• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Isaac vs. Gaara - Earth-based fighters
King K. Rool vs. Blackbeard - Evil pirates
Mario vs. Goku - Mascots
Medusa vs. Orochimaru - Serpentine antagonists
Meta Knight vs. Kenpachi - Honorable rivals
Palutena vs. Saori Kido - Mentors of divine champions
Pikachu vs. Killua - Electric-based fighters
Pit vs. Pegasus Seiya - Gods chosen champions
Takamaru vs. Kenshin Himura - Samurais

Come on guys you all know that you want it. You can't fight it. :evil::p
Smash is more than just a change of characters. If they are going to reboot it they need to change the gameplay first and formost. Then we'll talk characters.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Isaac vs. Gaara - Earth-based fighters
King K. Rool vs. Blackbeard - Evil pirates
Mario vs. Goku - Mascots
Medusa vs. Orochimaru - Serpentine antagonists
Meta Knight vs. Kenpachi - Honorable rivals
Palutena vs. Saori Kido - Mentors of divine champions
Pikachu vs. Killua - Electric-based fighters
Pit vs. Pegasus Seiya - Gods chosen champions
Takamaru vs. Kenshin Himura - Samurais

Come on guys you all know that you want it. You can't fight it. :evil::p
Nah, I like Nintendo and I love shonen, having grown up with tons of them (Reborn! being a guilty pleasure of mine), but I'd never actually like to see them cross over. I'd much rather see video game against video game, then that.

Plus, it doesn't help that most shonen crossovers are brainless 3d arena fighters obsessed with style over substance.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
This is completely correct. People really don't understand the Pandora's Box that Ultimate has opened. You just can't do another game like this one.

Besides, I've been playing Smash for 20 years. It's a bout time for a shake up.

Well... In about 6 or 7 years from now when another game is needed.
True stuff, Ultimate in its current form won't be topped. It's why I'm grateful for what we have now, and I see it as a true celebration of the series.

Also, true to its Japanese subtitle, it is indeed Special, which seems like it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I'll enjoy Ultimate in all its glory for years to come, and if Sakurai deems it necessary to change up the formula for the next game, then I'm all for it. As a fellow fan of Smash since 64, I wouldn't mind a change in mechanics if need be, provided it still carries the spirit of Smash going forward.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
When the Smash reboot inevitably cuts most of the roster to build it back up we're gonna see people who treat Ultimate the same way competitive purists treat Melee. Which is fine. If the new games don't have what you want, you can keep playing the old games. I'd rather have new games with new content.
I really hope Ultimate is the Melee Killer. Sick of the Melee fans putting others down for having a different opinion about Melee.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I always found Yoshi's separation from the Mario series weird. He's a Mario character if you look at it objectively.
Ever since Yoshi Story, Yoshi's been taken off his leash. And good for him (and if Wario gets his own series, certainly Yoshi should).

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Well then.

He knows something we don't.
I feel it now, Two direct.
One general that end with a Smash direct announcement start of november
One final smash direct end of november
and The first DLC announcement at the VGA in december

It kinda make sense if they're right about everything, a nice roadplan until the end and the release of Ultimate

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Nah, I like Nintendo and I love shonen, having grown up with tons of them (Reborn! being a guilty pleasure of mine), but I'd never actually like to see them cross over. I'd much rather see video game against video game, then that.

Plus, it doesn't help that most shonen crossovers are brainless 3d arena fighters obsessed with style over substance.
Well to be fair Nintendo vs. Capcom is probably more likely anyways but I can still dream for such a vs. fighting game.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I always found Yoshi's separation from the Mario series weird. He's a Mario character if you look at it objectively.
Yoshi's been getting his own set of games even before Yoshi's Island. I prefer the separation, but I also DON'T want it to be subject to the unfair "it's only a Mario sub-series" standard

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well to be fair Nintendo vs. Capcom is probably more likely anyways but I can still dream for such a vs. fighting game.
If it was DBFZ style "simpe to pick up, but hard to master" I'd absolutely adore it, buuuuuuut looking at Jumpforce and Jump Stars VS. my hopes for a skill-centric shonen jump game are low.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Yoshi's been getting his own set of games even before Yoshi's Island. I prefer the separation, but I also DON'T want it to be subject to the unfair "it's only a Mario sub-series" standard
Still waiting for a new Yoshi FPS

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yeah, there's no Mario in sight in Yoshi Story (I have a terrible memory, so many a Mario cameo snuck in somehow, but I don't remember any instances). I think my only issue is it's hard when a character only gets one character for being a separate series. Only way to rectify it is adding Baby Bowser and Poochy.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
You know that he pass most of the things he know as "Rumor wave" right? Just like the whole Google, steam, and Nintendo Fall line-up...
I still have an incredibly high doubt we're getting TWO nintendo directs in November

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If it was DBFZ style "simpe to pick up, but hard to master" I'd absolutely adore it, buuuuuuut looking at Jumpforce and Jump Stars VS. my hopes for a skill-centric shonen jump game are low.
I could personally picture such a game having hybrid gameplay of Smash and Dragon Ball FighterZ tbh.

A new director would be helm with Sakurai being the supervisor for movesets as well as a producer.

*Drools* I can keep dreaming as unlikely as this is.

Last edited:

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
Right, I'm just saying. Yoshi's world has always been Mario's world; in contrast to DK and Wario who have their own separate canons.

Anyway, this could be interesting...
I know Sakurai said if they didn't go the "everyone is here" route and started from scratch, Ultimate would've only included a third of the characters it has. I don't think he'd go that far, so I made a hypothetical roster if Smash cut about half its characters. This might've been before Ridley (and everyone after) was revealed, but idk if that changes anything.

Taking another look at it, I don't think they'd even include Peach, but this is just a guess anyway. It doesn't have to be exactly this many characters, but there's 32 here.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Just thinking to myself all the stuff that needs to be covered for the following Direct. I think it's quite obvious Smash has to get another Direct. It IS the biggest Nintendo game of the fall.

- If they're in, Incineroar and Ken. Incineroar would probably get coverage similar to Simon if he's introduced at the beginning. Ken would probably get something like Chrom and Dark Samus.
- If there's DLC, that could be right after Ken to shut down doubters, or at the end. I'm not sure what the right call would be here myself.
- Spirits mode. Probably significant coverage of it here, showing off bosses, progression, etc
- how to unlock characters (amiibo usage)
- mii fighter costumes
- online lobbies (for glory/for fun, yadda yadda)
- trophies, if they're still a thing (tbh I liked collecting them...at least for the fighters)
- final assist trophies and pokemon
- All Star mode
- Stage Builder

That's really all I can think of at this point, unless someone can remind me of something else. That's QUITE a bit to cover in one Direct. But who's complaining?

On the tweets that suggest we'd get two Directs in Novembers, with at least one being Smash that seems to go Directly against the idea of beating leaks to the punch of who's in the game. I'll believe it when I see it.

Early November, maybe. Late November? No way. I don't think they want to risk that, especially when they really don't have to.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Probably Yoshi would have never got a chance to be playable in Smash (much like Toad) if they considered him a Mario character. He is in the game as representative of his own spin-off series, and he (or his species) is the protagonist of the series he represents.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Yeah, there's no Mario in sight in Yoshi Story (I have a terrible memory, so many a Mario cameo snuck in somehow, but I don't remember any instances). I think my only issue is it's hard when a character only gets one character for being a separate series. Only way to rectify it is adding Baby Bowser and Poochy.
>suggests a new Yoshi rep
>doesn't mention Kamek

beans

Smash Lord
I could personally picture such a game having hybrid gameplay of Smash and Dragon Ball FighterZ tbh.

A new director would be helm with Sakurai being the supervisor for movesets as well as a producer.

*Drools* I can keep dreaming as unlikely as this is.
This reminds me of that somewhat Smash clone for the DS about Shonen Jump
That never got localized and got shafted for 3D arena fighters instead
You were too good for this world Jump Ultimate Stars

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Get out of here Opossum.
Hey now...

...I'd keep Little Mac, Pac-Man, Simon, the Pokémon characters, and the greater Mario universe characters as well. :p

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Right, I'm just saying. Yoshi's world has always been Mario's world; in contrast to DK and Wario who have their own separate canons.

Anyway, this could be interesting...
I know Sakurai said if they didn't go the "everyone is here" route and started from scratch, Ultimate would've only included a third of the characters it has. I don't think he'd go that far, so I made a hypothetical roster if Smash cut about half its characters. This might've been before Ridley (and everyone after) was revealed, but idk if that changes anything.

Taking another look at it, I don't think they'd even include Peach, but this is just a guess anyway. It doesn't have to be exactly this many characters, but there's 32 here.
Except for the times it wasn't (Yoshi's Woolly World and now supposedly Yoshi's Crafted World).

Anyways Yoshi would ABSOLUTELY get on that reboot roster

SonicMario

Smash Master
No way in hell are we getting TWO more Sonic characters. Get real.
Not in the base game sure.

But one being an echo (Shadow) regardless in the base or not. And then one that's a semi-clone? (Tails) Not impossible.

And if neither's in the base game. Guess what makes a good idea for a DLC package if Echo Fighters sometimes have packages with unique/semi-clone fighters.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Question: Since the front heavy information on Smash is already revealed to us from the previous Smash direct...do you guys think the rest of the information will come in general directs? Or do at least 2 more character reveals+the unrevealed mode offer enough to occupy a half hour presentation?

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
Except for the times it wasn't (Yoshi's Woolly World and now supposedly Yoshi's Crafted World).

Anyways Yoshi would ABSOLUTELY get on that reboot roster
Yeah, you could probably put him over Peach. If they couldn't make a large roster they probably wouldn't go putting in characters that don't do much, and Yoshi plays pretty unique.

If I was just trying to pick who I'd want there'd probably be no Ike, Lucario, Sonic, Ness, Shulk, Bayo, and I'd love K. Rool but we got lucky with that one. I'm just trying to guess who Sakurai and Nintendo would proiritize, and mainstays like Captain Falcon despite his series' death.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom