• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
Question. Does anyone collect video game guides?

I am cautiously wanting to get the Smash Bros Ultimate Guide, the hardbook one, but...

It feels like I don't want to get it.

Why is the hardbook format all covered in white background whereas the paperback format has the cool background art.
So unfair I tell you.
31LOHh6IFOL._SX307_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
51zYPl1HhBL._SX305_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
As a verified Vergeben, my source is taking questions. To verify he's real, check my avatar picture.

Have anything to say to the lovely people?

The Collector said:
This buffoon will make a fine addition to my... gallery.

Iridium

Smash Hero
3DS also probably had the better Classic Mode, but that's probably me. Anybody else think so?

Okay, definitely not alone.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
3DS also probably had the better Classic Mode, but that's probably me. Anybody else think so?
Between Wii U and 3DS? Absolutely.

But certainly not better than previous entries. The lack of mini games to break up the monotony is kinda bleh.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I am cautiously wanting to get the Smash Bros Ultimate Guide, the hardbook one, but...

Why is the hardbook format all covered in white background whereas the paperback format has the cool background art.
So unfair I tell you.
View attachment 171205View attachment 171207
Because Prima makes questionable decisions? I still haven't forgiven them for listing the characters in Brawl by alphabetical order, that flares up my autism.

Shroob

Sup?
The numbering system in general is just ****ing stupid.

There are 68 "UNIQUE", big emphasis on the quotation marks there, characters, but the about page and pretty much all marketing says 72.

Should just stick to one number and be done with it, Echoes be damned.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

So unfair I tell you.
I got the Smash 4 Prima Guide when I first got the game. But the game went through a lot of balance patches, so some of the information was outdated. Not to mention DLC.

Since Ultimate will probably receive the same treatment, I think I'm probably going to skip buying the guide.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
As a verified Vergeben, my source is taking questions. To verify he's real, check my avatar picture.

Have anything to say to the lovely people?
Oh almighty verified Vergeben, please tell me:
Are we getting Goku? LaxChris told me we are, but I'm cautious to believe him as he has said more than 37 times now. I need direct confirmation from the real source.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So Mr. Collector, how did you exactly come to knowledge of closely held Smash Brothers secrets?

The Collector said:
*illegible rasps* Who do you think makes all the 3rd Party Character contracts?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

So unfair I tell you.
Misguided artistic design choices. Simplicity's considered elegant and premium, even if to me it comes off as lazy like they forgot to print the rest. :chuckle:

Iridium

Smash Hero

So unfair I tell you.
I hear the "Collector's Edition" (the hardcover one) has some illustrations inside, so maybe we'll get lucky with that? If not, then no point in buying this (those illustrations better be good).

Last edited:

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
While I agree that Smash 3DS held back Smash 4, it still gave us a whole host of fantastic stages, as well as Smash Run, so I honestly can't be mad at it in the end.

A lot of my favorite Smash stages ever are 3DS stages. I'm glad we have them.
This is one of the reasons I'm so excited for Ultimate: The 3DS stages. I didn't have a 3DS, so I missed out on so many really cool stages. I can't wait to finally fight on them in HD! Magicant here I come!

Grevmak

Smash Cadet

So unfair I tell you.
I hate this minimalist design trend. First it was only Webpages and Game UIs but it's not "clean" to me, it's lifeless and sterile. It's one of those things I hate about Windows 10; everything in menus and setting-windows just kind of... Floats in an invisible grid and it looks so awkward. I really like the Menu we get in Ultimate FWIW but this first logo "design" you posted is about as lazy as it gets.

It's a very minor pet peeve that is wholly irrelevant but man, I wish me some 90s and early 2000s tackiness back into software, UIs and Logo design. Also that one font Overwatch and Paypal use is all over the place, I saw 5 ads from 5 different things on my way home with the same font used. Maybe the same marketing company behind it but bleh, this minimalist movement is ticking me off.

Anyway, back to the topic. Whoever sends death threats over the internet needs to thoroughly rethink their life and step back from any place that gives them anonymity. Jeez, people think that because it's the internet you can say and do whatever and maybe that's just because we're all still only 1 generation into the internet being "a thing" as old-guy-like as that sounds, but I somewhat doubt it.

TL;DR Screw that guy, hope Crunchii has a nice day.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Oh almighty verified Vergeben, please tell me:
Are we getting Goku? LaxChris told me we are, but I'm cautious to believe him as he has said more than 37 times now. I need direct confirmation from the real source.
The Collector said:
You already know the answer deep inside your pitiful soul.

Day one DLC.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

So unfair I tell you.
Because only adults get hard covers and adult book have to be dull by law. Like, they re-released Harry Potter with dull covers for adults so that the other business men on the train don't give you condescending stares which I'm told is the adult equivalent of a swirly.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

Some people are going completely overboard. I want a ton of stuff to look forward and hype, too, just like everyone else but seriously: There will probably be 2-4 more characters including echoes and that's it, Smash Ultimate is already completely nuts when it comes roster, stage and content size.

€: Has been posted already. Oh well, still: Pretty overkill, won't happen.
No Crash Bandicoot man

FAKE

Iridium

Smash Hero
I'd prefer the Collector's Guide to have a different design from the normal one rather than just the title...
This is why I'm glad I haven't made an order just yet. I need time to think about what to get. Either edition guide, the Special Edition Ultimate set, and a Switch should all be fine, right? Not sure what to do...

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Change my mind: Melee Yoshi's Story is the greatest stage in all Smash history. It's roughly balanced, it's unique in its triplat design, it provides unusual strategy with unusual blast zones, Randall, and it is just sexy to look at.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Do you guys want something different to discuss?

View attachment 171183

Let’s talk about Elma. How likely do you think Elma is? How do you think she would be implemented? Do you like Elma?

Did we talk about Elma before?

EDIT: oof nevermind, looks like we found something to discuss.
I think Elma has a good chance of being playable, somewhere around 75% I'd wager. I've never played her game, so I don't know too much about her. I think she would use a combination of guns and swords, maybe a Final Smash that involves a mech. I think Elma has the potential to be a fun and unique fighter, and more Xenoblade representation is always a good thing.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
This is one of the reasons I'm so excited for Ultimate: The 3DS stages. I didn't have a 3DS, so I missed out on so many really cool stages. I can't wait to finally fight on them in HD! Magicant here I come!
This is actually where I'm a bit disappointed, to a slight degree (love the game, don't get me wrong). Before the game was announced, I was hoping it would be a port so that no characters would be cut. Glad I was wrong on that, because Ultimate's much better by having everyone here. The secondary reason was so that Wii U's and 3DS stages would probably come together, as I had only played on Wii U. We got most of them, which is great, though I'll really be missing out on Pac-Maze and Rainbow Road. Still, tiny quibble for having so many returning stages.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Change my mind: Melee Yoshi's Story is the greatest stage in all Smash history. It's roughly balanced, it's unique in its triplat design, it provides unusual strategy with unusual blast zones, Randall, and it is just sexy to look at.
Let's talk Fountain of Dreams

You can't go wrong with the beautiful music

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
45 days left here in Australia. That's soooooo soon. And to think, we'll know the full roster within that time - maybe even in a few weeks :O

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I keep reading your post but everything after "Pictochat 2 is the greatest stage in all Smash history" made no sense.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's a game, what "collections" would a character fill out/complete by being playable in Smash? Even the Disconfirmed ones.

Waluigi: Brawl Speculation, Mario/Wario bros, Mario Spin-off Default cast
Krystal: Brawl Speculation, Star Fox PCs, Super Smash Flash 2 characters
Bandanna Waddle Dee: Smash 4 Speculation, Kirby's Return to Dreamland cast, Super Smash Flash 2 characters
Geno: Brawl Speculation, Mii Costumes

What are yours?

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
It's definitely one of the best. It's a great competitive stage with a unique layout but with random elements such as Randall that make it interesting casually as well.
I keep reading your post but everything after "Pictochat 2 is the greatest stage in all Smash history" made no sense.
I don't know about the stage, but I used to play it all the time just for the music

link2702

Smash Champion
Why, just why do people feel that death threats are necessary here??
Just outta curiosity do we know for absolute certainty he even received death threats? He’s already been busted as a liar, so what’s stopping him from lying on that?

Iridium

Smash Hero
Also, is there no other way to get that poster without pre-ordering at an actual GameStop store? Not even sure about anywhere else, and I would be happy to know there are other ways.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Just outta curiosity do we know for absolute certainty he even received death threats? He’s already been busted as a liar, so what’s stopping him from lying on that?
I just assume everyone receives death threats if they're remotely popular nowadays.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Here's a game, what "collections" would a character fill out/complete by being playable in Smash? Even the Disconfirmed ones.

Waluigi: Brawl Speculation, Mario/Wario bros, Mario Spin-off Default cast
Krystal: Brawl Speculation, Star Fox PCs, Super Smash Flash 2 characters
Bandanna Waddle Dee: Smash 4 Speculation, Kirby's Return to Dreamland cast, Super Smash Flash 2 characters
Geno: Brawl Speculation, Mii Costumes

What are yours?
Dixie: Finish the Dk line up, various red herrings from Diddy(jab combo, final smash and color palette theories).

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Well, it just seems likely considering this is the smash community we're talking about...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom