• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I was saying that Mimikyu could potentially be a Pokeball character in Smash for Switch.
and that's very likely. Like I was referring to above, some characters ended up starting somewhere before they become playable fighters

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I'm at this point in Smash where I find a lot of characters to be... Meh. Like, guys like King K. Rool are cool but some of the character suggestions just seem kind of... Eh. Like, no offense to people who like these characters, but some of the characters people are suggesting are really scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Makes me wonder what will happen to Smash after the Switch version.
May I ask which characters you are referring to?

Morbi

Scavenger
Probably everyone that is not King K. Rool, or Ridley. Cannot say that I disagree, either. I love my boi Waluigi, genuinely, but the mere fact that he is the closest to an "all-star" still missing from Smash is definitely concerning. Unless Nintendo starts promoting other games and characters, there is not going to be another Smash title for a long time. Let us just say that.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Probably everyone that is not King K. Rool, or Ridley. Cannot say that I disagree, either. I love my boi Waluigi, genuinely, but the mere fact that he is the closest to an "all-star" still missing from Smash is definitely concerning. Unless Nintendo starts promoting other games and characters, there is not going to be another Smash title for a long time. Let us just say that.
Give it at least another 7 years or so before we get a new Smash announcement. I think it would be funny to see a new Smash in 2025 LOL

...but by that time we should be seeing plenty of new characters in various games to be considered "all-stars". Once this 5mash is released, it's gonna be hard to see who is next if we don't have many mega powered stars. Would end up having to scrap the barrel for more women/villain characters this time around

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I feel like a lot of the second rate characters are cool, but don't consider hype. Like, I'm fine new IP characters (Rex & the red head girl, an ARMS character, Ridely, Chibi-Robo since Nintendo seems to be pushing him, etc...). However, characters like Daisy, Birdo, Waluigi, etc... That's just so... Meh.

Morbi

Scavenger
I feel like a lot of the second rate characters are cool, but don't consider hype. Like, I'm fine new IP characters (Rex & the red head girl, an ARMS character, Ridely, Chibi-Robo since Nintendo seems to be pushing him, etc...). However, characters like Daisy, Birdo, Waluigi, etc... That's just so... Meh.
That face when the username checks out.

In all seriousness, I am basically in the same boat. The new IP stuff is fine, but going beyond that is a bit too niche or obscure for me as a "casual" Nintendo fan to get on board with. The only Nintendo character that I feel is missing, beyond the obvious, is Black Shadow. But we are probably never going to revisit F-Zero.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Honestly, this really is something I’ve been thinking about. It’s kind of killing my hype a little. I really don’t know who to expect anymore, or how many newcomers we’ll get.

I kind of hope the game gets delayed now, or that they go all out with DLC this time around. Maybe that’s how they’ll support the game through the Switch’s lifecycle.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Honestly, this really is something I’ve been thinking about. It’s kind of killing my hype a little. I really don’t know who to expect anymore, or how many newcomers we’ll get.

I kind of hope the game gets delayed now, or that they go all out with DLC this time around. Maybe that’s how they’ll support the game through the Switch’s lifecycle.
That's probably why I think they're gonna hold Wolf as DLC so we can cry in rage only to discover they planned Wolf to make us buy him. Several other characters like K Rool is a possibility

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
That face when the username checks out.

In all seriousness, I am basically in the same boat. The new IP stuff is fine, but going beyond that is a bit too niche or obscure for me as a "casual" Nintendo fan to get on board with. The only Nintendo character that I feel is missing, beyond the obvious, is Black Shadow. But we are probably never going to revisit F-Zero.
Same. I’m all for promoting new Nintendo IPs in Smash, but some character choices I see people make are a stretch. It almost seems to me like people are choosing filler characters just to have a decent amount of newcomers.

No offense to anyone who chooses those characters, but I just don’t think they “deserve” a spot sometimes. Especially over other choices that would make more sense. I’m guilty of it too though so there’s that.

For example, even though he’s 3rd Party, I don’t see Crash making it on to the end roster. To me, to me, . To. Me. My opinion...before I get crucified for saying I don’t think Crash will make it. He just doesn’t have the same “star-power” as other 3rd Parties who have made it onto the roster.

And before I get things like “(insert Nintendo character here.) isn’t as iconic as Crash, blah, blah, blah.) yes, I’m aware, but that character is Nintendo owned too.

That's probably why I think they're gonna hold Wolf as DLC so we can cry in rage only to discover they planned Wolf to make us buy him. Several other characters like K Rool is a possibility
Honestly, that’s a smart business decision on Nintendo’s part. Don’t introduce a ton of new newcomers like before, and add others over the years to promote new titles, new IP, and fan demand.
Not a loot box situation. Just a “Hey, this new character is being added in to promote the new Pokémon game. They’re $5.99 and you also get 3 new stages.)

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
About to leave work so I'll write up another post about stages and assist trophies later...

But I'd love to see a City Escape stage with the G.U.N. Truck as a stage hazard. I enjoyed Sonic Adventure 2 Battle a lot so I'm definitely biased.

Morbi

Scavenger
About to leave work so I'll write up another post about stages and assist trophies later...

But I'd love to see a City Escape stage with the G.U.N. Truck as a stage hazard. I enjoyed Sonic Adventure 2 Battle a lot so I'm definitely biased.
In my humble opinion, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was the only good Sonic game, at least past the 2D side-scrolling era. Probably part of the reason I would like to see Shadow, that and because I am legit edgier than Shadow IRL.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Highly disagree with Zelda's voice, but Marth having a Japanese voice kinda feels like tradition at this point. It also sort of shows that he was originally from a Japanese-only title. It'd be weird not hearing him say "Minna, miteite kure".
Honestly it'd feel weird to me if they didn't give him an English voice. Like, in Melee and Brawl it was a neat reference to the fact that he hadn't had a game released in the west. In Smash 4 I already thought keeping his Japanese voice was weird because Shadow Dragon DID get a western release, but I wrote it off on the thought that maybe they felt it'd be weird to have his English debut be in Smash.

But now that he's been voiced in English in Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., Fire Emblem Fates, Fire Emblem Heroes, AND Fire Emblem Warriors, having him still speak Japanese in the English version of the game would feel less like tradition and more like disrespect towards the character.

Just my thoughts on things. Marth's one of my mains and probably my favorite fighter on the roster from a character perspective, so I just feel strongly about this, is all, haha.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
In my humble opinion, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was the only good Sonic game, at least past the 2D side-scrolling era. Probably part of the reason I would like to see Shadow, that and because I am legit edgier than Shadow IRL.
I respect your opinion, but there are, to me, other good 3D Sonic games out there. Sonic Unleashed, for example. I liked the Werehog, but the daytime stages were a blast to play.

Morbi

Scavenger
I respect your opinion, but there are, to me, other good 3D Sonic games out there. Sonic Unleashed, for example. I liked the Werehog, but the daytime stages were a blast to play.
I am honestly just talking out of my ass. I have never played a 3D Sonic game after Sonic Heroes release. So I have no idea about their quality other than what I hear. Honestly, I want to try Unleashed because the Werehog idea is genius. Wish it was his Final Smash. Save the Super Saiyan transformation for Goku's appearance, I say.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I'm at this point in Smash where I find a lot of characters to be... Meh. Like, guys like King K. Rool are cool but some of the character suggestions just seem kind of... Eh. Like, no offense to people who like these characters, but some of the characters people are suggesting are really scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Makes me wonder what will happen to Smash after the Switch version.
That is something I really wanted to bring up that no else seems. I get that some people want characters like Waluigi, but to see people really push someone like him is concerning and is hitting bottom of the barrel levels.

Characters like K.Rool have history and are integral parts of certain franchices.

Characters like Issac have really awesome moveset potential from a series that has so much potential that can be revived from Smash.

And imo, you get people that want another Mario character that came from a spin off series.

Sorry if it came off as rant to some people, but I wanted to express my thoughts as I was always confused by this scenario.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
People are acting like we're just now getting to the "bottom of the barrel" characters.

Smash 4 didn't exactly add many iconic Nintendo all-stars either, as most of the characters we got were either too new or too niche for people to recognize. Honestly, how many non-Nintendo nerds do you think identified:4palutena::4darkpit::4robinm::4lucina::4littlemac:and:4shulk:the moment they were revealed?

There's still plenty of truly iconic characters Sakurai could add (Ridley, K. Rool,, almost any Mario character, etc.). It's just that adding them all at once would come back to hurt him when it's time to decide the roster for the next Smash game. New IP characters can only get you so far.

Honestly it'd feel weird to me if they didn't give him an English voice. Like, in Melee and Brawl it was a neat reference to the fact that he hadn't had a game released in the west. In Smash 4 I already thought keeping his Japanese voice was weird because Shadow Dragon DID get a western release, but I wrote it off on the thought that maybe they felt it'd be weird to have his English debut be in Smash.

But now that he's been voiced in English in Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., Fire Emblem Fates, Fire Emblem Heroes, AND Fire Emblem Warriors, having him still speak Japanese in the English version of the game would feel less like tradition and more like disrespect towards the character.

Just my thoughts on things. Marth's one of my mains and probably my favorite fighter on the roster from a character perspective, so I just feel strongly about this, is all, haha.
Doesn't make a difference to me, but I'm fine with an English VA.

Besides, change is sometimes nice. There wasn't really a reason to update Ness and Lucario's voice clips, but I really appreciate that change. Even if Marth somehow ends up sounding worse than Smash 4 Fox, I'm still willing to take the risk.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I am honestly just talking out of my ***. I have never played a 3D Sonic game after Sonic Heroes release. So I have no idea about their quality other than what I hear. Honestly, I want to try Unleashed because the Werehog idea is genius. Wish it was his Final Smash. Save the Super Saiyan transformation for Goku's appearance, I say.
Heh! I like Super Sonic, but I’d play as the Werehog as Sonic’s final smash any day!

By the way, if you get the chance, play Sonic Unleashed HD. The Wii version is good, but the HD version is better. I feel dirty for saying that on a forum about a Nintendo game.

Morbi

Scavenger
People are acting like we're just now getting to the "bottom of the barrel" characters.

Smash 4 didn't exactly add many iconic Nintendo all-stars either, as most of the characters we got were either too new or too niche to be recognized. Honestly, how many non-Nintendo nerds do you think recognized :4palutena::4darkpit::4robinm::4lucina::4littlemac:and:4shulk: the moment they were revealed?

There's still plenty of truly iconic characters Sakurai could add (Ridley, K. Rool,, almost any Mario character, etc.). It's just that adding them all at once would come back to hurt him when it's time to decide the roster for the next Smash game. New IP characters can only get you so far.

Doesn't make a difference to me, but I'm fine with an English VA.

Besides, change is sometimes nice. There wasn't really a reason to change Ness and Lucario's voice clips, but I really appreciate that change. Even if Marth somehow ends up sounding worse than Smash 4 Fox, I'm still willing to take the risk.
I assume most Smash players would recognize Little Mac as he was an assist trophy and Punch Out was quite a big influence on gaming culture. The rest, yeah. That is sort of the point, though. We already hit the bottom of the barrel, as you stated. There are enough characters to make one more game, as far as I am concerned, but after that, you would absolutely be scrapping the foundation of the barrel desperately trying to find a character with a modicum of importance.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
That is something I really wanted to bring up that no else seems. I get that some people want characters like Waluigi, but to see people really push someone like him is concerning and is hitting bottom of the barrel levels.

Characters like K.Rool have history and are integral parts of certain franchices.

Characters like Issac have really awesome moveset potential from a series that has so much potential that can be revived from Smash.

And imo, you get people that want another Mario character that came from a spin off series.

Sorry if it came off as rant to some people, but I wanted to express my thoughts as I was always confused by this scenario.
And Waluigi/Daisy have consistently appeared in everything non-canon Mario churned out, which combined give them over fifty playable appearances spanned over five generations of gaming, being present in almost every entry of what's one of the best selling gaming series.
They have history, consistency and relevancy on a scale that very few characters have.

They're all-stars in every sense of the word.

But yeah fan rules get in the way which is why icons in other senses of the word, like Zelda companions are excluded as well

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 396530

Well, yes, Wii U was technically a port of 3DS since it came out after.

But we've known this for 5 years. :p
I had Theses changes fro Challenge:
:4ness::Ness Change his Height to 6 Feet.
:4link::4zelda::Change To Breath Of the wild Desgin.
:4villager::4villagerf::After Transformed By Bayonetta. Villager Is now greater than 7 Feet
:4lucas::After Transformed By bayonetta Lucas Is now 6 FEET

RandomAce

Smash Champion
And Waluigi/Daisy have consistently appeared in everything non-canon Mario churned out, which combined give them over fifty playable appearances spanned over five generations of gaming, being present in almost every entry of what's one of the best selling gaming series.
They have history, consistency and relevancy on a scale that very few characters have.

They're all-stars in every sense of the word.
Yeah that is true, they are both insanley popular. I’m just saying that I would rather have other characters from different series than getting another Mario character. Just my opinion.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
So with all this talk of scrapping the barrel, and running out of newcomers, in a sorts, how many newcomers do you think we will get right off the bat, and who do you think is most plausible/realistic?

Also, do you think Nintendo withuse DLC to add more characters later on from future releases on the Switch? (i.e. FE16, Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon Switch, etc...)

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So with all this talk of scrapping the barrel, and running out of newcomers, in a sorts, how many newcomers do you think we will get right off the bat, and who do you think is most plausible/realistic?

Also, do you think Nintendo withuse DLC to add more characters later on from future releases on the Switch? (i.e. FE16, Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon Switch, etc...)
I'm keeping my expectations tame with 5-7 newcomers on the base roster. As for who I think is most plausible, I'm not sure. Aside from the Inklings, there wasn't anyone who I thought was guaranteed. Even after Smash Switch's reveal, my opinion hasn't changed.

Using DLC to promote new games seems like something blatantly obvious that Nintendo should really take advantage of. Might as well promote your upcoming products by advertising a few characters in one of the most anticipated games on the Switch.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

It's hard to predict the amount of newcomers when we don't really know the true nature of the game, like how much of it is derived from Smash 4? I don't mean as in it's a port, because it's pretty obvious by now that it isn't, but that doesn't mean it isn't borrowing more stuff from its predecessor than any past installment has done before. If it does borrow a lot of stuff then that's uncharted territory for us, not only in regards to predicting the amount of newcomers (and new content in general), but also as far as cuts go. If no or very few cuts are made do we really expect the roster to near the 70s? It seems like a bit of a crazy number, and it'd be very difficult to balance.

My guess would be ~10 newcomers, clones excluded, but that's purely a gut feeling. I think an ARMS character and Decidueye are very likely, and we're probably getting another 3rd party character too, but beyond that it's hard to say.

As for your second question, absolutely. I think this game is coming out at a fantastic point in the Switch's lifespan, it really can take full advantage of future releases to keep the console's incredibly strong momentum going. I'm expecting it to get continuous DLC for longer than Smash 4 did, although characters might not come out at as fast a pace seeing that a lot of Smash 4's early DLC were veterans and semi-clones, and we've kind of run out of those.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 396530

I had Theses changes fro Challenge:
:4villager::4villagerf::After Transformed By Bayonetta. Villager Is now

:popo::Ice Climbers´s Height is Now greater than 7 feet if Returned

Last edited by a moderator:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
For example, even though he’s 3rd Party, I don’t see Crash making it on to the end roster. To me, to me, . To. Me. My opinion...before I get crucified for saying I don’t think Crash will make it. He just doesn’t have the same “star-power” as other 3rd Parties who have made it onto the roster.

And before I get things like “(insert Nintendo character here.) isn’t as iconic as Crash, blah, blah, blah.) yes, I’m aware, but that character is Nintendo owned too.
Given that Geno of all characters was a third-party character who was not just considered but wanted by Sakurai, star-power doesn't really matter that much for third-parties and the assumption that a third-party has to be iconic to make it in doesn't work anymore.

Smash 4 didn't exactly add many iconic Nintendo all-stars either, as most of the characters we got were either too new or too niche for people to recognize. Honestly, how many non-Nintendo nerds do you think identified:4palutena::4darkpit::4robinm::4lucina::4littlemac:and:4shulk:the moment they were revealed?
We have a good idea of that.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
SamuXCI i have changes To characters. because You like it!

:4villager::4villagerf::After Transformed By Bayonetta. Villager Is now greater than 7 Feet
:4lucas::After Transformed By bayonetta Lucas Is now 6 FEET

Please don't spam the same message multiple times...

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Here’s a refreshing twist on a rather tired topic! Who are some clone characters you’d WANT to see added? Maybe characters that just make sense to be a “easy” clone? For me, I’d love to see Alph branch out a bit, Ninten as a clone of Ness, Funky Kong just because lol oh and Blood Falcon

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Here’s a refreshing twist on a rather tired topic! Who are some clone characters you’d WANT to see added? Maybe characters that just make sense to be a “easy” clone? For me, I’d love to see Alph branch out a bit, Ninten as a clone of Ness, Funky Kong just because lol oh and Blood Falcon
I want to see Black Shadow replace Ganondorf as the dark Falcon clone and have Ganon pick up some moves of his own. Personally I want Dark Pit to return too with some slight alterations to make him more distinguishable.

I'll branch into semi/pseudo-clones too, I think Dixie Kong would be great and uhhhh Galacta Knight I guess?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Can we STOP talking about characters for just 24 hours? Like seriously, I understand this is a discussion thread, but we've beaten the majority of character discussions to a dead horse

BRING BACK BOARD THE PLATFORMS

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I had a dream last night where Nintendo confirmed Rabbids for Smash Bros. I woke up in a cold sweat and never wanted Rayman in the game so much in my entire life.

D

Deleted member

and that's very likely. Like I was referring to above, some characters ended up starting somewhere before they become playable fighters
That's....not exactly a good counter to what's being said.

Literally other than the Pokémon Trainer's set, we haven't had an older Pokémon be included as a Newcomer once their debuting generation has come and gone when the roster's being decided.

Mimikyu being a Poké Ball summon in favor of a different Pokémon Newcomer would pretty much be a death sentence for the future when Alola's no longer the big thing.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Alph, Funky Kong, Impa, and Slippy would all be neat to see.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
The expression is "scraping the bottle bottom of the barrel," not "scrapping the bottom of the barrel."

Edit: how did I do that? Did all the people who liked this post miss it too?

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I'd really like to see Nitnen, but visually he's near-identical to Ness save for the position of his hat and the stripes on the shirt. Iirc, even his colors are the same.

If we're getting a Mother clone, I'd like to see Giygas from the original game be a Mewtwo semi-clone.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
That's....not exactly a good counter to what's being said.

Literally other than the Pokémon Trainer's set, we haven't had an older Pokémon be included as a Newcomer once their debuting generation has come and gone when the roster's being decided.

Mimikyu being a Poké Ball summon in favor of a different Pokémon Newcomer would pretty much be a death sentence for the future when Alola's no longer the big thing.
Not exactly a counter fam. I'm just pointing out that varies of characters had started somewhere and then became playable later. Some characters? Highly unlikely. Other characters? Well, if they aren't gonna be playable, at least make them show up somewhere to be appreciated in a way.

Only character I can think of at the moment that would be perfect is bring back Pichu as a last minute clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom