• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Don't toy with my heart like that. :eek: Sakurai pays more respect to an IP in one button of Mario's overalls than Microsoft have ever treated their entire Rare property.
Mostly. Sometimes he seems to completely ignore or misinterpret certain aspects of a character. Like Wario. Hell, Wario's overall buttons in Ultimate are competely wrong!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So, which third-party company has shown themselves to be the most willing to put their content in Smash? Just taking things in consideration for Smash overall.
Weirdly enough, Konami. Konami now has 3 characters, 2 stages, a boss, an item, two Assist Trophies, and 34 music tracks from Castlevania alone.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Both are bad ideas. We don't need to change Smash Bros for the sake of changing it. It's already good enough the way it is.
If you had to give me the choice though I'd much prefer a vs. crossover game, spin-off or continuous port with character, stage, item, etc. updates.

Mostly. Sometimes he seems to completely ignore or misinterpret certain aspects of a character. Like Wario. Hell, Wario's overall buttons in Ultimate are competely wrong!
I was saddened to see his shoulder bash gone in Smash For. So happy to have it back as a dash attack which makes more sense than a side smash attack.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Weirdly enough, Konami. Konami now has 3 characters, 2 stages, a boss, an item, two Assist Trophies, and 34 music tracks from Castlevania alone.
Aka "We want all of you to forget about pachinko machines and Kojima"

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Both are bad ideas. We don't need to change Smash Bros for the sake of changing it. It's already good enough the way it is.
We have to change Smash because it can't top Ultimate. It can't keep adding more to what this game has. So the only thing to do is to go in a different direction. And look, tons of series like Super Mario go in different directions all the time and it doesn't stop being a Mario game.

Super Mario World is nothing like Super Mario 64 but they are still both awesome Mario games. Let Smash expand its horizons.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Makes sense. I really want to see more Capcom content, whether it be characters, music, stages or whatever, but Castlevania satisfies me anyway.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
We have to change Smash because it can't top Ultimate. It can't keep adding more to what thks game has. So the only thing to do is to go in a different direction. And look tons of series like Super Mario go in different directions all the time and it doesn't stop being a Mario game.
If we do have to go there then two of the three options I stated above is the way to go IMO. I especially want something like Nintendo vs. Shonen Jump. Just imagine the gameplay being a hybrid of Smash and Dragon Ball FighterZ.

Nintendo vs. Capcom is probably more likely anyways...

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I still say the next best approach for Smash after this is a Vs. crossover fighting game like Marvel vs. Capcom. It'd be a new yet very different approach while keeping its tradition as a fighting game.

Or simply put a spin-off like some crossover RPG or such.

Because the only way for Smash to continue and have sells is if they just keep re-releasing Ultimate but with character, stage, item, etc. updates. Whose gonna buy the next game with the majority of characters cut? Either any of that or make this the last game although Nintendo obviously won't due to how popular of a money maker it is.
If they must make a new Smash game rather than continuing Ultimate, I think the approach would be to cut half the roster, as Sakurai alluded to considering, completely revamped with new elements to attract new players. Ultimate would continue being the ultimate Smash game for fans, whereas this new reboot would perhaps have ideas Sakurai has had over the years, but refrained from doing in fear of alienating old fans.

For instance it could be a game in the "Smash" series, but not particularly Smash Bros, rebranded to emphasize it's a completely new concept. I've seen many people watch the Smash Ultimate Direct saying they'd love it, except they can't get into the mechanics. Ideally both would exist simultaneously, giving something to old fans and new, though Sakurai would unlikely helm both--perhaps one would be given to a successor. Food for thought.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Crazy idea, but maybe if they're looking for a Smash reboot they could make it a 3D-space fighter like Power Stone or something, instead of just a two-dimensional one. Would that ever work?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm all for a reboot with less characters, if this means more focus on improving the gameplay and the balance.
And I wouldn't mind no third parties, yes they are cool but I think the identity of the series would be stronger if it was just about Nintendo.
Also I would like a better representation of the history of Nintendo and less characters/content added only because it's recent or temporarily popular at the moment (such as Pichu in Melee, for example).

D

Deleted member

Well then.

He knows something we don't.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
If we do have to go there then two of the three options I stated above is the way to go IMO. I especially want something like Nintendo vs. Shonen Jump. Just imagine the gameplay being a hybrid of Smash and Dragon Ball FighterZ.

Nintendo vs. Capcom is probably more likely anyways...
No. In order for it to maintain it's identity it still needs to be about video game characters smashing eachother off the screen. However... What if it was in played in full 3D instead of 2D?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If a Smash reboot were to happen, I'd happily cut a lot of veterans, items, and returning stages to receive revamps to existing characters, upgraded assist trophies, decloned characters, newcomers and more balanced stages.

Everyone is Here is neat, but it exemplifies my greatest gripe with Sakurai. He's afraid of change, and he'd rather keep characters and stages the same, even if they were last minute decisions.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
No. In order for it to maintain it's identity it still needs to be about video game characters Smash players off the screen. However... What if it was in played in full 3D instead of 2D?
Agree to disagree then. You have every right to and won't change your opinion. ;)

beans

Smash Lord
Crazy idea, but maybe if they're looking for a Smash reboot they could make it a 3D-space fighter like Power Stone or something, instead of just a two-dimensional one. Would that ever work?
They should make it an action rpg where you go to different worlds based on different franchises to fight a common treath and an alliance of villains from those franchi-- And its Kingdom Hearts

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I don't want another Smash game after this. Once Ultimate comes out, lives its life, all DLC is released, and etc then I want it to die. I want the very last update to be the release of the tools the developers use to make the the game, kinda like how Valve does things. It will truly be the Ultimate Smash game once everyone from Buzz Buzz to Shrek is in the game and made by the players.

link2702

Smash Champion
People aren’t sure how they could reboot the series after ultimate with a smaller roster but honestly I think they could do so by having a huge shake up with physics and characters movesets. Like say they completely change all core (original veterans) characters current move sets. Mario has completely different moves involving cappy and fludd for instance, samus has the ability to beam swap among other things, and her arm canon and projectiles are involved in far more than her specials.
Basically starting from scratch for movesets with everyone. Also having custom moves return and basically being far more ambitious than in 4, where it’s not just a variation of an original special.

Reboot usually means starting again from the drawing board. I can see them doing that after ultimate. Will it turn some fans off? Of course, sadly there’d be no way around that. But honestly they’re gonna lose fans regardless after ultimate because there’s just no way to achieve what they’re doing a second time with ultimate, so they might as well try something else completely different. For all we know the changes might be so well received that people want smash to continue down that path.

But honestly? We might as well put all that to the back of our minds, ultimate hasn’t even been released yet, let’s not worry too much about what happens after it.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
>or two

If they’re two directs with Smash info, that’d be a first
Maybe a general Nintendo direct with a character trailer, then a Smash Direct as well?

Also maybe a Pokemon direct with Incineroar (though probably not)

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Konami actually has three Assist Trophies (Bomberman, Gray Fox, Alucard).

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Concerning Konami:
It may have been hip to (justly) dislike them but yet here we are. Interesting how Sakurai is friends with Kojima but isn't opposed to including a broad spectrum of Konami content.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Cutting characters would only lead to disappointment, Sakurai knows this, it's why Ultimate exists. That's why they should just add DLC characters while it's on Switch, and port it with new characters/stages/modes as long as they possibly can.

Then maybe do a Tekken style game (or something completely different) with like 12-15 characters way down the road, and label it a spinoff.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Reboot usually means starting again from the drawing board. I can see them doing that after ultimate. Will it turn some fans off? Of course, sadly there’d be no way around that. But honestly they’re gonna lose fans regardless after ultimate because there’s just no way to achieve what they’re doing a second time with ultimate, so they might as well try something else completely different. For all we know the changes might be so well received that people want smash to continue down that path.
This is completely correct. People really don't understand the Pandora's Box that Ultimate has opened. You just can't do another game like this one.

Besides, I've been playing Smash for 20 years. It's a bout time for a shake up.

Well... In about 6 or 7 years from now when another game is needed.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Isaac vs. Gaara - Earth-based fighters
King K. Rool vs. Blackbeard - Evil pirates
Mario vs. Goku - Mascots
Medusa vs. Orochimaru - Serpentine antagonists
Meta Knight vs. Kenpachi - Honorable rivals
Palutena vs. Saori Kido - Mentors of divine champions
Pikachu vs. Killua - Electric-based fighters
Pit vs. Pegasus Seiya - Gods chosen champions
Takamaru vs. Kenshin Himura - Samurais

Come on guys you all know that you want it. You can't fight it. :evil::p

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Wouldn't Boshi technically be a Mario series character like how Waluigi is despite ties to Wario? Boshi was only ever in a Mario game, never a Yoshi one.
Not if he's in as an Echo. Plus, if they can consider the SMW-inspired Yoshi's Island Melee stage a "Yoshi" stage, it tells me there's more wiggle room for what can be considered "Mario" or "Yoshi"

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
When the Smash reboot inevitably cuts most of the roster to build it back up we're gonna see people who treat Ultimate the same way competitive purists treat Melee. Which is fine. If the new games don't have what you want, you can keep playing the old games. I'd rather have new games with new content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom