• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Laugh at you, he might not be completely wrong even if that leaks is Bull****. If the first design documents was in 2015.
It means that during months there was consideration of Characters- and for Exemple Ryu/Cloud/Bayo, even if choosen VERY early could have been because of Ultimate. Alongside K.Rool/Chrom Mii costume together-

Just a tiny food for thought tho-
How about Ryu and Cloud? They were released before the project plan...

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
How about Ryu and Cloud? They were released before the project plan...
Cloud was released in December 2015 with Corrin and Bayo in 2016 and Ryu was July 2015
If the first project plan Wich was already based on the concept of EVERYONE IS HERE was made in 2015.

There a high chance that those Characters were already in Ultimate's roster before even being released.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
4chan's pet nickname for any fake leaker. Idk who, how, or why but it's just happened.
There was a guy who made an obviously fake leak, but he was really new to 4chan. He put as his username his internet handle - Kyle something or other. Turns out that was also his twitter, so 4chan doxxed the guy and started harassing him.

That's why I love 4chan.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Smash Ultimate, especially if the song returns.

Seriously, I think Smash 4 will go down as the least liked Smash game only because Ultimate is going to do everything better.
Probably, and that's...highly disappointing. Even 64 still gets better reception and less animosity, and it doesn't seem like it will die soon, despite relatively lower attendance numbers than Melee and Smash 4 for instance. At least we still have the memories...

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Smash Ultimate, especially if the song returns.

Seriously, I think Smash 4 will go down as the least liked Smash game only because Ultimate is going to do everything better.
Smash 4 did a lot of amazing things, and it's by no means a bad game, but if Ultimate has good single player content Smash 4's gonna be outdone in almost every way.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Well ****. I didn't think this'd get THAT bloated. Sheesh.

Well I'm going to drop it there either way. Death threats are NOT okay, no matter who it is. I'm sure it isn't anyone here, you guys are better than that, but this is definitely where I'm putting a sock in it. Permanently.
Certainly death threats are never justified. Saying it's just a video game doesn't go far enough, because even when things matter more it is never justified. At the same time, when you poke at a hornets nest, you're going to be stung. It's not right, it's not what should happen (he should just be ignored and unfollowed en masse), but it's also a reminder to be careful about this type of stuff when you're at that level of trust and popularity. I feel like both of those should be kept in mind in these sorts of situations.

D

Deleted member

what if vergeben said shrek is in
He'd obviously be lying. Like, I have reason to believe that the Vergeben Collective may have legit information on some things, but if they dropped to this level, I wouldn't bite. I also wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the Collective's information is bunk. That tends to happen with them.

I'd be all for Shrek getting in though.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Don't get me wrong, I like Smash 4, it's just that the game being split between the 3DS and Wii U was a mistake. Not an ill-advised one, just an unfortunate mistep.

Grevmak

Smash Cadet

Some people are going completely overboard. I want a ton of stuff to look forward and hype, too, just like everyone else but seriously: There will probably be 2-4 more characters including echoes and that's it, Smash Ultimate is already completely nuts when it comes roster, stage and content size.

€: Has been posted already. Oh well, still: Pretty overkill, won't happen.

Last edited:

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
I'd love to see Ahruon's version of this with the entire cast of Ultimate (including returning veterans and newcomers), his work is so good:

smash4__dlc_update__by_abysswolf-d8g48y5.png

Link to his twitter if you're interested in seeing more of his work (he's got quite a lot posted on there): https://twitter.com/ahruon

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Just recently finished Starlink: Battle for Atlas. Not flawless, but a damn good game that was definitely worth the money. Figure I'll post my spoiler-free review of it here. Paragraphs go: Story, Exploration, Combat, Toys-to-Life, Star Fox.

The story is simple. The Starlink Initiative flies out to the Atlas Star System looking to find one the homeworld of one of it's members, Judge. Upon their arrival, they're attacked by the Forgotten Legion, lead the leader of the Initiative is abducted. The goal is to rescue the Initiative's leader, and rid the Atlas Star System of the Forgotten Legion. It's a simple story, nothing spectacular, but it gets the job done.

Exploration is actually a lot more in-depth than I expected. There are seven planets total, all with their different environments. On the planets, you forge alliances with the residents there, and work to push back the Forgotten Legion from the planet. The system to doing so is simple to understand, but more in-depth than I thought it'd be. You seamlessly travel from planet to planet through space, where there are asteroids to avoid, hidden caches to discover, and outlaw hideouts to raid. However, things may feel a bit repetitive if you're playing for long stretches at a time, or trying to 100% the game.

Combat is simple, but I found it fun. You start off fairly weak, but get stronger through applying mods to your ship and weapons, as well as investing in your pilot's skill tree. There your weapons can come in one of four main elements, being Fire, Frost, Gravity, and Stasis, with a fifth non-element, being Kinetic. Your enemies can either be neutral, or have Fire, Frost, or Gravity elements to them. However, your tactics don't change much regarding the enemy you fight, as the best way to deal with any enemy is DPS spam until they're down.

Though I was weary of the game having Toys-to-Life elements, I bought the physical edition because the Arwing model was too awesome to pass up. The physical toys were fun to mess around with, but you don't have to play with the physical stuff the entire time, as once they're registered, you can play with them digitally. The Toys-to-Life stuff was actually executed very well, as buying weapons, ships, pilots, etc. aren't necessary and are just enhancements to the game itself. Whenever you need the element of a weapon you don't have, there's almost always an explosive canister of that element you can use instead. I just hope the toys haven't put too many people off, as because of the stigma against Toys-to-Life, the game may have been better off without.

Lastly, the Star Fox content was fantastic. The amount of love and respect Ubisoft gave the Star Fox franchise was touching. Fox is hands-down the best pilot, with a great skill tree and borderline OP pilot ability, where he calls in another Star Fox member to help out. The Arwing ship is a blast to play with, as well. The Star Fox missions were also a blast, with the team's goal being to hunt down Wolf. Portrayals of the characters were fantastic, with great voice-work, and the characters' interactions on-point. There's also a few remixed Star Fox tracks, all of which were fantastic.

In short, I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and highly recommend it. It's no epic AAA adventure, and it definitely has its flaws. But if you're looking for a fun game where you can fly around in spaceships, talk to aliens, and blow stuff up, than this game is definitely worth the money. Bonus points if you're a fan of the Star Fox franchise like myself. Don't be afraid of the Toys-to-Life mechanics, as they aren't necessary for you to complete the game. 8/10

And to keep it on the topic of Smash, if the performances of voice actors behind the Star Fox crew are on par with their performances in Starlink, then we're in for a treat. Hopefully the Star Fox comms will return with their new voices, where we'll get to hear them all.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Don't get me wrong, I like Smash 4, it's just that the game being split between the 3DS and Wii U was a mistake. Not an ill-advised one, just an unfortunate mistep.
Yeah, it's certainly not ideal. If only Smash could be on a console that's both a console and a handheld, then it would be perfect.

If only...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
https://www.game.co.uk/en/super-smash-bros-ultimate-steelbook-2329878
Going by this, we have 3 more unique fighters left.

Box theory be damned.
I think that one has already been debunked.

Just a case of how confusing the numbering system is.
The official character numbers count Pokemon Trainer and Mii Fighters 3 times each and the Echos not at all while the roster count only counts Pokemon Trainer once, each of the echos and may or may not count the Mii Fighters

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Some people are going completely overboard. I want a ton of stuff to look forward and hype, too, just like everyone else but seriously: There will probably be 2-4 more characters including echoes and that's it, Smash Ultimate is already completely nuts when it comes roster, stage and content size.
How much I wish that was true...

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
While I agree that Smash 3DS held back Smash 4, it still gave us a whole host of fantastic stages, as well as Smash Run, so I honestly can't be mad at it in the end.

A lot of my favorite Smash stages ever are 3DS stages. I'm glad we have them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Even Sakurai had to be convinced to even do the split at all, so it's obvious it wasn't planned at first.

At least 3DS had Smash Run and those exclusive stages like Pac-Maze.

I'd love to see Ahruon's version of this with the entire cast of Ultimate (including returning veterans and newcomers), his work is so good:

View attachment 171204

Link to his twitter if you're interested in seeing more of his work (he's got quite a lot posted on there): https://twitter.com/ahruon
There's also a DA account: https://www.deviantart.com/abysswolf

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Status
Not open for further replies.