• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
"Bobo and Taj". Hahahahaha...
Taj?!? That's the elephant genie from Diddy Kong Racing. What would he be doing in a follow-up to Super Mario RPG? I must say, the thought of Nintendo, Square Enix, and Rareware all collaborating on a single game has me intrigued.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
How should Agumon use Digievolutions in Smash?

Energy Bar (Like Little Mac)
Final Smash
Down + B

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
In the Isaac thread, it was pointed out how all of the previous stage rosters designed like a box were completely filled up, with just one space left open for the DLC button in 3DS/Wii U's case.

Hm...that's one wide DLC button in Ultimate...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm personally hoping for a direct next week.

But that's because for the two weeks after next week, I'll be super busy with schoolwork and midterms.
Watching it live is gonna be really hard for me for the first half of November, so I'm hoping it's soon too.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
As I've mentioned before, my birthday is in the first week of November, so a direct then would be absolutely lovely.

Would gladly take news before then though

Untouch

Smash Master
I've seen a lot of people say that the remaining 6 empty slots can be used for DLC.
No, this still leaves empty slots if you don't have the DLC and limits the amount of stage DLC to 6.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
EDIT: That, or there will be no returning fighters except the original 12, and everyone else will be a newcomer, with a smaller roster size, maybe brawl sized?
How would that even work? Fawful or Kamek without Bowser, Vatti or Yuga without Ganondorf, Pauline nstead of Peach,etc. It wouldn't work.

D

Deleted member

They should just port Ultimate with more fighters and stages in the next system.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I've seen a lot of people say that the remaining 6 empty slots can be used for DLC.
No, this still leaves empty slots if you don't have the DLC and limits the amount of stage DLC to 6.
Yeah. I agree. I highly doubt that the empty spaces are for DLC.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Next game will be a reboot with only a select few characters, and no newcomers. Calling it now.

EDIT: That, or there will be no returning fighters except the original 12, and everyone else will be a newcomer, with a smaller roster size, maybe brawl sized?
only if every character has like 100 special moves like a tekken character

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
As I've mentioned before, my birthday is in the first week of November, so a direct then would be absolutely lovely.

Would gladly take news before then though
Easy fix--just make yourself born a week earlier, we should get an announcement any day now. :grin:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’m not sure that Sakurai or Nintendo would be able to convince anybody to buy a game with far less content over Ultimate. I just don’t see the appeal personally. But we’ve been over that many times before.

I think they’re far better off updating the current build and adding onto it over time. It’d be hell to balance it over and over again, but the alternative is a game I know I probably wouldn’t be interested in, and this is a person who has always loved Smash and looked forward to each new game.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Am I the only one hoping we get sweet sugar instead of salt? 25g of sodium is fatal, compared to 2kg of sugar.

(disclaimer: this is a joke based off of a minute of Google searching, do not get medical advice from a stupid forum post)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I could see this happening but wouldn't they have to bother the five third parties with paperwork for their characters yet again?
Yeah. They will have to ask third parties to get the rights to their characters again. There is also the possibility that they could refuse.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I want Sakurai to pour gasoline all over Smash Brothers, toss a match on it, then walk into the sunset while we enjoy the world's greatest bonfire party.

And we never saw Sakurai again... exclusively on a Nintendo platform.

D

Deleted member

I’m not sure that Sakurai or Nintendo would be able to convince anybody to buy a game with far less content over Ultimate. I just don’t see the appeal personally. But we’ve been over that many times before.

I think they’re far better off updating the current build and adding onto it over time. It’d be hell to balance it over and over again, but the alternative is a game I know I probably wouldn’t be interested in, and this is a person who has always loved Smash and looked forward to each new game.
They could easily convince me with new modes, tweaked physics, and different character selections. Honestly, though, who knows where the series ends up after this and its DLC (if there is any) is done. However, I don't think they'll just keep porting Ultimate. They will inevitably make a new Smash game, and yeah, it's probably not going to have nearly as many characters as this one. However, there are ways to get around that and still make a game potentially even better than the last. Characters aren't the end all be all of Smash IMO, so even if the next game is a roster reboot, I have no doubts it'll be a good game if they handle it correctly.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I want Sakurai to pour gasoline all over Smash Brothers, toss a match on it, then walk into the sunset while we enjoy the world's greatest bonfire party.

And we never saw Sakurai again... exclusively on a Nintendo platform.
Watch his next project be a Banjo Kazooie reboot for Microsoft...

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still say the next best approach for Smash after this is a Vs. crossover fighting game like Marvel vs. Capcom. It'd be a new yet very different approach while keeping its tradition as a fighting game.

Or simply put a spin-off like some crossover RPG or such.

Because the only way for Smash to continue and have sells is if they just keep re-releasing Ultimate but with character, stage, item, etc. updates. Whose gonna buy the next game with the majority of characters cut? Either any of that or make this the last game although Nintendo obviously won't due to how popular of a money maker it is.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I still say the next best approach for Smash after this is a Vs. crossover fighting game like Marvel vs. Capcom. It'd be a new yet very different approach while keeping its tradition as a fighting game.
Still hoping for Nintendo Vs Capcom...
We all need to see Phoenix Wright interrogating Pikachu

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Speaking of guest characters.

I feel like Sir Daniel Fortesque could make for a Playstation exclusive DLC in Soul Calibur VI.

LetterO

Smash Lord

Or simply put a spin-off like some crossover RPG or such.

Because the only way for Smash to continue and have sells is if they just keep re-releasing Ultimate but with character, stage, item, etc. updates. Whose gonna buy the next game with the majority of characters cut? Either any of that or make this the last game although Nintendo obviously won't due to how popular of a money maker it is.
Changing the gameplay of Smash Bros takes out the Smash and makes it just another Health Bar fighting game. I really don't want this drastic of a change.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
So, which third-party company has shown themselves to be the most willing to put their content in Smash? Just taking things in consideration for Smash overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom