we already have two of them, there is not a lot of room if any at all. It reminds me of Steve. Monster Hunter is not popular because of your generic hunter, it is popular, presumably, for hunting monsters.

D

Deleted member

This was clearly used to help model Toy-Con Robot.

/s

Last edited by a moderator:

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
It seems Square Enix will not be releasing Dragon Quest XI on the 3DS and the West and will launch it on Switch "much later" than on other platforms.

They sure do send mixed signals to Nintendo. At least that is how I understand it. Then again I'm not that knowledgable about the business.

Morbi

Scavenger
It seems Square Enix will not be releasing Dragon Quest XI on the 3DS and the West and will launch it on Switch "much later" than on other platforms.

They sure do send mixed signals to Nintendo. At least that is how I understand it. Then again I'm not that knowledgable about the business.
Honestly, there is obviously a reason and it has less to do with sending a message that would only serve to hurt their own business and more to do with Switch itself, despite its popularity, Nintendo is its own biggest obstacle.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Hot damn!

I just got into a discussion with a guy on YouTube, saying that Birdo should be the next Yoshi character.
And I said, what about Kamek? Even Shy guy and the bloody Stork is better than Birdo.

He kept going on about how important Birdo was to Yoshi and stuff...
Got me digging. Birdo has not appeared in ONE Yoshi game. Why the fruit, would anyone want Birdo as a Yoshi character then? Birdo is only paired up with Yoshi in the spin-off series because both are dinosaurs.

Morbi

Scavenger
Hot damn!

I just got into a discussion with a guy on YouTube, saying that Birdo should be the next Yoshi character.
And I said, what about Kamek? Even Shy guy and the bloody Stork is better than Birdo.

Got me digging. Birdo has not appeared in ONE Yoshi game. Why the fruit, would anyone want Birdo as a Yoshi character then? Birdo is only paired up with Yoshi in the spin-off series because both are dinosaurs.
I am pretty sure she is a Mario character. I believe it is the same as Wario and Waluigi, I do not believe he appears in the Wario Ware games despite spin-offs attaching them at the hip.

I mostly just want her for trolling purposes.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
In terms of clones/semi-clones, Birdo would exhilarate me.
I somewhat miss Pichu, and would actually like to see a balanced Pichu return as a clone.

Paper Mario Color Splash
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

That makes two for Paper Mario.
Don't mind me, just grasping for straws.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hot damn!

You hit the nail on the head with the last part. It's purely because she was Yoshi's partner in all the mid-2000's Mario sports and party games.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I am pretty sure she is a Mario character. I believe it is the same as Wario and Waluigi, I do not believe he appears in the Wario Ware games despite spin-offs attaching them at the hip.

I mostly just want her for trolling purposes.
Yeah, Birdo is a Mario character.
Still he can't be too important. He has not been in either Mario Kart 8 Delux, or base roster of Tennis Aces (could be a unlockable/DLC)

Still, for Smash, I do not think that would be the likeliest.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
You hit the nail on the head with the last part. It's purely because she was Yoshi's partner in all the mid-2000's Mario sports and party games.
So basically, Waluigi. Unless I'm mistaken and there IS a Wario title with Waluigi...?

I see a lot of support for Waluigi as a Wario character.

D

Deleted member

I feel like I am the only one who wants two or three new Fire Emblem Characters?

Chrom would be a nice addition, even though people would complain his move-set is too diverse from his game or the fact that he is a clone.

Sorry, Fire Emblem Heroes got me to love Fire Emblem characters so much.
:5chrom:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom